Moron Motorists #3

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby antigee » Wed May 23, 2018 9:07 pm

pj wrote:This clown couldn't wait an extra 2.5 seconds at get to the servo, at least he gave me lots of space :-)

Close shave with the oncoming black audi!

sure the clown stopped at the servo or did they just use it as a quick rat run to avoid the line at the roundabout?

pj

Postby pj » Thu May 24, 2018 7:34 am

antigee wrote:
sure the clown stopped at the servo or did they just use it as a quick rat run to avoid the line at the roundabout?
Lol I wouldn't be surprised, will have to check my rear camera!

silentC

Postby silentC » Thu May 24, 2018 9:24 am

Not cycling related: Sideswiped by a semi trailer last Tuesday on my way to Sydney. I was behind him for a couple of km when an overtaking opportunity presented itself. He was travelling at about 80kph and I had a 500m clear line of sight, so I gave it a boot-full and went around him, but as I drew alongside his trailer, he started drifting across the centre line. I blew my horn but he kept coming and I tried to back off but next thing I know his rear wheel has scrubbed the side of the car and knocked off the wing mirror.

I followed him for 5km before I could get him to pull over. When he finally did I suggested he didn't even know he had hit me. He then started some BS story about saving my life because there were two cars up ahead that I was going to have a head on with. So his story is that he deliberately moved across to block my overtake to save us from having a collision. I asked him he'd had all this time to think of something and was that the best he could do? Seriously, he thought the best way to stop an accident (there were no cars) was to cause another one?

Anyway it went around and round in circles, so I told him I didn't want to discuss it any more and just give me your paperwork, which he happily did.

No real harm done, just the wing mirror, some moulding strips and three panels will need respraying. I videoed the conversation and I played it back to a copper mate of mine. His opinion, based on what the guy said, was that he was either on his phone and didn't know he'd hit me at all, or he deliberately moved across because he didn't want me to pass him and pull back in front between him and the slow moving van that was up the road a bit, because it would make it harder for him to get around the van.

Either way I'd like to have seen him charged with negligent driving but as I am not in hospital or the morgue, no-one really cares. That's despite having audio of the guy claiming he deliberately moved across to prevent me getting past (for whatever reason).
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri May 25, 2018 6:49 pm

Not the 80% fault rate for motorists found by other research but did it too rely on police attribution of fault?

CYCLISTS won’t be surprised by the latest crash study — drivers were found to be at fault in the majority of accidents with them.

Research on 13 years of Queensland police crash records found cyclists are more seriously hurt in collisions with cars at intersections with “stop” or “give way” signs than at intersections with traffic signals or without any signage.

The Queensland University of Technology (QUT) study found the driver was considered at fault by police in 63 per cent of bicycle-motor vehicle crashes.

https://goo.gl/jXG6WV

The full research paper is here.

https://goo.gl/sdmvwp

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri May 25, 2018 8:17 pm

silentC wrote:Not cycling related: Sideswiped by a semi trailer last Tuesday on my way to Sydney. I was behind him for a couple of km when an overtaking opportunity presented itself. He was travelling at about 80kph and I had a 500m clear line of sight, so I gave it a boot-full and went around him, but as I drew alongside his trailer, he started drifting across the centre line. I blew my horn but he kept coming and I tried to back off but next thing I know his rear wheel has scrubbed the side of the car and knocked off the wing mirror.

I followed him for 5km before I could get him to pull over. When he finally did I suggested he didn't even know he had hit me. He then started some BS story about saving my life because there were two cars up ahead that I was going to have a head on with. So his story is that he deliberately moved across to block my overtake to save us from having a collision. I asked him he'd had all this time to think of something and was that the best he could do? Seriously, he thought the best way to stop an accident (there were no cars) was to cause another one?

Anyway it went around and round in circles, so I told him I didn't want to discuss it any more and just give me your paperwork, which he happily did.

No real harm done, just the wing mirror, some moulding strips and three panels will need respraying. I videoed the conversation and I played it back to a copper mate of mine. His opinion, based on what the guy said, was that he was either on his phone and didn't know he'd hit me at all, or he deliberately moved across because he didn't want me to pass him and pull back in front between him and the slow moving van that was up the road a bit, because it would make it harder for him to get around the van.

Either way I'd like to have seen him charged with negligent driving but as I am not in hospital or the morgue, no-one really cares. That's despite having audio of the guy claiming he deliberately moved across to prevent me getting past (for whatever reason).
It's human nature to shift the blame to others. Not saying its correct, in fact I admire those who are willing to admit to their errors
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

pj

Postby pj » Fri May 25, 2018 10:10 pm

Friday fun on the roads....

