Moron Motorists #3

human909

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby human909 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:19 pm

cowled wrote:As far as I am concerned, the driver deserves to be charged with dangerous driving and failing to exchange particulars. Will be writing a letter to the officer in charge at the Dutton Park police station about this.
Absolutely.

The police make a habit of stonewalling cyclists. This was clearly hit and run.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:31 pm

cowled wrote:The Moron of the month award goes to the middle aged woman driving a black Hyundai Getz. Video speaks for itself ...

Good grief, you've only just got back on the bike. Very bad. :(

myforwik

Postby myforwik » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:34 pm

cowled wrote:
ldrcycles wrote:What more can you do but shake your head :( . I'm assuming that one's gone to the police? (for all the good it might do)
Yes, have reported it to the police. Just my luck to get a police officer who seriously believed that I should have been riding on the footpath (EDIT: I did point out to her that there was no footpath and I had every right to be on the road anyhow). She also quoted s.253 of the road rules at me. That's the one that says cyclists should not obstruct traffic by moving into the path of a vehicle (EDIT: fyi, I didn't move into the path of the car because I was always positioned a bit out from the kerb). Some of these coppers have absolutely no idea about the law. (EDIT: She tried to tell me that I had to keep to the far left and I had to point out to her that this law did not apply to multi-lane roads and, in any case, it uses the terminology "as far left as practicable" and it is not practicable to hug the gutter in narrow lanes.) In the end, she refused to take my statement because she wanted to get her head around the law first.

The driver actually hit my hand as she went past and screamed at me to "Get off the f..... road you f..... c...."

As far as I am concerned, the driver deserves to be charged with dangerous driving and failing to exchange particulars. Will be writing a letter to the officer in charge at the Dutton Park police station about this.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
The most stupid part of all this is that the police obviously don't care about dangerous driving or safety. Even if she was right about all those things - it still doesn't excuse the dangerous over take. Just because some car is in some lane illegal doesn't mean you can almost kill them. What her response tells me is that she is only interested in issuing a fine and is trying to give you the usual brush-off - by making out you did something wrong and will be finded as well. Don't be surprised if they give you some ridiculous fine. They have a nack of fi ing bot parties in things like this.

Dragster1

Postby Dragster1 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:45 pm

human909 wrote:
cowled wrote:As far as I am concerned, the driver deserves to be charged with dangerous driving and failing to exchange particulars. Will be writing a letter to the officer in charge at the Dutton Park police station about this.
Absolutely.

The police make a habit of stonewalling cyclists. This was clearly hit and run.
Typical same story every where. Believe it or not the other week I watched a motor bike going in and out of traffic on Gympie road, Brisbane and it clips a car and he falls off in front of a police car with what seamed be occupied by a higher ranked police man. The motor bike rider just gets on his bike and rides off into the sunset, the driver of the car pulls over and tries to flag the police car down and guess what! they just kept on driving as if they never noticed him.

London Boy

Postby London Boy » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:30 am

cowled wrote:Yes, have reported it to the police [...] In the end, she refused to take my statement because she wanted to get her head around the law first.

As far as I am concerned, the driver deserves to be charged with dangerous driving and failing to exchange particulars. Will be writing a letter to the officer in charge at the Dutton Park police station about this.
You, of all people, should know to write to the Commissioner. Apart from anything else, I'm fairly sure that it is not open to a copper to refuse to take a statement about an incident simply because he or she does not understand the law.

And get the driver's identity from the rego. Given recent events, I'm sure you have to see a psychologist, physiotherapist, etc, who will now cost some extra sessions. Send the motorist a letter of demand.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:58 am

hey craig. screw em. just go straight to TT/ACA

herzog

Postby herzog » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:44 am

cowled wrote: Yes, have reported it to the police. Just my luck to get a police officer who seriously believed that I should have been riding on the footpath (EDIT: I did point out to her that there was no footpath and I had every right to be on the road anyhow). She also quoted s.253 of the road rules at me. That's the one that says cyclists should not obstruct traffic

Talk about victim blaming. I'm surprised she didn't give you a lecture about wearing short skirts...

This response warrants a formal complaint up the food chain.

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:13 am

herzog wrote:
cowled wrote: Yes, have reported it to the police. Just my luck to get a police officer who seriously believed that I should have been riding on the footpath (EDIT: I did point out to her that there was no footpath and I had every right to be on the road anyhow). She also quoted s.253 of the road rules at me. That's the one that says cyclists should not obstruct traffic

Talk about victim blaming. I'm surprised she didn't give you a lecture about wearing short skirts...

This response warrants a formal complaint up the food chain.
Yep last time a police officer didn't know the law (said I should have been on the crappy footpath and he was thinking about chargin me with obstructing traffic - and was supported in this approach by his superior) I wrote to the assistant commissioner metro north to complain and request road rule education for ALL officers in that station. I received a reply to say that was going to happen. I'd definitely complain about your incident. At least mine wrote it down before threatening me.

Dragster1

Postby Dragster1 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:28 am

InTheWoods wrote:
Yep last time a police officer didn't know the law (said I should have been on the crappy footpath and he was thinking about chargin me with obstructing traffic - and was supported in this approach by his superior) I wrote to the assistant commissioner metro north to complain and request road rule education for ALL officers in that station. I received a reply to say that was going to happen. I'd definitely complain about your incident. At least mine wrote it down before threatening me.
They just say this to you so that you get out of their face a happy lad. Is there any proof that they actually done it.
Personally the best thing is most likely what Jasonc said (ACA) but you might have a bounty put on your head they hate to be made to look like fools :shock:

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:34 am

I think they did, I spoke to both ends on the phone at one point and it seemed that way.

Dragster1

Postby Dragster1 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:47 am

InTheWoods wrote:I think they did, I spoke to both ends on the phone at one point and it seemed that way.
Well you done your part I would be happy with that 8) , it just seams unfair how everything is secret squirrel stuff with them and I know of other situations where they just brushed people under the carpet and named them as a nuisance

AKO

Postby AKO » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:06 am

Yesterday I had a bozo shave me into a roundabout and then brake heavily once he squeezed in front. Moron was carrying a length of guttering that sloped up and hang over the tailgate by at least 1.5 metres, right at face level for me. But it was all cool cause he had a red rag tied to it.
Giant TCR Advanced 1 (2014)
Malvern Star XCS 5.0 MTB (2012)
Malvern Star Path Racer 1 (2015)
ProLite Cuneo

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:49 pm

Coming back from Terrey Hils today on the Scalpel, I was approaching a merge point where it goes from 3 to 2 lanes. I had a couple of roadies behind me, and about 75m back I saw a Merc approaching. I'd have been doing 35-40 km/hr on a slight decline.

I could see how the timing was going to play out, I'd have to jam on the brakes hard to avoid a sideswipe so I indicated with my arm out 90 degrees and moved over early to take the lane.

5 seconds or so later the Merc just stood on the horn and skimmed me with less than 30cm to spare. He had a full empty lane next to him

And then they got caught at the lights. :lol: So I asked them what that was for and trophy wife was mouthing something. Wouldn't wind down the window, so couldn't hear a thing they were saying. The 10 years-older husband was busy giving me the finger. Trophy wife turned and told him to settle down.

It's not only bogans. :roll:

Kev365428

Postby Kev365428 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:54 pm

Bogans can drive Mercs, as you've just witnessed.

Income levels don't define bogans.

Kev.

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:02 pm

Real bogans drive Commodores and think velomobiles are "awesome" ...

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:12 pm

trailgumby wrote:Coming back from Terrey Hils today on the Scalpel, I was approaching a merge point where it goes from 3 to 2 lanes. I had a couple of roadies behind me, and about 75m back I saw a Merc approaching. I'd have been doing 35-40 km/hr on a slight decline.

I could see how the timing was going to play out, I'd have to jam on the brakes hard to avoid a sideswipe so I indicated with my arm out 90 degrees and moved over early to take the lane.

5 seconds or so later the Merc just stood on the horn and skimmed me with less than 30cm to spare. He had a full empty lane next to him

And then they got caught at the lights. :lol: So I asked them what that was for and trophy wife was mouthing something. Wouldn't wind down the window, so couldn't hear a thing they were saying. The 10 years-older husband was busy giving me the finger. Trophy wife turned and told him to settle down.

It's a pity she didn't wind the window down because you could have given her a water bottle shower to awaken her from her moronic dream world.

human909

Postby human909 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:48 pm

Kev365428 wrote:Bogans can drive Mercs, as you've just witnessed.

Income levels don't define bogans.

Kev.
Absolutely.

http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 12&t=72062" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:34 pm

I wouldn't bother with the Officer in Charge. I would simply write to the Minister of Police seeking clarification on what she or he considers acceptable standards of policing, knowledge of the law etc by Police Officers and how all this is improves road safety etc. All very polite but asking for an examplantation and clarificaiton.

The Minister will in turn seek "advice" from the Commissioner who who will have a Senior Officer investigagte. Eventually you will or should get a followup from within the Police plus a response from the Minister. The Commissioner will have to respond to the Minister explaining why the Officer behaved as they did.

