Moron Motorists #3

human909

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby human909 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:09 pm

greyhoundtom wrote:I only wish the police were more vigilant in charging those unconsidered ##### that insist in driving in the overtaking lane and in the process increase the level of frustration of a lot of other drivers. Including me.

Unfortunately as this frustration builds up over the course of a journey as caused by various moron drivers doing stupid stuff it could then we'll be taken out on a cyclist by a punishment pass by some drivers, as they are an easier target than getting back at another driver.
If you or others get this frustrated by driving then something is severely wrong. The greater moron is not the driver who may be briefly in the wrong lane. The greater moron are those who are frustrated and act DANGEROUSLY.

Last moron who harassed me for being in the overtaking lane was a tailgating motorcycle COP. :shock: I didn't change back immediately after overtaking another car because having a tailgating motorcycle weaving back and forth behind me looking to overtake meant that I didn't want to make any sudden moves.

I would have loved for the policeman to have pulled me over for that. There was only one person being a danger in that encounter and it wasn't me!

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:19 pm

^^^ Similar scenario as the one I mentioned above :D

I'd estimate the police unmarked car was being driven at >150 kmh to have appeared out of nowhere so suddenly (no lights or siren). Who was the greater danger?

BTW, I was overtaking another vehicle at the time, doing 110, and had unknowingly changed lanes in front of the copper. I'd checked less than a minute earlier - completely empty road behind for at least a kilometre.

I am still glad I stuck the middle digit up at him :)
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:33 pm

Yes I recall travelling down the Geelong road a few years ago and watched a P plate driver pass me in the right lane doing maybe 115kmh. 30 sec to a min later a highway patrol car comes screaming up the left side in the stopping lane at ~ 190 kmh passing between my car with family on board and the wire rope barrier at said ridiculous speed :x Did the same to the poor old lady in front of me. A little further up the road we see him writing a ticket for the P plater.
I know who was the danger on the road that day, it wasn't the p plater.
Wish I had stopped to voice my opinion.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Bakks

Postby Bakks » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:52 pm

human909 wrote:
greyhoundtom wrote:I only wish the police were more vigilant in charging those unconsidered ##### that insist in driving in the overtaking lane and in the process increase the level of frustration of a lot of other drivers. Including me.

Unfortunately as this frustration builds up over the course of a journey as caused by various moron drivers doing stupid stuff it could then we'll be taken out on a cyclist by a punishment pass by some drivers, as they are an easier target than getting back at another driver.
If you or others get this frustrated by driving then something is severely wrong. The greater moron is not the driver who may be briefly in the wrong lane. The greater moron are those who are frustrated and act DANGEROUSLY.

Last moron who harassed me for being in the overtaking lane was a tailgating motorcycle COP. :shock: I didn't change back immediately after overtaking another car because having a tailgating motorcycle weaving back and forth behind me looking to overtake meant that I didn't want to make any sudden moves.

I would have loved for the policeman to have pulled me over for that. There was only one person being a danger in that encounter and it wasn't me!
People sitting in the right line when not overtaking is just pure arrogance and selfishness. I don't condone someone tailgating them, but I'm not going to vilify someone for it either.

human909

Postby human909 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:03 pm

Bakks wrote:People sitting in the right line when not overtaking is just pure arrogance and selfishness. I don't condone someone tailgating them, but I'm not going to vilify someone for it either.
Most likely it is NEITHER.

In my example I was in the lane because I had just finished overtaking. In many other situations the is most likely ignorant or not aware. This is not great, but it isn't arrogance and selfishness.

You tacit support for tailgating is however problematic and dangerous, especially for cyclists. Lots of motorists thing cyclists are selfish and arrogant, and that this justifies behaving dangerously towards them.
Last edited by human909 on Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bakks

Postby Bakks » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:05 pm

human909 wrote:
Bakks wrote:People sitting in the right line when not overtaking is just pure arrogance and selfishness. I don't condone someone tailgating them, but I'm not going to vilify someone for it either.
Most likely it is NEITHER.

