Moron Motorists #3

Lukeyboy

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:31 pm

All the rich cyclists have lcd screens on the bars linked to HD video cameras under the seat :P

as7431

Postby as7431 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:57 pm

Mulger bill wrote:And another IRBM devotee here...
Intermediate Range Ballistic Missile? May be a bit severe, but i bet it would stop the punishment passes :D

Chris249

Postby Chris249 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:37 am

benbne wrote:
il padrone wrote:Ya need a rear-view mirror !!
Yeah I've been thinking about a mirror for a while now.. Might be time!
I may live in a quieter area - around here you can hear the cars coming and claim the lane at the roundabout without needing to watch a mirror.
Kestrel Talon road 2007
Como Vivente road 2009
Principia track track 2014
Cervelo P2K TT 2003
Merida CX4 2010
Concaeio road

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:32 am

Chris249 wrote:I may live in a quieter area - around here you can hear the cars coming and claim the lane at the roundabout without needing to watch a mirror.
Traffic. Wind. Cars just idling along at 40-50 kmh on residential streets.

Nup, the mirror is more reliable and precise.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Newcastle Dave

Postby Newcastle Dave » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:01 pm

simlin wrote:Another vote for the Italian acing mirror. Best thing I have added to my bike.
So to ask the old question - Where did you get it ?

simlin

Postby simlin » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:29 pm

http://www.avt.bike/WebStore/merchant.m ... e=RBM_1001

Note your drops have to be pretty much horizontal in order to get the right angle on the mirror.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:00 pm

Chris249 wrote:
benbne wrote:
il padrone wrote:Ya need a rear-view mirror !!
Yeah I've been thinking about a mirror for a while now.. Might be time!
I may live in a quieter area - around here you can hear the cars coming and claim the lane at the roundabout without needing to watch a mirror.
I know what you mean.
The thing is you cant possibly hear every car and some times just wind noise will cause you not to hear a car. Think the new quiet electric things. Then you will use the age old "it was just so quiet I didn't hear it" which is taken from the manual of the pedestrian. It's just how it is.
I have a large mirror on both sides of my handlebars I use them often and at first had to make it into a habit. Now it is a constant aid in heavy traffic and still useful in quiet back streets.
I would not like to ride with out them now.
On dual roads I watch where the wheel of the upcoming cars are behind me; easy to pick out the shavers and have the hand on the blower to give it back to them. I have had cars suddenly swerve back out at the sound of the airzound even as the are on the horn.

I just feel the cards a stacked that much more in my favor. My old neck doesn't have to continue twisting like a rubbernecker either which is a bonus. :)
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

battler2

Postby battler2 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:50 pm

+1 IRBM

- other riders (the stupid silent overtaking ones at high speed)
- speeding bogans
- going around parked cars (knowing when will be too early, when can let a car pass instead of risking something, when you really NEED to stick your arm out)
- other riders (the wheelsucking ones you need to blow away)
- hot chicks jogging in the other direction

fiddly to install, gets loose after a while (duct tape helps). and breaks in minor crashes (so order a few spares).

simlin

Postby simlin » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:14 pm

I can't tell on my smaller screen...but if the car was indicating that it was turning into the car park...surely the blame for the accident lays solely on the cyclist? Open to other opinions.

http://www.9news.com.au/national/2015/0 ... s-riled-up

Apologies if posted on another thread somewhere I couldn't find it.

BenGr

Postby BenGr » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:24 pm

simlin wrote:I can't tell on my smaller screen...but if the car was indicating that it was turning into the car park...surely the blame for the accident lays solely on the cyclist? Open to other opinions.

We go on about impatient drivers putting cyclists at risk, and forget that the same applies to us. One thing I learnt very early on was anyone going much slower than they should is about to do something.

The car was indicating at the end, but it could have been very late.

Taking another look it looks as though the car begins turning before the cyclist is in view of the side mirror.
Last edited by BenGr on Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

silentC

Postby silentC » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:26 pm

Can't see how the driver can be blamed for that one.
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:02 pm

I reckon the cyclist went around the first car and then saw what looks like a bike lane. All pretty quick and hard to see an indicator on the car.
I see a car left hooking a bike that the driver just didn't see. We could say the cyclist didn't anticipate that cars move, but he would not have kept going left if the driver signaled early enough.
The cyclist would not have a view of the rear indicator as he was already past it.
I reckon the driver is at fault.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:25 pm

Dont think the cyclist is entirely blameless, didn't look like a smart move - but I wasn't there either and may have done the same thing. The car was stopping with no apparent traffic in front which is cause for caution, and diving to undertake on the left is not particularly cautious.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

human909

Postby human909 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:29 pm

Both the driver and the cyclist were performing maneuvers at rapid speed and with little indication. The cause of the incident was as much the speed of the drivers left turn as his lack of indication. The fact that the cyclist changed his line didn't help the matter.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:34 pm

Unable to create opinion due to insufficient evidence.

Would love to see the previous 45 seconds of footage...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

MisuVir

Postby MisuVir » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:42 pm

bychosis wrote:diving to undertake on the left is not particularly cautious.
No kidding. The car in front puts on the brakes and starts slowing down. The correct response is to put on your own brakes and slow down and see what the driver in front is planning to do. Cars usually slow down for a reason.

For some reason, the cyclist thought it was a good idea to swerve and overtake a vehicle that was slowing down. Sure, the driver could have indicated earlier, but I see no reason for them to expect a vehicle following them to suddenly swerve past them on the left and overtake.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:31 pm

outnabike wrote:I reckon the cyclist went around the first car and then saw what looks like a bike lane.
That's what it looks like to me, too. Headed for the lane and got left hooked.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:51 pm

Driver was indicating from the earliest moment I could see its taillights (you can make out the flash).
Cyclist was probably not paying attention and focusing on moving into the 'bike lane' (can't see a sign).
Driver crossed a solid line and failed to give way.
Tough one - culpability on both parties. On balance I would say cyclist at fault.

jindydiver

Postby jindydiver » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:13 am

Mulger bill wrote:Unable to create opinion due to insufficient evidence.

Would love to see the previous 45 seconds of footage...
And the following 45 seconds.

The car in front of the camera car wasn't stopping for no reason, there appeared to be a car turning right and stopped in front of all of them which is why the car and bike both veered left.
The guy on the bike should have just slowed down and waited for a safer time to go around the car he hit.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:16 am

simlin wrote:I can't tell on my smaller screen...but if the car was indicating that it was turning into the car park...surely the blame for the accident lays solely on the cyclist? Open to other opinions.

Jolly good beat-up, from both Ch 9 and yourself simlin!

We can see very little of the incident really, but I will make some points:

1. Cyclist riding in the right lane - not sure why?
2. Appears to be three lanes converging into one with a bike lane (?) after the intersection - god-awful road infrastructure
3. Cyclist did a left lane-change with no indication - will have to check whether cyclists are legally compelled to signal left lane changes, not required for left turns, but think so for lane changes (but I myself am guilty of this one when more concerned about my placement one lane out)
4. Cannot see any evidence of the driver's left turn indicator prior to their parking manuever

I see little reason why there should be blame attached solely to the cyclist, maybe an equal share as he did veer rather unpredictably. However the car driver has very clearly contravened the road rules as far as we can see.

In the overall scheme of things....... an outrage? More like a Nine News beat-up against those "demon cyclists" :evil:
Mandatory helmet law?

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:22 am

jindydiver wrote:The car in front of the camera car wasn't stopping for no reason, there appeared to be a car turning right and stopped in front of all of them which is why the car and bike both veered left.
I see no evidence of this :?

The car was pulling into a diagonal parking space. The cyclist veered left to get back out from wide of traffic and onto the left, into the bike lane that commenced there.
Mandatory helmet law?

jules21

Postby jules21 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:26 am

entirely avoidable from cyclists' perspective. how can you expect drivers to see a cyclist on the RHS then predict they will cut to the left? have some empathy for drivers.

silentC

Postby silentC » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:28 am

+1 Erratic riding on the cyclist's part. Entirely own fault. Next...
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

simlin

Postby simlin » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:29 am

I am guessing the cyclist was not paying that much attention (or any other then a general awareness of where it was) to the car in front (whether or not or for how long they were indicating) as he was darting across and his focus was almost completely on not being squashed by the car behind.

I do agree that blame should be apportioned but have no idea without more evidence what it would likely be.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:35 am

il padrone wrote:

Jolly good beat-up, from both Ch 9 and yourself simlin!

We can see very little of the incident really, but I will make some points:

1. Cyclist riding in the right lane - not sure why?
2. Appears to be three lanes converging into one with a bike lane (?) after the intersection - god-awful road infrastructure
3. Cyclist did a left lane-change with no indication - will have to check whether cyclists are legally compelled to signal left lane changes, not required for left turns, but think so for lane changes (but I myself am guilty of this one when more concerned about my placement one lane out)
4. Cannot see any evidence of the driver's left turn indicator prior to their parking manuever

I see little reason why there should be blame attached solely to the cyclist, maybe an equal share as he did veer rather unpredictably. However the car driver has very clearly contravened the road rules as far as we can see.

In the overall scheme of things....... an outrage? More like a Nine News beat-up against those "demon cyclists" :evil:
+1 . I saw no left turn indicator when the driver veered left across the cycle lane.