Moron Motorists #3

jasonc

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby jasonc » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:05 pm

find_bruce wrote:
jasonc wrote:http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-10-17/q ... le/7938210

273WQQ:2000 FORD LASER SEDAN

hmmm
That ain't no laser sedan - suggests at least one reason the driver didn't want to stop for the cops
the motorbike police officer would not have done the rego check whilst driving. so it just would have been for the alleged speeding at the time.
now they have
speeding
unregistered car
unroadworthy car (I reckon)
assaulting an officer
failing to comply with officer's lawful directions
also worth looking at:
unlicensed driving
drink driving
drug driving

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:48 pm

I hope the cop is ok, but I wonder why you would drive in the front of a clunker like that if you had some experience. Some of these blokes will kill you with out a second thought to escape for a mg of drugs in the car.

Still, I suppose they would then have backed up onto the bike.....hard to win. It is hard on a lone officer.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:33 pm

Officer has already been released from hospital

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:34 am

outnabike wrote:I hope the cop is ok, but I wonder why you would drive in the front of a clunker like that if you had some experience. Some of these blokes will kill you with out a second thought to escape for a mg of drugs in the car.

Still, I suppose they would then have backed up onto the bike.....hard to win. It is hard on a lone officer.
You mean when the nut bag threw it into reverse and came at speed towards the cop??? And I doubt he was parking the bike in front. From the looks of it he was trying to see where the car was but being on a heavy motorbike one thing that isn't easy to do at slow speed is to visually observe what's happening behind you and be able to maneuver around.

redsonic

Postby redsonic » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:44 am

Lukeyboy wrote: You mean when the nut bag threw it into reverse and came at speed towards the cop??? And I doubt he was parking the bike in front. From the looks of it he was trying to see where the car was but being on a heavy motorbike one thing that isn't easy to do at slow speed is to visually observe what's happening behind you and be able to maneuver around.
Yep, that was my take on it too.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:48 pm

Some may remember the article of a local rider who was threatened by a knife and the driver got a $1500 fine, some here suspected he may be an off duty Police officer due to suppressed details and light result.

That rider has some interesting footage down his local area, this from his car, him picking up the dangerous pass of a car and two cyclists the car was staying behind.

So it seems the idea of having a driverless vehicle follow you for safety/support can lead to this genius chess response.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:38 pm

No way would I have been riding off in front of that moron again :o :x :x
Dogs are the best people :wink:

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:26 pm

Check this spot of the video...
https://youtu.be/DI5H60gUrSc?t=47

...to see the 4WD driver was in a driveway giving way to the cyclists and the car, before he pulled out and immediately made that far over-reaching effort to pass the car to then make the aggressive side swipe at the cyclists.
He also goes on to take the next left turn.

Reminds of the type of person you stumble on FB you see their wall preaches what's wrong with the world today, refers to "old school respect" in a cover photo, shares Anzac Day and Remembrance day posts respecting the freedoms we should appreciate, yet you stumbled on them in the first place because they made violent death threats to cyclists in their comments supporting videos of their fellow "mates" carrying on like morons in videos like this.

Ross

Postby Ross » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:12 pm

Driver on phone at lights shows how NOT to pull over when busted by a Perth cop

http://www.smh.com.au/wa-news/driver-on ... rxhq2.html
WA Police have shared footage of a driver caught using their mobile phone. But instead of pulling over as you might expect, the driver - seemingly oblivious to the cop's presence - unwittingly takes police on a mini chase down Thomas Street in Subiaco.

The vision starts off with the officer catching the Volkswagen driver on her phone, needing to be prompted by the officer that the light has gone green and then taking off, apparently unaware that it was the police who had alerted her to the hold-up.

A quick buzz of the siren doesn't grab her attention, nor does a continous blare, so the officer is forced to yell into the car.

"When are you going to stop for me?" he asked as the driver finally realises she is sprung, and turns down her car stereo.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:30 pm

Well the suspended sentence for killing the first pedestrian sure acted as a deterrent. :roll:

A man was suffering post-traumatic stress disorder from striking a pedestrian dead almost a decade ago when he drove into a parked car, killing another woman, a court has heard.

Allan McDevitt, 31, was at twice the legal blood alcohol limit, and driving at almost double the speed limit when he drove a stolen car down the wrong side of the road and hit a parked car in Hadfield last July, the County Koori Court heard on Tuesday.

He was driving at 94 km/h in a 50 km/h zone when he braked, skidding to about 24 km/hour when he struck the car.