In my example I was in the lane because I had just finished overtaking. In many other situations the is most likely ignorant or not aware. This is not great, but it isn't arrogance and selfishness.

You tacit support for tailgating is however problematic and dangerous.
There is no tacit support for tailgating. I despise tailgaters and people who sit in the right lane equally.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:12 pm

Bakks wrote:I don't condone someone tailgating them, but I'm not going to vilify someone for it either.
Well, I certainly will, and I am talking here about those who sit <10m behind another car, at 100kmh. This is highly dangerous, arrogant, and ignorant of all morality and safety.

The 'danger' of someone lagging too long in the right lane pales into insignificance in comparison. If you cannot see this you may well be one of those unwilling to take real responsibility for your actions.
Mandatory helmet law?

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:25 pm

If you want to educate the recalcitrant right hand lane dweller simply pull in front and gradually slow down.
CBFed myself there are too many morons to bother, I just try to stay safe.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:28 pm

Human909 I agree with your comments (yay) in general though I must point out getting frustrated is a part of living in society- what distinguishes is how the individual reacts to that situation- i.e. tailgating, taking it out on cyclists etc.
Most people learn to deal with the frustration and take a chill pill (I am getting better at this but banks, online forums and recently, couriers companies stretch that ability)

BTW driving in the right hand lane continuously is not a dangerous act- rude yes, tailgating OTOH is a dangerous act.

silentC

Postby silentC » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:34 pm

People sitting in the right line when not overtaking is just pure arrogance and selfishness
Yes I have to admit it annoys me. Nothing worse than leaving Sydney and you have all that traffic hanging in the left lane to take one of the exits out past Cambelltown and meanwhile some tosser is putting along at 10k below the speed limit in the right hand lane with a string of cars a mile long behind.
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

elantra

Postby elantra » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:35 pm

Bakks wrote: People sitting in the right line when not overtaking is just pure arrogance and selfishness. I don't condone someone tailgating them, but I'm not going to vilify someone for it either.
You cannot really be sure that someone in the R passing lane is being selfish. Sometimes it is ignorance, sometimes it is because they would like to go a bit faster but there is someone in front of them.
This happens all the time on the Motorway between Brisbane and the GoldCoast.

But there is never any doubt about tailgating. Dangerous.
There is No excuse for tailgating or any other form of dangerously aggressive driving habits.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:50 pm

human909 wrote:

If you or others get this frustrated by driving then something is severely wrong.

Wrong or not, I think that the frustration experienced on roads is a lot more common than people.....especially cyclists.....would like to admit. For anecdotal evidence, just read the MM or MC threads; hell read a lot of the threads here. I'd not want some of the blokes here next to me in a car on some days.

I wouldn't want me next to me in a car on some days :!: :lol:

human909

Postby human909 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:18 pm

fat and old wrote:Wrong or not, I think that the frustration experienced on roads is a lot more common than people.....especially cyclists.....would like to admit. For anecdotal evidence, just read the MM or MC threads; hell read a lot of the threads here. I'd not want some of the blokes here next to me in a car on some days.

I wouldn't want me next to me in a car on some days :!: :lol:
Which is my point. You can choose whether you allow yourself to get frustrated or not. Try instead to relax and accept the road conditions. More importantly you can choose not to act on your frustrations.

As mentioned in the other thread. I got "stuck" travelling in a car among the 4000 cyclists throng of GVBR. As a motorists who wanted to get home after a week away from home I was inconvenienced and would have preferred to have an open road. But getting annoyed or frustrated doesn't achieve anything. Expressing this emotion via abuse or even worse actions like tailgating is intimidating and dangerous and naturally should not be tolerated.

