Moron Motorists #3

Ross

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Ross » Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:09 pm

Canberra driver arrested for clocking up fines worth $21,000

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-new ... qh6p4.html
A 21-year-old Gilmore man charged with multiple vehicle offences including failing to stop for police while disqualified from driving has been refused bail.

Matthew Longmore appeared in the ACT Magistrates Court on Saturday charged with nine offences, with a police constable giving evidence that investigations were continuing into a further 21 offences suspected to involve the accused from July 24 onwards.

ACT Policing said the accused was wanted for notching up more than $21,000 worth of speeding fines, in an earlier media statement on Saturday.

The disqualified driver had been regularly placing road user's lives at risk by reaching speeds of up to 187 kilometres per hour on public roads, the media statement said, and police alleged his dangerous driving was "rapidly escalating", including attempts to engage in police pursuits.

Prosecutor Tom Buckingham told the court the defendant had an issue with authority, pointing to the alleged failures to stop when requested.

Each of the alleged offences were committed while the defendant was on a good behaviour order after his licence was suspended in December, Mr Buckingham said.

The defendant had also failed to appear at a court hearing on June 20, with Magistrate Glenn Theakston saying there was no evidence on the court file to support the duty defence lawyer's claim the accused had called the court on the day to say he could not attend.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:46 pm

Here's one from Thursday night.

I was on edge before the light went green: I had the trifecta: expensive flashy SUV, vanity plates, and sitting real close invading my buffer space at the rear.

Thought this guy was going to clip me when he merged.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:33 pm

caneye wrote:thanks for the support guys.

the remaining video is here, only a few more seconds.
I'm gathering 2 things from that video, please correct me if I'm wrong;
1. The offending driver was not concerned as to whether you were hurt or not
2. The accident resulted in a small dent in the fender
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

human909

Postby human909 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:57 am

TheShadow wrote:With the car I hit a year ago, if I'd had my hands down on the drops instead of on the hoods, I could have braked harder I'm sure. It would have made just enough difference to eliminate damage or injury. I was very frustrated the back wheel didn't lift up, not even towards the end. There is no time to get ready or move into position after a MM makes a move on you; you have to BE ready before you get near them 'cos you only have a few seconds to do something.
Exactly. Which is the reality of what it comes down to. In the drops you can brake hard, brace better and keep your body weight lower... Though I never intended to come across as nitpicking on braking/riding technique to caneye however we can always improve from every circumstance.

At the start of the week I had a MM/silly me situation... He didn't indicate and I timed myself to shoot through on the left when the lights went green... Then he indicated..... :? I lifted my rear wheel trying to stop, to his credit I think he paused for me. Either way I stopped in time but it was certainly the most serious stop I've done in a while....

Would have been more defensive of me never to even try to cut up the left hand side. By doing so at speed I wasn't leaving a whole lot of room for safety.
trailgumby wrote:Don't beat yourself up on the choice to hit the horn. Hindsight is always 20/20.
I disagree somewhat. You should self reflect on your choice. Learn for next time. In 20/20 hindsight you can see areas of improvement. Better to self reflect and improve than not to learn at all. Brake are almost always the first and best approach to a unexpected situation.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:32 am

human909 wrote:
trailgumby wrote:Don't beat yourself up on the choice to hit the horn. Hindsight is always 20/20.
I disagree somewhat. You should self reflect on your choice. Learn for next time. In 20/20 hindsight you can see areas of improvement. Better to self reflect and improve than not to learn at all. Brake are almost always the first and best approach to a unexpected situation.
Unfortunately horn first is a learned behaviour in our driving culture. Motorists are too obsessive about another doing 'the wrong thing' that they go for the horn rather than dealing with the situation by slowing down or swerving. We use our horn for 'get out of the way' not as the warning device it was intended. We are so ingrained in following the rules, that we get upset when someone doesn't conform. This also leads to punishment passes.

In my on road experience in India that incident would not have happened, it is expected that road users will not conform to the rules and they make adjustment to work around it (mostly). However, they follow so few of the rules it is overly chaotic as a result and results in plenty of incidents.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

westab

Postby westab » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:18 am

trailgumby wrote:Here's one from Thursday night.

