Moron Motorists #3

Ross

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Ross » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:28 pm

47-year-old man busted twice in 2 hours for drug driving (cannabis and methylamphetamine)

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/nation ... 501tu.html

skull

Postby skull » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:19 pm

https://www.thecourier.com.au/story/476 ... ced/?cs=62

professional driver, just doing professional driver things.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:50 pm

skull wrote:https://www.thecourier.com.au/story/476 ... ced/?cs=62

professional driver, just doing professional driver things.
Just great. the “I told you so” crowd will love that. “If you have to slow down to 40, there will be carnage” and lo, it was done.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:22 pm

More the instructor then the driver that was the moron on this one, and he apparently knows the rules :roll:

You can see as they approach they look to change lanes (good) but then runs out of space as we are slowing for a red light, instead of slowing down and stopping behind me, they squeeze me (bad).

uart

Postby uart » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:53 pm

jaseyjase wrote:You can see as they approach they look to change lanes (good) but then runs out of space as we are slowing for a red light, instead of slowing down and stopping behind me, they squeeze me (bad).
Yeah, they start out moving half into the other lane to give you room, but then just blatantly move back across right on top of you! Very poor driving.

pj

Postby pj » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:01 pm

jaseyjase wrote:

More the instructor then the driver that was the moron on this one, and he apparently knows the rules :roll:

You can see as they approach they look to change lanes (good) but then runs out of space as we are slowing for a red light, instead of slowing down and stopping behind me, they squeeze me (bad).
He knows the rules he just doesn't follow them :p

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:14 am

This one is from back in February.

Copped a broken wrist and sprained the other one. I tore the door handle off the white car with my knicks on the way down. The insurance company was after me for the repairs for a while until they saw the video.

This one was yesterday just a bit further on from the other.

Not too sure what more I could have done here. I suppose that I could have found the need to suddenly indicate right. Whilst in Vic there is no MPD laws, there is still a requirement to leave sufficient clearance to avoid a collision. Given that indicating is a normal part of riding I think that an arm's length isn't too much to ask.

Cheers,
Cameron

adam0bmx0

Postby adam0bmx0 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:26 pm

ironhanglider wrote:This one is from back in February.
Do you see the irony in this video which led to a crash?

Sometimes you just need to take it on the chin and relax, you were up that car's rear the whole time, then went to pass in a gap that was never going to end well. :roll:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:52 pm

front -
rear

mgnovenie

Postby mgnovenie » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:03 pm

jasonc wrote:rear
That driver already has a broken side mirror!

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:18 pm

mgnovenie wrote: That driver already has a broken side mirror!
Yes. I wonder if they hit another cyclist forcing them to move over....

skull

Postby skull » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:41 pm

jasonc wrote:
mgnovenie wrote: That driver already has a broken side mirror!
Yes. I wonder if they hit another cyclist forcing them to move over....
to give them credit, they indicated when half pushing into the right lane.

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:04 pm

adam0bmx0 wrote:
ironhanglider wrote:This one is from back in February.
Do you see the irony in this video which led to a crash?

Sometimes you just need to take it on the chin and relax, you were up that car's rear the whole time, then went to pass in a gap that was never going to end well. :roll:
Actually I did take it on the chin, it bled dramatically. :)

What you are missing is that the car had no apparent reason to leave the lane she was travelling in. She was approaching a line of cars that had banked up from the traffic lights ahead. (Like they do every day at that time).

I can only speculate as to the reasons why. But I can see only two.
1. She was planning on driving up the wrong side of the road to turn right from the wrong side of the roundabout.
2. A deliberate act to prevent me overtaking.

And yes I was cranky with the MGIF pass at the beginning, particularly since she was always going to be a couple of light cycles behind at Springvale Road due to the usual congestion.

Cheers,

Cameron

adam0bmx0

Postby adam0bmx0 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:22 pm

Ah ok, I thought she was passing parked cars on the left, forcing them to take to the centre of the road.

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:50 pm

Oops sorry, I can see how you drew that conclusion.

Another version of that video has a better explanation of the circumstances.

