Moron Motorists #3

fat and old

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby fat and old » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:54 pm

find_bruce wrote:
fat and old wrote:Or set his car afire?
I know you're not serious about suggesting I respond to an escalation of minor offences by committing a major one.
No, not setting his car afire. Not really. But if this fella's pushed you over, and you hit the back of your head the wrong way, it's not minor anymore. The popo are apparently uninterested, so what's to do?

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:16 pm

find_bruce wrote:
fat and old wrote:Or set his car afire?
I know you're not serious about suggesting I respond to an escalation of minor offences by committing a major one.
I left a Molotov Cocktail on a guys bonnet one night with a box of matches next to it.

In this case I suggest something less obvious.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:30 pm

duncanm wrote:
bychosis wrote: Beats me why people must queue across intersections/roundabouts and prevent others from clearing more traffic.
I suggest it is because they are selfish pr*cks.
I disagree, they are being entirely fair.

In the line of "If I can't move then nobody should"...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:38 pm

find bruce, am I correct in saying there is no parking restriction on the street in front of his shop. I don't recall one but it has been a while since I've been there
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:57 pm

mikesbytes wrote:find bruce, am I correct in saying there is no parking restriction on the street in front of his shop. I don't recall one but it has been a while since I've been there
Yep, no parking 6:30am-9:30 am and 3:30pm to 6:30pm & so he parks on the footpath at those times.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:30 am

find_bruce wrote:
bychosis wrote:Beats me why people must queue across intersections/roundabouts and prevent others from clearing more traffic.
duncanm wrote:I suggest it is because they are selfish pr*cks.
That and because the law against it is never enforced. Queuing across intersections is a major cause of congestion in the CBD & you regularly see electronic signs encouraging drivers not to do so , but I have never seen or heard of a police blitz on it, you know like they do to stamp out the vast number of accidents and injuries caused by bikes without bells.
This used to always happen in Park Street Sydney. The Police used to wait in the nearby cafe and then calmly walk out onto the intersection and deal with the drivers blocking the intersection.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:17 am

Mulger bill wrote:
duncanm wrote:
bychosis wrote: Beats me why people must queue across intersections/roundabouts and prevent others from clearing more traffic.
I suggest it is because they are selfish pr*cks.
I disagree, they are being entirely fair.

In the line of "If I can't move then nobody should"...
Honestly, I think it's more along the line of "if I don't somebody else will". Which is what usually happens.

Welcome to the jungle

kenwstr

Postby kenwstr » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:55 am

Location Perthville NSW
Had a car (hotted up P plater) do an overtake into oncoming traffic (me) yesterday.
Inside the 50 zone, he hits full throttle the be first past the urban limit.
To be fair, I was on the shoulder but it's a narrow shoulder and narrow lanes and he's doing 80+ just a foot or so past my bars and I'm doing 30+ in the opposite direction. So lets say a closing speed of 110+ with only 30cm or so to spare!

Ken

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:17 am

g-boaf wrote:
find_bruce wrote:
bychosis wrote:Beats me why people must queue across intersections/roundabouts and prevent others from clearing more traffic.
duncanm wrote:I suggest it is because they are selfish pr*cks.
That and because the law against it is never enforced. Queuing across intersections is a major cause of congestion in the CBD & you regularly see electronic signs encouraging drivers not to do so , but I have never seen or heard of a police blitz on it, you know like they do to stamp out the vast number of accidents and injuries caused by bikes without bells.
This used to always happen in Park Street Sydney. The Police used to wait in the nearby cafe and then calmly walk out onto the intersection and deal with the drivers blocking the intersection.

Try a guerilla installation of some bollards?

am50em

Postby am50em » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:24 am

Ross

Postby Ross » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:48 am

Interesting new way of dealing with MMs from another motorist!
http://www.smh.com.au/comment/my-ingeni ... v7281.html

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:14 pm

Ross wrote:Interesting new way of dealing with MMs from another motorist!
I can see any crowd-sourced reporting of bad drivers going horribly wrong - you only have to look at any dashcam post on facebook to see half the commenters don't know the road rules and, worse, are really aggressive about asserting their incorrect knowledge.

BenGr

Postby BenGr » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:14 pm

wellington_street wrote:
Ross wrote:Interesting new way of dealing with MMs from another motorist!
I can see any crowd-sourced reporting of bad drivers going horribly wrong - you only have to look at any dashcam post on facebook to see half the commenters don't know the road rules and, worse, are really aggressive about asserting their incorrect knowledge.
Not to mention the drivers posting are often making the situation worse by their own driving.

Thoglette

Rebekah Stewart pleads guilty to charges associated with hit/run on Christian Ashby (Vic)

Postby Thoglette » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:58 pm

cp123 wrote:http://www.thecourier.com.au/story/4059 ... -in-court/
So ms druggy boozy Rebekah Stewart of Ballarat who Hit and Run Christian Ashby can go back to the pub, but he's probably still learning to walk again..... :evil:
Ballarat Supreme Court: Rebekah Stewart wanted drug money (Now a premium article, apparently, Herald Sun)
Rebekah Stewart had been smoking ice before she hit Christian Ashby (The Courier)
Cyclist hit by ice-affected driver lives with 'soul-destroying' injuries ABC
Charlotte King, ABC online wrote: Stewart, who was on a suspended sentence and disqualified from driving at the time of the offence, has pleaded guilty to dangerous driving causing serious injury and the more significant charge of failing to stop and render assistance, which carries a maximum 10-year jail term.

