Moron Motorists #3

find_bruce

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby find_bruce » Tue May 06, 2014 3:43 pm

find_bruce wrote:Had a MM turning right into Meta St Croydonfailed to give way to me & narrowly avoided running into me.

The irony was that is was a healthscope vehicle - yes the company that provides hospital, rehabilitation, pathology & medical centres apparently needs more work :roll:

Feedback to their head office has drawn a quick response, so will wait & see what the State manager has to say
Just received a response from Healthscope
After some investigation I have identified the staff member who was driving in Croydon on 22nd April.
He has been counselled regarding his dangerous driving and severely reprimanded for his actions.
We have also arranged for re-training in the current RTA rules and regulations.

We take this kind of complaint very seriously, with our key focus on the Health & safety of the public particularly when it comes to our drivers.
Valuable feedback such as this helps us to refine our processes and strive for better quality of service.

Once again please accept our sincere apology for any concern this has caused you and thank you for bringing it to our attention.
I am satisfied with the response. Yes it is always possible I am being lied to, but the first 4 sentences do not read like a form letter & I choose to accept the response as genuine.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Tue May 06, 2014 4:36 pm

Which intersection was it at? And which way were you going?

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue May 06, 2014 7:17 pm

wellington_street wrote:Which intersection was it at? And which way were you going?
Sorry I thought it was clear from the google map I linked to Meta St Croydon in NSW, streetview from my perspective. it is a common as muck 4 way intersection like this
Both of us were at a give way sign, I was turning left (ie green vehicle), he was turning right (ie red vehicle) so Road Rule 68(2) says I must give way to everyone except an oncoming vehicle turning right at a give way sign & he must give way to everyone.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Tue May 06, 2014 8:13 pm

Thanks find_bruce. For some reason the link didn't load up streetview, just the aerial when I clicked this morning :)

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue May 06, 2014 10:15 pm

From a ride the other week. Moron motorist? Moron designed infrastructure? both? :| :| :roll:

Last edited by Lukeyboy on Tue May 06, 2014 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue May 06, 2014 10:28 pm

wellington_street wrote:Thanks find_bruce. For some reason the link didn't load up streetview, just the aerial when I clicked this morning :)
& it still doesn't - I made the subsequent post link to streetview because I thought it might make it clearer - & it seems it did :)

human909

Postby human909 » Tue May 06, 2014 11:02 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:From a ride the other week. Moron motorist? Moron designed infrastructure? both? :| :| :roll:
Certainly no moron motorist. There was nothing illegal or even wrong or unsafe about the way the motorist was driving.

If by infrastructure you mean tiny paintings of bicycles then yes that is absolute rubbish and it was just as bad before the roundabout as in it. I'm so use to ignoring bicycle symbols that the notion that it is bad infrastructure barely occurs to me.

But it doesn't seem exactly worse than the 90% of other Queensland bike danger markings. (Surely that is what those picture of bikes mean in QLD?) In Melbourne many councils have finally cottoned on and are now remarking roundabouts with markings to actively encourage cyclists to take the lane. Of course the State body is continuing to refuse to recognise symbols such as sharrows, but councils are using them regardless. :mrgreen:

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue May 06, 2014 11:13 pm

The only problem I had was that she left the door open as she ran around the car/rummaging through the boot but it does demonstrate how car doors can effectively block bike lanes if some poor bastard happens to be suckered into riding along it. No issues with the car at the roundabout.

You'd love this gem of cycling infrastructure. The start and finish of a bike lane.
Seriously. The !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! that counts as cycling infrastructure is just a joke up here hahaha.

human909

Postby human909 » Tue May 06, 2014 11:32 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:The only problem I had was that she left the door open as she ran around the car/rummaging through the boot but it does demonstrate how car doors can effectively block bike lanes if some poor bastard happens to be suckered into riding along it. No issues with the car at the roundabout.
Oh, as you see I misunderstood who you had an issue with. Still I don't see a problem with leaving he door open like that. It isn't blocking the road as there is plenty of space and it makes it clear that there is activity going on around the car and for other road users to be aware.

As it happens you wouldn't find me riding on the left side of that line unless I was going uphill at a snails pace. At the pace you were going I'd be WELL clear of any door zone.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed May 07, 2014 8:03 am

human909 wrote: Still I don't see a problem with leaving he door open like that. It isn't blocking the road as there is plenty of space and it makes it clear that there is activity going on around the car and for other road users to be aware
But it does highlight how many bike lanes aren't suitable to ride in most of the time. I bet she wouldn't have left the door open if it stuck out in the motor vehicle lane though. Motorist ok, infrastructure sucky.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

elantra

Postby elantra » Wed May 07, 2014 10:32 am

foo on patrol wrote:Sunday Bunch Ride on Bribie. We are travelling along thr Espanade in single file with our lights on (sun is up) sunddenly everyone is going evertwhere and I looks up to see a red I30 has pulled out in front of us.:mad: No indicator was used, just pulled straight out. Red flag to a bull to me as I see they aren't going to getaway from us. I sprint after them and get the slipstream and kick along side to the drivers window. The driver is in not looking not looking mode as I give him a burst of WTH are you thing fool. I then kick again to pass him and then move back over to the left. When he finally goes past he gives me the finger, so he did see me.:lol:

The girls in the group watched on on astonishment at my little driver education sermon and thought, noway Foo is chasing him down but the were wrong and I said he now maybe more aware of cyclists and pulling out infront of them.:idea:

Foo
Hopefully Mr i30 has learnt how to exit from parked position with due care and attention. (and use an indicator)
But it is difficult to know for sure.
Still one has to try and give appropriate feedback and education to other road users, but it can be difficult to know what is appropriate under the circumstances. :wink:

human909

Postby human909 » Wed May 07, 2014 11:58 am

bychosis wrote:But it does highlight how many bike lanes aren't suitable to ride in most of the time. I bet she wouldn't have left the door open if it stuck out in the motor vehicle lane though. Motorist ok, infrastructure sucky.
Yes. I agree that alot of bike "infrastructure" is entirely unsuitable.

She left the door open because there was plenty of space for passing traffic. In fact I would have probably done the same thing. There are not two lanes on that road. There is only one and there is a shoulder with bicycle markings. There is no bike lane!

Ross

Postby Ross » Wed May 07, 2014 1:12 pm

I think the yellow bike symbols are just there to alert motorists to be aware of cyclists in the area. The "bike lane" beside the road full of parked cars maybe like ones in Adelaide that are only actual bike lanes at certain times of the day and for the rest of the time it is legal to park there. A rather silly idea IMO, should either be a bike lane or not a bike lane, not a part time one.

Ross

Postby Ross » Wed May 07, 2014 3:09 pm

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-new ... zr69d.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

International driver has drink driving case thrown out

human909

Postby human909 » Wed May 07, 2014 3:26 pm

Ross wrote:http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-new ... zr69d.html

International driver has drink driving case thrown out
So is the Moron the policeman, the prosecutor or a passing motorist?

Or is the foreigner who may not have known the precise laws, but as it turns out neither did the those who tried to charge him. :wink:
Last edited by human909 on Wed May 07, 2014 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed May 07, 2014 3:27 pm

Ross wrote:I think the yellow bike symbols are just there to alert motorists to be aware of cyclists in the area. The "bike lane" beside the road full of parked cars maybe like ones in Adelaide that are only actual bike lanes at certain times of the day and for the rest of the time it is legal to park there. A rather silly idea IMO, should either be a bike lane or not a bike lane, not a part time one.
in brisbane, unfortunately not. they are "bike lanes" which means cars are allowed to park there whenever the please. They are technically Bike awareness zones. Like Luke, riding in them is rare/optional at best especially with the amount of parked cars.

re the canberra case there are 2 morons - the prosecutor and the motorist

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed May 07, 2014 3:40 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:The only problem I had was that she left the door open as she ran around the car/rummaging through the boot but it does demonstrate how car doors can effectively block bike lanes if some poor bastard happens to be suckered into riding along it. No issues with the car at the roundabout.

