Moron Motorists #3

warthog1

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby warthog1 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:30 pm

Oxford wrote:All it would have taken is to say "Buddy I know where you live!". That would make him think, well maybe not if he's that moronic.
Also likely to make him ramp up his response to a physical confrontation, if he takes that as a threat.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

AKO

Postby AKO » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:34 pm

Got shaved by a coffee van yesterday, after earlier buying one off him at one of my daughters sports carnivals.

It's a 2 day carnival and he's there again today, :twisted: . So I order the large triple mocha pistachio something or other (about 9 bucks worth) and start letting him know that endangering the lives of customers was not really in his best interest. He got a little upset and told me I should keep off the road. His wife goes to hand me my coffee. Nah, keep it.
Giant TCR Advanced 1 (2014)
Malvern Star XCS 5.0 MTB (2012)
Malvern Star Path Racer 1 (2015)
ProLite Cuneo

herzog

Postby herzog » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:43 pm

Win.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:11 pm

I'm leaning towards no interaction with motorists unless threatened and then if I judge I'm going to come out on top. There are some seriously violent people out there who lack a rational thought process to act as a handbrake to violent impulse. They are in a car you on a bike. Not a position of strength.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:16 pm

haha good work

malnar

Postby malnar » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:13 pm

Soccer mom does no look lefty in car park.

duncanm

Postby duncanm » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:47 pm

Bentnose wrote:Riding home on Thursday in the rain had a Commodore fail to give way at a give way sign while I was doing 45kph, would have been just ok except he immediately slammed on the anchors to pull into his driveway, I emergency braked while letting out a loud expletive and the bloke wound down his window and told me to "f off mate" obviously with more letters after the f, nice.
once the red mist has cleared, this is a perfect candidate for dropping a letter in his postbox.

Explain what happened from your perspective.. that you had to emergency brake and almost came a cropper. He should have looked, taken more care, and not have such disdain for cyclists.

You have a family, as does he.

<Mod says, 1 sentence removed, inappropriate suggestion>

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:27 pm

malnar wrote:Soccer mom does no look lefty in car park.
Hardly worth posting about though. Selfish maybe. Perhaps incompetent driving looking at the difficulty of doing a simple lefty. Or maybe got three other things in her vision to be aware off too. That's what it's like in a busy car park and that is what we all get a dozen times a day.

I don't always get it exactly right in a busy carpark of this sort myself. I venture that those who say they do better are incapable of honest self assessment.

The shopping trolleys shown left in the way by people who believe they are more important than you and I tells me more about the human condition. :x
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

BianchiCam

Postby BianchiCam » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:22 pm

OK, only a small one but still....c'mon man

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:38 pm

Instead of losing a few seconds while I got up to speed and even though I was still keeping speed with traffic in the other turning lane they decided to beep their horn. As soon as I heard the horn I instantly slowed just to make sure they were annoyed as they watched the traffic on the inside drive off into the sunset.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:00 pm

BianchiCam wrote:OK, only a small one but still....c'mon man

THAT looks scary. got a front camera view

dmwill

Postby dmwill » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:16 am

Oxford wrote:See now that is moronic, telling you where to get off as he drives into the driveway (of his residence?). Yeah lets upset someone, then broadcast where we live by going there. Retribution made easy, not that I am suggesting it be done, but do these people think about what they're doing at all?
I've lost count of the times I've had someone cut me off, only for them to pull into a driveway/carpark/shop 100m or so nearby.

Downhill

Postby Downhill » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:56 am

dmwill wrote: I've lost count of the times I've had someone cut me off, only for them to pull into a driveway/carpark/shop 100m or so nearby.
I was cut off twice yesterday. The first time I was in a cycle lane waiting at an intersection to cross on the green light. When the light changed I proceeded. I was about a third of the way across when a car coming towards me decided not to give way to oncoming traffic (me) and turned right, across my path. I would have yelled at him if I wasn't speechless.

Ten minutes later I was still in the cycle lane and doing about 25 kph. Same thing happened - a car coming towards me decided to turn right, into a driveway. He got half way across the cycle lane and then suddenly stopped, completely blocking it off. I had to brake to avoid hitting him. It seems he forget to check that the driveway was actually clear before turning.
Today's effort = Tomorrows reward.
2010 Oppy C6

kb

Postby kb » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:28 am

Oxford wrote: If you cannot complete it, do not commence it. This goes for turns, intersections, lots of places.
We live just north of Blackburn railway crossing. There's space for maybe 2 cars to wait for a right hand turn into south parade. It astounds me that every time I'm passing that way, there'll be cars queuing across the tracks. Complete failure to look ahead the slightest...

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:33 am

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-08-03/q ... ke/5644096" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A Queensland police officer who allegedly drove a car at a teenage boy on a pocket motorbike has been stood down.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:33 pm

Also from yesterday. How to cut corners like a pro. Because you can always see around the corner of an intersection at the top of a hill. He quickly accelerated up behind me as I was slowing for the red light and yelled something out the window as he was turning off but the thing I find amusing is that people still act like complete tools despite their car having company logos and phone numbers plastered all over it.