She has since admitted to using the drug ice on the morning of the crash, and has said she was driving to get more when she hit Mr Ashby.

Reading from a victim impact statement, Mr Ashby told the court he is in chronic pain and his life has changed irrevocably from what he described as a "callous act".

Mr Ashby said he would never be able to run again and that it was "disturbing" not to be able to physically play with his children without discomfort.

He said had to have a kidney removed as a result of the incident, had 12 surgical procedures and has a permanently disfigured left hand.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

warthog1

Re: Rebekah Stewart pleads guilty to charges associated with hit/run on Christian Ashby (Vic)

Postby warthog1 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:06 pm

Thoglette wrote:
So ms druggy boozy Rebekah Stewart of Ballarat who Hit and Run Christian Ashby can go back to the pub, but he's probably still learning to walk again..... :evil:
Ballarat Supreme Court: Rebekah Stewart wanted drug money (Now a premium article, apparently, Herald Sun)
Rebekah Stewart had been smoking ice before she hit Christian Ashby (The Courier)
Charlotte King, ABC online wrote: Stewart, who was on a suspended sentence and disqualified from driving at the time of the offence, has pleaded guilty to dangerous driving causing serious injury and the more significant charge of failing to stop and render assistance, which carries a maximum 10-year jail term.

She has since admitted to using the drug ice on the morning of the crash, and has said she was driving to get more when she hit Mr Ashby.

Reading from a victim impact statement, Mr Ashby told the court he is in chronic pain and his life has changed irrevocably from what he described as a "callous act".

Mr Ashby said he would never be able to run again and that it was "disturbing" not to be able to physically play with his children without discomfort.

He said had to have a kidney removed as a result of the incident, had 12 surgical procedures and has a permanently disfigured left hand.
I am dreading hearing what limp penalty gets handed down in this one.
She was driving whilst disqualified, under the influence of an illicit substance, did not stop to render assistance and tried to hide from the crime.
If that doesn't deserve a heavy penalty what does?
I don't expect one.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:11 pm

I note that The Courier (Ballarat) has a video on how to safely pass cyclists

I look forward to watching that later. Maybe.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

cj7hawk

Postby cj7hawk » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:58 pm

Saw a classic this morning - A driver not only had no hands on the wheel as he veered into the cycle lane, but couldn't see as he was getting undressed as he drove along, and had managed to get his top up and over his eyes and had entangled himself, with no visibility whatsoever, with his arms both pressed against the roof of the car.

All while heading down the road at about 40 kph...

I don't know if the camera caught it... I'll check later. But seriously, who pulls the jumper off their head and gets stuck with it covering their entire face, and then doesn't brake at all, but continues to struggle with their clothes.

cp123

Re: Rebekah Stewart pleads guilty to charges associated with hit/run on Christian Ashby (Vic)

Postby cp123 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:28 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Thoglette wrote:

I am dreading hearing what limp penalty gets handed down in this one.
She was driving whilst disqualified, under the influence of an illicit substance, did not stop to render assistance and tried to hide from the crime.
If that doesn't deserve a heavy penalty what does?
I don't expect one.

apparently her previous sentence was wholly suspended. that means if she was caught driving etc without a licence she will need to do the rest of the original sentence inside too.

a repeat sentence plus this new one will have her doing time for sure. let's just hope its significant. the fact that mummy and daddy coughed up for private rehab once she was caught speaks volumes. why didn't they do it (or SHE do it) 5 years ago when she got into the wrong group and onto the drugs etc. She's only motivated to change I'm sure because she's finally realised she's fluffed up someone's life irrepairably and she's going into the big house.

I will be watching this one with interest too. the complete and callous disregard for Christian, while lying, hiding and running to save her own ar$e.... :evil: :evil: :evil:

cp123

Postby cp123 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:30 pm

Ross

Postby Ross » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:50 pm

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/monta ... v9qwb.html

Melbourne's most battered bridge has been hit ... again.

The light truck hit the Montague Street light rail bridge just before 11am on Thursday.

The bridge continues to be hit by trucks passing beneath the light rail, despite the installation in May last year of protective gantries.

Rubber flaps hang down from these gantries, which slap against over-height vehicles to warn drivers that their trucks are too high to pass.

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:31 pm

I'm waiting for the day they install solid "bridge collision indicators" each side of the bridge - "If you get stuck under this, you'll get stuck under the bridge!". Better to have trucks stuck before reaching the bridge than risk them damaging it and disrupting the trams.
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

chuckchunder

Postby chuckchunder » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:16 pm

cj7hawk wrote:But seriously, who pulls the jumper off their head and gets stuck with it covering their entire face, and then doesn't brake at all, but continues to struggle with their clothes.

Del Griffith?
"We have thousands of miles of cycling infrastructure, we just need to get the cars off them....." US advocate

cp123

Postby cp123 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:06 pm

an American driver, but still nevertheless up there on the multi moron stakes. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... g-sex.html

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:11 pm

nezumi wrote:I'm waiting for the day they install solid "bridge collision indicators" each side of the bridge - "If you get stuck under this, you'll get stuck under the bridge!". Better to have trucks stuck before reaching the bridge than risk them damaging it and disrupting the trams.
They've done that with a bridge in Brisbane. It was the one where a cyclist was killed a couple of years ago because the truck next to them hit the bridge and the debris fell onto the cyclist. (In Annerley?)

Now there is a solid steel girder arch before each side of the bridge. And, yes, trucks still hit it.