Odds on you will get a much better response in future :wink:

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:50 pm

Dragster1 wrote: They just say this to you so that you get out of their face a happy lad. Is there any proof that they actually done it.
Well all I can say is that in my experience traffic complaints made to Fremantle Police by myself are now handled by a Sergeant and not a Constable which is more normal as a result of my raising my concerns via the Commissioner's Office. Also the previous Superintendent and the Senior Sergeant Traffic have moved on. Now that may have had nothing to do with the complaints, the last of which was handled by the now Deputy Commissioner, but either way it is a positive outcome for Fremantle.

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:52 pm

I think it would be fair to say that the young female driver of 1DYY206 didn't even look; she didn't turn her head when I called out so I doubt she even knew I was there.

Thankfully I have well and truly learnt to becareful in roundabouts but I was still caught out somewhat here. This roundabout is in inner Fremantle, there are lots of pedestrians about, traffic is generally built up, there are pedestrian crossings at this roundabout, yet Ms 1DYY206 just drove straight into the roundabout without a care in the world. I saw no evidence of her slowing down to ensure it was safe to proceed first.

What makes it worse is that she is a green p-plate driver, that is a provisional licence holder a novice driver with between six months and two years driving experience.

Yet to decide if to report this or not.

Andrew

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:19 pm

trailgumby wrote: So I asked them what that was for and trophy wife was mouthing something. Wouldn't wind down the window, so couldn't hear a thing they were saying. The 10 years-older husband was busy giving me the finger. Trophy wife turned and told him to settle down. :
Hi trailgumby,
No one is going to disagree with you having been done wrong, but your description of these folks is pretty deplorable and detracts from your emphasis to your argument.
If you saw the same folks cycling on the cycle path, a man with his wife, would your description of them be the same.
Or is simply that they were in a Merc?
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:28 pm

Not much I can do about this impatient Mercedes Benz driver who made this right turn forcing me on to the brakes. BTW a few seconds up the road he turned right.

This occurred on South Terrace, Fremantle, a street known for its traffic issues. In fact the issue of traffic problems made the local paper, the Fremantle Herald this past week.

Mr Mercedes Benz driver I guess was doing his bit to add to the reputation of the street.

Andrew

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:17 pm

outnabike wrote:
trailgumby wrote: So I asked them what that was for and trophy wife was mouthing something. Wouldn't wind down the window, so couldn't hear a thing they were saying. The 10 years-older husband was busy giving me the finger. Trophy wife turned and told him to settle down. :
Hi trailgumby,
No one is going to disagree with you having been done wrong, but your description of these folks is pretty deplorable and detracts from your emphasis to your argument.
If you saw the same folks cycling on the cycle path, a man with his wife, would your description of them be the same.
Or is simply that they were in a Merc?
Hmm, let's see. :) Obviously wealthy (judging by dress and other accoutrements, not just the car), quite arrogant and less than handsome much older male and very pretty, younger wife with teenage son in the back seat that is a little too old to be hers ...

If the same set of clues were present when they were on bikes, yeah, I guess I probably would be thinking the same thing. :)

At least the wife had the decency to shush her husband when he was getting out of control, so maybe I'm being a bit unfair on her. A bit.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:02 pm

biker jk wrote:
trailgumby wrote:Coming back from Terrey Hils today on the Scalpel, I was approaching a merge point where it goes from 3 to 2 lanes. I had a couple of roadies behind me, and about 75m back I saw a Merc approaching. I'd have been doing 35-40 km/hr on a slight decline.

It's a pity she didn't wind the window down because you could have given her a water bottle shower to awaken her from her moronic dream world.
Unfortunately, this doesn't help anything. Sometimes it is better to just let them rage/rant and try to ignore it, if at all possible and safe to do so.

Dragster1

Postby Dragster1 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:18 pm

Aushiker wrote:
Dragster1 wrote: They just say this to you so that you get out of their face a happy lad. Is there any proof that they actually done it.
Well all I can say is that in my experience traffic complaints made to Fremantle Police by myself are now handled by a Sergeant and not a Constable which is more normal as a result of my raising my concerns via the Commissioner's Office. Also the previous Superintendent and the Senior Sergeant Traffic have moved on. Now that may have had nothing to do with the complaints, the last of which was handled by the now Deputy Commissioner, but either way it is a positive outcome for Fremantle.

Andrew
Have you got any documentation that is singed and dated by the Deputy commissioner that something was actually done about your particular complaint. In Queensland they will tell you anything by mouth but do bugger all.