You'd love this gem of cycling infrastructure. The start and finish of a bike lane.
Seriously. The showtime that counts as cycling infrastructure is just a joke up here hahaha.

We still have some absolute shitzen rubbish in Vic too. Can't find a photo, but Flemington Rd Parville is just one shocker off hand. Heavily trafficked with the "bike lane" sandwiched firmly in the door zone. I travel down that rd for work occasionally and shudder when I see the poor victims of this "infrastructure" negotiating what is nothing more than a safety hazard.

You have the recent safe passing laws up there which lead Australia with respect to legislating for bicycle safety. :) It is ominously silent on them down here. :x
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed May 07, 2014 4:19 pm

Didn't stop Mr Toyota Hylux today overtaking me around a downhill blind corner while I was doing 70kph and increasing in the middle/right handside of the lane (taking the racing line). He was easily was doing 95kph plus at the time. Mt Nebo idiots :P

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Fri May 09, 2014 10:42 am

Had a female MM in a BMW (I'm noticing a pattern here - always seems to be the 30s-40s females in expensive cars who do this) overtake me across double lines in a 40km/h zone, less than 100m from a red light. I cycled up on her right at the lights and requested she wind down her window to discuss the matter but she wasn't brave enough. At the next red light (2 blocks away) I filtered past and pulled up 2nd from the stop line, turned around and waved and blew her a kiss. She didn't like that :lol:

That was then followed by another illegal overtake across a solid centreline on the next street, this time by another early 30s female. :roll:

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri May 09, 2014 11:12 am

wellington_street wrote:Had a female MM in a BMW (I'm noticing a pattern here - always seems to be the 30s-40s females in expensive cars who do this) overtake me across double lines in a 40km/h zone, less than 100m from a red light. I cycled up on her right at the lights and requested she wind down her window to discuss the matter but she wasn't brave enough. At the next red light (2 blocks away) I filtered past and pulled up 2nd from the stop line, turned around and waved and blew her a kiss. She didn't like that :lol:

That was then followed by another illegal overtake across a solid centreline on the next street, this time by another early 30s female. :roll:
Not my general experience, but Tuesday I had a 30-40 female driving a BMW pull out to safely pass me, then deliberately drove left to run me off the road. Will be taking the videos to the cops as soon as I have an hour

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri May 09, 2014 4:46 pm

find_bruce wrote:
wellington_street wrote:Had a female MM in a BMW (I'm noticing a pattern here - always seems to be the 30s-40s females in expensive cars who do this) overtake me across double lines in a 40km/h zone, less than 100m from a red light. I cycled up on her right at the lights and requested she wind down her window to discuss the matter but she wasn't brave enough. At the next red light (2 blocks away) I filtered past and pulled up 2nd from the stop line, turned around and waved and blew her a kiss. She didn't like that :lol:

Not my general experience, but Tuesday I had a 30-40 female driving a BMW pull out to safely pass me, then deliberately drove left to run me off the road. Will be taking the videos to the cops as soon as I have an hour
BMW drivers do feature on my list of worst offenders but they come behind Ford/Holden ute, Hilux and Audi drivers.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri May 09, 2014 4:57 pm

In my experience Audi driving aggros are less common but more blatant and nasty than the BMWs.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Cinder

Postby Cinder » Fri May 09, 2014 7:09 pm

Audi has been the new car of choice for c*** heads for a while.

Watch, I guarantee you'll see more and more "Audi" driver stories.

Sadly, I'm looking at Audi/BMW at the moment. Ahahahaha.
*** insert signature here ***

kenwstr

Postby kenwstr » Fri May 09, 2014 7:18 pm

Not too many problems with Alpha drivers.
I'm told they like to walk. :wink:

Ken

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri May 09, 2014 7:30 pm

il padrone wrote:In my experience Audi driving aggros are less common but more blatant and nasty than the BMWs.

They are great at closing boots too :P