Moron Motorists #3

ldrcycles

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:48 am

Nah that's not him, wrong colour jersey. But i'm not seeing a helmet there, book im! :lol:
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:41 am

From the US: "A TEENAGER who killed four people while driving drunk has been spared jail by a judge who says his rich parents never taught him about consequences."

http://www.news.com.au/world/rich-kid-w ... 6781114284" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BAC of 0.24 (from alcohol stolen earlier from a Walmart)
+ Valium
+ 50kmh over the speed limit
= 4 dead pedestrians
+ 2 paralysed vehicle occupants

...And he gets a stay in a private rehabilitation facility which costs $450,000 a year...

hannos

Postby hannos » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:42 am

and 10 years probation.

He should have been locked up.
2010 BMC SLC01

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:15 am

"Justice" in the land of the free hits a new low.

Marto

Postby Marto » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:34 am

What if he was black and poor, but was never taught consequence?

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:56 am

Marto wrote:What if he was black and poor, but was never taught consequence?
then he has poor prospects of rehabilitation and for that, must be punished severely. not that the punishment will rehabilitate him, but that's just what is necessary. or how it's always been done. whatever.

zero

Postby zero » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:08 pm

Marto wrote:What if he was black and poor, but was never taught consequence?
Well they won't send them to "rich white kids only" summer camp extended edition. No doubt they'd have jailed a black kid for stealing the alcohol and riding home on his own bicycle.

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:54 pm

Brad Rhodes: So many times lately I've had to evade cyclists whom don't stay in the bike lanes and come on the road, it's beyond the joke now that mine and my families safety is at risk because they think road rules don't apply to them at all.

Quoted comment from this Facebook article https://www.facebook.com/QueenslandPoli ... 0515243254" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The amounts of likes is scary.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:20 pm

Yep , these islands sound a good spot not to argue with folk....A good spot to look for M Ms

Attempted murder charge, Hope Island
Serious assault, Helensvale
Sexual assault charges, Palm Island
Update – Boy charged over robbery incident, Hope Island
Assault charges, Palm Island
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:17 pm

Police car turning into a shared use zone for cyclists and pedestrians in pyrmont nsw this afternoon. Cyclists waiting for the cyclist specific crossing lights to change to green. Told the cyclists to move out of the way, added that the road one way and we shouldn't be riding in this area. :roll:

If they can't get it right when out on the street with clear signage, what chance do we have when we are reporting accidents in the office???
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)

elantra

Postby elantra » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:50 pm

outnabike wrote:Yep , these islands sound a good spot not to argue with folk....A good spot to look for M Ms

Attempted murder charge, Hope Island
Serious assault, Helensvale
Sexual assault charges, Palm Island
Update – Boy charged over robbery incident, Hope Island
Assault charges, Palm Island
Hope Island and Palm Island are only about 1000 miles apart. Presumably a data anomaly for police cases from both areas to be lumped together on the same district bulletin.
http://mypolice.qld.gov.au/blog/2013/12 ... pe-island/

Queensland is a big state, Hope Island is at one end, Palm Island is at the other end.
Also Helensvale is the adjacent suburb to Hope Island.
At the other end of the state there is also a smaller town called Helenvale. :wink:

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:08 pm

Yep Hope Island is on the Gold Coast, better to just avoid that whole area, awful place.

arkle

Postby arkle » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:47 pm

herzog wrote:Adrenaline doesn't excuse punching a woman in the face in front of her kids.

Same excuse is used in domestic violence cases.
To be honest, I don't see any excuse for punching another person, regardless of whether they're a man or a woman (unless it's a boxing match.)

arkle
http://www.facebook.com/SteveHargreavesArtwork
instagram: @stevehargreavesartwork

cowled

Postby cowled » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:04 am

I got an insight into the mind of the angry mother with 3 kids in an SUV on my ride this morning (MM1).

Two narrow lanes. Pulled up at some lights behind two cars. Wait for green, then go, claiming the lane because it's too narrow to share. A couple of headchecks, can see a car on my tail, very close. 200m after the lights, the left lane widens out and I move left and wave the car through. I then see the driver flick the bird at me. A few hundred metres up the road, she pulls into a small shopping area ... and because I'm just a little bit peeved, I follow (should have just let it slide through to the keeper). I try talking to the woman and asking why she'd flipped the bird at me, but she just flies off the handle and starts spraying abuse at me about not paying rego and not having any right being on the road in the middle of the lane when she pays rego and has to get her three kids to separate schools and is running late etc. etc. I asked her where I should go to pay registration for my bike, and of course she has no sensible answer for that, just more abuse. I told her off for behaving so badly in front of her kids and ended up telling her to drive safely. Of course, this has by now escalated into some noise in the carpark and, as we both head our separate ways, a bystander asks me politely if I've been hurt or if I need any assistance. But then, as I'm rolling off, I get told off by a Scottish guy (MM2) who called me (and I assume, all cyclists) the scourge of motorists who regularly break the law by running red lights etc. I invited him to review my video footage as proof that I do not actually break the road rules, but of course, there's no talking to MMs like him is there?

By this point, I was quite out of sorts, but I just got on my bike and rolled off. Then, I encounter MM3 a couple of kms later. MM3 is driving a Brisbane City Council vehicle. I can hear it approaching and I know that the lane is approaching a pinch point, so I put my arm out to let the driver know that he needs to leave me some room. Well, he doesn't slow down and doesn't move over quite enough for my liking and I have to pull my hand back in order to avoid getting hit. Well, what do you know, the next vehicle to pass me is also a BCC truck and he gives me loads of room, thank you. Up ahead, lights are red. I pull up beside the considerate BCC driver and ask him to let his mate know that he passed too close. The guy was great. He apologised deeply for his colleague's driving and said something like, "Yeah that was a bit too close. I'll bail him up when we get to the depot. Sorry about that, mate." He then asked me to pull in front of him when the lights changed to green and gave me heaps of room on his second pass. What a top bloke! I hope he does tell his mate off.

After my crash in July, I can see that I'm not coping as well with these close passes. Someone comes too close to me on my shiny new bike and I find myself getting unusually upset about it. Am going to have to make myself a cup of tea and calm down a bit, I think.
Image 2015 Goal: 2,500km

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:10 am

this morning a dairy farmers truck overtook me and 3 other bikes over double lines (single lane each way) on a left hand bend (at the top of a crest) with what turned out to be 2 cars coming the other way :shock:
Last edited by jasonc on Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:48 am

cowled wrote:A few hundred metres up the road, she pulls into a small shopping area ... and because I'm just a little bit peeved, I follow (should have just let it slide through to the keeper). I try talking to the woman and asking why she'd flipped the bird at me, but she just flies off the handle and starts spraying abuse at me about not paying rego and not having any right being on the road in the middle of the lane when she pays rego and has to get her three kids to separate schools and is running late etc. etc.
in my view, the reason she did this is that she is probably of limited intelligence, listens to talk-back radio and has been trained to believe that cyclists are some kind of sub-species who are getting in the way of important motorists, like her. and they treat you accordingly, believing that that there go you but for the grace of god, or their mercy. what they don't count on is being confronted in a circumstance where they don't hold all the 'power' - i.e. face to face - and where they may have to discuss their actions as normal human beings. so they try and maintain that sense of dominance by using similar tactics to animals in the wild - i.e. roaring like a lion, etc. it's base behaviour but it's all they've got. i enjoy confronting them like this as beneath the anger and irrational abuse, they know they've been cornered :)

ajmit3

Postby ajmit3 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:59 am

clydesmcdale wrote:I once got left hooked by a mother with a child in the back. After I slammed the brakes. She stopped, lowered the passenger window to abuse me (including many expletives) for having the gall to be in the bike lane.

I opened the door took out her hand bag and threw it under her stationary vehicle (Audi Q7) As she was stopped across both bike and car lanes, she had to get out and fetch it from under the car... I rode off.

In hindsight not my proudest moment, but was very satisfying at the time.
Really ? :roll: I think thats a bit over the top. I used to get angry but I realised there is no point way too many MM ... My 2c is some people including cyclists are just lusting for a excuse to lose their temper at other people. Behavior like this doesn't help us.... Mind you I wasn't there and I know its hard to keep your temper in the heat of the moment...

Shocks me that some of my non cycling work colleagues - joke about having accidentally 'doored' some cyclist... like its nothing....

Scarfy96

Postby Scarfy96 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:14 pm

cowled wrote:After my crash in July, I can see that I'm not coping as well with these close passes. Someone comes too close to me on my shiny new bike and I find myself getting unusually upset about it. Am going to have to make myself a cup of tea and calm down a bit, I think.

I can understand that and it is perfectly understandable. Sure make a cup of tea and calm down but I think someone in your circumstance getting upset would be "usual" not "unusual".

cowled

Postby cowled » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:27 pm

jules21 wrote:in my view, the reason she did this is that she is probably of limited intelligence, listens to talk-back radio and has been trained to believe that cyclists are some kind of sub-species who are getting in the way of important motorists, like her. and they treat you accordingly, believing that that there go you but for the grace of god, or their mercy. what they don't count on is being confronted in a circumstance where they don't hold all the 'power' - i.e. face to face - and where they may have to discuss their actions as normal human beings. so they try and maintain that sense of dominance by using similar tactics to animals in the wild - i.e. roaring like a lion, etc. it's base behaviour but it's all they've got. i enjoy confronting them like this as beneath the anger and irrational abuse, they know they've been cornered :)
:) Hmm, yes, the term 'limited intelligence' certainly does come to mind. I actually felt sorry for her kids. Rather than behave in a rational manner, she completely lost it in front of her kids. She will probably regret that later and, perhaps, she might realise that she acted like a total goose. Problem is, she won't be any friendlier to other cyclists.

cowled

Postby cowled » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:32 pm

Scarfy96 wrote:
cowled wrote:After my crash in July, I can see that I'm not coping as well with these close passes. Someone comes too close to me on my shiny new bike and I find myself getting unusually upset about it. Am going to have to make myself a cup of tea and calm down a bit, I think.

I can understand that and it is perfectly understandable. Sure make a cup of tea and calm down but I think someone in your circumstance getting upset would be "usual" not "unusual".
You could be right, Scarfy. It may take some time to get my cycling 'zen' back.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:05 pm

cowled wrote:The guy was great. He apologised deeply for his colleague's driving and said something like, "Yeah that was a bit too close. I'll bail him up when we get to the depot. Sorry about that, mate." He then asked me to pull in front of him when the lights changed to green and gave me heaps of room on his second pass. What a top bloke! I hope he does tell his mate off.
I'll wager that he will have. The tosser will probably get a good dose of the rumour-mill :twisted:
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

elantra

Postby elantra » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:30 pm

cowled wrote:I got an insight into the mind of the angry mother with 3 kids in an SUV on my ride this morning (MM1).

Two narrow lanes. Pulled up at some lights behind two cars. Wait for green, then go, claiming the lane because it's too narrow to share. A couple of headchecks, can see a car on my tail, very close. 200m after the lights, the left lane widens out and I move left and wave the car through. I then see the driver flick the bird at me. A few hundred metres up the road, she pulls into a small shopping area ... and because I'm just a little bit peeved, I follow (should have just let it slide through to the keeper). I try talking to the woman and asking why she'd flipped the bird at me, but she just flies off the handle and starts spraying abuse at me about not paying rego and not having any right being on the road in the middle of the lane when she pays rego and has to get her three kids to separate schools and is running late etc. etc. I asked her where I should go to pay registration for my bike, and of course she has no sensible answer for that, just more abuse. I told her off for behaving so badly in front of her kids and ended up telling her to drive safely. Of course, this has by now escalated into some noise in the carpark and, as we both head our separate ways, a bystander asks me politely if I've been hurt or if I need any assistance. But then, as I'm rolling off, I get told off by a Scottish guy (MM2) who called me (and I assume, all cyclists) the scourge of motorists who regularly break the law by running red lights etc. I invited him to review my video footage as proof that I do not actually break the road rules, but of course, there's no talking to MMs like him is there?

