Moron Motorists #3

AdelaidePeter

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby AdelaidePeter » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:26 am

mikesbytes wrote:Had the hay truck been loaded about the legal height? And therefor be liable for the damage to the finish banner?
I doubt it. The legal height, I believe, is 4.6 metres. The finish banner was way below that. If you look at the video, even the truck's exhaust pipe is barely below the banner; and the hay is a good metre higher than the bottom of the banner. (And so the hay is a metre or so above the top of the exhaust, which I'm guessing isn't more than 4.6 m total).

So IMHO the primary fault is with the organisers, for erecting a too-low banner on the open road. The truck driver is partly at fault though, because they should have realised it was way too low, and and should have started braking well before (unless they did, but it doesn't look like they did).

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:10 pm

jasonc wrote:
Biffidus wrote:
Kronos wrote:It doesn't matter if the guy is a commuter (in this case) or a serious cyclist...
You misspelled "recreational". Commuting *is* serious cycling.
You mean there is something more serious than commuting? :shock:
Commuting when you are running late is at the very top of the serious cycling pyramid
Go!Run!GAH!

DarrylH

Postby DarrylH » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:18 pm

I would say that riding to maintain health and fitness is even more serious.

Kronos

Postby Kronos » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:45 pm

Cheesewheel wrote:
jasonc wrote:
Biffidus wrote: You misspelled "recreational". Commuting *is* serious cycling.
You mean there is something more serious than commuting? :shock:
Commuting when you are running late is at the very top of the serious cycling pyramid
Track and road racing is at the top of the pyramid. I hate to say it but that's where the elite riders ride. Lunch pale on front and hard hat on top isn't particularly up there in fact I'd say most commuter riders couldn't hold a candle to some of the gruppetto riders I see out on a Saturday like today.

No offense meant of course. I respect all cyclists, but when you're riding with your kids old school bag or a bike like this out front I can't take you seriously in that sense.

Biffidus

Postby Biffidus » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:08 am

Commuting is serious business.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:48 am

One of my best mates was taken out by a car yesterday and will need surgery later this week. :evil: (Dislocated shoulder..broken collarbone...dislocated elbow.dislocated finger...broken radius and ulna..surgery next week for forearm)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:37 am

foo on patrol wrote:One of my best mates was taken out by a car yesterday and will need surgery later this week. :evil: (Dislocated shoulder..broken collarbone...dislocated elbow.dislocated finger...broken radius and ulna..surgery next week for forearm)

Foo
Bugger. Hope recovery is good and the book gets thrown at the driver !!

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:39 am

http://www.maitlandmercury.com.au/story ... t-cyclist/

Car owner fined after drink thrown at cyclist at Hexham

Interesting that they sent the fine to the registered owner of the vehicle (I assume that his camera didn't record the culprit's identity).
Also important to note the fine came via the EPA and not the plods (who would probably throw it in the "too hard" basket when the owner informs them that they can't remember who was driving/in the car that day)

I imagine the owner is really p1ss3d to be paying for their mates activity (once again, assuming the owner was driving and the assault happened via an occupant on the passenger side)
Go!Run!GAH!

Quency

Postby Quency » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:14 pm

Cheesewheel wrote:http://www.maitlandmercury.com.au/story ... t-cyclist/

Interesting that they sent the fine to the registered owner of the vehicle (I assume that his camera didn't record the culprit's identity).
Also important to note the fine came via the EPA and not the plods (who would probably throw it in the "too hard" basket when the owner informs them that they can't remember who was driving/in the car that day)

I imagine the owner is really p1ss3d to be paying for their mates activity (once again, assuming the owner was driving and the assault happened via an occupant on the passenger side)
the camera got the passenger's face. seems pretty cut and dry from the video footage. concerning nothing progressed by the police.
http://www.theherald.com.au/story/50197 ... ssing-car/

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:17 pm

Quency wrote:
Cheesewheel wrote:http://www.maitlandmercury.com.au/story ... t-cyclist/

the camera got the passenger's face. seems pretty cut and dry from the video footage. concerning nothing progressed by the police.
http://www.theherald.com.au/story/50197 ... ssing-car/
The article says that police are pursuing this separately. Let's hope they do - it was assault.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:39 pm

Spotted recently on the highway a car swerving in its lane. I assumed driver updating Facebook, but when we caught up it appeared the driver was not using the phone, but it was quite possible the passenger was showing stufff to the driver. I wondered about the legality of a passenger holding a phone And the driver viewing and directing the use of the phone. It’s hands free after all.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:07 pm

bychosis wrote:Spotted recently on the highway a car swerving in its lane. I assumed driver updating Facebook, but when we caught up it appeared the driver was not using the phone, but it was quite possible the passenger was showing stufff to the driver. I wondered about the legality of a passenger holding a phone And the driver viewing and directing the use of the phone. It’s hands free after all.
I believe the letter of the law is that you can use phone (hands free) for audio functions or navigation. Anything else and its pingable.
Go!Run!GAH!

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:55 am

Cheesewheel wrote:
bychosis wrote:Spotted recently on the highway a car swerving in its lane. I assumed driver updating Facebook, but when we caught up it appeared the driver was not using the phone, but it was quite possible the passenger was showing stufff to the driver. I wondered about the legality of a passenger holding a phone And the driver viewing and directing the use of the phone. It’s hands free after all.
I believe the letter of the law is that you can use phone (hands free) for audio functions or navigation. Anything else and its pingable.
It's covered by Australian Road Rule 300. By my reading of it, there are 2 exceptions allowing the use of a mobile phone: (1) hands-free, audio phone call only; (2) as a GPS which is affixed to the vehicle. There is no provision for a looking at a phone held by someone else, so by my understanding that would be illegal.

But if they're weaving around the road, then surely they can also be got for a more general offence like driving without due care. I imagine that's the offence for drivers being distracted by other things (e.g. reading a paper map, doing their makeup, or just generally not watching the road).

Thoglette

Meanwhile, in Brisbane, the drunks are avoiding the road

Postby Thoglette » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:26 pm

Car drives onto Brisbane bike and pedestrian boardwalk
John Taylor ABC News wrote: Police have removed a car from a popular pedestrian and cycle boardwalk at Brisbane's South Bank precinct this evening.

Pedestrians and cyclists were stunned to see the car in the middle of the wooden pathway before 7:00pm near the Queensland State Library and Art Gallery.

It's unknown how the car got onto the boardwalk and how far it was driven.

The boardwalk is more than 400 metres long and the car was located near the middle.
Later reports indicate unlicensed driver in an unregistered vehicle three times over the limit. But it's technically not a roadway. So what to charge the driver with?
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

murbul

Re: Meanwhile, in Brisbane, the drunks are avoiding the road

Postby murbul » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:40 pm

Thoglette wrote: Later reports indicate unlicensed driver in an unregistered vehicle three times over the limit. But it's technically not a roadway. So what to charge the driver with?
The offence of drink driving is found in Section 79 of the Transport Operations (Road Use) Management Act 1995 and provides that a person commits an offence if they drive, attempt to put in motion or are in charge of a motor vehicle whilst over the legal alcohol limit. This section makes no mention of having to be on a road.

Lukeyboy

Re: Meanwhile, in Brisbane, the drunks are avoiding the road

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:54 am

murbul wrote:
Thoglette wrote: Later reports indicate unlicensed driver in an unregistered vehicle three times over the limit. But it's technically not a roadway. So what to charge the driver with?
The offence of drink driving is found in Section 79 of the Transport Operations (Road Use) Management Act 1995 and provides that a person commits an offence if they drive, attempt to put in motion or are in charge of a motor vehicle whilst over the legal alcohol limit. This section makes no mention of having to be on a road.
Or the fact that she had just driven 80km and only got caught when she drove up behind the 3 cops I just past going for a afternoon walk along the boardwalk. The funny thing was that the cops just turned around and waited for here to drive up to them haha.

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:59 am

I saw a motorist doing something similar several years ago along Yarra Blvd in Kew, near Melbourne. There's a section of the road heading east where a 2-way bike lane is separated from the main part of the road by a raised kerb (a bloody stupid design, but that's a topic for another thread). As I rode east along that section, which is several hundred metres long, a car was in the double bike lane heading towards me! I don't know what the motorist was thinking (or not, as the case may be).

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:20 pm

http://www.bordermail.com.au/story/5171 ... stupidity/

"It was unclear what exactly set off Michael John Butler, 53, as he passed the cyclist on the Beechworth-Wodonga Road on August 22."

Certifed moron.

Interesting that the former employer of this boof head paid $3000 + to the victim while Michael Butler, the moron in question, gets a fined under $1000.
It would be nice if he remains sufficiently financially impoverished to prevent him from owning a car.
Go!Run!GAH!

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:18 pm

Cheesewheel wrote:http://www.bordermail.com.au/story/5171 ... stupidity/

"It was unclear what exactly set off Michael John Butler, 53, as he passed the cyclist on the Beechworth-Wodonga Road on August 22."

Certifed moron.

Interesting that the former employer of this boof head paid $3000 + to the victim while Michael Butler, the moron in question, gets a fined under $1000.
It would be nice if he remains sufficiently financially impoverished to prevent him from owning a car.
but it's OK, he was very sad as his mum passed away a while ago.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

BianchiCam

Postby BianchiCam » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:03 pm

For those that are interested.
Got a result from this pass in Qld the other day.
If you call a 'Formal Caution' a 'result'?
No reason given. At all. Have asked for one.

BianchiCam

Postby BianchiCam » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:06 pm

Same

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:53 pm

From overseas, but definitely breaking into new territory on the MM scene.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-l ... 72adce937e

POLICE in Maine have accused a man of punching himself in the face three times to avoid a sobriety test.
Go!Run!GAH!

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:54 am

How come the worst of these videos all come from Queensland?

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:13 pm

BianchiCam wrote:For those that are interested.

Makes you wonder how close you have to go to be issued a fine?
I suspect you have to be hit. :x
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:23 pm

warthog1 wrote:
BianchiCam wrote:For those that are interested.

Makes you wonder how close you have to go to be issued a fine?
I suspect you have to be hit. :x
Bianchi should pose that question to the plod in question
Go!Run!GAH!