Moron Motorists #3

Thrilloilogy

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Thrilloilogy » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:37 pm

leighthebee wrote:Of all people, surely Robbie could avoid this brief obstacle in his daily ride. Especially when it's presence is of direct benefit to his safety.....
Forcing a cyclist into a lane of traffic is more a direct threat to the cyclists safety in a lot of circumstances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

leighthebee

Postby leighthebee » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:44 pm

I guess Robbie's been at it so long and used to everyone at his beck and call on the road, with road closures, barriers and cars solely there for his pleasure (peleton/sprinting hustle and bustle aside) being just another form of traffic on the road must rankle....

leighthebee

Postby leighthebee » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:50 pm

Ross wrote:
leighthebee wrote:
Just goes to show you can't please everyone. There more than likely because of traffic complaints or previous incidents...

Of all people, surely Robbie could avoid this brief obstacle in his daily ride. Especially when it's presence is of direct benefit to his safety.....
I saw that tweet by Robbie too. He had a good reply to someone else that had a similar comment
"so according to your logic it is ok for cyclists to rack their bikes in the middle of the road….cars can go around"
Meh, why does he even bother replying to someone like that. Will never change that fellows mind. He's just a bike hater

leighthebee

Postby leighthebee » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:02 pm

Thrilloilogy wrote:
leighthebee wrote:Of all people, surely Robbie could avoid this brief obstacle in his daily ride. Especially when it's presence is of direct benefit to his safety.....
Forcing a cyclist into a lane of traffic is more a direct threat to the cyclists safety in a lot of circumstances.

Sort of like disappearing bike lanes at pinch points, traffic islands, debris off line, parked cars and numerous other hazards forcing me into a lane of traffic as I ride to work on a daily basis. Just another part of my daily commute. Certainly not something I'd care enough to tweet about...

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:10 pm

leighthebee wrote:
Thrilloilogy wrote:

Sort of like disappearing bike lanes at pinch points, traffic islands, debris off line, parked cars and numerous other hazards forcing me into a lane of traffic as I ride to work on a daily basis. Just another part of my daily commute. Certainly not something I'd care enough to tweet about...
That's your choice but McEwen had every right to tweet about a Police vehicle choosing to park in a dangerous position. Do you have any connection to the Police force by chance? You did seem to get your knickers in a knot about Robbie's complaint.

Ross

Postby Ross » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:13 pm

Nothing involving cyclists but definitely a MM

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-new ... z2lR4Zbeyy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A Conder woman driving with four of her children in the car was found to be driving three times over the legal blood alcohol limit on Friday night.

ACT Policing issued an immediate licence suspension notice after she was found to be driving with a blood alcohol concentration of 0.154, and with her four children in her vehicle.

Police officers on patrol southbound on the Tuggeranong Parkway at 10.40pm stopped the Toyota Prado 4WD with a woman and four children aged between six and 12 years in the vehicle.

Asked whether she had consumed alcohol that evening, police allege the woman driver said she had drunk two bottles of wine, then corrected that to “two glasses of wine”.
Advertisement

The driver returned a positive result to a roadside screening test, was arrested and conveyed to the Woden Police Station where a second test returned a blood alcohol reading three times the legal limit.

The 36-year-old's driver’s licence surrendered to police. She will be summonsed to appear in the ACT Magistrates Court at a later date.

leighthebee

Postby leighthebee » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:42 pm

biker jk wrote:That's your choice but McEwen had every right to tweet about a Police vehicle choosing to park in a dangerous position. Do you have any connection to the Police force by chance? You did seem to get your knickers in a knot about Robbie's complaint.
Yep, but I'd be of the same opinion for any vehicle. Just trying to inject a little objectivity. That and we don't know the context. It's one still image, with one riders opinion. I could write a hundred scenarios based on that image. We all see poor road choices every day on the road. Most from cars, simply due to the percentage of vehicles as opposed to all other traffic. It just costs us more when it affects us as "vulnerable road users", to coin the phrase heard here so often. I prefer that we are all road users. Consideration should be shown regardless of your position on the road and regardless of your choice of vehicle.

Oh and I don't really like Robbie. :-)

Not the most humble of humans.....

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:21 pm

leighthebee wrote:Yep, but I'd be of the same opinion for any vehicle. Just trying to inject a little objectivity.

Oh and I don't really like Robbie. :-)

Not the most humble of humans.....
Objectivity... hmm, okay if you say so :wink:

So, pray tell, what is so hard about parking the van a few metres to the left, on the grass?

