Moron Motorists #3

Ross

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Ross » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:11 pm

Two cars drag racing on public street, one guy with the drug Ice in his system and one car crashes killing both occupants

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia ... ocid=ientp

London Boy

Postby London Boy » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:32 pm

BianchiCam wrote:And here are the 'reasons I was given as to why this was not considered an infringable offence

Shadow of vehicle is sufficiently over dotted line indicating the driver has taken adequate precautions (even with road markings showing otherwise)
Does not meet 'sufficiency of evidence'
Etc.
Hmmm. Maybe we need a device that sprays a precisely measured quantity of paint stripper along the side of any vehicle passing within a metre?

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:31 am

London Boy wrote:
BianchiCam wrote:And here are the 'reasons I was given as to why this was not considered an infringable offence

Shadow of vehicle is sufficiently over dotted line indicating the driver has taken adequate precautions (even with road markings showing otherwise)
Etc.
Hmmm. Maybe we need a device that sprays a precisely measured quantity of paint stripper along the side of any vehicle passing within a metre?

One of those tail lights with the lasers that draw the lines on the road?

duncanm

Postby duncanm » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:08 am

London Boy wrote:

Etc.
good old fibreglass flag pole would do the trick.

redsonic

Postby redsonic » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:39 am

duncanm wrote:

Not on that side of the bike 8)

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:53 am

Yep, a USA set up. But not real handy it traffic.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:07 pm

London Boy wrote:

Etc.
I was thinking that one of those jerseys with a Police colour theme and "POLITE" written on it might be more effective. But given the attitude of many police towards cyclists, anyone wearing one of those would probably be booked for anything the police can legally dream up.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:23 pm

Cyclophiliac wrote:
London Boy wrote:

Etc.
I was thinking that one of those jerseys with a Police colour theme and "POLITE" written on it might be more effective. But given the attitude of many police towards cyclists, anyone wearing one of those would probably be booked for anything the police can legally dream up.
There's the neighborhood watch one
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

kenwstr

Postby kenwstr » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:52 pm

duncanm wrote:
London Boy wrote:

Etc.

Read the regulation, the passing vehicle would be required to maintain the prescribed distance from the flag pole. :D

Ken

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:20 pm

kenwstr wrote: Read the regulation, the passing vehicle would be required to maintain the prescribed distance from the flag pole. :D
Ken
No this is incorrect please see the actual rule in 144(3)(b)
Example of what is part of a bicycle for paragraph (b)—
a basket or pannier bags attached to the bicycle
Example of what is not part of a bicycle for paragraph (b)—
a flag or stick, whether or not flexible, attached to the bicycle,
that projects sideways from the bicycle

kenwstr

Postby kenwstr » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:31 pm

InTheWoods wrote:
kenwstr wrote: Read the regulation, the passing vehicle would be required to maintain the prescribed distance from the flag pole. :D
Ken
No this is incorrect please see the actual rule in 144(3)(b)
Example of what is part of a bicycle for paragraph (b)—
a basket or pannier bags attached to the bicycle
Example of what is not part of a bicycle for paragraph (b)—
a flag or stick, whether or not flexible, attached to the bicycle,
that projects sideways from the bicycle
Oh darn, I thought I had read anything attached to the bike or rider but that was a while ago.
How about a long narrow fishing rod holder then.... :wink:

Ross

Postby Ross » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:35 am

Cyclophiliac wrote:
London Boy wrote:

Etc.
High-visibility vest for cyclists available over the internet is too close to ours, police say

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/ ... 1800ba0c37

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Polite-Waist ... Sw44BYbATD

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:05 am

“A member of the public could easily mistake this clothing for that of a police officer.”
And then change their mind about doing a punishment pass
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:41 pm

Not a good start my day today. At the bus stop waiting for my bus and watching the road when I witnessed a young person on a bicycle I assume riding for school crossing Hampton Road, Fremantle when a driver turning right from Alma Street into Hampton Road hit them. This was at 7:30 AM.

I still see the young person flying into the air .. horrible. From what I say the driver failed to give way despite coming from Alma Street which has a stop sign. It looks like they where looking left to see if it was clear and not checking to their right as well. At least stopped at scene.

Another cyclist was just in front of the young person and they stopped and attended as did a person from a nearby house so I didn't go across, but will notify the Police so that they can get my witness statement if required.

The young person did not appear seriously injured thank god but I suspect pretty shaken up.

Ross

Postby Ross » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:11 pm

Morons caught out with introduction of 40km/h school zones in Canberra (my highlighting and word substitution) :evil:
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-new ... 0vxac.html
One driver was clocked at almost double the limit and another busted while overtaking another car in 2018's first week with 40km/h school zones, police say.

ACT Policing issued 58 infringements to motorists for speeding in school zones last week.

"The highest speed detected last week was 76km/h in a 40km/h school zone outside Radford College, Bruce. This offence carries a $799.00 fine and [incurred] four [demerit] points," it said in a statement.

"Another driver was detected travelling at 61km/h on the incorrect side of the road while overtaking a vehicle travelling at the correct speed of 40km/h, outside St John Vianney's Primary School on Namatjira Drive, Waramanga. This offence carries a $444 fine and three [demerit] points." Licence should be cancelled on the spot, never to be re-issued and at least a $1000 fine

Officer in Charge of Traffic Operations, Station Sergeant Marcus Boorman said there was no excuse for speeding.

"Children are one of our most vulnerable road users, often behaving in ways we cannot anticipate," he said.

"The 40km/h speed limit provides motorists extra time to stop in unexpected situations, such as children running out between cars and onto our roads."

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:53 pm

I just don't get it. How can someone mistakenly drive into the Bourke St Mall in Melbourne? It's blindingly obvious that it's a pedestrian mall.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/vict ... 4z08b.html

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:04 pm

mikesbytes wrote:
“A member of the public could easily mistake this clothing for that of a police officer.”
And then change their mind about doing a punishment pass
I remember reading a reference to some research somewhere that this vest led to more and worse punishment passes, not less. Speculation in the report was the rider was being punished for the attempted deception.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:05 pm

duncanm wrote:
kenwstr wrote:Image
Read the regulation, the passing vehicle would be required to maintain the prescribed distance from the flag pole. :D

Ken
Not in NSW. Specifically excluded.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:38 pm

Cyclophiliac wrote:I just don't get it. How can someone mistakenly drive into the Bourke St Mall in Melbourne? It's blindingly obvious that it's a pedestrian mall.

The same sort of morons who get caught by automated bollards. (See the videos). Which Melbourne probably needs to catch these morons.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:58 pm

Cyclophiliac wrote:I just don't get it. How can someone mistakenly drive into the Bourke St Mall in Melbourne? It's blindingly obvious that it's a pedestrian mall.

Thoglette wrote:The same sort of morons who get caught by automated bollards. (See the videos). Which Melbourne probably needs to catch these morons.
That would be the same morons who get caught out by the Montague St Bridge blocking their path - I mean it has been 9 whole days since the bridge was last hit.

caneye

Postby caneye » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:09 pm

Thoglette wrote:The same sort of morons who get caught by automated bollards. (See the videos). Which Melbourne probably needs to catch these morons.
that was a direct hit on the Cayenne .. and the pool of oil on the road after it reversed. awesome!
Last edited by find_bruce on Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fix quote attribution

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:30 am

http://www.news.com.au/national/victori ... faaade6cd4

The morons here aren't just those who contributed to this collision, but also those who continue to use the word "accident" for incidents like these.

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:31 am

(AT) caneye: can you please quote others' posts properly? In the post 2 posts above this one, you misquoted Thoglette so that it looks like you quoted me.
Last edited by Cyclophiliac on Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

hunch

Postby hunch » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:50 am

I did see a Polite vest last week out in the far west, where things are more battle to grim death on bikes, than the east. Maybe not much of a priority for the boys in blue....could imagine it might enrage a few passing bogans though! Might be a bit a task in court to prosecute unless there's a dyslexic angle...and all the cops always seem to have NSW Police on their gear too.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:27 am

Cyclophiliac wrote:(AT) caneye: can you please quote others' posts properly? In the post 2 posts above this one, you misquoted Thoglette so that it looks like you quoted me.
The nested quotes can get a bit tricky & people make mistakes. I have edited caneye's post to correct the attribution.