His blood alcohol limit was later found to be 0.1 per cent.

Enzo Bassan had just driven his partner, Concetta Guzzo, 74, home when his car was struck, throwing Ms Guzzo 4½f metres onto the concrete driveway.

She was taken to hospital with serious head injuries and died three weeks later.

Prosecutor Stephen Ballek said that McDevitt ran away from the scene, but later returned, telling police "I f---ed up. I did it. Get a knife and stab me in the heart" and was arrested after a scuffle.

The Glenroy man pleaded guilty to stealing a car, culpable driving causing death, and driving without a licence.

He apologised to Ms Guzzo's family members who were sitting in court, saying he hoped they could forgive him in time.

Ms Guzzo's daughter, Patricia Russo, cried as she read her victim impact statement to the court.

She said her mother had been killed just when she had found "peace and happiness in retirement".

She had left her abusive and alcoholic husband and worked hard to raise her four children as a single mother.

"The best years of her life were taken from her. I didn't get the chance to say goodbye and that will haunt me for the rest of my life," she said.

Mr Bassan told the court he cried every day, grieving for his partner of more than 20 years.

Aboriginal elders reprimanded McDevitt for reoffending, after striking and killing a pedestrian while drink-driving in 2007. For that incident he was given a suspended sentence for careless driving.

The court heard that in the earlier incident, McDevitt had driven through water on a road in Coburg, and over-steered, causing his car to rotate and mount a path, striking a 53-year-old pedestrian, who later died at the scene.

Taungurung woman Jacqui Stewart said he had made a "mockery" of the Koori Court.

"You've not only disrespected your community and your family but my family, who I am and what I'm part of and that's the Kulin nation," she said.

Wiradjiri man Steven Delaney said McDevitt had been "selfish" for drinking and driving: "Someone has paid the ultimate price they can never come back."

McDevitt, he said, should have changed his life after the first pedestrian's death: "But you've elected to keep rolling the same way ... the bottom line is you make those choices."

Defence counsel Michael Stanton said his client had been diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder after the fatal crash in 2007 and had suffered chronic depression for about a decade.

Arthur McDevitt, told the court that his grandson had no "malice" in him, only "weakness".

While it did not excuse his actions, McDevitt had been racially abused as a young child.

"He didn't believe [he had a] space in society and saw alcohol and drugs as a refuge to allow him to feel, even for a moment, like he belongs."

Judge Paul Grant will sentence him on November 10.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/speed ... s51n5.html

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:41 pm

we all having guesses?
2 year wholly suspended sentence

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:55 pm

jasonc wrote:we all having guesses?
2 year wholly suspended sentence
Sounds fair. After all, the driver is the true victim given his PTSD and racial abuse...

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:26 pm

Koori Court? What's this shiz? In suburban Melbourne???????

As for PTSD and the racial angle....gimme a break. Another loser trying to cash in an the leftie feel good nobody is responsible industry. And now I'm the one who's the monster. :lol:

Even worse....now I've read the pamphlet explaining the County Koori Court in Melbourne. I'm speechless............ :shock:

dmwill

Postby dmwill » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:03 am

eldavo wrote:Some may remember the article of a local rider who was threatened by a knife and the driver got a $1500 fine, some here suspected he may be an off duty Police officer due to suppressed details and light result.

That rider has some interesting footage down his local area, this from his car, him picking up the dangerous pass of a car and two cyclists the car was staying behind.
Rockingham/Mandurah area. No real surprise.

duncan16v

Postby duncan16v » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:01 pm

fat and old wrote:Koori Court? What's this shiz? In suburban Melbourne???????

As for PTSD and the racial angle....gimme a break. Another loser trying to cash in an the leftie feel good nobody is responsible industry. And now I'm the one who's the monster. :lol:

Even worse....now I've read the pamphlet explaining the County Koori Court in Melbourne. I'm speechless............ :shock:
Really? Why? It seems to me to be a perfectly reasonable and just approach that aims to recognise traditional practices. Nowhere in the linked document about the County Koori Court does it suggest that an offender receives more lenient treatment.

I'm of the opinion that measures like this are a step in the right direction of redressing historical wrongs. Why do we need the Koori Court? Read this.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:44 pm

Perhaps they should bring back some of the traditional punishments also if they are going to at least partially base the judgment on traditional practices.

A spearing to the leg would be a good start ;)

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:59 pm

duncan16v wrote:
fat and old wrote:Koori Court? What's this shiz? In suburban Melbourne???????

Really? Why? It seems to me to be a perfectly reasonable and just approach that aims to recognise traditional practices. Nowhere in the linked document about the County Koori Court does it suggest that an offender receives more lenient treatment.

I'm of the opinion that measures like this are a step in the right direction of redressing historical wrongs. Why do we need the Koori Court? Read this.
This isn't the place to have this discussion, but I can sum my POV up quickly and simply.

I see no difference between black, white or Asian people. Male nor female. I don't care what religion they hold close. We are all equal. Simple as that. Therefore (in this case) I see no need for different laws or legal procedures for different races. While this situation exists, there is a divide between people. This works in all directions.

This is a dangerous subject that usually gets out of hand, so as said, I'll leave it there. In fact, I shouldn't have raised it in the first place.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:46 pm

It's definitely a prickly one. The car was also stolen before the incident.

As quoted from the Koori court, there are reasons for the actions, but their consequences are not minor and excusable.

Does that mean we should do nothing preventative with the left hand, just be ready to dish out justice with the right? I had a similar thought of the road train truck driver, if it's systemic, don't just punish the one at the end, but equally change the system after another example of the systemic issues. On drugs for instance the Phillipines army general president is weilding a huge right approach with earplugs in hands shouting "lalalalalala, and F-U" running down a path to oblivion at a sprint.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philippine_Drug_War

Bringing it back to moron motorists, it's even easier we know what is wrong with our culture, what can be done to change it, but there isn't the motivation for difficult long term change. Much like all the other more complicated social issues, the systems persist the same results.
Last edited by eldavo on Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:13 pm

biker jk wrote:Well the suspended sentence for killing the first pedestrian sure acted as a deterrent. :roll:

A man was suffering post-traumatic stress disorder from striking a pedestrian dead almost a decade ago when he drove into a parked car, killing another woman, a court has heard.

Allan McDevitt, 31, was at twice the legal blood alcohol limit, and driving at almost double the speed limit when he drove a stolen car down the wrong side of the road and hit a parked car in Hadfield last July, the County Koori Court heard on Tuesday.

He was driving at 94 km/h in a 50 km/h zone when he braked, skidding to about 24 km/hour when he struck the car.

His blood alcohol limit was later found to be 0.1 per cent.

Enzo Bassan had just driven his partner, Concetta Guzzo, 74, home when his car was struck, throwing Ms Guzzo 4½f metres onto the concrete driveway.

She was taken to hospital with serious head injuries and died three weeks later.

Prosecutor Stephen Ballek said that McDevitt ran away from the scene, but later returned, telling police "I f---ed up. I did it. Get a knife and stab me in the heart" and was arrested after a scuffle.

The Glenroy man pleaded guilty to stealing a car, culpable driving causing death, and driving without a licence.

He apologised to Ms Guzzo's family members who were sitting in court, saying he hoped they could forgive him in time.

Ms Guzzo's daughter, Patricia Russo, cried as she read her victim impact statement to the court.

She said her mother had been killed just when she had found "peace and happiness in retirement".

She had left her abusive and alcoholic husband and worked hard to raise her four children as a single mother.

"The best years of her life were taken from her. I didn't get the chance to say goodbye and that will haunt me for the rest of my life," she said.

Mr Bassan told the court he cried every day, grieving for his partner of more than 20 years.

Aboriginal elders reprimanded McDevitt for reoffending, after striking and killing a pedestrian while drink-driving in 2007. For that incident he was given a suspended sentence for careless driving.

The court heard that in the earlier incident, McDevitt had driven through water on a road in Coburg, and over-steered, causing his car to rotate and mount a path, striking a 53-year-old pedestrian, who later died at the scene.

Taungurung woman Jacqui Stewart said he had made a "mockery" of the Koori Court.

"You've not only disrespected your community and your family but my family, who I am and what I'm part of and that's the Kulin nation," she said.

Wiradjiri man Steven Delaney said McDevitt had been "selfish" for drinking and driving: "Someone has paid the ultimate price they can never come back."

McDevitt, he said, should have changed his life after the first pedestrian's death: "But you've elected to keep rolling the same way ... the bottom line is you make those choices."

Defence counsel Michael Stanton said his client had been diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder after the fatal crash in 2007 and had suffered chronic depression for about a decade.

Arthur McDevitt, told the court that his grandson had no "malice" in him, only "weakness".

While it did not excuse his actions, McDevitt had been racially abused as a young child.

"He didn't believe [he had a] space in society and saw alcohol and drugs as a refuge to allow him to feel, even for a moment, like he belongs."

Judge Paul Grant will sentence him on November 10.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/speed ... s51n5.html
Tragic that this man's short comings has resulted in two deaths and in entirely separate incidences.

The longer this man stays in custody, the longer it will be before a 3rd person looses their life
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Bentnose

Postby Bentnose » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:01 pm

Was riding in a 40 zone around La Trobe Uni in Bundoora doing about 33kmh with a car behind, the road was narrow and this bloke was never getting past as cars kept coming the other way, eventually he lost patience and went anyway, giving me plenty of room but the car coming the other way had to swerve off the road and stop to avoid a head on.
No signature

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:55 pm

Hit-run driver Samantha Farrer jailed for five years
A drugged driver who caused the death of a cyclist in a hit-and-run collision at Victor Harbor, south of Adelaide, has been sentenced to five years in jail.

Samantha Magdaleine Farrer, 40, was found guilty of an aggravated charge of causing death by dangerous driving and leaving an accident scene over the crash in December 2013.

Farrer had methylamphetamine in her system when she drove into mother-of-three Kathleen Heraghty, 48, who was cycling on a straight section of Inman Valley Road.

Judge Gordon Barrett has sentenced Farrer to five years' imprisonment, with a non-parole period of three years and two months.

He told her he did not find good reason to suspend the sentence, or release Farrer on home detention.

During sentencing submissions, Farrer's lawyer argued she should be spared jail because her 15-month-old son would suffer separation hardship.

The court heard that in another case, a sentence had been reduced on the grounds that South Australia did not have facilities in prison for mothers and babies.

The defence also argued that the crash was a tragic accident.

Prosecutor Amelia Cairney had previously said the offending was too serious to warrant leniency, saying the incident was aggravated by the use of methylamphetamine prior to the collision and the decision to leave the scene.

She said others needed to be deterred from the type of dangerous driving that killed Ms Heraghty.

MisuVir

Postby MisuVir » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:01 pm

Good damned riddance. Longer would be better. We lose a valuable member of society and excellent midwife, and get to keep some rubbish person who drives on drugs, pretends she didn't notice she killed someone, and then tries for years to pretend she's innocent.

The defence argues that it is a "tragic accident", as if choosing to drive after choosing to drug up is somehow out of a person's control. Being drunk or being on drugs should NEVER be a defence not an excuse for your actions. Oh, you get violent when you get drunk? How about you don't get drunk, idiot.

/rant

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:13 pm

Red Rider wrote:Hit-run driver Samantha Farrer jailed for five years
A drugged driver who caused the death of a cyclist in a hit-and-run collision at Victor Harbor, south of Adelaide, has been sentenced to five years in jail.

Samantha Magdaleine Farrer, 40, was found guilty of an aggravated charge of causing death by dangerous driving and leaving an accident scene over the crash in December 2013.

Farrer had methylamphetamine in her system when she drove into mother-of-three Kathleen Heraghty, 48, who was cycling on a straight section of Inman Valley Road.

Judge Gordon Barrett has sentenced Farrer to five years' imprisonment, with a non-parole period of three years and two months.

He told her he did not find good reason to suspend the sentence, or release Farrer on home detention.

During sentencing submissions, Farrer's lawyer argued she should be spared jail because her 15-month-old son would suffer separation hardship.

The court heard that in another case, a sentence had been reduced on the grounds that South Australia did not have facilities in prison for mothers and babies.

The defence also argued that the crash was a tragic accident.

Prosecutor Amelia Cairney had previously said the offending was too serious to warrant leniency, saying the incident was aggravated by the use of methylamphetamine prior to the collision and the decision to leave the scene.

She said others needed to be deterred from the type of dangerous driving that killed Ms Heraghty.
Good outcome for justice. About as long a sentence as could have been expected. The only quibble I have is the judge accepting the psychologist's view that separation from the criminal's child could cause it psychological damage given the criminal decided to fall pregnant after she was arrested and charged.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:42 pm

Well said to the above posts.

I would have liked her to face some type of confronting scenario where she was forced to see first-hand the loss and devastation she has caused to the dead woman's family. :cry:

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:28 pm

Call me nasty if you like but I've got a fiver that says the child will be fostered out within a week of this specimen getting out.

5y gaol, 3y non parole, 10y license suspension...
I've got a thousand to say she'll drive the kid to the foster centre...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011