Moron Motorists #3

jules21

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby jules21 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:17 pm

some real corkers appearing in here, which is not good.

i can't decide whether to get excited about this or not?

elantra

Postby elantra » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:12 pm

InTheWoods wrote:Audi SUV fails to give way to cyclist behind me (can't believe he couldn't see him due to lane positioning and long sleeve fluoro jersey), then honks horn at me on the way past.

Note commentary from pedestrians at the end ;)

Edit: Got to say, ever since this video things have been good and there's been lots of really good motorist behaviour on the road, shame about my fellow cyclists :roll: There, I've done it, tomorrow a bus is going to get me.

Just a small thread hijack here mate, do you know that you don't have to go up that steepish hill ?

Where the other cyclist went goes up to the dog park, easy flat path beside dog park links up again with Davies road and is worth considering, quite popular with cyclists

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:51 pm

elantra wrote:Just a small thread hijack here mate, do you know that you don't have to go up that steepish hill ?

Where the other cyclist went goes up to the dog park, easy flat path beside dog park links up again with Davies road and is worth considering, quite popular with cyclists
So that's why I hardly ever see anybody on that bit! :) Thanks for the tip.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:34 pm

jules21 wrote:some real corkers appearing in here, which is not good.

i can't decide whether to get excited about this or not?
What a great thread this is.
Jules21, a nice bit of filum, I don't know that it was bad either, but what a nice place to go for a ride. :D Oh that truck, bit close, but just ignore him I reckon.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:04 pm

Some very very piss poor driving out there on the roads today. Like this P plater that almost took out a cyclist at Roma Street.

Or this thick head.

Riddley

Postby Riddley » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:11 pm

il padrone wrote:
Rhubarb wrote:Having held out for so long, here's my first contribution to this thread:

I reported it to the police and he was issued a formal warning.
He was sooo jealous of you because your Mango is worth more than his car (clapped out Mitzu) :mrgreen: :lol: :lol:
http://instagram.com/p/WLAIqSSBLN/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Biffidus

Postby Biffidus » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:23 am

Kev365428 wrote:This one scared the bejesus outa me. There is a language warning in this, but it's only one word and kinda muffled. Sorry.
I had this happen to me at a single lane roundabout near my work. The driver did not look around their A-pillar so didn't see me until I was almost under their wheels but they did stop quickly. I managed to turn and stop with the help of their driver side door which got a nasty scratch from my bar ends and I think the driver might have spilled half their coffee into their lap.

Oops. Maybe they'll look next time. That roundabout has since been widened into two lanes and is much safer.

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:48 pm

Almost left hooked at a roundabout commuting on Thursday arvo. Sigh.
Last edited by Mulger bill on Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Embed fixed
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

KenGS

Postby KenGS » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:55 pm

Boognoss wrote:[Youtube]http://youtu.be/EWRDDvwGHr8[/youtube]

Overtaking on double lines and then merging before clearing you. Book him Danno.
--Ken
Helmets! Bells! Rego!

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:09 pm

KenGS wrote:
Boognoss wrote:[Youtube]http://youtu.be/EWRDDvwGHr8[/youtube]

Overtaking on double lines and then merging before clearing you. Book him Danno.
Sadly I didn't capture the rego with bar and chest mounted Gopros. Might go back to bar and helmet mounted. Much better footage from helmet but annoyingly heavy and requires the helmet to be overly tightly adjusted.

Sent from my iSomethingorother using Tapatalk HD
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:22 pm

I know the intersection. The vicinity is a bit of a moron magnet.

KenGS

Postby KenGS » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:26 pm

I don't normally post examples here but I was just gobsmacked by this. Quite a SMIDSY
--Ken
Helmets! Bells! Rego!

PB12IN

Postby PB12IN » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:31 pm

"it just jumped out infront of me"

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:33 pm

Not again. How many times do I have to keep telling people not to say oh no oh no oh no.......

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:34 pm

PB12IN wrote:"it just jumped out infront of me"

ROFL
2012 Oppy A4

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:07 pm

An update on this incident ...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqcmrTKHTJQ&hd=1[/youtube]

I had a rather interesting phone discussion with the Officer in Charge - Traffic at West Metropolitan, WA Police (as the OIC learnt, I don't respect his uniform when he wants to be a prat and I will share my thoughts wthout constraint :oops: ) and so I shared my follow-up views with the WA Commissioner of Police. Well to my shock, I received a phone call from the WA Police at nearly 10:00 PM (guess I deserved that one :)) last night and was advised the driver of the vehicle has been issued with a TIN. So I guess dummy spitting was worth it after all. Hopefully this driver slows down and looks next time.

The funny thing about it all is I don't feel any satisfaction with the outcome. I am really over having to report such issues.

Andrew

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:15 pm

Aushiker wrote:
The funny thing about it all is I don't feel any satisfaction with the outcome. I am really over having to report such issues.

Andrew

Please don't lose the fire in your belly.
2012 Oppy A4

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:14 pm

InTheWoods wrote:Audi SUV fails to give way to cyclist behind me (can't believe he couldn't see him due to lane positioning and long sleeve fluoro jersey), then honks horn at me on the way past.

