how to make your family hate cycling -

Rhubarb

Re: how to make your family hate cycling -

Postby Rhubarb » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:05 pm

All good Fiona. :-)

Enjoy your ride tomorrow and remember that's ultimately what its all about. If you make too much of it you run the risk of over thinking the whole thing and losing the fun.

Wal42

Postby Wal42 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:45 am

Fiona, train like crazy while he's away (all of you), sandbag when he's home (he won't see it coming), when you are all close to his level & he's away, go out & buy electronic shifting bikes for all of you bar him, then blow him away, give pointers, etc. when he gets back & can't stay on the 'bunch'. All in good nature of course, it's good you guys have all gotten the cycling bug, I've seen that you've been riding a few events, all of you I think.

The family that plays together, stays together.

Seriously though, I think he's just trying to give positive encouragement, maybe buy you & the kids MP3 players to lessen some of the 'encouragement'.

fionahills

Postby fionahills » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:05 am

Had lots of fun this morning riding with SCCC - 38.5kms, average still only 22.6 but did 53.9 down a hill - that was scary - there was a really steep bit that I totally mucked up the gears and came to a screaming halt and had to get off and walk up the second half of the hill - no way could I clip back in and get rolling - tried that once before and went a over t..... :oops:

will go back during the week and tackle that brute again - I will make it !!!

I reckon an electronic motor to go with the electronic shifters would be the go!!!

will let you know how the boy responds when he's home - he's back Tuesday and we are going to play at the new crit track near Noosa - that should be fun.

It is great that we can all do it together and I do feel for him after all he has me, plus four daughters - enough to send any poor man spare

take care and have fun this weekend - I'm off to watch the 'real' riders in the elite races at Noosa - should be fun.

fiona

Ken Ho

Postby Ken Ho » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:46 pm

Hint, if you need to re-start on a hill, point your bike dow it, then do a U-turn once you are rolling and clipped in again. Much easier than trying to do it going uphill. Sure, you lose a little ground. That'll learn ya.
You have officially become your parents.

Kenzo

Postby Kenzo » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:21 pm

Not necessarily downhill, but perhaps sideways.. but still somewhat in the direction you need to go. Doing u turns can be problematic on some roads with traffic.

fionahills

Postby fionahills » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:09 pm

great advice re hill starts - seems obvious when you think about it and common sense - but it NEVER occured to me.

hmmm could be why my fella feels it necessary to give me advice all the time.....
thanks guys

fionahills

Postby fionahills » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:07 pm

Got to tell you that I finally showed this thread to my girls today before we went for a ride - we laughed so much the neighbors stuck their heads over the fence to see if we were OK - we must be very loud when all together !!! poor fella my bloke!!

Consensus was it sooo Dad - they loved your comments and were in fits over some of the suggestions you made and the youtube video - especially the line...'just want to make sure you are doing it the right way"

All agreed fit their Dad to a T - they have a new determination to launch a surprise sprint attack - just arguing now on who is in the train and who will 'do a cavendish'

I am going to suggest a race and as I pass them all (it will be a short sprint) I can claim victory - as I will be the only one who knows where the finish line is... this will teach them an important lesson on how to finally beat Dad..

Cheat
:D -

flow.rider

Postby flow.rider » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:25 pm

Drop em on the climbs. :twisted:

Ken Ho

Postby Ken Ho » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:09 pm

Kenzo wrote:Not necessarily downhill, but perhaps sideways.. but still somewhat in the direction you need to go. Doing u turns can be problematic on some roads with traffic.
Not to be argumentative, but it's safe and easy to coast very slowly down-hill while you clip in, then do a U-turn quickly using the down-hill momentum.
Going side-ways would involve crossing the road while trying to clip in, a much less safe scenario. If the U-turn is a problem due to traffic or visibility, you certainly don't want to be wobbling across the road looking at your pedals.
You have officially become your parents.

fionahills

Postby fionahills » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:20 pm

HILL UPDATE

went back yesterday and climbed them - nearly died doing it but got over them -

I sooo wanted to stop - it hurt so much But I did it - :D

BTW - the last time I tried to clip in on a hill (due to cramps in my calves on a 100km ride) I fell over trying to get started going up the hill (road rash) tried again -this time went to go sideways, ran out of road and fell over (gravel rash) and the last time I tried someone took pity and gave me a push. :oops:

hence if I ever have to stop again (but I won't cos I will spin and spin and spin!!) I wil probably head down, clipping in as I go and if its a really wide road I could do a u turn - or else as punishment I will get to the bottom turn around and just start again - that'll teach me for piking it.

fiona

Kenzo

Postby Kenzo » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:29 pm

Lol! Sorry Fiona. Must have been a skinny road :-)

fionahills

Postby fionahills » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:52 pm

no the road was fine - I am just a lousy rider :D - flat out doing a u turn on the flat - wobble,turn, wobble turn - amazing how hard it is to ride slow!!! and as for track stands!!! :evil: