Moron Motorists #3

jules21

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby jules21 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:06 pm

fat and old wrote:Morons. Check. Motorists. Check.
'It's just about killed my marriage': CityLink fines taking a toll on drivers
Should have used a bicycle? Check :lol: :lol: :lol:

Or just don't use the toll raod, you idiots.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/its-j ... xdqae.html
it's not that simple, unfortunately. my step-son is paying off $10k in CityLink fines after lending his car to his deadbeat dad.

you would think surely that someone would be able to say "obviously this is the dad's responsibility" but no - they are holding his son, the registered vehicle operator - responsible. clearly he bears some blame for not ensuring his dad was doing the right thing, but who would expect that?

the problem is that CityLink is set up very carefully to ensure they don't get short-changed and everyone else has to bend in accordance. there are fairer ways to sort this stuff out but CityLink don't care.

cp123

Postby cp123 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:05 pm

am50em wrote:
malnar wrote:Walking home from work in trousers & black winter coat. It's dark. Suburban 50k zone.
That will hopefully stop her giving unsolicited advice to pedestrians.
I do find that pedestrian in dark clothes are very hard to see while driving especially during winter.
Some reflective tabs would help.
I have thought about getting a Proviz jacket for my wife who walks home from the station.

does she carry a backpack? you can possibly just stick some reflective bits on it around the straps - unless of course you want a proviz top. :P

am50em

Postby am50em » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:32 pm

cp123 wrote:does she carry a backpack? you can possibly just stick some reflective bits on it around the straps - unless of course you want a proviz top. :P
That's a good idea.
But I wouldn't mind a Proviz top :lol:

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby antigee » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:39 pm

"does she carry a backpack?" hump brand back pack cover excellent(+) rear visibility but zero for front crossing roads / entrances

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:00 pm

am50em wrote:
cp123 wrote:does she carry a backpack? you can possibly just stick some reflective bits on it around the straps - unless of course you want a proviz top. :P
That's a good idea.
I once saw a woman on a dark bit of shared path that I ride on with her mobile phone "torch" on. She wasn't using it to see her way, just holding it so it pointed downward while she walked. It made her very easy to see even though she was dressed in dark clothes on a very dark bit of path.

redsonic

Postby redsonic » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:45 pm

RobertL wrote: I once saw a woman on a dark bit of shared path that I ride on with her mobile phone "torch" on. She wasn't using it to see her way, just holding it so it pointed downward while she walked. It made her very easy to see even though she was dressed in dark clothes on a very dark bit of path.
Well that makes a change. A mobile phone improving a ped's safety!

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:31 am

redsonic wrote:
RobertL wrote: I once saw a woman on a dark bit of shared path that I ride on with her mobile phone "torch" on. She wasn't using it to see her way, just holding it so it pointed downward while she walked. It made her very easy to see even though she was dressed in dark clothes on a very dark bit of path.
Well that makes a change. A mobile phone improving a ped's safety!
I LOL'd at that.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:55 pm

I heard some interesting statistics this morning. In NSW last financial year, 86,000 motorists were caught driving unregistered vehicles while 23,000 were caught driving without being authorised.

piledhigher

Postby piledhigher » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:54 pm

Make the roads safer for drunk drivers, ban scooters and skateboards...

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensl ... xjzh2.html

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:06 pm

They are toys. They are already banned from roads that have a centre line (or are divided)

Biffidus

Postby Biffidus » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:37 pm

RobertL wrote:I once saw a woman on a dark bit of shared path that I ride on with her mobile phone "torch" on. She wasn't using it to see her way, just holding it so it pointed downward while she walked. It made her very easy to see even though she was dressed in dark clothes on a very dark bit of path.
I've done this before, mainly because you can't see where you're going on a dark path while reading a phone screen - even on minimum brightness.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:18 pm

The last couple of days have been driving me crazy: so many cars deciding the bike lane is a car park. I had a taxi do it to me twice this evening on Beach Rd.

So selfish, drives me batty.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

Scott No Mates

Postby Scott No Mates » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:39 pm

biker jk wrote:I heard some interesting statistics this morning. In NSW last financial year, 86,000 motorists were caught driving unregistered vehicles while 23,000 were caught driving without being authorised.
And they say bikes need to be licensed.
I really should take up cycling!

murbul

Postby murbul » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:26 am

This moron seemed even closer at the time compared to what the video shows. It's the first time I've really 'felt' a close pass.

Too bad my cam isn't great at night and couldn't get a clear capture of the plate.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:06 am

Murbul - get in the habit of yelling out the rego (twice) . The mic will pick it up

Trevtassie

Postby Trevtassie » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:05 am

Deliberate as hell Murbul. Need the "Scratchy Stick" TM. a flag poking out the side with an extra 6" past the flag with a tungsten carbide tip....

Trevtassie

Postby Trevtassie » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:05 am

duplicate

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:48 pm

Got passed by a taxi who decided to go on the wrong side of a traffic calming island to get around me on Ashgrove Avenue ....

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:54 pm

InTheWoods wrote:Got passed by a taxi who decided to go on the wrong side of a traffic calming island to get around me on Ashgrove Avenue ....
you have 2 cameras. i'm sure we'll see the footage soon

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:33 pm

murbul wrote:This moron seemed even closer at the time compared to what the video shows. It's the first time I've really 'felt' a close pass.

Too bad my cam isn't great at night and couldn't get a clear capture of the plate.
I *always* read the number.

That was a shocker. Assuming the lane is a metre, that looked about half.

murbul

Postby murbul » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:40 pm

trailgumby wrote: I *always* read the number.
I usually try to, but it really caught me off guard and rattled me and by the time my brain rebooted it was too far away to read.

This is the best still I could get: http://i.imgur.com/1LX7VRy.png

I think I've found a match on the rego lookup but it's by guessing the first and last letters, so probably wouldn't be enough to act on.

Scott No Mates

Postby Scott No Mates » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:14 pm

Had one decide that the separated bike lane at Lane Cove was the easiest way to access their driveway (nothing obvious other than the kerb, lane markings and green concrete).

+1.was incredulous.
I really should take up cycling!

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:32 pm

murbul wrote:
trailgumby wrote: I *always* read the number.
I usually try to, but it really caught me off guard and rattled me and by the time my brain rebooted it was too far away to read.
Yeah, fair enough. Sounded like it gave you a major fright.
murbul wrote:This is the best still I could get: http://i.imgur.com/1LX7VRy.png

I think I've found a match on the rego lookup but it's by guessing the first and last letters, so probably wouldn't be enough to act on.
I think you're probably right. Defence lawyer would have no trouble raising reasonable doubt. :( Bugger.

cp123

Postby cp123 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:32 am

am50em wrote:
That's a good idea.

I have reflective bits on front and side and back straps of my backpack AND a proviz vest. :D I seriously need to find someone to take a photo of me with my night time gear on as I probably look like the ghost of cyclists past or something.

I just bought a $4 tradie yellow vest and chopped all the silver bits out of it and wound them around the chest and waist straps on each side of my backpack - ie right boob and left boob and left bum and right bum and at the shoulder area so that nobody at night (unless they're driving without their lights on) should have the excuse to say SMIDSY or where I am, SMIDGAF.... :P

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:54 am

I just bought a $4 tradie yellow vest and chopped all the silver bits out of it
Did that with an older pair of "onsite" workpants. Use the reflective tape tape as ankle straps at night :) .