Moron Motorists #3

Thoglette

Parking at Betty's Jetty (WA Perth Now)

Postby Thoglette » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:38 pm

Woman restrained after driving car into staircase at Elizabeth Quay
February 22, 2018 7:50PM
Elisa Seeber PerthNow wrote: A WOMAN has been taken into custody after a bizarre crash in Perth’s entertainment precinct Elizabeth Quay.

Security guards reported the incident to police about 6.40pm on Thursday after the woman stopped her car on a staircase near the children’s BHP Billiton Water Park.

The woman, believed to be affected by drugs or alcohol, then tried to escape police.

Vision of the incident emerged on social media on Thursday night showing the woman behaving aggressively towards two officers. An officer on a bike is then seen riding in to assist and tackles the woman to the ground.

It took all three officers to restrain the woman, with one of those officers sustaining minor injuries in the arrest.

The woman has been taken into custody with charges pending.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Cheesewheel

Re: Parking at Betty's Jetty (WA Perth Now)

Postby Cheesewheel » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:31 pm

Thoglette wrote:Woman restrained after driving car into staircase at Elizabeth Quay
February 22, 2018 7:50PM
Elisa Seeber PerthNow wrote: A WOMAN has been taken into custody after a bizarre crash in Perth’s entertainment precinct Elizabeth Quay.

Security guards reported the incident to police about 6.40pm on Thursday after the woman stopped her car on a staircase near the children’s BHP Billiton Water Park.

The woman, believed to be affected by drugs or alcohol, then tried to escape police.

Vision of the incident emerged on social media on Thursday night showing the woman behaving aggressively towards two officers. An officer on a bike is then seen riding in to assist and tackles the woman to the ground.

It took all three officers to restrain the woman, with one of those officers sustaining minor injuries in the arrest.

The woman has been taken into custody with charges pending.
She has probably been watching too many Danny Macaskill vids
Go!Run!GAH!

Ross

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Ross » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:50 pm

Woman driving with young child in the car, talking on her mobile phone and then speeds past unmarked cop car - gets issued $726 in fines

https://policenews.act.gov.au/news/medi ... ling-72600

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:01 pm

If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Ross

Postby Ross » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:09 pm

^Image not working

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:21 pm

http://www.news.com.au/national/queensl ... 6cf3f7e940

Disturbing trend in legal defense .... the virusfication of wrong doing .... it seems that nobody faces court these days without some explanation of how they fell victim to some sort of sensational virus (in this case, a two second "brain explosion") that temporarily rendered them non accountable for their actions (as opposed to simply being an idiot)

:roll:
Go!Run!GAH!

kenwstr

Postby kenwstr » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:02 pm

I typed up an incident report after a ride last Thursday week and submitted it at the local police station. The officer seemed receptive and asked what I’d like done. I asked if they could have a chat with these people and explain what’s what. I didn’t want any legal consequences for them as that would just make their attitude worse. I just wanted the law and rules explained to them. The officer readily agreed they would do that and asked if I could provide the address as the officers may not have a GPS with them. That afternoon I drove by and noted the address and went back to the station. I asked for the officer by name and was told he was now off duty which is consistent with the time. They said they would text him the address. I was busy Friday and this was the supposed day of the visit but I realise the station can be busy and my report may now get acted on that day. The following Wednesdays I returned to the station and asked for the officer by name. The officer on the desk didn’t know the name and went inside to enquire. When he came out, he told me that no one of that name works there. He said he would email my name around to try and find out who was dealing with my report and took my number. Friday evening, I have heard nothing………….
How should I interpret this??

See slightly censored incident report below:

Incident Report of Dangerous Driving and Threat of Assault with hammer.
Time of incident: 11:53 am Thursday 15/02/2018
Location of overtake: -##.######, ###,###### (Googlemaps)
Location of threatened assault: -##.######, ###,###### (Googlemaps)

As part of a regular cycling exercise ride, I was riding my bicycle along the 11 Mile Dr in a westerly direction. Just past Tyres Park race course, I came to a blind hill with a narrow right-hand bend with double unbroken centre lines. This is a dangerous section where close passes are common. To protect myself and avoid the bad edge, I occupied the centre of the lane to make it extra clear that there isn’t room to pass within the same lane while keeping the required 1.5 m clearance. I entered the climb standing on the peddles at 33 kmph and maintained 28 kmph up the steep section at an elevated heart rate above 170. I am 60 years old so that is really trying hard to not hold up traffic. The 4WD behind me overtook across the double unbroken lines into the path of an oncoming 4WD. The oncoming 4WD and I took evasive action at averted a collision. The 4WD that overtook me then turned left into a driveway for some distance down to a shed, obviously the property owners. I followed the 4WD into the driveway and waited a little distance off for the driver to get out of the vehicle. I said “was it really necessary to overtake on a blind hill and corned?” The female, driver then complained that I wasn’t on the edge of the rode. I said “no no” and was about to explain that the same keep left rules apply to all vehicles and I am not required to ride in an unsafe area of the road. However, the male passenger had got out of the 4WD by then and said to me “I’ll take to you with a f-ing hammer, f-ing take-off”
At this point I turned my bike around and rode home.

I had not spoken angrily, had made no threats nor used obscene language.
It seems to me that given the distance from the dangerous overtake to the driveway (about 100m), this driver has needlessly risked a head on collision and put several lives at risk to save about 8 seconds.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:21 am

Ken - do an online report so you get a tracking number. They sound like they need more than a talking to

Ross

Postby Ross » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:43 am

Cheshire drink-driver tells court 'driveway too long to walk'

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-manchester-43155014
A drink-driver begged magistrates not to ban her from the road because her £6m mansion's quarter-mile driveway was too long for her to walk.

Barbara Woodward, 56, also claimed she would struggle to do community service as she had never worked in her life.

Police arrested her for being three times the limit at 09:00 GMT in Chelford, Cheshire on 17 November.

She denied drink driving but was banned for two years after being convicted at Stockport Magistrates' Court.

Defending, Nigel Beeson said: "This lady has quite a large front drive - it is a quarter of a mile from the road and it would be difficult for her.

"She would have to make some lifestyle changes to go about her day-to-day life."

Mr Beeson also said Woodward would find a community sentence difficult as it would "put her in an alien surrounding" as she had never worked.

Magistrates instead ordered her to do 15 days' rehabilitation and fined her £560 with £760 surcharges.

Cheshire Police found her slumped at the wheel of her £79,000 Mercedes G-Class 4x4, with her make-up smeared and slurring her words.

The court heard she had tried to buy sparkling wine at a petrol station to make bucks fizz for friends.

Woodward, who lives in a £6m mansion, was found slumped at the wheel two days after her husband's funeral

Petrol station attendant Sharid Butt said: "The lady got out of the car and was stumbling all over the forecourt.

"She grabbed three bottles of different wines then she stumbled over to the counter to pay me for them.

"She didn't seem right and I knew she was drunk."

He called police after she drove off at 5mph and staggered out of another shop.

The court heard it happened two days after her husband's funeral.

Mrs Woodward said: "He did everything, and then when he died I had to take over. I had never paid a bill in my life."

Ross

Postby Ross » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:02 am

Woman threw ‘oven cleaner’ over cyclist in road rage attack

http://road.cc/content/news/237667-hull ... age-attack
A woman who left a cyclist with chemical burns and physical scarring after throwing a corrosive substance over him in a road rage attack has been handed a 12-month jail sentence suspended for two years and must also complete 200 hours of unpaid work.
This might belong in Moron Cyclists thread as well as the cyclist was the one who actually cast the first stone so to speak, by squirting their water bottle at the car. The cyclist was annoyed by the driving of the motorist saying she had veered towards him. Then the woman in the car (with her children in the back and her husband driving) threw coffee over the cyclist and then later a “translucent liquid” which was later to be found to be substance consistent with cleaning products. Luckily it did not go into the cyclist's eyes or they could of been blinded. The woman who threw the oven cleaner at first claimed it was Diet Coke.

kenwstr

Postby kenwstr » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:52 am

jasonc wrote:Ken - do an online report so you get a tracking number. They sound like they need more than a talking to
I don't know that "need" is the right word here, deserve might be a better one, there is a difference. If they are punished for this, they will likely just resent cyclist even more exacerbating the problem. I have no evidence and no witnesses, only my word. I think it extremely unlikely charges would be upheld so police wouldn't be inclined to waste time and money on this. A visit is about all I can realistically expect and if by chance they are genuinely mistaken about the law, an authoritative impartial explanation may help. I suppose that all sounds idealistic and naive.

