Moron Motorists #3

zero

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby zero » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:28 pm

Mulger bill wrote: Scary, but that is the most amazing under threat dismount I've ever seen. :shock:
I think mostly the car drivers change of direction achieved that - whilst the driver was probably driving a little too fast for a lane alongside stopped traffic (especially into a marked crossing), they don't belong in the moron thread - the light was set against the rider.

zero

Postby zero » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:29 pm

MisuVir wrote:I thought the moron was the guy in front who hopped out of his car, checked it for scratches, then drove off through the red light without checking if the cyclist was OK?
I think he was aware the cyclist was ok - agree on the red light though.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:07 pm

Gordonhooker wrote:If you check out the page the co-ordinator talks to the allegations made and defends the site in the same way we defend the MM and Dumb Cyclist threads, but then you look at the next few posts and the language leaves a lot to be desired...

The thing is both sides of this ongoing battle for "Who is right" need to step back and think about what they do.

Cyclists 2 abreast riding along a single lane road - double lines - 2 abreast is legal but why not yield and move back into single line to allow cars to pass safely? On both sides people believe they are entitled and bugger the rest of the road users...
There isn't a war. And at the same time, riding two abreast sometimes is reasonable. It depends on the circumstances. Same with claiming the lane, something that some people reckon we shouldn't do, until they get run up the gutter at a roundabout.

At the same time, car drivers need to pass when it is safe to do so, not at the soonest time and bugger everyone else. Common sense, patience and courtesy is the name of the game.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:01 am

Mulger bill wrote:Scary, but that is the most amazing under threat dismount I've ever seen. :shock:
Lady is cool as a cucumber after the event too. Calmly walks off the road goes back and collects the handbag, moves bike off the road. Amazing response !!
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:29 am

il padrone wrote: Lady is cool as a cucumber after the event too. Calmly walks off the road goes back and collects the handbag, moves bike off the road. Amazing response !!
Many years ago I was in a situation where I came within two millimeters of being killed so to speak, and everyone that seen it happen was amazed just how calm I was after it happened, to the extent of cracking a joke about the situation.

What no one knew about was me walking around the corner out of sight and spewing my heart out. :oops:

Gordonhooker

Postby Gordonhooker » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:11 am

human909 wrote:
Gordonhooker wrote:Cyclists 2 abreast riding along a single lane road - double lines - 2 abreast is legal but why not yield and move back into single line to allow cars to pass safely? On both sides people believe they are entitled and bugger the rest of the road users...
Because in some circumstances doing so can put the cyclist's safety at risk.

Yes as a cyclist I do believe I am entitled to be safe on the road. Yes I do think my entitlement of safety is more important than the the expediency of a motorist. As a motorist I think the same way.
Hence the animosity continues between the motorists and cyclists.... I figure it is best to not become part of the problem but that is just me... You are free to do what you like after all you are entitled....
OI onya bike!!!

human909

Postby human909 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:58 am

Gordonhooker wrote:Hence the animosity continues between the motorists and cyclists.... I figure it is best to not become part of the problem but that is just me... You are free to do what you like after all you are entitled....
If you think that cyclists riding in a safe manner is a problem then I cannot help you. Your accusations are not welcome.

MisuVir

Postby MisuVir » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:01 am

Cyclist attacked with a garden hoe.

If you're willing to take a swing at somebody with a potentially deadly weapon... Well, I would love to see these kinds of people locked up.

rogan

Postby rogan » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:10 am

MisuVir wrote:Cyclist attacked with a garden hoe.

If you're willing to take a swing at somebody with a potentially deadly weapon... Well, I would love to see these kinds of people locked up.
The thing is, whilst a garden hoe could do significant damage, a 1.5 tonne motor vehicle is much more dangerous. But only when these drongos drag their corpulence out of their 4x4s and start swinging are the fuzz likely to take it seriously.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:15 pm

human909 wrote:
Gordonhooker wrote:Hence the animosity continues between the motorists and cyclists.... I figure it is best to not become part of the problem but that is just me... You are free to do what you like after all you are entitled....
If you think that cyclists riding in a safe manner is a problem then I cannot help you. Your accusations are not welcome.
I find Gordon's posts have a common theme of cyclists' needs being of lesser importance than motorists' expediency.
I scan over them now with that filter in place :mrgreen:
Last edited by warthog1 on Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:17 pm

warthog1 wrote:
human909 wrote:
I find Gordon's posts have a common theme of cyclists needs being of lesser importance than motorists' expediency.
Yes, I've noticed that as well. Almost like someone working for a motoring advocacy group. I might be wrong though.

human909

Postby human909 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:31 pm

I'm not that suspicious. Just another cyclist who has been browbeaten into "knowing their place" as inferior to the motoring overlords.

Cyclists are constantly told that they slow down and inconvenience motorists. Well they do occasionally. However motorists are slowed down and inconvenienced by OTHER motorists far more often than by cyclists. For those of us who drive, we will quickly lose count the number of times on a trip that we will need to slow for other cars.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:40 pm

g-boaf wrote:
warthog1 wrote:
I find Gordon's posts have a common theme of cyclists needs being of lesser importance than motorists' expediency.
Yes, I've noticed that as well. Almost like someone working for a motoring advocacy group. I might be wrong though.
Bicycle Network or some other motoring advocacy group?
Dogs are the best people :wink:

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:23 pm

I could just see the fumes from a nice big SUV this morning. I had the audacity to claim the lane in some roadworks where there is no shoulder room at all. It was a 40 zone and I was going about 30. The vehicle behind me waited patiently for me, as I moved into some shoulder space I gave the tradie a wave of thanks. the SUV behind was all over the back of the tradie's trailer showing significant displeasure at being held up. I was quite thankful that the ute was first in line. I claimed the lane for around 20sec and there was no one directly behind me when I pulled out for the claim so couldn't have held them up for more than about 10s at 10km/h under the limit.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

stretts

Postby stretts » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:39 pm

bychosis wrote:I could just see the fumes from a nice big SUV this morning. I had the audacity to claim the lane in some roadworks where there is no shoulder room at all. It was a 40 zone and I was going about 30. The vehicle behind me waited patiently for me, as I moved into some shoulder space I gave the tradie a wave of thanks. the SUV behind was all over the back of the tradie's trailer showing significant displeasure at being held up. I was quite thankful that the ute was first in line. I claimed the lane for around 20sec and there was no one directly behind me when I pulled out for the claim so couldn't have held them up for more than about 10s at 10km/h under the limit.
quite unbelievable really, lucky you had the patient tradie behind you

kb

Moron Motorists #3

Postby kb » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:49 pm

Monday I was tailing a 4wd doing a right hand turn from the top of Lonsdale St into Spring St. I was surprised to hear a loud, long horn honk but not as surprised as the pedestrian who almost got run over while finishing her crossing on green.

yugyug

Postby yugyug » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:53 pm

Yesterday I was overtaken by a MM on the traffic calmed section of hindley st running through UniSA, for those that know it. It currently has a speed limit of 10kmph because the wrong street tiles were specified and there is a sliding and skidding problem.

I freely admit I was already going at least twice the speed limit ;) but that's still not fast enough for some!

MisuVir

Postby MisuVir » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:34 pm

kb wrote:Monday I was tailing a 4wd doing a right hand turn from the top of Lonsdale St into Spring St. I was surprised to hear a loud, long horn honk but not as surprised as the pedestrian who almost got run over while finishing her crossing on green.
Right filter turns are very dangerous for pedestrians. The few times I've almost been run down as a pedestrian have been crossing on the green when somebody did a filter turn on top of me. Drivers are more interested in looking for the gap in traffic than they are in looking for pedestrians crossing.

Now I keep an watchful eye on any traffic waiting to turn.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:41 pm

human909 wrote:I'm not that suspicious. Just another cyclist who has been browbeaten into "knowing their place" as inferior to the motoring overlords.