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat May 26, 2018 5:23 am

Sentence seems rather light considering the risk to others he posed

http://www.news.com.au/national/nsw-act ... 32fa7a206c

jindydiver

Postby jindydiver » Sat May 26, 2018 6:19 am

pj wrote:Friday fun on the roads....

They saw you just fine :roll:

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sat May 26, 2018 6:49 am

pj wrote:Friday fun on the roads....

With respect, that video doesn't show you in the best position when you close pass overtake the car on the speed hump afterwards.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

pj

Postby pj » Sat May 26, 2018 8:40 am

bychosis wrote:
With respect, that video doesn't show you in the best position when you close pass overtake the car on the speed hump afterwards.
Yes I agree this was bad form on my part, I should have stayed safe and not performed the undertake in this situation.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sat May 26, 2018 8:18 pm

pj wrote:
bychosis wrote:
Yes I agree this was bad form on my part, I should have stayed safe and not performed the undertake in this situation.
I don’t mind what you did, and may have done the same. Highly recommend not adding ammo to the haters and putting it online though ;)
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun May 27, 2018 7:54 am

How many times have we encounted those passes where they go around you, only to have to kill their speed directly in front of you for the speed hump or whatever. I call it a block pass. Often they haven't even completed going past you, so I don't see the point of slowing for them.

Driving the cage yesterday, I go to turn left into a side road and there's a man with a pram crossing the road. I stop to let him continue his crossing, which in addition to being polite is also the law. The motorist behind me who had to come to close to a halt flips me the bird as he drives around me. He will never regain those seconds he lost

Philistine

Postby Philistine » Sun May 27, 2018 11:23 am

mikesbytes wrote:How many times have we encounted those passes where they go around you, only to have to kill their speed directly in front of you for the speed hump or whatever. I call it a block pass. Often they haven't even completed going past you, so I don't see the point of slowing for them.
You are not slowing for them - you are slowing for your own safety! I don't see the point of passing a motorist in this situation unless I can make it stick. Why squeeze through a narrow gap to pass a car only to have the driver repass you 20 metres farther on and then go roaring off into the distance? Better to curse a bit and suck it up. Also, if you voluntarily position yourself within millimetres of a moving vehicle, you cannot then complain about having your mandated one metre clearance violated.

Tequestra

Postby Tequestra » Sun May 27, 2018 12:05 pm

I take it that the first video with the little red SUV was the blind one who pulled out in front of oncoming traffic. I could not pick any other faults, but possibly because I was not there at the time.

The second video is easier to see the conflict from this keyboard. I do not know how far behind that red sedan was when you passed the first parked white car, but if the red sedan was dawdling along in dreamworld and not following the white van up ahead in the expected fashion, and if I had room to take the lane, I would have. Mainly because I have been following the one-metre rule for a long time now when I go past parked cars, because of the threat of being car-doored. Watching you riding on the left of that lane marker sends shivers down my spine.

It was a 25km/h zone by the signs, and I don't know if that means 25km/h only across the speed-hump or right through, but that red sedan should have been following behind the cyclist, and the way I would do my best to assist the driver to understand common sense and road safety would be to own the right lane at least 5m before passing the parked white car, and not riding in that left parking lane at all.

Leave a metre between you and any parked car if possible, and that means riding in the right lane, in which case the red sedan wouldn't have room to pass in the first place. Not until after the last speed-hump, and they would have lost around two seconds by heading over the last speed-hump in harmony with their fellow commuters. That's their own fault for not following close enough behind that white van when they could have and should have if they were in any rush. Obviously they were not in a rush but saw an opportunity to make a political statement at you.
Viva le Tour Electrique' !!!

Ross

Postby Ross » Sun May 27, 2018 2:56 pm

135km ride today and happy to report no MM incidents! :D

(no, it wasn't inside on a wind trainer, it was outside on public roads :twisted: )

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Sun May 27, 2018 2:58 pm

Go!Run!GAH!

b4igo

Postby b4igo » Sun May 27, 2018 4:00 pm

Can I ask what camera you’re using Pj?

pj

Postby pj » Sun May 27, 2018 5:16 pm

b4igo wrote:Can I ask what camera you’re using Pj?
I'm using two of these https://www.jbhifi.com.au/kaiser-baas/k ... ra/388661/ Kaiser bass X1

This is probably one of the cheapest setups you can get, for $140 you get front and rear coverage. The video quality isn't too bad, sound is not great as once they are inside the waterproof case all you really hear is road noise. Battery lasts about 90 minutes which covers my daily commute in both directions.