I will however try an online report. The thing I don't get is that the original officers name was recognised on my 2nd visit but not the 3rd. So far, the police are indicating that I am being reasonable, in my requests.

I am getting really fed up lately and considered getting a camera though from what I read, it's not likely to be accepted as evidence. More likely to have me obsess over reporting and frustrated over being ignored. The ride before this one I had a car tail me on approaching a side road that is often used by cyclists. When I signalled right and began to move across for the turn, the car overtook. I have to suspect a deliberately attempted fatal accident. A few week before that, a ute on a roundabout that I yielded too on approach braked strongly in the roundabout though I still managed to check speed to enter to their left and rear. They then stopped dead in the narrow exit to angrily berate me to get off the road (school age kid onboard). I had been doing 30 on approach to merge speed, perhaps they wanted to make me crash into the side of their ute so I would be at fault. Anyway, that exit goes through a narrow railway underpass that is safest to do a speed to reduce the temptation of an overtake in the confined space. I can't track stand and unclipping would be a disaster here as I would be a real impediment to traffic in the confined space. So this is a very dangerous situation developing for me with traffic piling up behind. I usually don't report these things but it's getting beyond ridiculous and I'm fed up.

Ken

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:35 am

kenwstr wrote:I am getting really fed up lately and considered getting a camera though from what I read, it's not likely to be accepted as evidence. More likely to have me obsess over reporting and frustrated over being ignored.
It's up to you what you report. But think about it like this. Driver 'A' overtakes you too close. You just shake your head. The next week Driver 'A' clips a cyclists. knocking them off their bike and injuring them.
But in the first situation, if you logged a call with the police saying "talk to the owner of vehicle that Driver 'A' was driving", all of a sudden there's a record that this vehicle/driver has a history of careless driving. A few scenarios may play out here:
1. police talk to owner of vehicle that Driver 'A' was driving, attitude improves. cyclists are now given a wide berth
2. police talk to owner of vehicle that Driver 'A' was driving, attitude declines. cyclists clips. police will most likely charge them for both. police can show a history of events. driver taken off road
3. police do nothing. Driver 'A' keeps getting closer and closer. Police can then be sued for not doing their job protecting road users. You have proof that you had notified them of Driver 'A's attitude towards cyclists
off topic a bit:
BQ are looking at collating a list of events and vehicle registrations. first thing I would do is see if there is a correlation of registration numbers

kenwstr

Postby kenwstr » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:15 am

jasonc wrote:
kenwstr wrote:I am getting really fed up lately and considered getting a camera though from what I read, it's not likely to be accepted as evidence. More likely to have me obsess over reporting and frustrated over being ignored.
It's up to you what you report. But think about it like this. Driver 'A' overtakes you too close. You just shake your head. The next week Driver 'A' clips a cyclists. knocking them off their bike and injuring them.
But in the first situation, if you logged a call with the police saying "talk to the owner of vehicle that Driver 'A' was driving", all of a sudden there's a record that this vehicle/driver has a history of careless driving. A few scenarios may play out here:
1. police talk to owner of vehicle that Driver 'A' was driving, attitude improves. cyclists are now given a wide berth
2. police talk to owner of vehicle that Driver 'A' was driving, attitude declines. cyclists clips. police will most likely charge them for both. police can show a history of events. driver taken off road
3. police do nothing. Driver 'A' keeps getting closer and closer. Police can then be sued for not doing their job protecting road users. You have proof that you had notified them of Driver 'A's attitude towards cyclists
off topic a bit:
BQ are looking at collating a list of events and vehicle registrations. first thing I would do is see if there is a correlation of registration numbers
It's a nice theory and I don't disagree but I could spend my entire life capturing/editing video and making reports. I don't think that's a fulfilling life. Look how it's working out for certain other forumites who now have a rep that gets them ignored.