I was on edge before the light went green: I had the trifecta: expensive flashy SUV, vanity plates, and sitting real close invading my buffer space at the rear.

Mate that is too close please report him - that it an unsafe lane change the law as it was explained to me by a highway patrol officer requires a car to not drive in the same lane as another vehicle on a laned road.

1m or not people need to educated what is safe.
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:59 am

westab wrote: Mate that is too close please report him - that it an unsafe lane change the law as it was explained to me by a highway patrol officer requires a car to not drive in the same lane as another vehicle on a laned road.

I will report him. I need to return to the site and take measurements.

Unfortunately Rule 144-2 specifically allows drivers to straddle lanes in exactly this situation by providing an exemption when passing bicycles. That puts riders' lives seriously at risk in my view and this aspect of the rule is actually less safe than the previous legislation.

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/ ... 144.2.html

It is not widely known, but the wording of Rule 144-1 (1) allows drivers to pass within 1m if passing on the left because it applies only when passing on the right of a bicycle. Situations where this can occur are on multi-lane roads where the rider is not in Lane 1, and where the rider is waiting to turn right at an intersection, to exit the road, or to enter a driveway. Less common but still risky for riders.

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/ ... 144.1.html

caneye

Postby caneye » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:34 pm

mikesbytes wrote:
spot on mate.
1) she did ask about my well-being later on .. but boy, she was utterly clueless.
2) i didn't look closely but i think there were 2 dents, both from the hoods. both of my hoods were pressed inwards towards the middle of the bar ..

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:12 am

caneye wrote:
mikesbytes wrote:
spot on mate.
1) she did ask about my well-being later on .. but boy, she was utterly clueless.
2) i didn't look closely but i think there were 2 dents, both from the hoods. both of my hoods were pressed inwards towards the middle of the bar ..
Didn't watch the second clip. One can hope that the dents serve as a reminder to watch for cyclists in the future and not that 'cursed cyclists don't watch where they are going'
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

thomashouseman

Postby thomashouseman » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:13 am

Dental work can be very expensive. Make sure you claim it!

westab

Postby westab » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:50 am

trailgumby wrote:
westab wrote: Mate that is too close please report him - that it an unsafe lane change the law as it was explained to me by a highway patrol officer requires a car to not drive in the same lane as another vehicle on a laned road.

I will report him. I need to return to the site and take measurements.

Unfortunately Rule 144-2 specifically allows drivers to straddle lanes in exactly this situation by providing an exemption when passing bicycles. That puts riders' lives seriously at risk in my view and this aspect of the rule is actually less safe than the previous legislation.

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/ ... 144.2.html

It is not widely known, but the wording of Rule 144-1 (1) allows drivers to pass within 1m if passing on the left because it applies only when passing on the right of a bicycle. Situations where this can occur are on multi-lane roads where the rider is not in Lane 1, and where the rider is waiting to turn right at an intersection, to exit the road, or to enter a driveway. Less common but still risky for riders.

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/ ... 144.1.html
Thanks Mate -you are right and this good to know - either way its not safe and it still frustrates the way that we as a community have so little empathy for each other (please note this includes me at times)
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

cp123

Postby cp123 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:34 am

mikesbytes wrote:
caneye wrote:thanks for the support guys.

the remaining video is here, only a few more seconds.

At a bare minimum - the driver should be coughing up to get your teeth fixed! :evil: and by the sound of it a few osteopath visits

sobmal

Postby sobmal » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:32 pm

trailgumby wrote:Here's one from Thursday night.

Its just this exact kind of thing that keeps me off that particular road for my commute during the peak, you are a much braver man than I, I hope your report of that moron gets some action.

I swear that I'm getting more nervous and cautious, just a couple years ago I'd happily chase (and often beat) cars down through the bends to the spit bridge.. I just couldn't do that these days.

