First tumble....

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: First tumble....

Postby 15wilsonwu » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:16 pm

uncle arthur wrote:The question is have you fallen off since?

If not then you learned your lesson :)

In the end - gravity works :mrgreen:


I dont think I ever cornered properly after falling :?
Everytime i turn into a corner, my mind just convinces me i'm gonna fail last time :cry:
So right now, im just sitting here waiting for my new tyres (GP4000s), It probably wouldnt do much but it does boost confidence.
I love riding, not training
User avatar
15wilsonwu
 
Posts: 619
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 9:31 pm

by BNA » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:22 pm

BNA
 

Re: First tumble....

Postby 15wilsonwu » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:22 pm

Beautiful! The young ladies should be all over you now!

It'll eventually clear up, but you'll still see it. I've got a good one on my right knee as well from over a year ago.


Even if I have a lisp? :P
I love riding, not training
User avatar
15wilsonwu
 
Posts: 619
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 9:31 pm

Re: First tumble....

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:43 pm

foo on patrol wrote:Was that a slip Shaun? ^^

Foo


Not me Foo, just a G image search.

I tried for years to get one the honourable way without luck so in the end, I went to see a mate who does ink tatts and got me avatar on the right calf. He did a great job. I also discovered that calf tatts hurt more than any other part of the body I've had done. :o

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 26334
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

Re: First tumble....

Postby 15wilsonwu » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:56 am

Image
This is what it looks like now...
I love riding, not training
User avatar
15wilsonwu
 
Posts: 619
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 9:31 pm

Re: First tumble....

Postby 15wilsonwu » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:58 am

http://s1321.photobucket.com/user/15wil ... sort=3&o=0

Pic didnt work on my ipad, so heres the link.
I love riding, not training
User avatar
15wilsonwu
 
Posts: 619
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 9:31 pm

Re: First tumble....

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:54 pm

That will go down a fair bit over the next 20yrs! :mrgreen:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km
Image
User avatar
foo on patrol
 
Posts: 4663
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:12 am
Location: Sanstone Point QLD

Re: First tumble....

Postby dougalh » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:21 pm

Image
Join the club mate.
I did the same, cornered too fast on my way to school.
Left knee right elbow too!

Luckily the shop owner of the shop ride I go with saturday morning was passing and made sure I'd be alright to get back to school and hadn't broken anything. Rolled slowly to school but it was too much for the nurse to fix. Even luckier is the fact my school is across the road from the kids hospital so I hobbled over to get stitched up, xrayed and bandaged. Count yourself lucky :P
dougalh
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:00 am

Re: First tumble....

Postby 15wilsonwu » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:44 pm

dougalh wrote:Image
Join the club mate.
I did the same, cornered too fast on my way to school.
Left knee right elbow too!

Luckily the shop owner of the shop ride I go with saturday morning was passing and made sure I'd be alright to get back to school and hadn't broken anything. Rolled slowly to school but it was too much for the nurse to fix. Even luckier is the fact my school is across the road from the kids hospital so I hobbled over to get stitched up, xrayed and bandaged. Count yourself lucky :P


Oooo, looks pretty nasty
I love riding, not training
User avatar
15wilsonwu
 
Posts: 619
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 9:31 pm

Re: First tumble....

Postby Petee » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:11 pm

I don't remember ever falling off a bike, just that one time a year ago when I was offroad on loose pebbles and I decided it would be smart to tackle the corner standing up, pushing with all my strength. lol rear end slid out 90 degrees and i fell on my side.
Petee
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:34 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: First tumble....

Postby 15wilsonwu » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:47 pm

what were you thinking? haha :lol:

btw, does pawpaw cream get rid of scars?
I love riding, not training
User avatar
15wilsonwu
 
Posts: 619
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 9:31 pm

Re: First tumble....

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:02 am

Vitamin E is best unless it was your face, I wouldn't worry to much mate,because they will fade over time. :)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km
Image
User avatar
foo on patrol
 
Posts: 4663
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:12 am
Location: Sanstone Point QLD

Re: First tumble....

Postby 15wilsonwu » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:52 pm

It seems what I have acquired is a keloid scar. According to the internets, it has to be surgically removed or it won't bugger :(
I love riding, not training
User avatar
15wilsonwu
 
Posts: 619
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 9:31 pm

Re: First tumble....

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:10 pm

Yep I've got one of those on my elbow, fairly minor scratch in a crash a year or 2 back but it was in winter and long sleeves + healing scar + sweat= improper healing. I'm used to it now so I wouldn't bother getting it cut off. Most people are more bothered by the missing teeth anyway :lol: .
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
User avatar
ldrcycles
 
Posts: 7091
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:19 pm
Location: Kin Kin, Queensland

Re: First tumble....

Postby 15wilsonwu » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:12 pm

ldrcycles wrote:Yep I've got one of those on my elbow, fairly minor scratch in a crash a year or 2 back but it was in winter and long sleeves + healing scar + sweat= improper healing. I'm used to it now so I wouldn't bother getting it cut off. Most people are more bothered by the missing teeth anyway :lol: .


Guess knocking a tooth out is the way to go :lol:
I love riding, not training
User avatar
15wilsonwu
 
Posts: 619
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 9:31 pm

Re: First tumble....

Postby ironhanglider » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:39 pm

Keloid scars can't be 'cut out' because that will leave a wound which will heal with another keloid scar. What they do is minimise it by removing as much of the tissue within the boundaries of the existing scar and drag the edges together to make the scar smaller.