Cyclists are constantly told that they slow down and inconvenience motorists. Well they do rarely. However motorists are slowed down and inconvenienced by OTHER motorists and poor infrastructure far more often than by cyclists. For those of us who both ride and drive, we will quickly lose count the number of times on a trip that we will need to slow for cars.
Added a few things- 100% agree though :? :wink:

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:53 pm

Just left work when I got caught at the railway level crossing again. I went to the footpath as there are ramps and I can get a jump on the traffic. Anyway some dumbo in his Ford 'I can't afford a Toyota Hilux' Ranger comes up from behind and cuts across the front of me at a red light. The road merges into the right hand lane up ahead so why he felt the need to get in front was beyond me. Was it because he had to get in front? Was it because I wasn't riding in the bike lane? Was it because I rode on the footpath and then onto the road while he was suck at the level crossing? So in true fashion I pedalled a bit and got back in front. Not long before the lane merges he squeezes past well within the 1m rule and before he's passed me starts merging back to the left again. After that I looked down only to see power being displayed on my garmin then it hit me that I was on the race bike so there was no forward facing camera :(

So enjoy the footage from the rear facing camera.

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:34 pm

Wow what a knob lukey I know that spot.

I had a mgif 4wd this morning too.

Coming down KBR at the speed limit following traffic in front of me, avoiding the bike lane. 4wd wants me in the bike lane and honks horn. I just ignore it. Further down where the limit drops to 40kmh and I have a car 5-10m in front and I'm matching his speed, Mr 4wd actually tries to overtake me! He's there on the wrong side of the road realising he has nowhere to go and has to mush the brakes. So desperate to get past the bike he thinks is holding im up...

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:17 am

I had one of those Old Bloke turns Right Straight into Me episodes outside the Docklands Costco the other day. Lights on, hi vis, and he didn't see me :lol: If I didn't have the Costco carpark to turn into I would have gone over the bonnet. Then he gets all upset when I pointed out the issue. Made a big show of writing down his rego number and telling him I was reporting him to the cops, got him even more upset :lol:

rogan

Postby rogan » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:12 am

MisuVir wrote:
kb wrote:Monday I was tailing a 4wd doing a right hand turn from the top of Lonsdale St into Spring St. I was surprised to hear a loud, long horn honk but not as surprised as the pedestrian who almost got run over while finishing her crossing on green.
Right filter turns are very dangerous for pedestrians. The few times I've almost been run down as a pedestrian have been crossing on the green when somebody did a filter turn on top of me. Drivers are more interested in looking for the gap in traffic than they are in looking for pedestrians crossing.

Now I keep an watchful eye on any traffic waiting to turn.
Very dangerous for cyclists too, they aren't looking for us, unimpeded to the left of the stationary motors. Be very suspicious of gaps in lines of stationary vehicles...

Gordonhooker

Postby Gordonhooker » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:44 pm

human909 wrote:I'm not that suspicious. Just another cyclist who has been browbeaten into "knowing their place" as inferior to the motoring overlords.

Cyclists are constantly told that they slow down and inconvenience motorists. Well they do occasionally. However motorists are slowed down and inconvenienced by OTHER motorists far more often than by cyclists. For those of us who drive, we will quickly lose count the number of times on a trip that we will need to slow for other cars.
Actually close but not quite... it is not browbeaten is survival - after 50 + years of riding bicycles and 40 + years of riding motorcycle one learns what works and what doesn't work when it comes to personal survival. I have always believed that it is better to not put yourself into a position where you will always come off 2nd best.

Hey if some of you guys prefer to be right rather than safe then go right ahead and take your lane and ride two abreast and continue to piss moron motorists off - after all your in right and they aren't.
Last edited by Gordonhooker on Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OI onya bike!!!

Gordonhooker

Postby Gordonhooker » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:48 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:Just left work when I got caught at the railway level crossing again. I went to the footpath as there are ramps and I can get a jump on the traffic. Anyway some dumbo in his Ford 'I can't afford a Toyota Hilux' Ranger comes up from behind and cuts across the front of me at a red light. The road merges into the right hand lane up ahead so why he felt the need to get in front was beyond me. Was it because he had to get in front? Was it because I wasn't riding in the bike lane? Was it because I rode on the footpath and then onto the road while he was suck at the level crossing? So in true fashion I pedalled a bit and got back in front. Not long before the lane merges he squeezes past well within the 1m rule and before he's passed me starts merging back to the left again. After that I looked down only to see power being displayed on my garmin then it hit me that I was on the race bike so there was no forward facing camera :(

So enjoy the footage from the rear facing camera.
Yes that was close....

Luke that noise - is that clicking coming from your free wheel? I sounded mean...
OI onya bike!!!