As a cyclist I owe you big for waving the flag!

human909

Postby human909 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:35 pm

cp123 wrote:At a bare minimum - the driver should be coughing up to get your teeth fixed! :evil: and by the sound of it a few osteopath visits
Just a pet peeve of mine... I would suggest initially consulting a recognised evidence based medical professional rather than an osteopath. :wink:

(Out of "alternative" medices osteopathy probably is more science based than most. But it still is "alternative" medicine.)

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:38 pm

@sobmal: Which route do you take? Beauty Point or Parriwi Road?

I have to say the attitudes appear to be getting worse. It's happening more frequently. :( And the frequency appeasr to track in line with the amount of adverse media coverage. Channel 7 isn't helping.

sobmal

Postby sobmal » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:13 pm

trailgumby wrote:@sobmal: Which route do you take? Beauty Point or Parriwi Road?
On the way in, its Parriwi then over at top on the pedestrian crossing for the marked cycle route through to North Sydney, then Beauty Point (a couple more hills) on the way home through to the park bike path to the spit bridge.

The bad driving seems to be seasonal, my biggest issues of late have been on the parkway when drivers just don't give a crap and pass at speed hogging the fog line, I reported a state bus via their complaints page a little while back.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:15 pm

Here's one celebrating the end of financial year a month ago

Apologies for NSFW language

BianchiCam

Postby BianchiCam » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:29 pm

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:09 am

Duncan Gay will no doubt be cheering the actions of this truck driver:

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/cyclist-takes ... qimst.html

Disgraceful.

TheWall

Postby TheWall » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:49 am

Not sure where to post this one.

Went for a ride Sunday evening and was Punishment Passed by a tradie ute with business decals "plumbed" all over it. Pondered a Police report but decided to give the owner a call yesterday...and it turned out well!

Owner took it seriously, knowing all about the safe passing rules, stating he coffees with cyclists most mornings as he services cafes. He promised he would track down the driver (he has 5 Utes and I did not even need to give rego just time and place as he said he would talk to all of his crew).

15 mins later I got a message from a sheepish sounding young lad and then 10 mins later again he got hold of me and he very sincerely apologised, claiming he did not realise he was so close and to not knowing the safe passing rules. The lad claimed his mum cycles and I asked him if he would have done the same if it was his mum...and that stuck him a little as he struggled for an answer before saying "yeah, no, you are right there..."

Kudos to the plumbing firm for a great response (they did not even know I had very clear Fly12 footage) and I think I may ask them to help out on my next plumbing job!

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:03 am

That's awesome wall!! Excellent work all round including the owner.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:47 am

g-boaf wrote:Duncan Gay will no doubt be cheering the actions of this truck driver:

Disgraceful.
Duncan was likely driving one of his trucks. Pity no video from any of the cyclists to capture rego.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:41 am

biker jk wrote:
g-boaf wrote:Duncan Gay will no doubt be cheering the actions of this truck driver:

Disgraceful.
Duncan was likely driving one of his trucks. Pity no video from any of the cyclists to capture rego.
Video from the cyclists and a fine for using a mobile device while driving would have been great revenge, served cold too.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:40 am

biker jk wrote:Hits and kills cyclist and then runs. Found guilty (note judge only trial). Surely she must go to gaol for at least a few years (five would be good)?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-17/s ... ng/7423106
Now on appeal
Victor Harbor hit-and-run driver Samantha Farrer launches appeal
Rebecca Opie ABC wrote: A woman found guilty of a fatal hit-and-run collision that killed a cyclist at Victor Harbor in 2013 has lodged an appeal against her conviction.

The court previously heard Samantha Farrer was driving under the influence of methylamphetamine with little or no sleep and she had told a passenger she hit a sign or a fruit stall.

The crash killed Kathleen Heraghty who was cycling along Inman Valley Road, south of Adelaide, on December 27.

Farrer was found guilty of an aggravated charge of causing death by dangerous driving and leaving an accident scene after causing death.

She is the ex-girlfriend of former fugitive Rodney Clavell, who died during a police siege in Adelaide in 2014.

The matter will be heard in the full court of the Supreme Court at a later date.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

BianchiCam

Postby BianchiCam » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:57 am

So after advice (you know who your are and thanks). It looks like I need to take this a little further.