And they are legally allowed to breed!
'09 Giant TCR C2 Shimano 105
'10 Cervelo RS Shimano Ultegra
'11 Time NXR Instinct SRAM RED Black
'12 Pinarello Dogma 2 Shimano DuraAce DI2

jasonc

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby jasonc » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:52 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:Almost saw a dump truck run a red light and almost cleanup a car turning off the riverside expressway at Roma Street. About half the truck was past the stop line and about 1.5-2m from the car. Thank goodness I didn't cross the intersection straight away as the cab was completely blocking the ped crossing.
and that's the reason I do "tour-de-bridges"
I ride through the law courts, down tank st, over the kurilpa bridge then over the go-between.

1 less set of traffic lights and a million less MM's associated with north quay

nachoman

Postby nachoman » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:33 pm

From the UK

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:47 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:Almost saw a dump truck run a red light and almost cleanup a car turning off the riverside expressway at Roma Street. About half the truck was past the stop line and about 1.5-2m from the car. Thank goodness I didn't cross the intersection straight away as the cab was completely blocking the ped crossing.
Yes thankfully, I would have felt somewhat responsible otherwise! ;/

redsonic

Postby redsonic » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:04 pm

nachoman wrote:From the UK

Wow, that looked bad. Police are asking the cyclist to come forward and report the assault:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... river.html

chalkie

Postby chalkie » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:59 am

Driveways, tarmacing, turf laying ...pikey!

geebee

Postby geebee » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:47 am

No charges against driver and cyclist did not wish to press charges, only encourages this type of behaviour.
http://road.cc/content/news/140602-esse ... video-goes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:01 pm

geebee wrote:No charges against driver and cyclist did not wish to press charges, only encourages this type of behaviour.
http://road.cc/content/news/140602-esse ... video-goes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And I thought police had to pursue assault cases wherever they had proof of them regardless of the wishes of the assaulted. Maybe not.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

Dave-in-LK

Postby Dave-in-LK » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:38 pm

Can someone tell me what the point of this thread is?

I haven't read many proactive posts which have come up with solutions at all.

Just using your gopro and highlighting someone's mistakes isnt going to change then world

How many of you have gone to your local council meeting and suggested wider roads, or spoken with your local politician .....take the time out to write a letter to your local traffic branch manager suggesting ways road safety could be improved

Using the Internet to shame people will a have a zero effect on saving lives ....it's the a current affair model ....dumb. I'm sorry but really someone needs to say this. This thread has 9000 posts and not a thread on this forum on this comes close,

Seems to me this creates a really negative feel.

We know the risks when we ride, I do my best to limit mine but I know I can't control others. Humans make mistakes in cars

just like cylists. How many have you guys posted your own mistakes when riding or driving? This thread dominates the forum to the point all you guys banging on about this and that. Seriously it's rather childish.

i flu d it odd that after 16 replies another thread about a hotel banning cyclists which affects the culture of cycling was locked ....yes this "A CURRENT AFFAIR" style thread is allowed to continue.

Enjoy your cylcing, if you go out in your head with a gopro on thinking about bad motorists your probably cylcing for the wrong reason.

Sorry for the rant. 8)

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:55 pm

Dave-in-LK wrote:Can someone tell me what the point of this thread is?
This thread is here so that cyclists get a chance to have a good whinge, to get a few frustrations off their chest, and to show other cyclists just what morons they have to put up with out on the road.

Nothing more ..... Nothing less.

No one is trying to change the world or to fix the crap cyclists have to put up with day after day, those efforts are posted in The Cycling Saferty and Advocacy thread.

I don't watch current affair shows because I find them both boring and annoying. May I suggest you treat this thread in the same manner if you find it so offensive and stop reading it.

cowled

Postby cowled » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:11 pm

<snip>

Sorry for the rant. 8)
Dave, I can attest to the fact that this thread is very influential in encouraging some of us to become proactive about cycling issues.

I took up wearing a helmet cam a few years ago as a means of protecting myself legally. It has served that purpose exceptionally well. Conversely, the QLD Police and a few other individuals have discovered how damning my evidence can be in relation to their own actions.

I never uploaded anything to YouTube until some weeks after a major crash that hospitalised me with a fracture of my right femur. It was this thread in particular (and the members on it) that encouraged and enabled me to take the QLD Police to task over their misconduct.

Since then, I have become involved in cycling advocacy to a certain extent. I have lobbied current members of Parliament and hopefuls in the upcoming state elections for improved facilities in our local area. I have provided information to the State Government on the trial of the minimum passing rule. And I am in the process of organising a group of people who have experienced Police misconduct to submit to the Crime and Corruption Commission (with the support of the QPS I might add) with the aim of improving the culture of law enforcement in relation to cycling matters.