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:07 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:Also from yesterday. How to cut corners like a pro. Because you can always see around the corner of an intersection at the top of a hill. He quickly accelerated up behind me as I was slowing for the red light and yelled something out the window as he was turning off but the thing I find amusing is that people still act like complete tools despite their car having company logos and phone numbers plastered all over it.

Their employers rarely find it so amusing ;-)

London Boy

Postby London Boy » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:46 pm

duncanm wrote:
Bentnose wrote:Riding home on Thursday in the rain had a Commodore fail to give way at a give way sign while I was doing 45kph, would have been just ok except he immediately slammed on the anchors to pull into his driveway, I emergency braked while letting out a loud expletive and the bloke wound down his window and told me to "f off mate" obviously with more letters after the f, nice.
once the red mist has cleared, this is a perfect candidate for dropping a letter in his postbox.

<Mod says, 1 sentence removed, inappropriate suggestion>
Is it inappropriate to suggest, once he's inside, to remove his two rear valve cores?

kenwstr

Postby kenwstr » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:46 pm

malnar wrote:Soccer mom does no look lefty in car park.

Hmm, as far as I know road rules only apply to public roads.

Ken

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:08 am

I still can't see why cyclists have to ride in the traffic lanes when there is a perfectly wide available bike lane on the road :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

jules21

Postby jules21 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:07 am

kenwstr wrote:Hmm, as far as I know road rules only apply to public roads.
public access roads (road related areas) - car parks definitely included.

archetuthus

Postby archetuthus » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:52 am

Had a great one this morning. Too dark for my camera to be of any use. its 10 to 6 in the morning and i've just left the house. So im riding down a street with traffic calming islands in the middle so riding primary as not enough room to pass safely. A Ute speeds up behind me and flashes his high beams. I put my right hand out and indicate that there is not enough room. I can hear him yelling loudly but unable to make out what he's saying. I get to the stop line with him still yelling at me. "Move to the Side ya dhead" I pull into the middle when safe and then move way to the left of the traffic island so he can just get in front, because i dont want this maniac behind me. Yells again and i just yell back "sorry mate not enough room for you to pass I'm just trying to get to work safely." Off he speeds. funnily enough i caught him at the red light and tapped on his window, "was it worth all the yelling and screaming?" laughed and waved when the light went green.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:07 am

archetuthus wrote:...

funnily enough i caught him at the red light and tapped on his window, "was it worth all the yelling and screaming?" laughed and waved when the light went green.
Gold. :)

jules21

Postby jules21 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:07 am

archetuthus wrote:Had a great one this morning. Too dark for my camera to be of any use. its 10 to 6 in the morning and i've just left the house. So im riding down a street with traffic calming islands in the middle so riding primary as not enough room to pass safely. A Ute speeds up behind me and flashes his high beams. I put my right hand out and indicate that there is not enough room. I can hear him yelling loudly but unable to make out what he's saying. I get to the stop line with him still yelling at me. "Move to the Side ya dhead" I pull into the middle when safe and then move way to the left of the traffic island so he can just get in front, because i dont want this maniac behind me. Yells again and i just yell back "sorry mate not enough room for you to pass I'm just trying to get to work safely." Off he speeds. funnily enough i caught him at the red light and tapped on his window, "was it worth all the yelling and screaming?" laughed and waved when the light went green.
it's not about being delayed, it's about being outraged by the lack of respect given to their superior mode of transport.

Jangari

Postby Jangari » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:56 am

Camera ran out of juice this morning, so no evidence, but:

Riding into Sydney CBD along Elizabeth St, just north of Eddy Ave., using the bus lane. Hammering it on the fixie at about 40kph. A pedestrian, around 40m in front of me hails a taxi, who, despite being in the third lane along, decides to take the fare and swerve across two lanes to the curb (at what looked like a 45º angle). I frantically slam my front brake on and do what I can in the less than 4 seconds, minus my reaction time, that it'll take for me to reach him at that speed. Luckily, the next lane is empty (as far as I remember from my carefully honed sense of situational awareness) so while I can't stop in time, I can swerve around him. I try to slap his bonnet or wing mirror as I pass, but I'm still travelling too fast and I miss. I resort to yelling expletives and flailing my limbs around in indignation as a poor substitute for letting him know how I felt about the situation.

Pretty sure he was just behind me for the next three sets of lights, but didn't think to memorise his number plate in the mayhem, so I can't really yell more abuse at the poor fella in case it wasn't him (or more accurately ask him nicely to remember to check the lanes he is crossing in future).

Just makes you think that no matter how safe, visible, and cautious you are on the roads, there'll always be people who do dumb stuff like this. If I was another 10m further along, we'd have definitely come into contact at a rather high speed.