Moron Motorists #3

AdelaidePeter

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby AdelaidePeter » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:03 pm

Riding south on Morphett Street, Adelaide, towards Hindley Street. Traffic merges from the left, where it has to cross the bicycle lane. I wasn't sure if the car was going to cut in front of me, so as a precaution I braked a little (it's downhill so there was no visual signal like me stopping pedalling). The car driver took that as a signal that they could cut in front of me (and get to the red light 20 metres away). I was forced to brake harder, though because I had already slowed a little there was no real danger.

But memo to driver: even though I've slowed to a speed where I won't die if you cut me off, you still have to give way!

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:02 pm

Scott_C wrote:
find_bruce wrote:"But aaarm innnna car"
Ironically, under the NSW road rules, it is illegal for the lights on a motor vehicle to dazzle a cyclist but not illegal for a cyclist's lights to dazzle a driver as Rule 219 does not apply to cyclists (as cyclists are excepted under Rule 214). Being innnna car is actually what makes his lights illegal.

Obviously, despite it not being illegal under the road rules, it isn't a good idea to have a light setup likely to dazzle drivers but unfortunately lights bright enough to see the road will have a brief issue when you go over a crest (the same as for properly setup vehicle headlights).
Interesting to know. Cheers.

Ross

Postby Ross » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:43 am

A 21-year-old ACT woman was charged and will face court today with fail to stop motor vehicle for police, use unregistered vehicle, use uninsured vehicle, unlicensed driver, number plate/registration not properly issued, negligent driving, and apprehension under warrant

https://policenews.act.gov.au/news/medi ... c-offences

lard

Postby lard » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:08 pm

Here's my moron motorist of the day....she had to have driven at least half a K down the bike trail across the golf course to get here on the gardiners creek shared trail. This pic was taken after we'd managed to get her to turn around and head back the way she came. She'd followed her GPS.....

duncan16v

Postby duncan16v » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:41 pm

What on earth is going on? Either they've let all the loonies out of the nuthouse or the shock-jocks have been having a rant.

This evening, on St George's Road in North Fitzroy, I saw a woman almost take out a cyclist. The cyclist was overtaking a bunch of slower people and had moved into the left lane. The driver accelerated hard then braked hard just before she hit the cyclist's rear wheel in a very deliberate move to frighten. The driver of the silver grey Mazda 3, had been driving aggressively up St George's Road earlier. I was amazed the cyclist didn't go over the bonnet

Yesterday was my turn with a loonie in a Commodore wagon that didn't like me overtaking and tried to push me off the road. We had words. I didn't get his rego.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:12 pm

Two riders down and one expensive BMC written off this morning on the normally quiet descent down Bradleys Head Road to Taronga Zoo wharf.

I don't have video of the actual collision but I do have capture of the group passing me gong the other way with lights ablaze, and then as I turn back down the hill you can see the Traffic Controller's ute side-on blocking the entire descending lane and two riders sprawled in the gutter. Ambulance was called as a precaution as one rider took a knock to the head. Very lucky there were no spinal injuries as one rider appears to have landed exactly in between two of the gutter-height concrete blocks protecting the kerb..

It appears the traffic controller executed a right turn across double centre lines on a blind corner to enter a nose-to-kerb parking space across the path of the descending peloton.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:18 pm

trailgumby wrote:It appears the traffic controller executed a right turn across double centre lines on a blind corner to enter a nose-to-kerb parking space across the path of the descending peloton.
Oh, SafeWork NSW should have a field day with that footage. As should Mr Plod.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:55 pm

A car driver managed to flip his car while attempting to overtake a fire truck that was on its way to an emergency callout and had its lights and sirens on :roll:
"Our crews had their lights and sirens on, and indicators on indicating they were turning right onto Flagstaff Road.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-08/d ... ck/9631370

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:52 pm

Red Rider wrote:A car driver managed to flip his car while attempting to overtake a fire truck that was on its way to an emergency callout and had its lights and sirens on :roll:
"Our crews had their lights and sirens on, and indicators on indicating they were turning right onto Flagstaff Road.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-08/d ... ck/9631370
SMIDSY
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:54 am

Remember this (& similar examples) every time someone suggests that high-vis should be mandatory
It doesn't get easier, you just get slower

TrikeTragic

Postby TrikeTragic » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:37 pm

lard wrote:
Here's my moron motorist of the day....she had to have driven at least half a K down the bike trail across the golf course to get here on the gardiners creek shared trail. This pic was taken after we'd managed to get her to turn around and head back the way she came. She'd followed her GPS.....
Is there a moron of the month award? I nominate.....^^^^
Alan
BentCyclist

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:41 pm

lard wrote:
...She'd followed her GPS.....
Did you point out that "cycling" can be turned off in most of these units?

Regardless, how the Fred did she not come to the conclusion somewhere in that 500ish metres that "Toto, I don't think we're on road any more"?
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

lard

Postby lard » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:47 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
lard wrote:
...She'd followed her GPS.....
Did you point out that "cycling" can be turned off in most of these units?

Regardless, how the Fred did she not come to the conclusion somewhere in that 500ish metres that "Toto, I don't think we're on road any more"?
Yup I think her grasp of both gps technology and common sense where pretty slim. I told her her GPS must be set to walking/bike mode, not sure she understood the difference. Gladly tho I did see her make it onto a real road a few minutes later.

pj

Postby pj » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:55 pm

Standard Sydney must get in front, at least they indicated

Last edited by pj on Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

pj

Postby pj » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:34 am

1m?

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:48 am

pj wrote:1m?

bonus moron points for not following the car in front's lead and giving you some space.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

solmanic
Location: The glorious hills of the Sunshine Coast hinterland

Postby solmanic » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:10 pm

I need to vent about this because it has us all ropeable here...
A young guy here in town was down in the ACT for a Mountainbiking competition the other week. On the trip back to Qld he and his dad were rear-ended by an 85 year old hippie and both his competition AND training bikes on the rear carrier were written off. The cops were called but because there was no injury and little damage to the actual vehicle they said there was nothing they could do. Despite thousands of dollars damage to the bikes they still didn't even breathalyse or swab the knucklehead. Whilst they were waiting for the cops to turn up he just sat in his van listening to music and said he didn't care about the damage. No insurance and no apology or even admission of what was clearly 100% his fault. Next step will be a pointless demand letter followed by an even more pointless small claims court order. I doubt whether selling his van would even cover the costs. The poor kid is 16 and a top guy doing an apprenticeship with our local bike mechanic (who is himself a local legend). A very generous bike shop down the coast was able to help out with a nice half-price replacement bike but he's still out of pocket $2500 and down a competition bike.

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:35 pm

https://wwos.nine.com.au/2018/04/06/15/ ... run-police

Being a moron is no disqualification for representing your country in sporting events apparently.
Go!Run!GAH!

duncanm

Postby duncanm » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:25 pm

solmanic wrote:I need to vent about this because it has us all ropeable here...
A young guy here in town was down in the ACT for a Mountainbiking competition the other week. On the trip back to Qld he and his dad were rear-ended by an 85 year old hippie and both his competition AND training bikes on the rear carrier were written off. The cops were called but because there was no injury and little damage to the actual vehicle they said there was nothing they could do. Despite thousands of dollars damage to the bikes they still didn't even breathalyse or swab the knucklehead. Whilst they were waiting for the cops to turn up he just sat in his van listening to music and said he didn't care about the damage. No insurance and no apology or even admission of what was clearly 100% his fault. Next step will be a pointless demand letter followed by an even more pointless small claims court order. I doubt whether selling his van would even cover the costs. The poor kid is 16 and a top guy doing an apprenticeship with our local bike mechanic (who is himself a local legend). A very generous bike shop down the coast was able to help out with a nice half-price replacement bike but he's still out of pocket $2500 and down a competition bike.
1/ Van idiot's third party property should cover it (if he's insured at all)
2/ Make a claim on comprehensive insurance. They usually cover personal property in the car (check your PDS). It may only be a trivial cover (typically $500 limit) - but any action that can get your insurance company involved in chasing the guilty party on your behalf is worth it. If there's car damage, make sure to claim on that, too, to make your own insurance company more likely to follow it up.