Ken

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:26 am

kenwstr wrote:
jasonc wrote:
off topic a bit:
It's a nice theory and I don't disagree but I could spend my entire life capturing/editing video and making reports. I don't think that's a fulfilling life. Look how it's working out for certain other forumites who now have a rep that gets them ignored.

Ken
I know the feeling. I run cameras, and have done so for about 3 years. I have reported only one incident, where I had to seriously question the competence of the driver. He was elderly and came within a whisker of sending me over his bonnet when he turned right across 3 lanes of traffic with me in plain sight (as the only vehicle occupying any of the lanes).
The police spoke to the driver. He wasn't fined, but was cautioned, and the video is allegedly on his file. If he does it again and kills someone, then his prior incident with me would give them something to show form.

As you point out though, if I reported every single person who came too close, I'd be in the police station every day. The place I seem to get close passed the most is leaving my street in the morning. Driver's must be completely stupid, because I live in an area where there are only two exits onto the main road, and see the same cars every day. It's not hard to simply go find the car parked in the driveway and leave them a personal message.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:14 am

3 years, ~45000kms, I've made about 30 reports. There were a lot more close passes but they were the ones that bothered me

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:14 pm

Saturday I watched a car take a very wide arc out of a driveway, then very slowly proceed. It the veered across again and an oncoming car slowed to a stop to allow it to pass. Elderly woman driving with damage to the drivers side of the car (a decent side swipe). Over the next km or so she veered right several more times while traveling quite slowly still.

Reported to police this morning. I hope they can instigate a license review before she parks her car in a cafe.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Ross

Postby Ross » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:56 am

Only in Japan...

Japanese police arrest go-kart driver dressed as Super Mario over hit-and-run with cyclist

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/lates ... ist-370774

solmanic
Location: The glorious hills of the Sunshine Coast hinterland

Postby solmanic » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:06 am

Ross wrote:Only in Japan...

Japanese police arrest go-kart driver dressed as Super Mario over hit-and-run with cyclist

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/lates ... ist-370774
I did this last week in Tokyo and it was HILARIOUS! The go-karting tours are fairly well organised however they do require the drivers to have their wits about them as you go through central business districts with lots of pedestrian and bicycle traffic. The format of the tour is more like a bizarre bunch ride with the leader indicating to those behind when to go single file & when to double-up and claim the lane. The main problem is when drivers at the tail end get cut off by traffic lights changing as the bunch goes through. There is a LOT of red light running to keep the group together.

A crash with a cyclist however, doesn't surprise me in the slightest. Many, many people I saw cycling on the streets in Tokyo would weave & wander aimlessly along footpaths and crossings. But Japan has strict liability laws when it comes to traffic crashes involving pedestrians & bicycles where the motor vehicle is presumed to be at fault in a crash and basically has to prove otherwise. Hence the go-kart driver was arrested regardless of the circumstances of the crash.

chriso_29er

Postby chriso_29er » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:45 pm

Anyone wondering what the hell they are talking about. I took these photos last year lol.
Yes, thats right. They are somehow allowed to drive these things through the center of Tokyo.

https://dgtzuqphqg23d.cloudfront.net/mI ... 8x1364.jpg
https://dgtzuqphqg23d.cloudfront.net/uJ ... 8x1364.jpg

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:38 pm

kenwstr wrote:I typed up an incident report after a ride last Thursday week and submitted it at the local police station. . .
That was your first mistake.
You know where the offender lives.
You know what the offenders car looks like.

You ride home and put that in the memory bank. Wait 6 months and if it still bothers you do something about it.
No, not a police report.
Why do you expect other people to sort something out that you can sort out yourself?

Ross

Postby Ross » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:42 am

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:44 am

Ross wrote:Image
lol :D :D :D

kenwstr

Postby kenwstr » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:39 am

Yeh, let's not go there.

I have sorted out the police officer's correct name, haven't had any feedback yet though.
Will take a notebook if I go to the station again. Online report is probably the way to go though.

Ken

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:13 pm

Would you believe the truck's brakes failed...would you believe a coughing fit made me unconscious...

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/tru ... 4z2jc.html

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:22 pm

biker jk wrote:Would you believe the truck's brakes failed...would you believe a coughing fit made me unconscious...

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/tru ... 4z2jc.html
Truckee in SA tried that excuse too (coughing fit that is) and failed.