Moron Motorists #3

g-boaf

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby g-boaf » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:52 pm

I'm wary of petrol station driveways. I've almost seen that happen in person. Can't believe the driver wasn't watching more carefully.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:57 pm

You would think the driver would be aware of cyclists after a couple just passed right in front of him. But, crap infrastructure to blame too.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:15 am

The 2nd Womble wrote:
Boognoss wrote:This happened 10m in front of me on my commute this morning. Yes moron driver, but it's extremely dodgy infrastructure design and you can't rely on MMs to look for cycle traffic when heading east.

If I were the lead bike I'd probably have tapped the Air Zound button and depending on driver reaction either waited (grumpily since motorists need to give way to users on the shared path when exiting a property) or gone behind the car. I've been crossing the same driveway a number of time where the Air Zound has assisted the driver's perception.

Surprisingly given that I ride on this path two ways every commuting day this is the first actual collision. Only one in roughly 500+.

You might want to check out the SCA thread on fb. The youtube link was sent to me around 5 hours ago and its5 approaching a reply count of 80!!!
Ta, just added to it over there.
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:18 am

DavidS wrote:You would think the driver would be aware of cyclists after a couple just passed right in front of him. But, crap infrastructure to blame too.

DS
Indeed. He clipped the rear wheel of one of the leading riders too. Still looking to the right when starting to accelerate forward :roll: :roll:
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:21 am

InTheWoods wrote:Out of curiosity what did the driver say? I notice they went and had a look at the front of their car but hopefully that was after checking the rider was ok.
He was apologetic and admitted completely that he just didn't look. That's about all I heard. Got details from the rider so I could email him the video and continued my commute.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:01 am

Yep saw that one through SCA, boog. I've been the guy cleaned up like that. Really needs a brutal speed bump to prevent cars from trying to enter traffic... and to jump on the hobby horse, this is precisely why share paths in the footpath area are a bad idea. They aren't common, and they present a natural risk to riders. Fact is, a cyclist can legally ride at 20kmh (a very fast run speed) and magically appear in front of the car, creating all sorts of drama where the driver could be argued to have checked the path, turned their head for the traffic, then entered the road way and hit the cyclist.
Stupid infrastructure design creates danger. Enabling drivers to enter the road way, THEN merge with the traffic could help this. Putting a huge sign preventing them from attempting to enter the roadway could be helpful as well.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:37 am

Ms Driver with Kids in the Car seems to be rather impatient. I am 95% certain I have come across this driver in the same locality exhibiting the same behaviour, except last time she missed timed her attempt at passing and had to pull back. That time she didn't catch me again till well after the roundabout (yep I was cursing along faster than her) and then she passed me only to have me catch her again at the traffic lights.

She really needs to leave home a little earlier, to learn to be chill out and to demonstrate far more calmer behaviour to her children. All her anger on both occasions has not achieved anything. I just hope one day she does not misjudge it and someone gets injured or worse. A second or two is not worth it.

Andrew

FuzzyDropbear

Postby FuzzyDropbear » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:42 am

Aushiker wrote:

Ms Driver with Kids in the Car seems to be rather impatient. I am 95% certain I have come across this driver in the same locality exhibiting the same behaviour, except last time she missed timed her attempt at passing and had to pull back. That time she didn't catch me again till well after the roundabout (yep I was cursing along faster than her) and then she passed me only to have me catch her again at the traffic lights.

She really needs to leave home a little earlier, to learn to be chill out and to demonstrate far more calmer behaviour to her children. All her anger on both occasions has not achieved anything. I just hope one day she does not misjudge it and someone gets injured or worse. A second or two is not worth it.

Andrew
Another great vid to show the difference between the perceived lack of speed of a bike and the reality of it. I'd hate to be in some vehicles, the way some drivers take speed humps etc. must bounce passengers around stupidly, taking away the 'comfy ride' benefit of the car.

On a side note, I had a chuckle when watching your feet when the video is sped up, looks like you're in some kind of Bruce Lee film or something because you can't really see the pedals :lol: I must get around to trying one of those recumbent things one day.

Bakks

Postby Bakks » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:25 pm

Aushiker wrote:

Andrew
I've watched this video a few times and still can't see what the fuss is about. It's a two lane road, she passed a slower vehicle with plenty of room, and then slowed down at an intersection where you caught her. What's the big deal?

r2160

Postby r2160 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:37 pm

While I can sympathise wit the rider, and am constantly amazed at drivers and their inability to see, I would have treated that situation differently.

I would have ridden behind the vehicle, as I would have assumed that the car driver wouldnt look properly.

While we need to keep onto drivers about looking properly, I also think we need to think self preservation as well.

Hope the guy and his bike are OK

cheers
Glenn
-----------
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever" Lance Armstrong

zero

Postby zero » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:53 pm

Bakks wrote:
Aushiker wrote:

Andrew
I've watched this video a few times and still can't see what the fuss is about. It's a two lane road, she passed a slower vehicle with plenty of room, and then slowed down at an intersection where you caught her. What's the big deal?
its irritating in the exact same way that a rider left passing a bunch of queued cars is and subsequently blocking them from going at 60. No more, no less (since the car is going to slow the bike down after passing it). I can't see much of a safety issue, the space was there for the pass, the bike didn't get cut off and vision ahead seemed adequate, and there were no parked cars on the drivers side of the road, so nowhere for a kid to spring out of anything...

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby antigee » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:24 pm

the petrol station video should be used for training purposes:
1/. the importance of eye contact - hard sometimes - especially with tinted windows - but the option was there to slow and go behind the car - if no room I'd probably risk an earful for tapping on the passenger side window and smiling nicely

2/. to show road planners bike paths that put cyclists in positions where many drivers don't look should be avoided - they create situations that require cyclists to mitigate the danger - incidentally use to live opposite a bus stop on a main road and used to love it when drivers would pull out the adjacent side road only looking left and accelerate straight into the back of a stopped bus - I hope some learned something

3/. to show drivers that they have to be aware of other road users and not just focus "on the gap in the traffic"

Hope the cyclist recovers and gets bike fixed OK

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:57 pm

In Queensland its legal to ride on the footpath so alot of the time you end up seeing drivers squeezing up all the way to pretty much the gutter which leaves plenty of space behind the car for peds/cyclists to get past rather than trying to squeeze past the front bumper and the road. In the end it becomes common practice to ride/walk behind the car exiting as is the case outside the servo/bp next to the Royal Brisbane Womens Hospital.

newie

Postby newie » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:32 pm

antigee wrote:the petrol station video should be used for training purposes:
1/. the importance of eye contact - hard sometimes - especially with tinted windows - but the option was there to slow and go behind the car - if no room I'd probably risk an earful for tapping on the passenger side window and smiling nicely

2/. to show road planners bike paths that put cyclists in positions where many drivers don't look should be avoided - they create situations that require cyclists to mitigate the danger - incidentally use to live opposite a bus stop on a main road and used to love it when drivers would pull out the adjacent side road only looking left and accelerate straight into the back of a stopped bus - I hope some learned something

3/. to show drivers that they have to be aware of other road users and not just focus "on the gap in the traffic"

Hope the cyclist recovers and gets bike fixed OK
You forgot one. Anyone whinging about cyclists using the road instead of an available cycle or shared path should be shown this video.

Dragster1

Postby Dragster1 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:06 pm

I don't know why but a lot of people don't look both ways when they pull out of drive ways. I see this all the time, Yep the first thing is eye contact to see if they are in lah lah land or not. You think he would of looked or stopped when the first rider rode past him but hay just like his shirt said what a Unit.

BianchiCam

Postby BianchiCam » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:25 pm

Am I getting too old and grumpy?

Just fired this off to a local Farming Contractor in Red Hill

Dear Mr Hunt,

Please view the attached link showing some unsafe driving by you or one of your staff this morning.(Fri 10th 0740 Mornington-Flinders Rd, Main Ridge)

At the speed they were travelling, they came up fast enough and close enough to shunt me about while commuting to work on a pushy.Being 'blown around means too close' and should not happen.

