Do you stop at lights? Are there exceptions

lammy

Do you stop at lights? Are there exceptions

Postby lammy » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:03 am

Just wanted to know peoples opinions about stopping at lights and the circumstances.

Myself I ALWAYS now stop at cross junctions with lights. I have to admit I didn't in the past but looking back this is madness, too many cars coming from too many directions plus pedestrians a recipe for a crash.

However I do now go through on side T junctions (below if there are no cars coming from the right hand side. And in some circumstances if there is a wide bike lane going through the junction I will still go through even if there are cars turning right as I feel there is enough road and I am not in danger. (I do pay close attention to pedestrians in these circumstances and stop if there are any at the lights (I nearly took a couple out in the past and those close call incidents make u think twice I reckon.)

| |
| |_ _ _ _ _
| _ _ _ _ _
| |
| |

I wonder if my safety compass is wrong here and I should stop at all lights? Whats your opinion? What do you do? What are your exceptions?

I also drive a car when its raining to work, but when on my bike ''genuinely'' I am 1000% more aware of the traffic and pedestrians around me. Always looking over my shoulder at road junctions, intersections, roundabouts etc. to the point of paranoia.

Perhaps people car drivers think I am crazy when I run the lights, but to me I only do it when its safe for me to do so. You can definitely be 'dead right' these days its a jungle out there for cyclists, just dont wanna be labelled as one of them crazy ones I suppose.

gossy

Re: Do you stop at lights? Are there exceptions

Postby gossy » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:06 am

Simple answer.......... Do you drive through the same intersection with your car when the lights are RED?

lammy

Postby lammy » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:11 am

gossy wrote:Simple answer.......... Do you drive through the same intersection with your car when the lights are RED?
No your absolutely right of course, but I dont have my own dedicated cycle lane when I am driving my car. I suppose that gives it the illusion of being safer perhaps?

reefer

Postby reefer » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:14 am

I always obey all the very simple road rules, but have been lambasted on here before for saying so. (27 years driving/cycling, not one accident-infringment of any sort. Road rules are truly easy to follow.)
Last edited by reefer on Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

vander

Postby vander » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:15 am

Only time I go through is at 5am when my bike doesnt trigger the change in lights. Otherwise as above I wouldnt do it in a car so I dont do it on my bike, I want cars to respect riders on the road and running reds is not the way to earn it.

RoFlmaTiC

Postby RoFlmaTiC » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:21 am

I always stop at traffic lights, but I sometimes go through those bicycle/pedestrian red lights when I'm on a shared path which crosses a road :oops:.
2011 Cervelo S2 | 2014 Cervelo P2 | 2014 Apollo Giro Disc | 2018 S Works Tarmac Ultralight | 2020 Ragley Trig Adventure

Mrfenejeans

Postby Mrfenejeans » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:31 am

vander wrote:Only time I go through is at 5am when my bike doesnt trigger the change in lights.
+1

I make a point of stopping not only because its breaking the road rules, but also because I feel it shows the drivers around me that "Hey I'm a cyclist, but i obey the same rules as you".

lammy wrote:No your absolutely right of course, but I dont have my own dedicated cycle lane when I am driving my car...
No you have your own dedicated Motor vehicle lane, which if you can't see a car coming does it make it OK to run the light? There could always be a cyclist coming through that set of lights, that you don't see who intends to come on to your dedicated cycle lane.

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:34 am

I always stop at all lights, it is just not worth the risk and besides, I like my body the way it is.

Graeme
***Looking For Information About Bicycle Cameras ***

* Bicycle Camera FAQ's *** Mounting FAQ’s & DIY Mounts *

lammy

Postby lammy » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:35 am

vander wrote:Only time I go through is at 5am when my bike doesnt trigger the change in lights. Otherwise as above I wouldnt do it in a car so I dont do it on my bike, I want cars to respect riders on the road and running reds is not the way to earn it.
With respect, regardless of the time of day, or the circumstance you have and exception also.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:38 am

vander wrote:Only time I go through is at 5am when my bike doesnt trigger the change in lights. Otherwise as above I wouldnt do it in a car so I dont do it on my bike, I want cars to respect riders on the road and running reds is not the way to earn it.
+1. I bet I know one of the intersections you're talking about, Vander. When the lights don't change, the lights can be considered "malfunctioning" and the correct thing to do is to stop, then proceed when appropriate.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:43 am

lammy wrote:
With respect, regardless of the time of day, or the circumstance you have and exception also.
No there are exceptions. Also, given Vander's recent argument with a car (driver's fault, not his), I suspect he is more careful about riding than most people are.

HelmutHerr

Postby HelmutHerr » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:52 am

Commuting home yesterday, stopped at the lights around 5.30 and the intersection busy as hell, and a guy on a road bike zooms straight through the red light at full speed.

Then, of course, someone leans out of a taxi to give me a serve about dangerous bloody cyclists not obeying the bloody law, while the rest of the drivers are nodding and staring daggers at me.

What gave me the rages more than copping flak for someone else's drooling stupidity was the way the bike twit just broke the law with a complete sense of entitlement, like the laws of the road (and physics) don't apply to Serious Cyclists.

Grr. Argh.

boss

Postby boss » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:16 pm

I run reds when safe and have no qualms about it. No kamikaze stuff, but happy to run a red regardless of time of day if I'm comfortable with the situation.

For the "you're setting a bad example" slash "you're giving us a bad name" types - if I don't do it, some other cyclist will, get off my case!

Drivers, well at least some of them, are going to be jerks to us regardless of how well behaved we are. We're the minority, easy targets.

If I'm ever called out by a driver (which has probably happened twice) they soon shut up after I ask them if they've ever broken the speed limit before.

And actually I have a funny story, once I ran a red light (8pm, no cars except for a couple waiting for the lights and a cyclist heading the same way as me). I heard some noise behind me, turned around, couldn't see much so passed it off as nothing. About a kay or two up the street I've got this older gentleman hoons up right next to me, yelling quite aggressively at me with the "bad name" type argument, to which I gave him a few wise words (spiced with a immature remark about how his phsyique spiced with form fitting lycra was probably more effective in giving us a bad name), he went red, kept yelling, this went back and forth for a while up the road. I guess he got tired of my discussion points, so then proceeded to try and run me off the road... I hopped up the gutter, got mad, realised what had just happened and started chasing the old fella! He caught a gap across a main road and I never saw him again. Since this happened on my commute, I was hoping to see him again to inform him how running other cyclists off the road isn't exactly setting the best example either.

I probably shouldn't have insulted the guy but I'm not sure what response one expects when aggressively yelling (and it was reasonably aggressive) at someone they don't know about a fairly inconsequential traffic infringement. Leave that stuff to the police and focus on things you can control!

HelmutHerr

Postby HelmutHerr » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:25 pm

jimboss wrote:For the "you're setting a bad example" slash "you're giving us a bad name" types - if I don't do it, some other cyclist will, get off my case!
Sounds like this.

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:31 pm

gossy wrote:Simple answer.......... Do you drive through the same intersection with your car when the lights are RED?
Not really that simple.
Most traffic lights are designed for motorised traffic.

A bike is not a car...
No comparison there
The dutch have one word to describe the aussie MHL, this word is ;
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:51 pm

HelmutHerr wrote:
jimboss wrote:For the "you're setting a bad example" slash "you're giving us a bad name" types - if I don't do it, some other cyclist will, get off my case!
Sounds like this.
Nice link. I am becoming better at stopping at reds etc. I'm not perfect, but realize that when I cycle on the roads and wether I like it or not my actions affect the way motorists respond to cyclists everywhere.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Pushy

Postby Pushy » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:58 pm

damhooligan wrote:
Not really that simple.

A bike is not a car...
No comparison there
Makes for interesting reading
Les
06' Giant TCR C1
08' Colnago CLX
07' Apollo Swift

VW Jetta Diesel 5.5l/100km

human909

Postby human909 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:59 pm

damhooligan wrote:Not really that simple.

A bike is not a car...
No comparison there
Exactly. A pedestrian isn't a car either. Thats why the vast majority of pedestrians I see regularly ignore red pedestrian lights.
bigfriendlyvegan wrote:When the lights don't change, the lights can be considered "malfunctioning" and the correct thing to do is to stop, then proceed when appropriate.
There is no such road rule.
GraemeL wrote:I always stop at all lights, it is just not worth the risk and besides, I like my body the way it is.
What risk? It is far more risky to blindly follow what the lights say than to ignore lights completely and proceed when it is safe.

The vast majority of the time I simply stop for red lights but I honestly feel ridiculous waiting for a red light at an empty intersection. It is an inefficient waste of time. The "risk" of me running a red light at an empty intersection is negligible. There is far more objective risk riding straight in a typical bike lane next to parked cars.

boss

Postby boss » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:08 pm

Oxford wrote:Image Thought I'd heard the best of the excuses until this gem:
if I don't do it, some other cyclist will, get off my case!
as if that somehow justifies breaking the law.
That was tongue in cheek. I don't have an excuse, I don't feel the need for one. Just being honest about my behaviour on the road.

In my opinion it's a personal decision, it doesn't affect anyone else - I don't accept the 'making us look bad' argument. You can put that argument to me until you're blue in the face and my opinion and behaviour won't change. :)

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:13 pm

There's one set of lights around my area that doesn't trigger. The rest, I'll stop at.

In QLD we're allowed on the footpaths. I do my best to obey the pedestrian lights but if the traffic lights are green, I'll go.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:16 pm

I stop at all red lights but there are 2 intersections that I tend to ignore late at night/early morning (1am-4am) due to the fact the sensors won't pick up me and my bike. They are in areas where there is no traffic around these times so I treat the lights as a stop sign.

humanbeing

Postby humanbeing » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:18 pm

HelmutHerr wrote:Commuting home yesterday, stopped at the lights around 5.30 and the intersection busy as hell, and a guy on a road bike zooms straight through the red light at full speed.

Then, of course, someone leans out of a taxi to give me a serve about dangerous bloody cyclists not obeying the bloody law, while the rest of the drivers are nodding and staring daggers at me.

What gave me the rages more than copping flak for someone else's drooling stupidity was the way the bike twit just broke the law with a complete sense of entitlement, like the laws of the road (and physics) don't apply to Serious Cyclists.

Grr. Argh.
As a road bike rider and lycra wearer when I'm exercising, not commuting, I stop at red lights and go on green. The only exception being the pre dawn failure of the light to change for me in which case I'll proceed very cautiously but always stopping first.
Entitled cyclists frustrate me too :? I ride a "road" bike on the road so I obey the "road" rules.
Cheers,
Peter
2012 Jim Bundy
1995 Bosevski - Athena
mid/late eighties Colnago Cromor

jlh

Postby jlh » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:20 pm

As a relatively new rider (3 months) it amazes me the number of cyclists of all types (work commuters, racers, etc) who run red lights at pedestrian crossings. I stop and wait even though there is on particularly annoyingly long red light at the intersection of Loftus St and Graham Farmer Fwy on ramp. But there is always the thought of "whats the point if everyone else is just running the red?"

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:23 pm

human909 wrote:
bigfriendlyvegan wrote:When the lights don't change, the lights can be considered "malfunctioning" and the correct thing to do is to stop, then proceed when appropriate.
There is no such road rule.
I didn't say there was a road rule covering it, I'm just applying common sense. If you come up to a set of lights and the lights DON'T trigger, you could be sitting there, literally, for hours. It's just being sensible to run them.

The law is there to deal with MOST situations, it can't deal with all of them.

human909

Postby human909 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:26 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:They are in areas where there is no traffic around these times so I treat the lights as a stop sign.
Interestingly I treat all intersections the same way as I treat a STOP sign even if there is a GREEN light or a continuing road. I look for and give way to all traffic that is on an intersecting path to mine. Behaving in any other way is liable to get your hurt, not running red lights. :roll:

(Occasionally, if I am confident the speeds are low and that I can safely bail or stop, I will continue if they are required to give way to me. This is to drive home the point to the to the offending motorist. Multiple times I've had to stop in the middle of a round about and stare down the car that fails to give way. Most of the time they stop half into the intersection.)