Moron Motorists #3

Cyclophiliac

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Cyclophiliac » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:32 am

find_bruce wrote:
Cyclophiliac wrote:(AT) caneye: can you please quote others' posts properly? In the post 2 posts above this one, you misquoted Thoglette so that it looks like you quoted me.
The nested quotes can get a bit tricky & people make mistakes. I have edited caneye's post to correct the attribution.
Thanks for that. :)

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:16 pm

I suspect it was the moron motorist's dangerous driving that prompted that response from the cyclist so I believe it's posted in the correct thread.

https://goo.gl/v8EueH

uart

Postby uart » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:45 pm

biker jk wrote:I suspect it was the moron motorist's dangerous driving that prompted that response from the cyclist so I believe it's posted in the correct thread.
The incident took place on February 7 about 3.35pm along Langs Rd, Ascot Vale. Police say a woman behind the wheel of her silver sedan “pulled over to the side of the road and waited for traffic to pass before performing a U-turn and parking”
Yep, she definitely waited for the cyclist to pass before performing her U-turn. Sure she did, that's why he got so angry right. Um, eh, yeah, sure that's how it happened. :?

duncanm

Postby duncanm » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:50 pm

uart wrote:
biker jk wrote:I suspect it was the moron motorist's dangerous driving that prompted that response from the cyclist so I believe it's posted in the correct thread.
The incident took place on February 7 about 3.35pm along Langs Rd, Ascot Vale. Police say a woman behind the wheel of her silver sedan “pulled over to the side of the road and waited for traffic to pass before performing a U-turn and parking”
Yep, she definitely waited for the cyclist to pass before performing her U-turn. Sure she did, that's why he got so angry right. Um, eh, yeah, sure that's how it happened. :?

I reckon she did. Cyclists aren't traffic, right?

duncanm

Postby duncanm » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:52 pm

more details: https://www.3aw.com.au/bearded-bicycle- ... nes-north/

"he said I cut him off"

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:55 pm

Unfortunately 2 wrongs don't make a right

Two types of cut-off
1. Deliberate, usually the MGIF
2. Unintentional, usually due to insufficient due diligence
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

skull

Postby skull » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:33 pm

either way not great publicity.

I also think the rider might be better off getting found by the police than that females associates. She knows a few Nomads OMGosh members by the sounds of things.

Ross

Postby Ross » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:02 pm

'One-off': Woman charged 10 times with driving while disqualified

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-new ... 0w8n0.html

A Canberra woman has been remanded in custody after being caught driving while disqualified, for the tenth time.

Jodie Marie Alchin, 37, of Braddon, appeared in the ACT Magistrates Court on Saturday charged with driving while disqualified and drug driving.

The woman was on a good behaviour order at the time.

It is alleged that police stopped a car that Ms Alchin was driving in Narrabundah on Friday night. She told police she did not have a licence.

The court heard the woman was driving because of "urgent circumstances" which were not detailed.

Police drug tested her at the scene which returned a positive result, however she denied taking any drugs other than cough medicine recently.

The court heard Ms Alchin had a long history of related offences and previous charges of failing to appear before the court. Magistrate Peter Morrison said based on the woman's history, he could not grant her bail.

The woman pleaded with the Magistrate, begging him to let her go, saying it was a "one-off".

She will reappear before the court later this month.

uart

Postby uart » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:07 pm

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-17/d ... bt/9457526

Hopefully this moron, who hit (and badly injured) two police officers while on his phone, will get some pretty serious charges! :x

It's a good thing that it wasn't two cyclists that he hit, otherwise it would have just been an unlucky accident (no need to check mobile phone records, probably just sun in his eyes etc).

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:33 pm

uart wrote:
It's a good thing that it wasn't two cyclists that he hit, otherwise it would have just been an unlucky accident (no need to check mobile phone records, probably just sun in his eyes etc).
True unfortunately :(
Dogs are the best people :wink:

JohnJoyner

Postby JohnJoyner » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:08 am

warthog1 wrote:
uart wrote:
Yep. Sad isn't it... Well, all I hope now is that something will now be done about it. People on their phones whilst driving is at a ridiculous level. It's only luck that this doesn't happen more frequently.

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:19 am

JohnJoyner wrote:
warthog1 wrote:
uart wrote:
Yep. Sad isn't it... Well, all I hope now is that something will now be done about it. People on their phones whilst driving is at a ridiculous level. It's only luck that this doesn't happen more frequently.
Luck, and the fact that cyclists always pay more attention to traffic than motorists, because it's a matter of survival. Somebody has to pay attention, and as you said, quite often it's not the motorists doing that.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:52 pm

our road tool is on the way back up.
Speed and substance use are policed harder than ever.
I believe the rise correlates with phone use.
Given you are more impaired when distracted by a phone than low-level drink driving, it should mean mandatory licence suspension.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:07 pm

I just wonder sometimes how many chances some people get.

And how in the hell do people keep wanting to use their phone driving ? I just don't get it. I really, really don't......

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:46 pm

MichaelB wrote:And how in the hell do people keep wanting to use their phone driving ? I just don't get it. I really, really don't......
Driving is wasted time, all you can do is listen the radio. Cycling is providing exercise and public transport frees you up to play with your phone.

So if one is driving, how do they recoup that wasted time....

HenryCharlie

Postby HenryCharlie » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:49 pm

MichaelB wrote:And how in the hell do people keep wanting to use their phone driving ? I just don't get it. I really, really don't......
It must be social media or txting, it can't be for phone calls anymore as most cars have BT or it's very cheap to get a BT device for calls.
I overtook some people going uphill once.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:24 pm

HenryCharlie wrote:It must be social media or txting, it can't be for phone calls anymore as most cars have BT or it's very cheap to get a BT device for calls.
I've seen quite a few phones to ears in the last couple of weeks. By no means as many as there was before the law enforcement, but still some there. As for bluetooth, not always successful if you choose a cheap option. I've had a few different cheaper head units and they have been unreliable for bluetooth (ok for other stuff, but not flash). Volume needs tripling for calls, then you blow your ear drums on call end, or not connecting to a phone unless you manually connect it each time. I've learn't my lesson though, no more cheap units. In the mean time, phone rings, passenger answers or I find somewhere to pull over.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:01 pm

Watched a Toyota Dyna small truck this afternoon going along at about 50kmh in a straight line. Except the whole thing seemed to be at a strange angle to its direction of travel.

Crabbing along. :shock:

It looked quite unsafe.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:43 pm

Tourist driving on the wrong side of the road near Great Ocean Road.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/2018/ ... orian-road

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:48 pm

biker jk wrote:Tourist driving on the wrong side of the road near Great Ocean Road.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/2018/ ... orian-road
Ahhh... I can almost smell the hypocrisy. There are so many bad Australian drivers on that road, and when does their bad driving get mentioned in the media?

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:36 am

Police car blocking the cycle lane in Centennial Park this morning. Ok, he stopped a cyclist, presumably for speeding, but there was no need to stop the police car across the cycle lane (there's parking on the right). There was another police stopped across Dickens Drive, preventing me from turning into Grand Drive. He eventually moved the car. Two police cars in CP causing havoc does not provide safety for cyclists.

BianchiCam

Postby BianchiCam » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:45 am

BianchiCam

Postby BianchiCam » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:48 am

To be fair. The bus company was good when I notified them of this pass. No need for police.

Kronos

Postby Kronos » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:42 pm

BianchiCam wrote:To be fair. The bus company was good when I notified them of this pass. No need for police.
Bus drivers on the Sunshine Coast... I'm going to have to get myself a camera the way the Sun Puss drivers drive around here with contempt to giving way to other vehicles in the lane they want to enter from an intersection (not coming into a lane where you have to give way to buses). I'm also buzzed by the route 600 Sun Puss drivers every day on the David Low Way. The school buses aren't much better which worries me more (they see kids riding bikes of all sorts every day).

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:02 pm

biker jk wrote:Police car blocking the cycle lane in Centennial Park this morning. Ok, he stopped a cyclist, presumably for speeding, but there was no need to stop the police car across the cycle lane (there's parking on the right). There was another police stopped across Dickens Drive, preventing me from turning into Grand Drive. He eventually moved the car. Two police cars in CP causing havoc does not provide safety for cyclists.

Were they booking cyclists for using the car lane :wink: