Moron Motorists #3

NhiTrac

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby NhiTrac » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:00 pm

Yea I get it that its a lot easier in hindsight and from the comfort of my work chair in the office to judge and say "you should've"...

BUT, using the posted video as the only evidence I have, the car entered frame at 1 sec and WP maintained his speed right up til the 6 sec mark.

So assuming the overlaying data is correct, that's a full 5 seconds of having a big black car in front with its indicators on.

Anyway, just saying that's what I would've done. In the end, I'm glad no one was injured.
FOCUS Cayo Expert

human909

Postby human909 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:03 pm

I think we are in agreement NhiTrac. ;) I was just trying to be diplomatic to all in the discussion. :)

TheShadow

Postby TheShadow » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:28 pm

Watch WP's fingers on the front brake lever along with the time at the bottom. He takes almost exactly 2.5 sec to start braking, which is almost exactly the time it takes 85% of people to perceive a hazard and commence braking. Maybe someone else could find some info regarding realistic reaction times.

This is just an old Monash study I found online, but human reaction times cannot have changed.

http://www.monash.edu/__data/assets/pdf ... /hfr12.pdf

BRAKING RESPONSE TIMES AT BEACONSFIELD SITE (N=35, MEAN – 2.46 S,
STANDARD DEVIATION = 1.04 S, SKEWNESS = +0.25) One of the three test sites got an average of 1.75 seconds, so maybe WP wasted 0.75 seconds?

To literally commence braking for the full 5 seconds he might technically have had, he would have to be automatically commencing emergency braking every time a car's bumper passes his front wheel. This is not possible. He would not even have time to be looking for the left indicator, let alone perceiving it. It's not like a braking marker that you watch approaching on a racetrack that allows you 1/10 of a second precision every lap you repeat.

It's not a small point. WP very nearly ran up the back of this car at some significant remaining speed after he did emergency brake, and there was next to nothing he could realistically have done about it. He's angry at the time not because some car got in his way for several seconds, but because they almost caused him to crash and there was nothing he could do about it - a natural human response. Spare me the "Oh, he needs to reign in that attitude." Without his video evidence (and apparently even WITH it) he might even be sued for the damage "He caused to the Commodore" for "following too close", or "failing to keep an adequate lookout", which is essentially the position endorsed by those suggesting WP was somehow unreasonable or negligent in his actions at the time.

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:16 pm

TheShadow wrote:
Red Rider wrote: This guy simply had no awareness I was even there:
vid

I'm sorry, but I couldn't give that guy a pass. OK, maybe not thinking, I'll give him that much. But didn't know you were there at all? :roll: Must do better, or stay 50m clear of me in both directions, imo.

You're right, not a lot of thinking going on.

human909

Postby human909 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:26 pm

TheShadow wrote:Without his video evidence (and apparently even WITH it) he might even be sued for the damage "He caused to the Commodore" for "following too close", or "failing to keep an adequate lookout", which is essentially the position endorsed by those suggesting WP was somehow unreasonable or negligent in his actions at the time.

You must be reading a different thread to me... I don't ANYBODY is "endorsing" a position at all like that. Some people are saying (from the benefit of a keyboard and hindsight) that they would have acted differently. There is nothing wrong with this. In fact intelligent discussion is how we learn from others.

Christ, I've been in a scenario with a very close friend where I did act differently to her. She ended up badly hurt and I didn't because of my preventative actions. But there was never any doubt that the negligence was the car driver.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:41 pm

Ideally I would have braked and avoided going up the inside of a left turning 1.5tonne object demonstrably driven by at best, an incompetent.
It may not have been possible to do so.
In any case we can all agree that driver was the cause of the problem in the first instance.

human909

Postby human909 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:59 pm

warthog1 wrote:It may not have been possible to do so.

Quite true...

Another factor is that if your are riding on the hoods with your centre of gravity higher your simply can't brake as quickly as if you are on the drops. Braking from the drops allows better leverage, better bracing and better weight positioning. At higher speeds, particularly in changeable traffic conditions I'm normally in my drops.

My 2c.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:44 pm

TheShadow wrote:
greatscott wrote:
WhingingPom wrote:Yesterday's example of awesome driving comes from Melbourne's northern suburbs.

As I drove past Mr Brainiac, he called out "I saw you, c*nt!". Funny that - it looked like he pulled in front of me and stopped in a bike lane.

Cars turning left (with an adjacent bike lane) are required by law to pull into the bike lane before turning (by up to 50m).
The rider has illegally undertaken a vehicle executing a right hand turn?

When this happens to me more than several times in the same place, I simply stop using the bike lane altogether and ride on the road, since as you correctly pointed out, that is most likely where I'll need to be in order to correctly (and safely) pass left-turning cars. It's practical, legal in Queensland, and it works for me.

Not on that road you won't. I use the same road daily and would rather ride down Queens Rd or Manningham Td than there (in the lane that is). The vid doesn't show it well but there's a lot of space to the left to bail, and drivers play on that.