Some other points. Please note, I understand the frustration, but you need to realise the following:
* Its not the cops responsibility to do anything in this situation.
* In most circumstances its better not to admit liability on the spot... and really doesn't mean anything anyway

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:38 pm

Where Cotham Road meets High St today heading west to go home I noticed a car coming fast from Cotham Road on my left which failed to give way to me. She went through fast not braking at all despite a give way sign. I'm always on alert through there anyway so all good although my HR went up. I followed her down through the junction to Barkers Road and saw her indicate to turn right so watched what she'd do next. There were three cars in front of her waiting to turn and as I approached she suddenly pulled out left drove through the intersection then did a sharp right into a servo. :roll:
Last edited by Uncle Just on Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

solmanic
Location: The glorious hills of the Sunshine Coast hinterland

Postby solmanic » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:40 pm

duncanm wrote: 1/ Van idiot's third party property should cover it (if he's insured at all)
2/ Make a claim on comprehensive insurance. They usually cover personal property in the car (check your PDS). It may only be a trivial cover (typically $500 limit) - but any action that can get your insurance company involved in chasing the guilty party on your behalf is worth it. If there's car damage, make sure to claim on that, too, to make your own insurance company more likely to follow it up.

Some other points. Please note, I understand the frustration, but you need to realise the following:
* In most circumstances its better not to admit liability on the spot... and really doesn't mean anything anyway
1. Other party not insured - at all (except 3rd part personal of course, but like I said, no injuries).
2. Of course mate's insurer has been approached for a claim but denied it because the bikes "were outside the vehicle" (semantic pricks). No damage to the actual vehicle either so not willing to pursue the other party for anything.

Cops prepared an accident report confirming the other party's liability but apparently did nothing to check the either party's fitness to drive at the time. I thought this was mandatory when they attended a crash whatever the extent of the damage. The at fault driver reportedly said he didn't care so it's not just a matter of not admitting liability for insurance purposes - he was just straight up a complete dick.

skull

Postby skull » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:45 pm

solmanic wrote:I Next step will be a pointless demand letter followed by an even more pointless small claims court order. I doubt whether selling his van would even cover the costs. .
Well that is !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !!

I have to ask though, why the demand letter. Surely the best process is to claim on own insurance and let the insurance company chase the clown for the money

EDIT: ok read further, that is doubly !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! now
Last edited by skull on Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

duncanm

Postby duncanm » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:45 pm

solmanic wrote:
duncanm wrote: 1/ Van idiot's third party property should cover it (if he's insured at all)

1. Other party not insured - at all (except 3rd part personal of course, but like I said, no injuries).
2. Of course mate's insurer has been approached for a claim but denied it because the bikes "were outside the vehicle" (semantic pricks). No damage to the actual vehicle either so not willing to pursue the other party for anything.

Cops prepared an accident report confirming the other party's liability but apparently did nothing to check the either party's fitness to drive at the time. I thought this was mandatory when they attended a crash whatever the extent of the damage. The at fault driver reportedly said he didn't care so it's not just a matter of not admitting liability for insurance purposes - he was just straight up a complete dick.
yep - sounds like a complete dick. Not much you can do about that.

Sorry to hear of the circumstances.. what about bike insurance or home contents coverage?

pj

Postby pj » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:25 pm

Thanks muza

pj

Postby pj » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:29 pm

Wrong lane, no indicator, no mirrors, no worries