I suspect that many others have been empowered by this thread and the folk on it to advocate for cycling issues.

So, it is my opinion that this thread is EXTREMELY important and serves the cycling community quite well.
Image 2015 Goal: 2,500km

BianchiCam

Postby BianchiCam » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:33 pm

The thread title says 'MoronMotorists'

It's also cathartic is some sense to post up such driver behaviour.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:38 pm

BianchiCam wrote:It's also cathartic is some sense to post up such driver behaviour.
yes. for some strange reason, it feels good watching bad driving. even if i wished they wouldn't :)

yugyug

Postby yugyug » Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:34 pm

cowled wrote:

<snip>

Sorry for the rant. 8)
Dave, I can attest to the fact that this thread is very influential in encouraging some of us to become proactive about cycling issues.

I took up wearing a helmet cam a few years ago as a means of protecting myself legally. It has served that purpose exceptionally well. Conversely, the QLD Police and a few other individuals have discovered how damning my evidence can be in relation to their own actions.

I never uploaded anything to YouTube until some weeks after a major crash that hospitalised me with a fracture of my right femur. It was this thread in particular (and the members on it) that encouraged and enabled me to take the QLD Police to task over their misconduct.

Since then, I have become involved in cycling advocacy to a certain extent. I have lobbied current members of Parliament and hopefuls in the upcoming state elections for improved facilities in our local area. I have provided information to the State Government on the trial of the minimum passing rule. And I am in the process of organising a group of people who have experienced Police misconduct to submit to the Crime and Corruption Commission (with the support of the QPS I might add) with the aim of improving the culture of law enforcement in relation to cycling matters.

I suspect that many others have been empowered by this thread and the folk on it to advocate for cycling issues.

So, it is my opinion that this thread is EXTREMELY important and serves the cycling community quite well.
Good response cowled.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:17 pm

In WA ...

Andrew

roller

Postby roller » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:32 pm

Dave-in-LK wrote:i flu d it odd that after 16 replies another thread about a hotel banning cyclists which affects the culture of cycling was locked ....yes this "A CURRENT AFFAIR" style thread is allowed to continue.
The raffles thread was only locked because there is a longer thread on the same thing in the WA section.
inflammatory statement or idea

Dave-in-LK

Postby Dave-in-LK » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:39 pm

ok fair enough I will post in the more positive threads,

No problems

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:48 pm

Driving on Canal rd / Gardners rd today in Sydney, I was in the middle lane behind a car where the front passenger had his left arm fully stretched out the window. :shock:

A car came up the left lane but had to stop undertaking for fear of knocking this guys arm off :roll:

Thank goodness the undertaking driver was a sensible driver
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

redsonic

Postby redsonic » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:18 pm

Aushiker wrote:In WA ...

Andrew
Very funny how you guys noticed he was a cop and discussed whether they get harassed when they are unmarked! Did you tell the cop that you had footage of it?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:06 pm

redsonic wrote:
Aushiker wrote:In WA ...

Andrew
Very funny how you guys noticed he was a cop and discussed whether they get harassed when they are unmarked! Did you tell the cop that you had footage of it?
Not me; fellow Perth cyclist but.

Andrew

weldin_mike_27

Postby weldin_mike_27 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:02 am

Unimpressed, wasn't he.

cowled

Postby cowled » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:40 am

redsonic wrote:
redsonic wrote:I am reporting this one to the police. Was struck by the left mirror of a car while approaching a red light in the left lane of 3. I know I should have been claiming the lane, but was trying to be "nice" and let people ahead of me. I was planning to move to the centre of the lane when I heard a toot behind me. Guy came past, hitting my handlebars. No vehicles in the lane to his right at the time.
Lets see how the QLD police treat this one.
Screen shot from front facing video. You can see his mirror folding in from hitting me:
An update on my collision on 4th January. After failing to get any joy from my local police station, I forwarded the report via registered post to my nearest Road Policing Unit.
Received a call today from an officer who said he had visited the driver and issued him with a TIN for failing to give a cyclist 1m. Apparently the driver thought I should have been closer to the gutter and carried his own dash cam in order to catch out cyclists doing the wrong thing! This fuels my suspicion that this was a punishment pass rather than just bad driving. The officer seemed very sympathetic to my cause and said he jumped at the point the video showed the hit. It may go to court if the driver elects, but the officer thinks there will be no problem and the driver will probably get a higher fine if he goes this way.