I thought he (WP) reacted well tbh?

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:07 pm

Maybe I am a bit harsh, but I think the driver of this truck qualifies - if you look carefully you will see the rear door is unlatched at the bottom

Incident happened at 1pm - still pandemonium with extra pandas when I left at 6pm. Good night to be riding north - quiet roads on the other side of the bridge

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:20 pm

find_bruce wrote:Maybe I am a bit harsh, but I think the driver of this truck qualifies - if you look carefully you will see the rear door is unlatched at the bottom

Incident happened at 1pm - still pandemonium with extra pandas when I left at 6pm. Good night to be riding north - quiet roads on the other side of the bridge

Gotta say I'm just as horrified with the submitted footage they ran.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

kenwstr

Postby kenwstr » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:31 pm

TheShadow wrote:
kenwstr wrote:Pretty much a normal everyday then Bianchi. :roll:

Recently had a guy try to push me off the road by drifting left onto me till there was no road (I dropped behind instead), then he stops to threaten physical violance and to run me down. The usual abusive language and utter nonsense.

Ken

I've been wondering if what is starting to happen around this time of year is that the increase in domestic violence associated with the holiday period is maybe spilling over into the war between cyclists and motorists. You get some very angry guys just looking for someone to release their frustration on. It's not me/us, they're already on the edge and just looking for an excuse to vent their anger. I've never encountered the three incidents I've had recently so tightly packed together.

I'm sure seasonal stress has a lot to do with the obvious escallation as well as, lack of constructive strategies, meaning this is the default mode.

Ken

Howzat

Postby Howzat » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:38 am

warthog1 wrote:Ideally I would have braked and avoided going up the inside of a left turning 1.5tonne object demonstrably driven by at best, an incompetent.
It may not have been possible to do so.
In any case we can all agree that driver was the cause of the problem in the first instance.

Agreed Warthog1 - when you're avoiding a collision, anything that works is OK.

Like this in the wet in Sydney. I count three seconds from the first flash of this taxi's indicator to me being on his bumper.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:48 pm

Nice job avoiding that Moron :evil: 8)
It's a different level of stupidity you have to deal with in the city due to volume. More numbers = more fools :(

herzog

Postby herzog » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:31 pm

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:35 pm

I saw a guy doing facebook on an iPad while driving the other day. Grossly irresponsible, anyone caught doing that should have a lifetime license ban.

DS

Cannondale Quick Speed 2, Allegro T1

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:32 am

Like to give some kudos to the blue Hyundai I think it was on Saturday that held back behind me for at least a kilometre on a single lane each way road until I turned off. Thanks! 8)
Last edited by g-boaf on Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WhingingPom

Postby WhingingPom » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:22 pm

Must be something in the air at the moment (or too many cyclists driving).

Had someone sit behind me for an annoying amount of time this morning, the pull fully onto the other side of the road to overtake. Was so shocked, I nearly came off my bike!

Howzat

Postby Howzat » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:29 pm

g-boaf, WhingingPom - I think these stories go in the (much shorter, rarely used) "Good Motorist" thread... :D

WhingingPom

Postby WhingingPom » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:00 pm

Is that a stealth thread?

westab

Postby westab » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:05 pm

WhingingPom wrote:Is that a stealth thread?

Nope - here it is - it just doesn't get as many posts because like the vast majority of the population we don't recognize those doing the right thing.

It's a bit like the naughty kid in school - everyone knows their name.
Here it is:
http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=58958&hilit=considerate&start=25
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

Sabantien

Postby Sabantien » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:40 pm

Had an annoying driver follow me for quite a distance a few days ago, despite having an incredible amount of room to pass me on a very wide road with no other traffick. But moron motorist goes to the woman this afternoon parked in a no stopping zone, her car completely blocking both lanes where the cycle path joins with Riverside Drive at South Brisbane.

ningnangnong

Postby ningnangnong » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:32 pm

Just out for a ride and had some derro in a 4WD yell out 'pay rego ya f-wit' as he was passing.

I'm going to give him an 8/10 for that one - it was topical and I could clearly understand him. Nice work, buddy.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:34 pm

Yeah cos rego pays for infrastructure. Cranker :roll:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:59 pm

Howzat wrote:g-boaf, WhingingPom - I think these stories go in the (much shorter, rarely used) "Good Motorist" thread... :D

I forgot there was such a thing.

TraceyG

Postby TraceyG » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:57 pm

I was stopped outside a public toilet block in a country town near my home this afternoon when a ute-driving moron pulled in and took it upon himself to question whether husband and I were riding on these (I think he meant "his") roads. Yes, I replied. He then proceeded to tell us, none too politely why we shouldn't be riding on the roads.

As our son and a friend were ahead of us on the same road, I chose not to engage verbally with said-moron but he couldn't help himself when he did catch up to our son and friend, blasting them with his horn.

Return to “General Cycling Discussion”