Moron Motorists #3

Postieboy

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Postieboy » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:33 pm

First one was an understandable enough misjudgement.
No way, he was determined to run that stop sign. He saw me, hesitated, then gunned it. Although it is not common for this to happen here, unfortunately there is a big pothole that prevents me from riding a bit further out.

As you can see from all my videos I suppose I tend to not ride as defensively as many people on here recommend. So all this advice is much appreciated and I hope to take it all on-board!

zero

Postby zero » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:52 pm

Postieboy wrote:
First one was an understandable enough misjudgement.
No way, he was determined to run that stop sign. He saw me, hesitated, then gunned it. Although it is not common for this to happen here, unfortunately there is a big pothole that prevents me from riding a bit further out.

As you can see from all my videos I suppose I tend to not ride as defensively as many people on here recommend. So all this advice is much appreciated and I hope to take it all on-board!
I'm not criticising your riding in that first instance, its simply good to note that "further out" can in fact be in the right hand lane. In the key 4 seconds of approach, you move ~2m to the left, which is the body language method of signalling a left turn, and keeps you invisible behind the stationary car's a-pillar as long as possible.

Right side of the pothole is viable based on the traffic behind you (If I knew the pothole was there because I was regular user of that intersection), I'd be headchecking before it), and is probably optimal place/line for body language signalling to all 3 drivers that you intend travelling through the intersection, without confusing the right turner that you might be a right turner yourself.

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:11 pm

wellington_street wrote:(Note that it is actually illegal to turn into a lane if there is another vehicle in an adjacent lane travelling in the same direction - this is to avoid this sort of occurrence where there's a side swipe or fear of side swipe)
I didn't know that... What state&rule is it? Thanks.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:46 pm

InTheWoods wrote:
wellington_street wrote:(Note that it is actually illegal to turn into a lane if there is another vehicle in an adjacent lane travelling in the same direction - this is to avoid this sort of occurrence where there's a side swipe or fear of side swipe)
Is my mind playing tricks on me? I'm having trouble finding it. Now I'm worried it's something I was told by my driving instructor rather than one of the 200+ road rules...

It might have been the instructor's interpretation of the rule "Unless the driver is turning left using a slip lane, the driver must give way to a vehicle in, entering or approaching the intersection" (e.g. NSW Road Rules s67(2))

zero

Postby zero » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:26 pm

+
wellington_street wrote:
InTheWoods wrote:
Is my mind playing tricks on me? I'm having trouble finding it. Now I'm worried it's something I was told by my driving instructor rather than one of the 200+ road rules...

It might have been the instructor's interpretation of the rule "Unless the driver is turning left using a slip lane, the driver must give way to a vehicle in, entering or approaching the intersection" (e.g. NSW Road Rules s67(2))
its not an unreasonable interpretation, as the give way rule does not specify in which direction or side of the road the vehicles travelling on the through road are on, whether they changing lanes, whether they are on the wrong side of the road (ie overtaking) or whether they have their indicators on or not. Under all of those circumstances the turning vehicle entering that road is still required to giveway.

NhiTrac

Postby NhiTrac » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:01 pm

Had a knob-head of a semi driver today on the M5 put 3/4 of his truck and trailer onto the shoulder as soon as he passed me. Flicked up a tonne of debris into me :roll:

Rather dangerous, stupid and pointless exercise if you ask me. Makes me wish I had a camera so I could hand the video this his employer/police...
FOCUS Cayo
BMC Teammachine SLR01

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:24 pm

Aggressive nut-jobs :evil:

Like Mr "I'm too important to follow road rules" in his Commodore (Vic. Reg. V 1768) today. Sitting at the red lights* and he's right behind, then as soon as I take off, he hammers the horn, roars up behind me then horns again and careers close by me. Tool!! 100m along the road he does pretty much the same thing to a driver who had the gall to slow down prior to doing a left-hand turn :roll:

What is the story with these Victorian yellow 'V' prefix plates. Are they government ministers or someone else super important ??

* I was sitting on the right-hand side of the lane, because I had stopped there to let a following car make a left turn on the arrow..... and Mr "I'm too important to follow road rules" knew about that as he was right behind him. Reward for a bit of courtesy to one driver is to be harassed by another

:roll: :evil:
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:39 pm

Moron driver yesterday on Murray St, West Perth. Cyclist was riding in the right lane, primary position at the prevailing speed, approaching a line of queued traffic in the left. Moron in a little hatchback changed lanes when the cyclist was right next to him. Heard the cyclist yell out "watch it, you !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !!!" quite appropriately - moron driver obviously didn't even look.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:55 pm

il padrone wrote:What is the story with these Victorian yellow 'V' prefix plates. Are they government ministers or someone else super important ??
i think they're just custom plates - a disturbingly reliable indicator that the driver is an a******e

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:58 pm

jules21 wrote:
il padrone wrote:What is the story with these Victorian yellow 'V' prefix plates. Are they government ministers or someone else super important ??
i think they're just custom plates - a disturbingly reliable indicator that the driver is an a******e
They're not the overpriced euro style plates are they? In NSW they all start with N, and are slightly longer plates to fit the Euro car models. So, basically for posers :-)
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:52 pm

Victorians can reserve a V-nnnn series, usually brown lettering on a yellow background and stating Victorian Thoroughbred as a slogan.
The poor buggers probably get a bit confused when driving a car instead of riding a horse. :?

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:58 pm

The poor buggers probably get a bit confused when driving a car instead of being ridden like a horse. :P :twisted:

Thoroughbreds indeed!! Pfffft!
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:23 pm

Do we need a "Moron Horse Riders" thread? :D

There's probably some stories to be had in the Ascot (WA) area where cyclists need to share the road shoulder with horses. Haven't experienced it myself though.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:00 pm

Close call in West Melbs today when some sort of AUDI passenger decided that blowing a stop sign with me not 10m away doing high 20s was a good idea. He musta seen me covering me brakes. :roll:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

jules21

Postby jules21 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:21 am

Mulger bill wrote:Close call in West Melbs today when some sort of AUDI passenger decided that blowing a stop sign with me not 10m away doing high 20s was a good idea. He musta seen me covering me brakes. :roll:
shaun, you don't get to a position in life where you own an Audi by waiting and letting others go before you just because the rules say so

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:25 am

Mulger bill wrote:Close call in West Melbs today when some sort of AUDI passenger decided that blowing a stop sign with me not 10m away doing high 20s was a good idea. He musta seen me covering me brakes. :roll:
jules21 wrote:shaun, you don't get to a position in life where you own an Audi by waiting and letting others go before you just because the rules say so
I bet if Shaun was driving a "work vehicle" the Audi would have stopped - or at least regretted the decision
Anything you can do, I can do slower

jules21

Postby jules21 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:32 am

find_bruce wrote:I bet if Shaun was driving a "work vehicle" the Audi would have stopped - or at least regretted the decision
maybe a hi-rail? :)

zero

Postby zero » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:36 am

find_bruce wrote: I bet if Shaun was driving a "work vehicle" the Audi would have stopped - or at least regretted the decision
If the russian dashcam crash compilations on youtube are anything to go on, regretting the decision more likely than stopping :p

fingy

Postby fingy » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:56 pm

This is a pet hate of mine when cars barge through, when
there is no gain to be had. Todays "exhibit A"

I took a couple of stabs at the pedal trying to clip in
just as the bike started to shake across the intersection :| ,
with moron on my tail reving the crap out of his truck :roll:

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:28 pm

Unfortunately I have another one. Closest I've had.

lump_a_charcoal

Postby lump_a_charcoal » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:38 pm

Holy crap that was close! :shock:

You need to report that!

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:17 am

lump_a_charcoal wrote:Holy crap that was close! :shock:

You need to report that!
he is, don't worry (he'd already written the report by lunch time yesterday)

elantra

Postby elantra » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:17 pm

jasonc wrote:
lump_a_charcoal wrote:Holy crap that was close! :shock:

You need to report that!
he is, don't worry (he'd already written the report by lunch time yesterday)
You wouldn't need to go far to report that - it occured almost in front of the Police station.

Waterworks Rd is a shameful piece of nonsense road.
That does not excuse such a display of ignorant driving.
I would also advise get a mirror - it does not improve their driving but you get fewer shocks.

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:46 pm

I find those small cars the worst, the dicks driving them seem to think they will fit anywhere.

Graeme
***Looking For Information About Bicycle Cameras ***

* Bicycle Camera FAQ's *** Mounting FAQ’s & DIY Mounts *

sunho

Postby sunho » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:59 pm

Riding bobbin head Rd from Bobbin head riding to turramurra coffee shops, if you know the road, it's a single car lane with a significant bike shoulder.

I ride the bike lane as best as I possibly can barring a few bad gravel parts at about 40kph avg.

Saw a rav4 parked on the bike lane 200m ahead moving back into the car lane with indicators all good!
Although I could hear the car behind me, a corolla sedan? slow down significantly as I'm sure he was going over the speed limit.
He overtakes me and I see him stick up the rav 4's butt.

Then the rav4 decides to slow down and turn right, slows right down nearing a stop, the corolla decides to take the bike lane WHICH I WAS CLEARLY RIDING nearly knocking me onto the gutter, I slam the brakes (and instinctively I was looking for a horn to honk him lol)

I was still up on my feet, and onto the sidewalk after riding up thru the driveway. Close shave.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus