My first race (updated with 2nd race) time to change grades

open topic, for anything cycling related.

My first race (updated with 2nd race) time to change grades

Postby ratter » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:56 pm

Well had a busy week, finally assembled my new bike on the Friday and rode it around the block to test it out, well it still has no bidon holders or bar tape, but the bar tape will go on when I settle bar and hood position

On the Sunday the wife and I did the 100 leg of the around the bay in a day ride, her pace dictated the ride speed and at one stage there was quite a strong headwind which slowed most riders down. last year she averaged 20.5 klm per hour this year she managed 24.7 so she had a huge improvement.

Thursday I bit the bullet and signed up for a 3 race licence and headed out to sandown race track to compete in my first race, a criterium event using my old bike.
As I never raced before and only normally do 30-50 klms a week, the officials suggested I start in G grade (the easiest/slowest grade) but after watching races last season and hoping I was stronger than that (but never know until put to the test) I elected to start in F grade.

The weather was cold and the track was wet and we even got slightly rained on, which made the track very slippery with quite a few riders going down across the different grades, 1 needed an ambulance. The officials said the race pace was slow to the low numbers in our group and the wet slippery track.
I had nerves occurring all day thinking about it, but tried to think about it as a 1 hour training ride with a different group of people.
The race went quite well, but the nerves jumped up a bit on the last lap as the pace picked up a little.

Overall finished well and will have to head out again and give it a go another day with some bigger fields and a faster track and see how I stack up against them then, and then bring out the new bike and see how I go on that one
Last edited by ratter on Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
ratter

by BNA » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:34 pm

BNA

Re: My first race

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:34 pm

Be warned Ratter, it is addictive. I started racing with the vets this year and I love it.
Scott CR1
you cannot be sirrus

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:43 pm

Good on you ratter... didn't over think it too much and just jumped on in :D .
toolonglegs

Postby greyhoundtom » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:05 pm

Yes good on yah ratter............I know from personal experience that Sandown can be a tricky track to get around.

Southern Masters race again this Sunday at Casey Fields Criterium 9am start, and compared to Sandown it is a joy to ride that circuit.

I’m sure you will enjoy your racing as Southern Masters are a great bunch of guys to ride with. :D

[Edit]
PS. If possible ask Bill if you can ride with the G grade for one race........while they will have a bit of a sprint at a couple of hundred metres from home........the question is usually asked as to who’s turn it is to win just before the sprint.

I know I dropped my chain near the sprint point at Casey in one race, and the guys slowed down that much waiting for me they had trouble staying upright. :lol:
greyhoundtom

Postby ratter » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:15 am

Thanks guys :D

Went out and tried Casey Fields with a bigger group and dry track, a bit different this race with a couple of the more experienced racers testing the rest of the field, we had 2 do an extra 2 laps before getting the bell due to passing groups, when a few riders sighed about having to do more laps it stated to make me feel a few were struggling, I finished well and have been moved up a grade or possibly 2 for my next outing which will be a few weeks away.

could be time to debut my new bike
ratter

Re: My first race (updated with 2nd race) time to change gra

Postby kirky92au » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:27 pm

Nice work Ratter, might want to check out the Race Report Thread
kirky92au

Return to General discussion