Moron Motorists #3

BJL

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby BJL » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:32 am

P!N20 wrote:
BJL wrote:What do you expect cyclists to do?
Keep calm? Politely telling the driver that driving while on the phone is illegal as opposed to kicking the car and yelling at the driver would go a long way to gain us some respect on the roads.
yeah and how far has 'keep calm' gotten us? Motorists are putting the lives of cyclists at risk. What do I have to do to get that through your thick heads around here? It's NO different than if they'd put a gun to your head. And it shouldn't be treated any different.

And tell me, what do you mean by 'respect' on the roads? I couldn't care less if motorists 'respect' me as cyclist on the roads. Why on earth would I strive for respect from a bunch of law breaking scumbags that kill others without a second thought? I don't WANT their respect. Whether they respect me or not is irrelevant. They can hate my guts for all I care.I want them to share the roads in a safe matter, even if it has to be beaten into them.

SO WHAT if he kicked her car. If the police had ANY sense of decency, they would fine the women for using her phone while driving, take away her license for a year or two (and to get it back, it should be go through the whole learner/probationary process, not just 'here you go, go kill someone else now') and tell her to !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! over the car because she got what she deserved. It's only a car. I find it rather strange on a cycling forum for people to be valuing a bloody motor vehicle over a person's life. It doesn't seem to register to any of youthe fact that the cyclist had his life put in danger. You're all more concerned about the car. Well, well done to you lot. And you call the cyclist a moron.

You just don't get it. Motorists are more concerned about their cars than the lives of others. Start making them pay and you might find they start to toe the line. Whilst they can get away with murder, then that's what you'll get. In the meantime, you lot can go tip toeing through the Tulips until the cows come home waiting for the fairy godmother to save you all.

silentC

Postby silentC » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:56 am

Wow that's a lot of anger there mate! Seriously, you don't want to be out on the road in that state of mind.

I think anyone here who has spent any time at all riding on the roads fully understands where you are coming from. But lashing out at people is not going to get you anywhere. Look at how that guy got EVERYONE off side. Even the hipster dude who tried to calm things down copped a serve. And you are getting nowhere if you start having a go at a cop.

Like Bychosis said, way too much aggro, and that is coming from someone who has been known to chase down motorists to have a go. But I usually reserve that for when they have actually almost caused me harm. The incident on the video is nothing that warranted what followed. He's probably lucky he didn't get a thump in the mouth from the big guy. That might have been his Mum!
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:06 am

BJL wrote:
yeah and how far has 'keep calm' gotten us? Motorists are putting the lives of cyclists at risk. What do I have to do to get that through your thick heads around here? It's NO different than if they'd put a gun to your head. And it shouldn't be treated any different.

And tell me, what do you mean by 'respect' on the roads? I couldn't care less if motorists 'respect' me as cyclist on the roads. Why on earth would I strive for respect from a bunch of law breaking scumbags that kill others without a second thought? I don't WANT their respect. Whether they respect me or not is irrelevant. They can hate my guts for all I care.I want them to share the roads in a safe matter, even if it has to be beaten into them.

SO WHAT if he kicked her car. If the police had ANY sense of decency, they would fine the women for using her phone while driving, take away her license for a year or two (and to get it back, it should be go through the whole learner/probationary process, not just 'here you go, go kill someone else now') and tell her to !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! over the car because she got what she deserved. It's only a car. I find it rather strange on a cycling forum for people to be valuing a bloody motor vehicle over a person's life. It doesn't seem to register to any of youthe fact that the cyclist had his life put in danger. You're all more concerned about the car. Well, well done to you lot. And you call the cyclist a moron.

You just don't get it. Motorists are more concerned about their cars than the lives of others. Start making them pay and you might find they start to toe the line. Whilst they can get away with murder, then that's what you'll get. In the meantime, you lot can go tip toeing through the Tulips until the cows come home waiting for the fairy godmother to save you all.
Were you the guy in the video?

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:07 am

Considering where that was, old mate is lucky (or maybe he's smart, or just didn't care) there wasn't a few, large sympathetic types looking on.

I kinda agree with BJL, but sure as hell I wouldn't be supplying the film and being interviewed about it. :lol:

As an aside, I loathe....absolutely loathe....characters that scream "I'm filming, I'm filming". Last one did that to me had there stupid iphone tossed down a drain. Not because they were filming....big deal, I don't care. Because they were claiming some sort of invisble barrier to consequences. Here, film those consequences!

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:16 pm

jasonc wrote:Had a bus half change into my lane. I was able to put my hand on the bus. I have video. Will look at it tomorrow

about to submit a hoon on line case.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:31 pm

Mod Reminder: Please be respectful and challenge the issue/topic rather than the person. This provides a much better opportunity to participate.
Cycling is in my BNA

BJL

Postby BJL » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:43 pm

P!N20 wrote:
Were you the guy in the video?
No, lol. But if someone deliberately tries to run me off the road or puts my life at risk, they'd better make sure I don't catch up with them. :evil:

But I warned you all on here a while ago what will happen if the authorities do not fulfill their duty in taking all reasonable steps to ensure the security and safety of citizens. If the authorities won't do what they're elected to do, what they're paid to do, then people have every right to defend themselves and defend themselves they will. The ONLY thing that surprises me about this is that it hasn't happened sooner.