By this point, I was quite out of sorts, but I just got on my bike and rolled off. Then, I encounter MM3 a couple of kms later. MM3 is driving a Brisbane City Council vehicle. I can hear it approaching and I know that the lane is approaching a pinch point, so I put my arm out to let the driver know that he needs to leave me some room. Well, he doesn't slow down and doesn't move over quite enough for my liking and I have to pull my hand back in order to avoid getting hit. Well, what do you know, the next vehicle to pass me is also a BCC truck and he gives me loads of room, thank you. Up ahead, lights are red. I pull up beside the considerate BCC driver and ask him to let his mate know that he passed too close. The guy was great. He apologised deeply for his colleague's driving and said something like, "Yeah that was a bit too close. I'll bail him up when we get to the depot. Sorry about that, mate." He then asked me to pull in front of him when the lights changed to green and gave me heaps of room on his second pass. What a top bloke! I hope he does tell his mate off.

After my crash in July, I can see that I'm not coping as well with these close passes. Someone comes too close to me on my shiny new bike and I find myself getting unusually upset about it. Am going to have to make myself a cup of tea and calm down a bit, I think.
That is quite a nasty experience for you after all that you have been through recently.
I do admire your quick-thinking response which was to ask her where to go to pay the rego.
Unfortunately her sense of humour was limited by her belief that she owned the road.
Alas.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:47 pm

[/quote]cowled. You could be right, Scarfy. It may take some time to get my cycling 'zen' back.[/quote]

Hi cowled,
I reckon it is just your self preservation instincts kicking in, and after what you have been through no one can blame you.
I can't say I am the epitome of self control myself on some occasions, and find that loosing it does nothing for me excepts upset me more and ruins my day. You have done well to get back on and start riding again. You will be back to your self I am sure, but you will never lose that heightened sense of incoming danger. :wink:
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:56 pm

I've had a few nasty falls over the years - none of them, gladly, involved cars. Just my own dumb moves on the bike (and some dodgy road surfaces). The worst was a MTB fall that gave me a fractured NOF (hip) and broken collarbone (that was not picked up until three weeks later). This happened one February. I was able to do rides by May I think, and in July did a MTB ride where I took a fall onto the injured side. All was OK.

I did find that I was very cautious on right turns (off-side for me) and anywhere that involved riding through muddy trails. This took me several months to overcome, but experiences of the fear, with positive outcomes, are the best way through it. It was nowhere near as long as the recovery to being able to run freely, which took me two years. Cycling was much easier than walking or running.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Ross

Postby Ross » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:06 pm

Moron Motorists - most of Canberra drivers this afternoon.

Most notable one was in the underground carpark of local shopping centre. MM (youngish female in SUV) turns out of side lane into my lane (I was driving my car, not riding bike). Problem is my lane has a large arrow literally the size of a car pointing the opposite way to which MM is driving but she decides this doesn't apply to her even though I am coming toward her pointing at the arrow. She pretends she doesn't see me gesticulating and continues to plow straight ahead while I take avoidance action so we don't collide. :?

Another good one I saw a few moments later was a tradie in a black Commodore ute with a large dent in his tailgate and the unsecured tarp/plastic sheeting flapping around covering his RHR taillight. :roll:

Too many other MM incidents to mention in the previous 20 mins drive from work. :x