Bike Hate by Austereo FM Radio Station

The 2nd Womble

Re: Bike Hate by Austereo FM Radio Station

Postby The 2nd Womble » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:27 pm

Speaking of podcasts, it's not on the SAFM site but can anyone find me a link to this morning? I love the sound of my own voice.
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:46 pm

The 2nd Womble wrote:Speaking of podcasts, it's not on the SAFM site but can anyone find me a link to this morning? I love the sound of my own voice.

:lol:

Seriously though - thanks for your hard work in advocating for cyclists
2012 Oppy A4

AndyTheMan

Postby AndyTheMan » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:20 pm

liquor box wrote:
If Angus does actually ride to work, it would be great if someone from Cycling SA orr similar offered to ride with him a couple of times to show him what others face on a commute, maybe it could be broadcast as well to raise awareness.
This is a brilliant idea.

Sell it to him as 'making peace' after his silly Facebook post, and if it was done with live crosses to radio, would be a good project in cycling advocacy.

AndyTheMan

Postby AndyTheMan » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:22 pm

KonaCommuter wrote:
The 2nd Womble wrote:Speaking of podcasts, it's not on the SAFM site but can anyone find me a link to this morning? I love the sound of my own voice.

:lol:

Seriously though - thanks for your hard work in advocating for cyclists
Yes, 1000 times this.

In a world where cycling seems to have so few strong advocates (especially up here in bogan town, nsw). It's great to see some active cycling advocacy, even for things such as stupid Facebook posts.

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:15 pm

Thanks guys. I wasn't even too bothered by Angus' post tbh, however I was fed up with the typical responses. I had to bite my tongue to the point of bleeding today though. I posted on SAFM's wall thanking them for the opportunity to let me explain what I did and why Angus needed to be more careful, and the brogan brigade came out firing yet again. Cyclists have to grow up/what right did I have to refer to serial drivers as couch potatoes/leave Brittany alone/my septum s in need of alignment because of you type crap. Some people will just never get it, and it's those that these half hearted "education" campaigns are always set to target. You can lead a horse to water but you can't shoot it in front of the kiddies?
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:57 pm

interestingly, when i posted this thread, and had my discourse with Angus about his twitter/FB postings, i fired off some emails to BikeSA, Cycling SA, and Cycling Australia, inviting their thoughts and comments. As yet, I havent had any reply, not that i really expected any, as I didnt think it would rate high on their radars.... Poor form i think, especially by BikeSA. Just reminds me why i never renewed my membership with them, and is another example of their committment to safer cycling....

AndyTheMan

Postby AndyTheMan » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:34 pm

Dr_Mutley wrote:interestingly, when i posted this thread, and had my discourse with Angus about his twitter/FB postings, i fired off some emails to BikeSA, Cycling SA, and Cycling Australia, inviting their thoughts and comments. As yet, I havent had any reply, not that i really expected any, as I didnt think it would rate high on their radars.... Poor form i think, especially by BikeSA. Just reminds me why i never renewed my membership with them, and is another example of their committment to safer cycling....
I had this idea once that we have a BNA Cycling Forum 'letter/email of the week' topic.

Basically, each week we have some type of consensus around one particular topic - be that a road transport policy, or dangerous driving by a guy in a vehicle marked with company logos or whatever pops up (such as this Austereo thing).

Then, we all agree to email/write to whoever it is for that particular week.

So, you could have a situation where a company/person makes some stupid comment about cyclists, and they end up getting 100 emails from cyclists (ie us) telling them what we think....

It seemed to work with the Austereo mob in the last week or so, so why don't we do this every week ....?

Thoughts