It is unfortunate that I must record my cycle rides but due to the many 'hairy' moments I receive they are a necessity. Often referred to as 'Coroners Cameras' I also often drive a car and motorbike to Main Ridge daily but it is always the pushy that cops it.

Please would you educate your staff that they also have a duty of care under OH&S when travelling in work cars/trucks as well.

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:01 pm

More "action" on today's commute home. Two in two days - idiot non-cycling Sydney drivers (I drive and observe just as many idiots when behind the wheel).

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:01 am

Boognoss wrote:This happened 10m in front of me on my commute this morning. Yes moron driver, but it's extremely dodgy infrastructure design and you can't rely on MMs to look for cycle traffic when heading east.

If I were the lead bike I'd probably have tapped the Air Zound button and depending on driver reaction either waited (grumpily since motorists need to give way to users on the shared path when exiting a property) or gone behind the car. I've been crossing the same driveway a number of time where the Air Zound has assisted the driver's perception.

Surprisingly given that I ride on this path two ways every commuting day this is the first actual collision. Only one in roughly 500+.

No question the cyclist(s) was entitled to proceed just as he did and legally and technically, the driver was 100% at fault. No question.

However, given the car had their nose over the path already, didn't anyone look to see whether the driver was looking? There is no way I would have ridden in front of that car unless I had established eye contact first. I just don't trust drivers when I know what the consequences could be with such an imbalance of power (personal risk). You guys were WAY more trusting than I would ever be.

Again, no question you are 100% legal and technically correct in what you did. I just think it could have been avoided by self preservation instinct. Shame we have to of course. The car should have to stop further back, cross the cycle path, then wait to enter the road. Alternately, the cycle path should go behind the petrol station like they do in The Netherlands.

Sorry to sound so critical but I ride behind the car every time in that situation.

Edit - I should add that I've made many mistakes that would have looked very silly on hindsight video. I also acknowledge your comments about what you would have done if you had been the lead cyclist. I wonder sometimes if the lead cyclist is under pressure to KRAAC (Keep rolling at all cost) by the riders drafting (tailgating) behind. Then did this rider feel pressure to follow the leader, rather than go behind. What were you going to do Boognoss? You looked like you were going to go in front but were slowing to make sure. Again, its easy to judge in hindsight. I'm not trying to be overly judgemental, just putting my personal opinion out there.

PPS - What would Danny MacAskill do ? Hehe ;-)
Last edited by Rhubarb on Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:11 am

Boognoss wrote:

More "action" on today's commute home. Two in two days - idiot non-cycling Sydney drivers (I drive and observe just as many idiots when behind the wheel).
Wow - That's very unfriendly cycling infrastructure !!! I bet you don't see a lot of women, children or elderly cycling there. You seem pretty level headed but please keep your wits about you and put self preservation first at all times in that environment. I'm not telling you to not ride there, as I don't fully understand the environment/risks, I'm just saying it looks ugly so please be careful. :-)

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:17 am

BianchiCam wrote:Am I getting too old and grumpy?
Maybe just asking for the opportunity to get old and grumpy ;-)

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:30 am

Aushiker wrote:

Andrew
Andrew,

Just a safety tip from someone who learnt with a fright. When you're riding a recumbent, remember you are lower to the ground than other traffic and don't pull up so close directly behind a car like that or 4wd etc. As they say, if you cannot see their mirrors, they cannot see you.

I pulled up behind a Landcruiser one night in my velomobile in a shopping centre car park at a T junction. Inexplicably, they driver decided to reverse !!! I was lucky that someone stopped to stare at me in my velomobile and then yelled at her to stop when I beeped my horn. I couldn't get out of their fast enough. These days I always stop well back and in line with the right hand mirror. That way, even if they don't see you, you can accelerate forward and go around the car in front.

Please take this as friendly advice from someone who nearly learnt the hard way, but escaped with just a scare. :-)

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:20 am

InTheWoods wrote:
trailgumby wrote: Weird how the front wheel came off
I thought that too. Can't see how it could happen without breaking the forks?
The fork would have ever so slightly deformed inwards on the right hand side from the initial impact. Because of the quick release setup instead of the skewer holding the hub to the fork the impact was now holding one side of the fork to the hub. Because of the compression that now created a gap for the wheel to drop out when normally it would be a tight and secure fit. The added sideways force to the top section of the wheel was enough to separate the hub from the fork as if it just popped off. All that would have happened in a split second as the fork was deforming and compressing during the impact. Once it was off gravity and momentum did the rest.

Edit: As you can see.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:35 am

Hi Boognoss,
Well done to catch that on camera, It will be the best thing to aid the poor bloke that was hit.

The first rider would not have expected that move forward either, and even though the car driver may have been looking right, you still expect them to look left again. It's what we teach our kids.

It sure happened quickly and lets hope the rider doesn't have further injuries that affect him later.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:00 am

Lukeyboy wrote:
InTheWoods wrote:
trailgumby wrote: Weird how the front wheel came off
I thought that too. Can't see how it could happen without breaking the forks?
The fork would have ever so slightly deformed inwards on the right hand side from the initial impact. Because of the quick release setup instead of the skewer holding the hub to the fork the impact was now holding one side of the fork to the hub. Because of the compression that now created a gap for the wheel to drop out when normally it would be a tight and secure fit. The added sideways force to the top section of the wheel was enough to separate the hub from the fork as if it just popped off. All that would have happened in a split second as the fork was deforming and compressing during the impact. Once it was off gravity and momentum did the rest.

Edit: As you can see.
That is fantastic analysis Lukeyboy. Very "Seconds to Disaster"-worthy ;)

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:12 am

Rhubarb wrote:
No question the cyclist(s) was entitled to proceed just as he did and legally and technically, the driver was 100% at fault. No question.

However, given the car had their nose over the path already, didn't anyone look to see whether the driver was looking? There is no way I would have ridden in front of that car unless I had established eye contact first. I just don't trust drivers when I know what the consequences could be with such an imbalance of power (personal risk). You guys were WAY more trusting than I would ever be.

Again, no question you are 100% legal and technically correct in what you did. I just think it could have been avoided by self preservation instinct. Shame we have to of course. The car should have to stop further back, cross the cycle path, then wait to enter the road. Alternately, the cycle path should go behind the petrol station like they do in The Netherlands.

Sorry to sound so critical but I ride behind the car every time in that situation.

Edit - I should add that I've made many mistakes that would have looked very silly on hindsight video. I also acknowledge your comments about what you would have done if you had been the lead cyclist. I wonder sometimes if the lead cyclist is under pressure to KRAAC (Keep rolling at all cost) by the riders drafting (tailgating) behind. Then did this rider feel pressure to follow the leader, rather than go behind. What were you going to do Boognoss? You looked like you were going to go in front but were slowing to make sure. Again, its easy to judge in hindsight. I'm not trying to be overly judgemental, just putting my personal opinion out there.

PPS - What would Danny MacAskill do ? Hehe ;-)
Completely honestly I was heading to ride around the front of the car. I normally do in that location, and if not behind other bikes would have bipped the air horn and made sure I had eye contact (as previously mentioned) The metal drain grate at the exit of the servo is pretty dodgy. Don't talk to me about hindsight - I have a hard drive full of video like that ;).

I don't know the other riders, was just in a commuting queue behind them. The two lead riders were together and I had tailed them for about 10km at that point. One of them I found out after emails went back and forth works at a nearby bike shop.

The guy that copped the brunt of it was solo and taken out of action with more than 10km to go - to the CBD.

I wish I had the skill to bunny hop over a little car like that :mrgreen: .
Rhubarb wrote:
Wow - That's very unfriendly cycling infrastructure !!! I bet you don't see a lot of women, children or elderly cycling there. You seem pretty level headed but please keep your wits about you and put self preservation first at all times in that environment. I'm not telling you to not ride there, as I don't fully understand the environment/risks, I'm just saying it looks ugly so please be careful. :-)
That's the first time in hundreds of rides on the M2 motorway shoulder/"official bike path :roll: " that I've ever seen anything so crazy. The occasional motorbike yes but never an impatient bint that felt like a Corolla vs. Fiesta or whatever it was drag race.
I usually feel a lot safer on there with my own lane than mixing it with traffic in a traffic lane (where the limit is over 60kph).