Note commentary from pedestrians at the end ;)

Edit: Got to say, ever since this video things have been good and there's been lots of really good motorist behaviour on the road, shame about my fellow cyclists :roll: There, I've done it, tomorrow a bus is going to get me.

Deliberate, much? :roll:

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:17 pm

Aushiker wrote:The funny thing about it all is I don't feel any satisfaction with the outcome. I am really over having to report such issues.

Andrew
Good work nonetheless. People used to get the showtimes about having to grant disabled access and provide smoke-free workplaces. Now it's just routine. It's a PITA having to get "up" people to do the right thing, but change will come if we persevere.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:43 pm

trailgumby wrote: change will come if we persevere.
+lots.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:24 pm

InTheWoods wrote:Audi SUV fails to give way to cyclist behind me
Without sound, it's incredibly hard to figure out what the problem is. wife and I just watched it and it just looks like another commute.

Worth a thought when considering the traffic cam stuff - does this really tell the story you think it does? There are tons of complaints about poor Police response to video, but sometimes that video isn't really telling the world "hey, that boofhead is about to kill me!"
Definitely there is a lot that do, but just worth a thought.

It certainly doesn't occur to the Audi driver that there are truckloads of traffic calming on that street because the RTA doesn't trust the cars at the speeds he expects to go :idea: :idea: :roll:

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:34 pm

Xplora wrote:
InTheWoods wrote:Audi SUV fails to give way to cyclist behind me
Without sound, it's incredibly hard to figure out what the problem is. wife and I just watched it and it just looks like another commute.
You need to turn on your sound ???
Xplora wrote:Worth a thought when considering the traffic cam stuff - does this really tell the story you think it does? There are tons of complaints about poor Police response to video, but sometimes that video isn't really telling the world "hey, that boofhead is about to kill me!"
0:05 - Audi pulls out from behind Give Way sign in front of following cyclist. Eventually stops after cyclist yells out.
0:27 - Audi accelerates out of traffic chicane past InTheWoods, blaring their horn for no reason at all
0:43 - Supporting comment from pedestrian "You gave as good as you got mate" :mrgreen:

I count two clear traffic offences.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:11 am

Boognoss wrote:Almost left hooked at a roundabout commuting on Thursday arvo. Sigh.
Who reckons the use of the horn in situations like this by MGIF nimrods is their way of apologising?

*tumbleweeds*
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:42 am

Kev365428 wrote:
DavidS wrote:
Kev365428 wrote:Nah, I think it was an honest mistake. Didn't get his plate.

I did refrain from really flying off the handle as he had a 5-6 y.o. girl in the car.
No need to frighten the younger generation into thinking we are all cranky, scary cyclists.

Kev.
I gotta say I disagree with this.

I agree you don't need to fly off the handle. However, the driver clearly was not paying enough attention and if this is the cavalier way he drives he should not have a licence and certainly should not be allowed to ferry children around. Imagine if you had not anticipated his actions and had been injured or worse, that could mean a child without a parent, a spouse now a widow or widower, a family with a permanently injured member. I'm sorry, but you don't get to make mistakes like that, honest or not, when you are in control of a couple of tonnes of motor vehicle. It is completely unacceptable to claim you did not see another vehicle, you need to concentrate enough so you do see other vehicles.

DS
Tell me - what's it like to be perfect?

As you were not there, and did not see the drivers reaction when he realised his mistake, I don't think you are in any position to question my comments on the matter.

Kev.
Wow, the driver was shocked that they just about wiped someone out. Well in that case they can be excused I suppose. In fact, if any driver kills someone, but is shocked at the effect that not paying attention has, then I suppose we should let them off.

I never claimed to be perfect (nice straw man though), and I'm not. However, that incident is a case of someone not paying attention. The potential of this sort of incident is someone ends up dead or severely injured. Driving is too dangerous to just accept that mistakes like this are acceptable. In any case, it is not just a mistake. If the driver had been paying attention, like they should be, then the incident would not have happened. I've seen way too many near misses on the roads and a few accidents that were caused by a lack of concentration "mistake".

I continue to disagree with your position and I continue to hold the view that mistakes caused by a lack of concentration and a lack of taking due care while in control of a vehicle which probably weighs at least 1.5 tonnes is unacceptable. As I said, you don't need to fly off the handle, but the driver does need to be told in no uncertain terms that they should raise the standard of their driving.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:34 pm

Got right hooked today :(

Fair queue at a roundabout, I'm pole in the right lane waiting for a gap to turn when this Gixxer filters his way to the head of the left lane. Get the gap and roll away and this moto hero hits the indicator and flicks it over right in front of me. Gave me a bit of a jolt as the previous ~55" of the ride had been a dream-path and road, everybody was playing nice and enjoying themselves.

He then went on to blast away from a level xing before the booms were more'n half way up AND dived from the right lane to turn left at the next set of lights. If only these leather louts could be made to pay road tax and display rego plates. Oh, wait... :roll:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011