So, I am happy with the result and the fact that the driver has been educated and punished. It is scary to think about this guy's attitude and what he could do to other cyclists, so hopefully he has learned a little from this episode. My initial bad experience with the first cop could easily have made me put this in the "too hard basket". I am very grateful for the forum members' support and advice and would encourage anyone in QLD to push for a result if they have similar footage. The fact that I was well left and I was hit surely made my case clearer (although it shouldn't), and some will say the driver should have been penalised more, but I am satisfied with the outcome.

By the way, Crawf, the car was a Ford Frend, not a Subaru, so we have the joy of knowing there are at least 2 lunatics on that stretch of road. :shock:
Road Policing Command really should be seriously looking at Dangerous Operation for that. The 1m rule should NOT be used if contact is made. It is a completely inappropriate use of that rule. Could you please send your story to Transport and Main Roads? They are overseeing a review of the trial. This is very important.

Thanks,

Craig.
Image 2015 Goal: 2,500km

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:56 am

Unbelievable - that's insanely close - or it at least looks it!

Good that the driver was educated, but from the sound of it - the pass was deliberate, hence the beeping and the dash cam to catch out cyclists doing the wrong thing. This doesn't seem like accident, that was deliberate from someone who just doesn't like bicycle riders. How fortunate he got caught out.

Wonder if the person posts on Dash cam Owners Australia Facebook? :wink:

redsonic

Postby redsonic » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:13 pm

cowled wrote:
redsonic wrote:
redsonic wrote:I am reporting this one to the police. Was struck by the left mirror of a car while approaching a red light in the left lane of 3. I know I should have been claiming the lane, but was trying to be "nice" and let people ahead of me. I was planning to move to the centre of the lane when I heard a toot behind me. Guy came past, hitting my handlebars. No vehicles in the lane to his right at the time.
Lets see how the QLD police treat this one.
Screen shot from front facing video. You can see his mirror folding in from hitting me:
An update on my collision on 4th January. After failing to get any joy from my local police station, I forwarded the report via registered post to my nearest Road Policing Unit.
Received a call today from an officer who said he had visited the driver and issued him with a TIN for failing to give a cyclist 1m. Apparently the driver thought I should have been closer to the gutter and carried his own dash cam in order to catch out cyclists doing the wrong thing! This fuels my suspicion that this was a punishment pass rather than just bad driving. The officer seemed very sympathetic to my cause and said he jumped at the point the video showed the hit. It may go to court if the driver elects, but the officer thinks there will be no problem and the driver will probably get a higher fine if he goes this way.

So, I am happy with the result and the fact that the driver has been educated and punished. It is scary to think about this guy's attitude and what he could do to other cyclists, so hopefully he has learned a little from this episode. My initial bad experience with the first cop could easily have made me put this in the "too hard basket". I am very grateful for the forum members' support and advice and would encourage anyone in QLD to push for a result if they have similar footage. The fact that I was well left and I was hit surely made my case clearer (although it shouldn't), and some will say the driver should have been penalised more, but I am satisfied with the outcome.

By the way, Crawf, the car was a Ford Frend, not a Subaru, so we have the joy of knowing there are at least 2 lunatics on that stretch of road. :shock:
Road Policing Command really should be seriously looking at Dangerous Operation for that. The 1m rule should NOT be used if contact is made. It is a completely inappropriate use of that rule. Could you please send your story to Transport and Main Roads? They are overseeing a review of the trial. This is very important.

Thanks,

Craig.
Hi Craig,
Yes, I did email my incident report to the transport minister as well as the police commissioner. I have received correspondence from the Minister (govt is in caretaker mode due to elections) and the police commissioner referred my complaint to my local police (Wynnum). When the Wynnum police rang me, I told them it had already been resolved by the Capalaba unit. I also got a second call from the Capalaba branch. I think I have taken up enough police time with this.

I think it would be hard to prove intent with the collision as the guy did stop and then had ample time to run me down again when I got in front of him at the red light. (I was being super assertive to make up for my gutter hugging before the hit!). I get what you are saying about the 1m rule not being applied to actual collisions but if it is enforced properly, collisions like mine will be prevented. I just hope the driver has learnt to be cautious of cyclists as they may be carrying cameras. I am sure he hasn't gained any peace, love and understanding :roll:

Gordonhooker

Postby Gordonhooker » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:14 pm

Dave-in-LK wrote:ok fair enough I will post in the more positive threads,

No problems
Gold Dave pure Gold... my sentiments exactly... :)
OI onya bike!!!