Cheers,

Cameron

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:00 pm

ironhanglider wrote:Oops sorry, I can see how you drew that conclusion.

Another version of that video has a better explanation of the circumstances.

Cheers,

Cameron
You were still too close and that pass wasn't a good decision. Ride defensively for self preservation.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:21 pm

adam0bmx0 wrote:Ah ok, I thought she was passing parked cars on the left, forcing them to take to the centre of the road.
I hadn't realised either that the cars weren't parked. I've gone back and watched the video again and seeing that the cars are queued for the intersection its making that incident look deliberate on her part

That lady had been a pain all the way, overtakes in a situation where she is going to block the cyclists down a bunch of streets where the cyclist could of ridden thru without being blocked by oncoming traffic. Looked a bit dodgy with the cyclist that came towards her (not 100% sure on that one) and then tried to do something dodgy which knocked the cyclist off. And to top it off got her insurance company to pester the cyclist for something that was her fault.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:45 pm

There'll be a lot more of these to come. Strange why she wasn't disqualified from driving.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-09-06/t ... h/10210338

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:01 pm

Hi mykesbytes,

It was not well played all round. I could have been a bit more tranquil as biker jk suggested, and the video would simply have been of a MM being a MM.

As for the rest ... another plausible explanation is that she is totally self absorbed and doesn't have any concept of the effects of her actions on others. Insurance companies do what insurance companies do. I didn't confirm it, but I think the Insurance company that contacted me was for the Renault that I hit. I never saw the police report (it would take an FOI request to do that) but if it was not completely determined (he said - she said) then I understand them at least trying it on.

Oddly enough I haven't seen the car again on this road, even though she had a high school student passenger, so I presume it was the school run for her. I keep fairly regular times, since I can't leave until my kids are on their way to school so you'd think that I'd interact with the same people on a regular basis.

Cheers,

Cameron
Last edited by ironhanglider on Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:27 pm

biker jk wrote:There'll be a lot more of these to come. Strange why she wasn't disqualified from driving.

I really dislike sloppy journalism. There is an automatic disqualification for of 3 years unless the Court orders a lesser period of at least 12 months - Road Transport Act s 205(2), so the absence of a decision means she gets the max 3 years. The period of disqualification will be extended by any prison term

Howzat

Postby Howzat » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:31 am

biker jk wrote:There'll be a lot more of these to come. Strange why she wasn't disqualified from driving.

I'd like to see the person who sent the texts to the driver held responsible as well.

Cycleops70

Postby Cycleops70 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:44 pm

Howzat wrote:I'd like to see the person who sent the texts to the driver held responsible as well.
They may not have known they were driving.
Personally, I've stopped responding to people if I discover they are driving, or hang up on them in they are not using hands free.
But I'm not sure I'd hold the other person accountable for the actions of the driver.

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:31 pm

find_bruce wrote:

I really dislike sloppy journalism. There is an automatic disqualification for of 3 years unless the Court orders a lesser period of at least 12 months - Road Transport Act s 205(2), so the absence of a decision means she gets the max 3 years. The period of disqualification will be extended by any prison term
Are you sure? You quoted NSW legislation, but this case is in WA. And this story https://www.news.com.au/national/wester ... c05536de46 has a bit more detail:
news.com.au wrote: Prosecutor Ben Stanwix flagged the State would be asking for an immediate jail term. he also asked for McGrath's licence to be revoked as part of her bail conditions, saying it would be "inappropriate" for her to be "at liberty to drive".

Judge Scott said he did not think it was necessary to ban her from driving before she is sentenced on October 18.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:04 pm

AdelaidePeter wrote:Are you sure? You quoted NSW legislation, but this case is in WA. And this story https://www.news.com.au/national/wester ... c05536de46 has a bit more detail:
Yep, you are right & I was wrong - don't know why I thought it was NSW, but WA laws are different in many respects, including this.

Howzat

Postby Howzat » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:38 pm

Cycleops70 wrote: They may not have known they were driving.
Check the story - he was giving her instructions to turn around, she mentions she's on the freeway etc.