The wide angle (170 degrees) is great for capturing everything but it does make things appear farther away than reality!

pj

Postby pj » Sun May 27, 2018 5:21 pm

Tequestra wrote: and not riding in that left parking lane at all.
Thanks for the advise, this is the bit I struggle with the most, especially when it is a 50/60 zone and I'm only travelling at 30. I feel obliged to move into the empty parking lane at let cars pass.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sun May 27, 2018 6:03 pm

Riding in an organised MTB event today. At one point we needed to cross a road and traffic control had been set up, with police in attendance. I hear a comment from the first car’s passenger something about ‘this being ridiculous’. Must have been there for hours there were four cars in the queue. :roll: I popped a wheelie as I left the kerb to show my appreciation.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun May 27, 2018 7:28 pm

Philistine wrote:
mikesbytes wrote:How many times have we encounted those passes where they go around you, only to have to kill their speed directly in front of you for the speed hump or whatever. I call it a block pass. Often they haven't even completed going past you, so I don't see the point of slowing for them.
You are not slowing for them - you are slowing for your own safety! I don't see the point of passing a motorist in this situation unless I can make it stick. Why squeeze through a narrow gap to pass a car only to have the driver repass you 20 metres farther on and then go roaring off into the distance? Better to curse a bit and suck it up. Also, if you voluntarily position yourself within millimetres of a moving vehicle, you cannot then complain about having your mandated one metre clearance violated.
Perhaps I should clarify, the motorist has not fully cleared me, ie is still to my right. If the motorist has cleared me and moved back into the lane I am not going to squeeze thru.

b4igo

Postby b4igo » Sun May 27, 2018 7:54 pm

Thanks mate. Appreciate the extra detail! Your videos look pretty good, but unfortunately that won’t be enough battery life for me. :(
pj wrote:
b4igo wrote:Can I ask what camera you’re using Pj?
I'm using two of these https://www.jbhifi.com.au/kaiser-baas/k ... ra/388661/ Kaiser bass X1

This is probably one of the cheapest setups you can get, for $140 you get front and rear coverage. The video quality isn't too bad, sound is not great as once they are inside the waterproof case all you really hear is road noise. Battery lasts about 90 minutes which covers my daily commute in both directions.

The wide angle (170 degrees) is great for capturing everything but it does make things appear farther away than reality!

Tequestra

Postby Tequestra » Sun May 27, 2018 8:10 pm

pj wrote: ... travelling at 30. I feel obliged to move into the empty parking lane at let cars pass.
Thank you for your reply, PJ. It is a very tough decision because I know so well what it is like to be in the car or behind someone unhappy with a bike holding us both up. I try to keep the highest possible awareness of who's behind me, what they're driving, the look on their face, it is all instinctively calculated but it is still guesswork for the immediate future, because cars park on the side of the road at random. Everytime there is a three-car gap my ears tighten because I am expecting the horn blast, just like Pavlov's blimmen dog salivating on the bell!

On the way back from the beach there is a road up a mild hill, (28km/h avg for me w/electric), with cars usually parked on the marked left lane here and there. There was a discussion here a few weeks back about something much like this scenario, and I guessed that around 50 metres of a gap between parked cars is possibly barely enough to be acceptible to the average Australian driver in a 50km/h zone when you're doing 30. The hard part is the end, because the worst thing would be someone half-passing you too close in line with the parked car ahead so you don't get a line through and have to either brake or hit the parked car if you're loaded heavy, maybe?

You really have to judge the car and driver behind, (in the mirror?), and trust them. I find that most always the cars behind me as I get past the last car in a group will judge reasonably well whether they have the horsepower to make it past me before I have to move back to the right to clear the next parked car. I try to make a clearly visible sign by peeling off so they have the choice, but I would never offer them that choice if the gap was less than perhaps half a dozen car bays, depending on how quick I was going. I would hope you can do the maths and remember to add the length of the car behind plus a fair few metres of clearance before and after, and then work out the average speed they'd have to do to get past you in the time it takes you to ride the gap, in your head. Simple, isn't it?

Have a Good Sunday Evening. Goodnight.

PS: I just realised another thing that seems to be working over the past few rides. Push hard, get off the seat, a little bit, use your arms like an orang-utan, and make it look like you are totally aware of their rush and are doing your best to overcome their delay. Entertain the audience. You will hopefully get their undivided attention and pity, and that's a good thing.
Viva le Tour Electrique' !!!

pj

Postby pj » Tue May 29, 2018 1:36 am

Muppet

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Tue May 29, 2018 11:11 am

Got one this morning. Down hill, single-going-to-dual carriage way, plenty of room. I've moved into the left lane, held up by a car turning left. Right lane is empty. But MM has to pass me in the left lane within window knocking distance. And then she waves a fist at me.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