Instead had a pleasant conversation with one of the cyclists when we stopped for lunch/coffee. :mrgreen:
elantra wrote:You cannot really be sure that someone in the R passing lane is being selfish.
That reminds me of another time I got abused for being in the right hand lane and yet not overtaking. I was looking to turn RIGHT off the freeway, of course the 4WD behind me ignored my indicator and then tailgated me making the whole situation more dangerous, given that I had to slow down significantly before making the turn.

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:32 pm

human909 wrote:

If you or others get this frustrated by driving then something is severely wrong.
Of course there is something severely wrong!

Far too many people start the day being aggravated before they even get in the car to go to work because things at home including their financial situation and their relationship is not what they would like it to be.

Then the trip to work, most of the time in peak hour traffic, does little to ease the stress, and then it's not unusual to have a tough day at work. All you want to do after that is to get home, have a couple of beers and try and relax providing your partner doesn't spend too much time bitching about something.

But there are red lights, moron drivers, and stupid cyclists in your way everywhere you look.

Personally I do my very best to drive courteously and safely, including doing my best not to aggravate the drivers around me. At the same time even now when retired and not having those stresses that used to plague me, I still do get annoyed at other drivers that drive as though they are the only car on the road and don't seem to give a stuff about anyone else.

silentC

Postby silentC » Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:08 pm

You don't have to be doing anything at all to pee some people off. A group of us rode past an old bloke the other day and just as I rode past, he said to his wife "these cyclists are real b@stards". Normally I'd ignore it but I decided to ask what his issue was. All he could say was "the way you all carry on". All we were doing was riding past him, we weren't "carrying on" in any particular way.

It wasn't like that 10 years ago. I was mostly ignored. Now we get comments like that for no reason at all.
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:15 pm

silentC wrote:It wasn't like that 10 years ago. I was mostly ignored. Now we get comments like that for no reason at all.
Ghandi's Four Stages of Social Change: first they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.

Good news, we seem to be getting on around about stage 3. Then we win :D
Mandatory helmet law?

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:47 pm

Actually, IP, that's based on Arthur Schopenhauer's oft mis-cited quote. Gandhi was a late ring-in at the party.

“All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.”

human909

Postby human909 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:49 pm

il padrone wrote:Good news, we seem to be getting on around about stage 3. Then we win :D
:D Quite true. And what scares "them" the most is that we are winning in some places and they can see the writing on the wall.

yugyug

Moron Motorists #3

Postby yugyug » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:22 pm

Ugh. Was claiming the lane today on a narrow road between a black SUV in front and some dried vomit green v8ish sounding sedan behind. After moving through a roundabout the SUV flashes their brake lights and slows down a lot and crawls along for sometime looking for a driveway, eventually signaling right and turning into it. By this stage the green sedan is going mental, tailgating me and revving it's engine before overtaking me at excessive speed after the SUV turned off - only to pull into a 90 degree front to curb parking space 5 seconds later. In a rush bro?? You think he was irritated by me or the slowing SUV? Well as i rode past his rear he suddenly reversed out a metre. So guess it was me. No harm done, there was no way i would be riding anywhere near his vehicle, I was way out in the middle of the street by that point, but IMO it was a deliberate attempt to rattle me. Such a dick move.

HiChris

Postby HiChris » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:30 pm

Hope you blew him a kids

yugyug

Postby yugyug » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:46 pm

dungee wrote:Hope you blew him a kids
Well that sounds weird and creepy...

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:14 pm

How timely:

https://m.police.nsw.gov.au/news_media_ ... w9MQ%3D%3D" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Almost 300 drivers detected not keeping left on major roads in state-wide traffic blitz
Thursday, 04 December 2014 02:20:37 PM

Almost 300 drivers were stopped for not keeping left on major roads as part of a one-day, state-wide traffic operation yesterday (Wednesday 3 December 2014).

Operation Compliance 5 targeted drivers for not-keep-left offences, mobile phone use, school zone offences and vehicle defects. It was conducted on major highways and suburban roads across the state.

Overall, 297 drivers received an infringement for not keeping left – which carries a fine of $311 and two demerit points.

Another 899 drivers were detected using mobile phones while driving; 713 were stopped for school-zone offences; and action was taken against 358 motorists with defective vehicles.

Traffic and Highway Patrol Commander, Assistant Commissioner John Hartley, said Operation Compliance targeted offences that risked the safety of all motorists.

“Not keeping left on our roads is a community issue that needs to be brought to the attention of all motorists. Driving well below the speed limit in the right lane can cause traffic build-up and result in unsafe and illegal overtaking manoeuvres,” he said.

“With 297 not-keep-left offences detected in one day, the message needs to be highlighted to keep left unless overtaking, to ensure the safety of all motorists.

“This operation also detected nearly 900 drivers on mobile phones and more than 700 committing school-zone offences, which is disappointing and dangerous.

“Police will continue to run these operations to ensure drivers who have become complacent are detected and brought to account for their actions, before being involved in a serious or deadly crash,” Assistant Commissioner Hartley said.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

softy

Postby softy » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:47 pm

Okay, all of the previous posts where a drive has endanger a cyclist, now a driver does the same thing to a car. It's okay.

Maybe if a bicycle is doing something wrong then you should get your car and give him a punishment pass. He deserves it!

Who knows, maybe these car drivers believe you are breaking the law. Good samaritians they are??

If anyone on here believes endangering someones life with a vehicle is okay for any reason, I strongly oppose your view! :twisted:

Jesmol

Postby Jesmol » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:15 pm

softy wrote:Okay, all of the previous posts where a drive has endanger a cyclist, now a driver does the same thing to a car. It's okay.

Maybe if a bicycle is doing something wrong then you should get your car and give him a punishment pass. He deserves it!

Who knows, maybe these car drivers believe you are breaking the law. Good samaritians they are??

If anyone on here believes endangering someones life with a vehicle is okay for any reason, I strongly oppose your view! :twisted:
Nobody has said its OK, but its much much easier not to put yourself in a position where you don't antagonize someone by "holding them up", unless you were overtaking.

I drive up and down the South Eastern freeway daily here in Adelaide , and I reckon if they ever actually policed the keep left law , they may actually raise more money than the point to point camera installed on a 6 km downhill segment.

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:27 am

queequeg wrote:How timely:

https://m.police.nsw.gov.au/news_media_ ... w9MQ%3D%3D" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Almost 300 drivers detected not keeping left on major roads in state-wide traffic blitz
Thursday, 04 December 2014 02:20:37 PM

Almost 300 drivers were stopped for not keeping left on major roads as part of a one-day, state-wide traffic operation yesterday (Wednesday 3 December 2014).

Operation Compliance 5 targeted drivers for not-keep-left offences, mobile phone use, school zone offences and vehicle defects. It was conducted on major highways and suburban roads across the state.

Overall, 297 drivers received an infringement for not keeping left – which carries a fine of $311 and two demerit points.

Another 899 drivers were detected using mobile phones while driving; 713 were stopped for school-zone offences; and action was taken against 358 motorists with defective vehicles.

Traffic and Highway Patrol Commander, Assistant Commissioner John Hartley, said Operation Compliance targeted offences that risked the safety of all motorists.

“Not keeping left on our roads is a community issue that needs to be brought to the attention of all motorists. Driving well below the speed limit in the right lane can cause traffic build-up and result in unsafe and illegal overtaking manoeuvres,” he said.

“With 297 not-keep-left offences detected in one day, the message needs to be highlighted to keep left unless overtaking, to ensure the safety of all motorists.

“This operation also detected nearly 900 drivers on mobile phones and more than 700 committing school-zone offences, which is disappointing and dangerous.

“Police will continue to run these operations to ensure drivers who have become complacent are detected and brought to account for their actions, before being involved in a serious or deadly crash,” Assistant Commissioner Hartley said.
Now there is a nice little earn for the NSW police force to help pay a few bills.