Moron Motorists #3

Summernight

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Summernight » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:26 pm

I was driving in the left lane on the Western Freeway this morning and Mr Tow Truck driver was passing me really slowly in the right lane (two lanes in each direction). A purplish Holden roared up behind the tow truck driver and proceeded to push him and be all road ragey saying something like 'get out of my lane' to the tow truck.

So Mr Tow Truck driver proceeded to speed up a little (as he wasn't passing me that quickly), indicate and move into my lane with the end of his tray less than 30cms from my front bumper. :roll:
Which necessitated a sharp brake on my part. Not happy. (And I have cruise so I didn't speed up or anything).

Great overtaking skills, Mr Tow Truck driver. And great road rage, Mr Purple Holden.

(Am I allowed to post driving stories here? :D )

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:14 pm

Summernight wrote:(Am I allowed to post driving stories here? :D )
You drive a car :?: :shock:

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:13 pm

Xplora wrote:
Summernight wrote:(Am I allowed to post driving stories here? :D )
You drive a car :?: :shock:
:P

Necessary evil to get to the love of my life:
Link to picture
(Didn't want to directly imbed the full large picture as posting a horse photo on a cycling forum may be considered worse than posting driving stories on a cycling forum. Tehehe)

The partner at home understands his place as he hasn't been around as long as my darling above. Same goes for the bicycle.

:lol:

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:28 pm

No bike involved... where I work we have a number of buildings, and a road runs between the main office block and some of the other building we occupy, with a ped crossing over the road. I had to go to another building, so I walked to the edge of the road at the ped crossing and looked up the road - a 4WD is coming, and it's pretty obvious he isn't going to stop, leaving me standing there with one foot on the ped crossing. And neither did the AusPost postie bike behind him either!! What the heck is wrong with people today!!?!
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:31 pm

twizzle wrote:No bike involved... where I work we have a number of buildings, and a road runs between the main office block and some of the other building we occupy, with a ped crossing over the road. I had to go to another building, so I walked to the edge of the road at the ped crossing and looked up the road - a 4WD is coming, and it's pretty obvious he isn't going to stop, leaving me standing there with one foot on the ped crossing. And neither did the AusPost postie bike behind him either!! What the heck is wrong with people today!!?!
that's where you step out and make them panic a bit

MM's galore in Brisbane this afternoon. If you need your wipers, you need your lights. Turn them on

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:36 pm

jasonc wrote:
twizzle wrote:No bike involved... where I work we have a number of buildings, and a road runs between the main office block and some of the other building we occupy, with a ped crossing over the road. I had to go to another building, so I walked to the edge of the road at the ped crossing and looked up the road - a 4WD is coming, and it's pretty obvious he isn't going to stop, leaving me standing there with one foot on the ped crossing. And neither did the AusPost postie bike behind him either!! What the heck is wrong with people today!!?!
that's where you step out and make them panic a bit

+1 to this
MM's galore in Brisbane this afternoon. If you need your wipers, you need your lights. Turn them on
Buddeye kern see perfikly OK... :roll:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:48 pm

I did! That's why I had one foot on the crossing, but they still didn't stop! I'm quite experienced in appearing to be stupidly walking out. But... I'm very careful to show that I'm approaching the pedestrian crossing : no running, walk directly without suddenly changing direction, etc. etc.

A couple years ago, I was pushing the bike one handed ahead of me and got to the island in the middle of the road. I then stopped with the bike a metre out into the traffic, the taxi locked it up and slid to a halt... completely across the pedestrian crossing. I looked at him. He looked at me then floored it and took off.

And then there was this woman a few months back, I appeared to step out in front, the nose of the car dived and she pulls up just short of the crossing. Boy, you should have seen her going off inside the car! Daft bint.

But then there was the woman who was looking at her phone and stepped out in front of the bus, thrown about four metres, the driver got out and abused her and told her to get up. She spent about three months in hospital.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:52 pm

twizzle wrote:But then there was the woman who was looking at her phone and stepped out in front of the bus, thrown about four metres, the driver got out and abused her and told her to get up. She spent about three months in hospital.
was it "the bus driver's fault"?

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:52 pm

When that happens, whatever in my hand mysteriously seems to go flying through the air of its own volition to land squarely in the middle of the windscreen.

I've lost a few pieces of fruit and other food that way. :evil:

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:09 pm

twizzle wrote:A couple years ago, I was pushing the bike one handed ahead of me and got to the island in the middle of the road. I then stopped with the bike a metre out into the traffic, the taxi locked it up and slid to a halt... completely across the pedestrian crossing. I looked at him. He looked at me then floored it and took off.
In Victoria that's when you take his number (the Mxxxx on the side of every taxi) and report him to police. They will prosecute and it is highly likely he will lose his licence. VTD is pretty strict on them.

Sounds like your local drivers are loonies. They need some serious enforcing.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:14 pm

jasonc wrote:
twizzle wrote:But then there was the woman who was looking at her phone and stepped out in front of the bus, thrown about four metres, the driver got out and abused her and told her to get up. She spent about three months in hospital.
was it "the bus driver's fault"?
Well... it IS a pedestrian crossing!

Sent from my iThingy...

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:22 pm

il padrone wrote:
Sounds like your local drivers are loonies. They need some serious enforcing.
There are two ped crossings near the building I use, today's incident and the woman/bus is one, the taxi and obscenity lady is the other. Both were after-though pedestrian crossings. They are in cluttered locations with side entrances, traffic lights within 200m, parked cars nearby. Mr 4WD was obviously looking at the lights and not me or the crossing, probably what happened with the bus as well. From the building we have watched many cars lock up and slide there. The taxi and obscenity-woman crossing isn't as bad... but they just didn't observe that it was a ped crossing.

For both these crossings, I am very careful not to make it harder on the drivers... but a foot on the crossing should be observed. And I didn't have anything to throw today. I would have been tempted.

Sent from my iThingy...

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:36 pm

I'm in two minds about the Commodore tonight, was he a moron or was he the prince of derpitude?
Southbound on Spencer St, left lane with this bloke and three others in front at the Little Collins lights. Get the green, front runner is turning into Little Collins and does the right thing by the peds. Commodore and two others sit patiently even tho' the right lane is clear. I check behind, signal, then move around, the classic overtake. Back into the left lane and I've got pole at the red at Flinders with Mr Herpy and his close friend in the left seat going nuts wanting me to move over, not sure where to :? I didn't hear him yelling at the left turner back at Little Collins who delayed him longer *sigh* I'm surprised he actually made the full lane change to pass me, carving the bloke in the right lane to do so. Unfortunately he got the green at Jeffs Shed so I missed a chance to blow him a kiss as I crossed in front to follow the river west.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:56 am

Those tiny little unregistered motorbikes. You know those ones that ppl love to ride on cos they are small etc etc and not road legal
I was driving home, just gone over a speedhump and picking up speed and what comes tearing around the corner with me not 5m from them doing 40kph and still accelerating... 2 of those damn tiny motorbikes with late teens riding them. The lead bike had swung into the lane and scrambled for the path(ped path). I swerved to miss them. They contined on and got tooted by another car heading in the opposite direction to me.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:03 am

Mobile motorized speed humps :roll:
Mandatory helmet law?

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:19 am

il padrone wrote:Mobile motorized speed humps :roll:
almost became one literally
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

BigBadWOLF

Postby BigBadWOLF » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:48 am

What is the rule in Sydney with Taxis parking in Marked Cycle ways to load and unload passengers

There was one parked in the Bourke St Cycle way at Waterloo this morning after I told him he was in the Cycleway he went on a Rant with a passanger on board, then as the Cycle way ends I got onto the road just before the lights he comes right up along me to give me a fright and then back to his own lane.

While at the lights he decides to give me a spray about not being in a bike line when clearly I was on a road where there is no dedicated bike lane.

I have video but Cant load at the moment.
Kris..
Trek 7.3 - Daily Commute (Wolli Creek - City)

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:07 am

I can find no restriction on stopping or parking in a bike lane in the Victorian Road Rules. He would only be committing an infringement if a) there was a no parking or no stopping sign for that section of road or b) the road was marked with a yellow edge-line. Taxis may stop to drop off or pick up passengers in bus lanes, transit lanes and truck lanes, so I'd expect bike lanes to be treated similarly.
Mandatory helmet law?

BigBadWOLF

Postby BigBadWOLF » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:08 am

thanks il padrone
Kris..
Trek 7.3 - Daily Commute (Wolli Creek - City)

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:55 am

BigBadWOLF wrote:What is the rule in Sydney with Taxis parking in Marked Cycle ways to load and unload passengers

There was one parked in the Bourke St Cycle way at Waterloo this morning after I told him he was in the Cycleway he went on a Rant with a passanger on board, then as the Cycle way ends I got onto the road just before the lights he comes right up along me to give me a fright and then back to his own lane.

While at the lights he decides to give me a spray about not being in a bike line when clearly I was on a road where there is no dedicated bike lane.

I have video but Cant load at the moment.
il padrone wrote:I can find no restriction on stopping or parking in a bike lane in the Victorian Road Rules. He would only be committing an infringement if a) there was a no parking or no stopping sign for that section of road or b) the road was marked with a yellow edge-line. Taxis may stop to drop off or pick up passengers in bus lanes, transit lanes and truck lanes, so I'd expect bike lanes to be treated similarly.
Sorry il padrone, but this is one of those few occasions when you are incorrect. The Bourke St "cycleway" is a seperated bicycle path not a bike lane - due to both the particular signs and road markings used and there being a lane in both directions. How different ? Well this is a bicyle path

While this is a bike lane
It may not seem like much of a distinction, however it has very important consequences under the road rules, most notably

(1) A car cannot stop or park on a bicycle path unless there is a parking sign that explicitly permits parking at that particular place - Road Rule 197 and

(2) a car cannot drive on a bicycle path except in the very limited circumstances set out in Road Rule 288.

WHen I have riddent the Bourke St bicycle path I did not see any signs permitting parking on it & I suspect this will be confirmed by your video BigBadWOLF. I would suggerst you try complaining to NSW Transport as well as the Police - NSW Transport are the body who issue a taxi driver's authority to drive. Online form is http://www.131500.com.au/customer-service/feedback/taxi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:10 am

Ah, OK. Separated bike lane is a different thing, yes. You'd need to be sure that it did have the "Bicycles only" sign displayed.

If so pass your footage on to the Police and make sure you get them to act on the road rage. Mr taxi driver may well face loosing his licence (he would in Victoria).
Mandatory helmet law?

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:22 am

This morning's MM contender - I was driving down Dornoch Terrace, two cyclists in front of me (1 following the other). As we all went over the bridge halfway down, a 4WD approached the road from the left hand side street (which approaches more like a slip road). The second cyclist reaches the side street entry at the same time as the 4WD. The 4WD doesn't stop before rolling into the (proper, painted green) bike lane, forcing the cyclist out into the middle of the road. Cyclist waves his arms and gives the driver a look, and the driver alters his line to a shallower angle but still doesn't stop, and then nearly drives into me as I pass him after the cyclist! :shock:
Veloviewer

MS-DOS Phone. For when you want it done right.

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:29 am

GeoffInBrisbane wrote:This morning's MM contender - I was driving down Dornoch Terrace, two cyclists in front of me (1 following the other). As we all went over the bridge halfway down, a 4WD approached the road from the left hand side street (which approaches more like a slip road). The second cyclist reaches the side street entry at the same time as the 4WD. The 4WD doesn't stop before rolling into the (proper, painted green) bike lane, forcing the cyclist out into the middle of the road. Cyclist waves his arms and gives the driver a look, and the driver alters his line to a shallower angle but still doesn't stop, and then nearly drives into me as I pass him after the cyclist! :shock:
Didn't look like this did it?

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:33 am

Hahaha no, it was an old green Mitsubishi (I think). Had it been Mervyn I'd have stopped for a chat!
Veloviewer

MS-DOS Phone. For when you want it done right.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:44 am

il padrone wrote:Ah, OK. Separated bike lane is a different thing, yes. You'd need to be sure that it did have the "Bicycles only" sign displayed.

If so pass your footage on to the Police and make sure you get them to act on the road rage. Mr taxi driver may well face loosing his licence (he would in Victoria).
Not sure where abouts along Bourke St BigBadWolf was, but this pic from Alexandria is pretty typical of the cycleways in the area - bike only road marking & a no parking sign.