Oh, that's right. It would have required the operator to think. Sorry, I should have known better. :oops:

leighthebee

Postby leighthebee » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:49 pm

Don't put facts in the story.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:51 pm

leighthebee wrote:Don't put facts in the story.
No need. It's all there in the photograph.

Just in case your memory needs refreshing...

leighthebee

Postby leighthebee » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:11 pm

As I said, could be a hundred scenarios other than what appears to be the most likely.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:17 pm

I prefer to deal with the evidence as I find it, rather than speculating on what might be.

For example, I could speculate that you have a mental illness or are intellectually handicapped, or any one of a "could be a hundred scenarios" that is preventing you from wanting to admit what is most likely.

But that would be insulting, which I have no wish to be, and besides, I have no evidence to support the contention.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:44 pm

Time to stir up this hornets nest!

leighthebee

Postby leighthebee » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:36 am

trailgumby wrote:I prefer to deal with the evidence as I find it, rather than speculating on what might be.

For example, I could speculate that you have a mental illness or are intellectually handicapped, or any one of a "could be a hundred scenarios" that is preventing you from wanting to admit what is most likely.

But that would be insulting, which I have no wish to be, and besides, I have no evidence to support the contention.
It wouldn't be speculation, it would be investigation. What evidence do you have? Is there a driver in it? Is it running? Has it broken down? How long has it been there? Etc.

Please don't insult the mentally ill or handicapped.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:15 am

An examination of the photo shows no driver in it... unless theyre wearing a balaclava and black face paint. Given that it's a current model vehicle and a radar van your other possibilities are equally likely.

You forgot to add Photoshop to the list of possibilities. Do they have that for mobile phones yet?

Sent from my android thingy using Crapatalk

leighthebee

Postby leighthebee » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:09 pm

I left out Photoshop, as I didn't think it would be in Robbie's repertoire. All you need is reasonable doubt.

So no driver. Say for example it wasn't a marked van, who do you ticket?

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:33 pm

parking inspectors use a digital camera. what's to say they don't doctor their images?

I'd ticket that van.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:41 pm

That revenue device should be parked where it doesn't impinge on cyclists safety by pushing them out into a traffic lane. As we know many motorists will not give cyclists room.
Well done Robbie for bringing it to people's attention.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

myforwik

Postby myforwik » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:45 pm

I think you will find, in most states, there is no rule against parking in any lane of traffic provided that:
-There is another lane of traffic available for use, or
-There is a 3m gap between unbroken divider lane and your vehicle.

Infact the road rules even allow a driver to drive in a bike lane for 50m for the specific purpose of parking the bike lane.

The photos you show would only be illegal if there were signs or local regulation prohibiting it, or there were no other lanes of traffic to use for that travel direction.

There are videos where people park in the left hand land of a two lane road. Of course they get abused, but there is no ticket, as there is no law against it in most states. This is why you often see yellow line on roads even when there is no shoulder.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:00 pm

Not the point though, is it really? It's just singularly inconsiderate.

We could also add hypocritical - supposedly keeping speed under control for the sake of safety, they sit themselves in the bike lane forcing cyclists to go out and around exactly where driver behaviour is a safety problem.

Minus several million for thinking things through, Mr Plod.

myforwik

Postby myforwik » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:22 pm

All they care about is the law. They don't care about safety/probability/risks/hazards etc.

I wonder if the police would respond?

Ross

Postby Ross » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:50 pm

Looks like Qld isn't the only state where cops park wherever they like. This one from ACT (pic from RiotACT)

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:46 pm

Commodore have I said enough?
Getting off Kwinana Fwy offramp exiting to turn right into Berrigan Drv a Commodore stopped at the red lights, amazing hey!
So I'm sitting behind it and next thing I know they are running a red light, foot down thru the intersection losing the end a bit. 10 seconds later I get the green....
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:39 pm

Came across this f****** moron on my ride today. I thought he had seen me and was waiting for me to pass as the gap in the traffic had really opened up to about 4-5 car lengths before the moron pulled out just as I was about to pass the car letting him in. Instead of using the brake the tool then drove into the bloody bikelane forcing me to duck into the traffic. Then further up the road a few seconds later a tradie starts to creep into the bike lane. The weaving before didn't help but then again he didn't use his blinker so I just pointed to it then pointed at the ground as I passed by.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:03 pm

Reckon you need to ride with a good bright headlight on - even in daylight I'm finding the buggers see it and stop early.

Dynahub is brilliant to run the light all the time - next to no drag and no battery hassles.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."