The good news is that they can reduce over time (years not weeks) and faster at extremities rather than the core.

My wife has a keloid scar about 30mm long on her shoulder as a legacy of a vaccination as a child.

Our first child was born through caesarian section in 2008 and she got another keloid scar. Our second child was also born through caesarian section and the surgeon opened up the same scar and ended up reducing its appearance considerably.

She broke her leg in 2008 and required surgery and various bits of metal inserted below the knee. Most of that scar has now faded to be no longer noticeable.

Cheers,

Cameron
ironhanglider
 
Posts: 1207
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:44 pm
Location: Bruce, ACT

Re: First tumble....

Postby 15wilsonwu » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:20 pm

ironhanglider wrote:Keloid scars can't be 'cut out' because that will leave a wound which will heal with another keloid scar. What they do is minimise it by removing as much of the tissue within the boundaries of the existing scar and drag the edges together to make the scar smaller.

The good news is that they can reduce over time (years not weeks) and faster at extremities rather than the core.

My wife has a keloid scar about 30mm long on her shoulder as a legacy of a vaccination as a child.

Our first child was born through caesarian section in 2008 and she got another keloid scar. Our second child was also born through caesarian section and the surgeon opened up the same scar and ended up reducing its appearance considerably.

She broke her leg in 2008 and required surgery and various bits of metal inserted below the knee. Most of that scar has now faded to be no longer noticeable.

Cheers,

Cameron


Thanks for the information Cameron. Guess dem scars wont interfere with finding a partner eh? :mrgreen:
I love riding, not training
User avatar
15wilsonwu
 
Posts: 619
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 9:31 pm

Re: First tumble....

Postby ironhanglider » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:40 pm

15wilsonwu wrote:
ironhanglider wrote:Keloid scars can't be 'cut out' because that will leave a wound which will heal with another keloid scar. What they do is minimise it by removing as much of the tissue within the boundaries of the existing scar and drag the edges together to make the scar smaller.

The good news is that they can reduce over time (years not weeks) and faster at extremities rather than the core.

My wife has a keloid scar about 30mm long on her shoulder as a legacy of a vaccination as a child.

Our first child was born through caesarian section in 2008 and she got another keloid scar. Our second child was also born through caesarian section and the surgeon opened up the same scar and ended up reducing its appearance considerably.

She broke her leg in 2008 and required surgery and various bits of metal inserted below the knee. Most of that scar has now faded to be no longer noticeable.

Cheers,

Cameron


Thanks for the information Cameron. Guess dem scars wont interfere with finding a partner eh? :mrgreen:


Hi 15willsonwu,

I'm lucky that I don't get keloid scars, but I do have quite a collection since I have raced since I was 8 and managed to crash quite a few times, particularly in my teens. Worthwhile partners aren't bothered by physical scars. :wink:

But my big tip is to work on your skills so that you are less likely to crash. A mate of mine had an uncanny ability to stay upright when there was a bunch crash going on around him. We used to train in a bunch that regularly rubbed elbows, leaned on each other and even rubbed tyres so that when it happened in an uncontrolled environment it was at least familiar. (I used to sneak up behind people I knew on the road and would tap their back wheel just to say hello) Riders these days seem to freak out when you touch them so I don't anymore.

Cheers,

Cameron
ironhanglider
 
Posts: 1207
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:44 pm
Location: Bruce, ACT

Re: First tumble....

Postby 15wilsonwu » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:06 pm

ironhanglider wrote:
15wilsonwu wrote:
ironhanglider wrote:Keloid scars can't be 'cut out' because that will leave a wound which will heal with another keloid scar. What they do is minimise it by removing as much of the tissue within the boundaries of the existing scar and drag the edges together to make the scar smaller.

The good news is that they can reduce over time (years not weeks) and faster at extremities rather than the core.

My wife has a keloid scar about 30mm long on her shoulder as a legacy of a vaccination as a child.

Our first child was born through caesarian section in 2008 and she got another keloid scar. Our second child was also born through caesarian section and the surgeon opened up the same scar and ended up reducing its appearance considerably.

She broke her leg in 2008 and required surgery and various bits of metal inserted below the knee. Most of that scar has now faded to be no longer noticeable.

Cheers,

Cameron


Thanks for the information Cameron. Guess dem scars wont interfere with finding a partner eh? :mrgreen:


Hi 15willsonwu,

I'm lucky that I don't get keloid scars, but I do have quite a collection since I have raced since I was 8 and managed to crash quite a few times, particularly in my teens. Worthwhile partners aren't bothered by physical scars. :wink:

But my big tip is to work on your skills so that you are less likely to crash. A mate of mine had an uncanny ability to stay upright when there was a bunch crash going on around him. We used to train in a bunch that regularly rubbed elbows, leaned on each other and even rubbed tyres so that when it happened in an uncontrolled environment it was at least familiar. (I used to sneak up behind people I knew on the road and would tap their back wheel just to say hello) Riders these days seem to freak out when you touch them so I don't anymore.

Cheers,

Cameron


Cheers for the tips Cameron,
I've been in a similar situation your mate has been in - only that I'm part of the crash itself :lol:
I love riding, not training
User avatar
15wilsonwu
 
Posts: 619
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 9:31 pm

Previous

Return to General discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Ebay Ebay AU
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers