Moron Motorists #3

BianchiCam

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby BianchiCam » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:43 pm

Not sure if I had posted an update on this sorry.
Call from Beerwah station. Officer first said it looks well within the distance and asks me to send in a disc.
So I did.
A few weeks later another call telling me footage will not be accepted by Sunny Coast Police on advice from P Prosecutors.
So I email PP and ask, whats the go? There had been a recent case in Brisbane of a truck driver recieving an infringement that went to court and the video was admissible.
Oh, We dont care what other 'jurisdiction do.
Which seems to be a common theme on the SC and close passing subs.

The parting words from the officer tasked with it were, "These roads are not designed for two vehicles"
Which pretty much sums up the attitudes from police up here.

Vic wasnt so bad after all.
Pass was measured at approx 60cm tops.

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:37 am

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2018-10-1 ... y/10377772

Not applying for bail seems to be the only sane thing Elten Gevergizyan did. With a name like that, I imagine google search will not be kind for many years to come.
Go!Run!GAH!

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:52 am

Not cycling related, but......old mate pulled over half on nature strip half kerbside to have a look under his ute this morning. So he's entirely underneath it, longways, in the dark, at a pinch point with a central island on a major local road that carries heavy traffic including 4 bus routes and HGV's. Not even his hazards on. I hope he didn't get cleaned up.

uart

Postby uart » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:53 am

BianchiCam wrote: Oh, We dont care what other 'jurisdiction do.

The parting words from the officer tasked with it were, "These roads are not designed for two vehicles"
That road looks like it's probably more than 60 km/hr, so I'm assuming a1.5m passing limit is that correct. In that case the guy is well under half the limit (and probably about 1/3).

It seems as though they've just decided that this law is just too much of a bother for them and they're not going to police it. Bloody disgusting!

Trevtassie

Postby Trevtassie » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:34 pm

BianchiCam wrote:Not sure if I had posted an update on this sorry.
Call from Beerwah station. Officer first said it looks well within the distance and asks me to send in a disc.
So I did.
A few weeks later another call telling me footage will not be accepted by Sunny Coast Police on advice from P Prosecutors.
So I email PP and ask, whats the go? There had been a recent case in Brisbane of a truck driver recieving an infringement that went to court and the video was admissible.

Vic wasnt so bad after all.
Pass was measured at approx 60cm tops.

It's a pity you can what just up the road from the police station until one comes out onto the footpath and close pass them. "oh sorry mate, the footpath isn't big enough for both of us"

What a bunch of a holes.

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby antigee » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:39 pm

maybe send your responses off to Mark Ryan and ask how the roll out of this program is going ?

good press release, fingers crossed - maybe bicyclenetwork could take up for you

(my money is on do the first one btw)

https://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/newsr ... 2aS9-bQ2iw

"......Queensland Police have developed a new program to assist police officers in the field gather evidence and enforce safe passing laws......

Queensland Police Minister Mark Ryan said that all road users would benefit.

“Awareness and education are vital for making Queensland’s roads safer for everybody, and this program will give the QPS the capacity to enforce more effectively,” Mr Ryan said.

“This is part of the QPS’ commitment to improving the knowledge and skills of their officers to ensure they act professionally and fairly, improving road safety for all road users.”

duncanm

Postby duncanm » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:20 pm

BianchiCam wrote: The parting words from the officer tasked with it were, "These roads are not designed for two vehicles"
Which is surely an admission that the car needed to cross the centre lines to safely pass.

As others have said - they just can't be arsed.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:58 pm

Highly controversial ... I'll just leave this here.

simurs4

Postby simurs4 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:20 pm

Ah yes the seemingly neverending patience of German drivers. I've witnessed people nearly flying through their windscreens trying to stop just so I could cross a zebra crossing or letting me sneak into a road from an adjacent bike lane and they usually do it with a smile on their face and a wave.
You don't get that constant feeling of resentment towards you like driving in Oz.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:46 pm

BianchiCam wrote:The parting words from the officer tasked with it were, "These roads are not designed for two vehicles"
While QLD seems to going back to the bad old days before Fitzgerald, you need to a) get it in writing and b) escalate it. Both to the Police Commissioner and the minister and then the press & opposition.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

human909

Postby human909 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:18 am

Thoglette wrote:
BianchiCam wrote:The parting words from the officer tasked with it were, "These roads are not designed for two vehicles"
While QLD seems to going back to the bad old days before Fitzgerald, you need to a) get it in writing and b) escalate it. Both to the Police Commissioner and the minister and then the press & opposition.
Wasn't it the police commissioner who even requested cyclists to report and escalate these time of reponses?

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:45 am

human909 wrote:
Thoglette wrote:
Wasn't it the police commissioner who even requested cyclists to report and escalate these time of reponses?
perhaps one could include a reference to the article where he says that when the escalation is submitted. Pretty sure any politicized bigwig totally forgets what they have said 4 or so weeks after their talking head experience
Go!Run!GAH!

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:18 am

trailgumby wrote:Highly controversial ... I'll just leave this here.
I got 30 seconds through and it goes for 10 minutes. Is there anything I should be looking for?

human909

Postby human909 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:00 pm

Cheesewheel wrote:perhaps one could include a reference to the article where he says that when the escalation is submitted. Pretty sure any politicized bigwig totally forgets what they have said 4 or so weeks after their talking head experience
Excellent idea.

But I totally forgot where I read that too.. I'll try my goggle foo later. Or maybe somebody else should. It was also a message along similar lines in one of the inquiry's....

EDIT:

Here is some google foo:
Bicycle Queensland chief executive Anne "says culture-wide change within the QPS won’t happen overnight.

“One of my concerns at the moment is the inconsistency across districts and stations in prioritising traffic infringement matters," she said.

“While I’m confident that we now have the support of the Police Commissioner and his senior commanders, it may take some time to filter down to the station level. As such, I remain on-call to assist anyone who needs a hand. My hope is that over the longer-term, this initiative will improve road safety more broadly, by reinforcing safe driving in all situations. We must make our roads safe for cyclists – the time to act is now.”

2nd EDIT:

It might have been this comment, refers to NSW not QLD though:

The NSW Police Force told news.com.au anyone who believes an offence has been committed should make a formal report.

Anyone who seeks a review is encouraged to refer matters to the relevant police area commander or police district commander.”

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:29 pm

AdelaidePeter wrote:
trailgumby wrote:Highly controversial ... I'll just leave this here.
I got 30 seconds through and it goes for 10 minutes. Is there anything I should be looking for?
The motorists were being nice to each other :lol:

pj

Postby pj » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:30 am

What's the problem with waiting for 5 seconds! :roll:

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:45 am

^ Overtaking across speed humps, too. A+ driving.

pj

Postby pj » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:06 am

P!N20 wrote:^ Overtaking across speed humps, too. A+ driving.
Yes extra bonus points for that!

uart

Postby uart » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:09 pm

pj wrote:
P!N20 wrote:^ Overtaking across speed humps, too. A+ driving.
Yes extra bonus points for that!
Yes, and double extra bonus point for him hitting the brakes to slow you immediately after overtaking you. :?

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:55 pm

pj wrote:What's the problem with waiting for 5 seconds! :roll:
Probably thought you needed to be punished for not crossing the road to ride on the bike path - you know the one where every business driveway is a dangerous uncontrolled intersection

pj

Postby pj » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:30 pm

find_bruce wrote:
Probably thought you needed to be punished for not crossing the road to ride on the bike path - you know the one where every business driveway is a dangerous uncontrolled intersection
:lol: yes there's a scrap metal place in this section and their customers are notorious for parking in the bike lane as you probably have experienced.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:48 pm

pj wrote:
find_bruce wrote:
:lol: yes there's a scrap metal place in this section and their customers are notorious for parking in the bike lane as you probably have experienced.
They get reported often for parking on the bike path, they seem to know how long they have before the brown bomber turns up.

I noticed that you were traveling faster than the white van in front of you, a pity that Mr I'm in a hurry wasn't stuck behind that van
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

PA

Postby PA » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:31 pm

Let them know about their free advertising. https://www.facebook.com/upkeepmaintain/
Mouse magnet

London Boy

Postby London Boy » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:21 am

BianchiCam wrote:Not sure if I had posted an update on this sorry.
So I did.
See R v Sitek [1988] 2 Qd R 284 for the definitive view. Video is admissible in Queensland as a matter of law.

And he doesn't care what other jurisdictions do? Does he not know that Sunny Coast is part of the Queensland jurisdiction and is subject in all cases to Queensland law?

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:50 am

BianchiCam wrote: ....
So why does it have two lanes then .... :roll: