Moron Motorists #3

Ross

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Ross » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:23 pm

Canberra man, 63, faces court for drink-driving offences for third time in three years

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-10-22/6 ... es/7957142
A 63-year-old Canberra man has appeared in the ACT Magistrates Court charged with drink-driving and driving without a valid licence, the third time he has been caught by police in the past three years.

Police said Alistair David Payne was pulled over in the suburb of Griffith about 7:00pm on Friday and was found to have a disqualified licence.

Officers said Payne, from Narrabundah, also returned a blood-alcohol reading of 0.195.

The court heard further checks revealed he had been charged with drink-driving and driving while disqualified in August and his licence had been suspended until November 26.

Daus

Postby Daus » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:07 pm

This is a good example of what law abiding road users are up against every day. Previous convictions and suspensions cannot prevent this type of repeat behavior. I find it frustrating that every day on the roads I see drivers texting and talking on phones as they drive past me with a metre to spare of course, how many are likely to be affected by drugs and alcohol? how many callously disregard the road rules and are speeding? How do we monitor suspended drivers? My rant for the day I will chill out with the news now. :|

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:09 pm

Ross wrote:Canberra man, 63, faces court for drink-driving offences for third time in three years

A 63-year-old Canberra man has appeared in the ACT Magistrates Court charged with drink-driving and driving without a valid licence, the third time he has been caught by police in the past three years.

Police said Alistair David Payne was pulled over in the suburb of Griffith about 7:00pm on Friday and was found to have a disqualified licence.

Officers said Payne, from Narrabundah, also returned a blood-alcohol reading of 0.195.

The court heard further checks revealed he had been charged with drink-driving and driving while disqualified in August and his licence had been suspended until November 26.
You missed what IMO is the most important part
The court heard Payne was a "serial offender" and had previously appeared before the court 11 different times on various drink-driving offences dating back to 1976.
He aint never gonna learn :(
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

dmwill

Postby dmwill » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:04 pm

These muppets in their giant red ash tray (I could smell them before they got even into my peripheral vision)

Safe pass, but driver and passenger stayed along side for 200m to give me the whole bike path argument. Brains were too small to work out I was doing 40-45km/h and the path was busy with hundreds of pedestrians (first 30+ day so beaches were packed).

cp123

Postby cp123 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:42 am

Mulger bill wrote:
Ross wrote:Canberra man, 63, faces court for drink-driving offences for third time in three years

You missed what IMO is the most important part
The court heard Payne was a "serial offender" and had previously appeared before the court 11 different times on various drink-driving offences dating back to 1976.
He aint never gonna learn :(

learn? nah. he just just DGAF....

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:57 am

Brown Shorts moment this morning outside Royal North Shore Hospital. I was freewheeling at about 40km/h down towards the station. Road ahead is clear. I'm in the T3 lane, car ahead turns right into the hospital with plenty of space. No so for the clearly blind moron behind. I can only assume off to get his eyes tested. The damage on the driver side of the car tends to support my hypothesis. It's hard to see, but even after nearly killing me, the driver didn't even glance over to see if I was ok.

Language Warning!

Update: Dropped into the Police LAC this afternoon and dealt with a very nice constable who took my details. Will be providing raw footage on USB stick tomorrow. Will take it from there.
Last edited by queequeg on Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:25 pm

You are a lucky s.o.b. to be posting that!
Great control to avoid all the deadly poles and other fixed objects and pedestrians at the intersection you would have met if hitting that square curb.

The morning sun was in the driver's favour, hate to think you wouldn't be here if it was reversed, and it would be used as a mitigating excuse for the driver in the news report we would be reading in the fatalties thread.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:45 pm

very lucky there queequeg. got a good shot of the rego on the original footage?

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:54 pm

jasonc wrote:very lucky there queequeg. got a good shot of the rego on the original footage?
Yep, got his plate. You can see it clearly at 0:38 in the video. Also got a nice shot of him still looking directly ahead after he nearly killed me. Damage down the driver side of his car shows questionable driving skills.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:04 pm

eldavo wrote:You are a lucky s.o.b. to be posting that!
Great control to avoid all the deadly poles and other fixed objects and pedestrians at the intersection you would have met if hitting that square curb.

The morning sun was in the driver's favour, hate to think you wouldn't be here if it was reversed, and it would be used as a mitigating excuse for the driver in the news report we would be reading in the fatalties thread.
The only conclusion I can make is that the driver is either a) didn't see me because he is blind as a bat or b) saw me, and turned anyway because he lacks the cognitive skills to judge speed & distance & spatial awareness.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:20 pm

change the youtube title to include the rego

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:27 pm

Hi queequeg,
Well done to survive that mate, looking at the rear view section, the fool stopped right where he would have been on top of you.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:40 pm

jasonc wrote:change the youtube title to include the rego
Updated

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:00 pm

queequeg wrote:

The only conclusion I can make is that the driver is either a) didn't see me because he is blind as a bat or b) saw me, and turned anyway because he lacks the cognitive skills to judge speed & distance & spatial awareness.
Going by the footage of the driver at 1:07 he looks like an elderly driver with the side of his car all dinged up from previous incident(s).
There is a minimum level of competence required for the safe opeartion of the dangerous machinery that is a motorvehicle.
This driver does not have it.
I would be approaching the polce and/or rta with the aim of getting this driver fined and assessed for his suitability to maintain a driving license.
You may very well be saving another road user's life.

Very good bike handling btw, kudos 8)
Dogs are the best people :wink:

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:14 pm

I had a collision in a car, many years ago, similar to that. I went straight through a crossroad, on the green light. A car turned right across me - like the first car in that footage. No problem. Then a second car did the same thing. Oops that was a bit closer. It also distracted me from the third car that turned into me. Wham! 60 to 0 km/h in the body length of a Hyundai.

It turns out that the three of them were all travelling together. The third guy was just completely focused on following his two mates through the intersection and never thought to look up at the oncoming traffic. They were all P-platers, and he hadn't been driving long, and it wrote off his "pride and joy". He had not been drinking and wasn't speeding etc. It was just one moment's inattention and everything went pear-shaped.

daft1024

Postby daft1024 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:08 pm

queequeg wrote:The only conclusion I can make is that the driver is either a) didn't see me because he is blind as a bat or b) saw me, and turned anyway because he lacks the cognitive skills to judge speed & distance & spatial awareness.
F me this situation scares the bejeezus out of me when road riding. You did really well getting out of that one!

I had exactly the same on my motorcycle a few years ago. Things didn't turn out so well and I was badly t-boned. For some reason that I've never understood I flipped completely in the air and landed on my feet completely unscathed in the middle of the road behind the offending car. The witness travelling in the car behind me said it was like something out of the matrix movies. Pity this was pre-dash cams. The older driver blamed me for riding a black motorcycle - despite having a light colored jacket and helmet as well as traveling below the speed limit in traffic.

Police farce was called but they didn't bother turning up. I still to this day can't work out how 5 tow trucks can turn up to a 2 vehicle accident so quickly. Its almost like something out of the Minority Report. Thankfully insurance accepted that I wasn't at fault and there were no injuries.

I shudder at the thought of it happening on the bike though - I suspect I wouldn't have the skills on the bike to get out of trouble like you did.

Spaniel

Postby Spaniel » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:09 pm

+1

Driver needs to be off the road.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:56 pm

Spaniel wrote:
+1

Driver needs to be off the road.
Sooner the better, shocking case of tunnel vision
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:10 pm

I dropped into the Harbourside LAC this afternoon and showed them the footage.
I have been asked to provide the raw footage on a USB stick.
The Constable on the front desk was pleasant and helpful. She took my phone and showed a few others the footage and they agreed it was pretty shocking.

Anyway, I will keep you posted. I've already been given the "not sure what we can do because we weren't there to see it", but when they have the raw footage I'll know more. At the very least I'd expect a TIN or a visit from the LAC to get a please explain. I did a check on the rego and it looked like it has just been done in the last couple of days. The video shows the driver was not even looking in my direction to see if I was ok. Total tunnel vision looking straight ahead.

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:41 pm

queequeg wrote:I've already been given the "not sure what we can do because we weren't there to see it"
Not the main point of your post, but what is it with that rubbish? It seems to come up time and again, despite making no sense at all. If police couldn't do anything about any occurrence they didn't personally witness, being a criminal would be a virtually risk free occupation!

Aside from that, glad you were okay, and another "well done" for your handling of the moment :-o
Veloviewer

MS-DOS Phone. For when you want it done right.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:42 pm

queequeg wrote:Brown Shorts moment this morning outside Royal North Shore Hospital. I was freewheeling at about 40km/h down towards the station. Road ahead is clear. I'm in the T3 lane, car ahead turns right into the hospital with plenty of space. No so for the clearly blind moron behind. I can only assume off to get his eyes tested. The damage on the driver side of the car tends to support my hypothesis. It's hard to see, but even after nearly killing me, the driver didn't even glance over to see if I was ok.

Language Warning!

Update: Dropped into the Police LAC this afternoon and dealt with a very nice constable who took my details. Will be providing raw footage on USB stick tomorrow. Will take it from there.

Damn that was close. And the driver didn't seem to care. :shock: they just seem to see a bike and DGAF. You were very, very lucky that time.

And the Police can do something about it, they can give the driver a damn good talking to at the very least, put the fear of god into them. If they can hassle bike riders for the slightest thing, surely a car driver nearly killing a bike rider (and a very experienced one at that) warrants some effort.

DG1984

Postby DG1984 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:41 pm

I didn't hear any "ding ding ding" from your bell?

Clearly you are at fault for not utilising that life saving apparatus.

human909

Postby human909 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:07 am

I agree with the others, great reaction and bike control there. There are plenty of other examples where slightly less alert/skilled riders end up badly hurt from a motorist's failure to give way.

In such a circumstance my spidey senses would have been on high alert, but the offending car did slow and look like he was going to give way....

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:27 am

human909 wrote:I agree with the others, great reaction and bike control there. There are plenty of other examples where slightly less alert/skilled riders end up badly hurt from a motorist's failure to give way.

In such a circumstance my spidey senses would have been on high alert, but the offending car did slow and look like he was going to give way....
The annoyance is that some car drivers just don't understand that riders can do the same speeds as cars on many roads. I can, and I know Queequeg can do so because he is much stronger than I am. I guess I'm a bit like you, I'm always feathering the brakes a bit when I'm faced with that kind of situation. I see it all the time with cars trying to force their way out of side streets.

duncanm

Postby duncanm » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:56 am

human909 wrote:I agree with the others, great reaction and bike control there. There are plenty of other examples where slightly less alert/skilled riders end up badly hurt from a motorist's failure to give way.

but that's the rub, isn't it. You often don't have time to slow, so its a split second decision between 'in front of - because I think he'll stop', or 'shoulder check, brake, go behind because he's going to gun it through once he's seen me'.

50/50 chance of ending badly.