You think that cyclists are the only victims in this country. Mate, one day some idiot APEX gang members will rob the wrong person and before they know it, out will come a gun and bang, they're dead. And no doubt, the dead gang member's family and friends will all come out and say what a good kid he was, never did anything wrong, didn't deserve this and died too young, blah blah blah. And then demand justice!

And how does anyone here know what was going through the mind of the cyclist. For all any of us know, he might have been involved in a past incident involving a motorist using a mobile phone whilst driving. This might have the the final straw in a long series of near misses for this bloke. And who knows? By stopping this idiot and kicking her car, he might have saved someone's life. He might have even saved hers. This bloke should be applauded for doing what the police won't.

Australian of the year for me.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:04 pm

The problem is that if we do something to the offender or their property then that makes us a vigilante, its up to the Police to enforce the law and to issue the fine rather than us to provide the punishment.

Now I'm wondering what would happen if we submitted video of someone using their mobile phone illegally? Would it suffer the fate as the 1mtr submissions
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:28 pm

jasonc wrote:
jasonc wrote:Had a bus half change into my lane. I was able to put my hand on the bus. I have video. Will look at it tomorrow

Are those buses equipped like this one? :twisted:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

battler2

Postby battler2 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:38 am

BJL believe me, i'd love to do most of what you're saying but there's a number of reasons why you need to remain relatively calm and intelligent in any situation.

- accountability: a lot of cars have dashcams and witnesses can start recording from their phone within seconds. high res and easy to get details of a person if it goes viral. your workmates, old acquaintances, high school etc. will ALL recognise you and i guarantee you at least one of them HATES cyclists and probably hates you too for no valid reason at all.

- the impact on cyclists reputation: there's enough videos out there of cyclists mouthing off and exaggerating the situation and it NEVER goes down well with the community. 99% of comments, even when the cyclist was absolutely not at fault, are anti-cyclist and full of hatred. just don't add to it. just read the comments on dashcam and police pages whenever a cyclist is involved. it's basically people encouraging murder. you can't do anything because aside from fake profiles, you just get ganged up on even if you bother to set them straight. better off trolling them for kicks.

- consequences for YOU: fines, going to court etc. getting arrested. has worse repercussions later on. getting a job, travelling to countries that require declarations (eg. USA with visa waiver). promotions, your own reputation within your company. hell, you would be labelled as the office psycho, and all of a sudden when they decide not to renew your contract and give you a bs reason (budget cuts etc.) you're out of a job. even if you get another, it could cost you thousands. remember, just about EVERYONE hates lycra wearing cyclists. even the hypocrites that claim to ride and own bikes of their own. it's all '3 abreast' and 'running red lights' in their mind.

- nothing happens with police: nothing meaningful anyway. it's all just a waste of time. metre laws? they usually just issue warnings or have a chat. driver feigns remorse and no further action is taken. make a video of someone driving with a mobile. cops usually don't act on it. they can lose if someone decides to contest in court and it's frankly not worth the courts time.

- sometimes you can get it wrong: last few days i got beeped at going downhill. i heard the wheels spin of a commodore behind me before that. i thought (and was sure) he was beeping at me. i got him to wind down the window and asked "why'd you beep at me". fully expecting abuse and getting ready to give it back. his reason: i was beeping at a mate. could've been a pedestrian, or car in other direction. i didn't see. and couldn't say for sure. if i abused him. the abuse could have been misplaced and just ended up making me look like a fool.

honestly, i didnt even watch the video. i'm tired of people giving us a bad name because they push it too far. oh, and the kind of good samaritan videos where the cyclist educates the driver. nobody gives a toss about and they don't get the youtube views so you might make $0.05 off it. hardly worth the effort.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:04 am

The cyclists reaction MAY have been warranted if the driver had close passed and tossed something out the window, or stopped behind him, then moved forward and rammed him, or something equally dangerous and deliberate. However, the car didn't pull out, didn't appear to move despite indicating it was going to move out. The reaction didn't fit the infraction.

A couple of days ago I passed cyclist on the shoulder area while driving. He was well off the fog line, but just as I passed he moved to the fog line and encroached the 1.5m safety zone (80kmh) and I couldn't move further right in the lane due to traffic. If the cyclist has chased me down and gone off like the idiot in the video it would have been a massive overreaction. There was no contact, I was as far right as safe in my lane and he has moved closer to the vehilce lanes just at the wrong time. It sounds as though BJL might have thought it warranted based on his comments to the video.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

silentC

Postby silentC » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:23 am

For all any of us know, he might have been involved in a past incident involving a motorist using a mobile phone whilst driving
A hypothetical earlier incident is the only explanation I can think of for the over the top reaction. He needs to take a break from it. Riding around in such a highly agitated state is neither good for his health nor his safety.
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:25 pm

jasonc wrote:

Totally unnecessary on his part - half across the lane when his was empty. Why not pass you and THEN change lanes? :roll:

[nosey mode]What were you doing over that part of town?[/nosey mode]
Veloviewer

MS-DOS Phone. For when you want it done right.

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:29 pm

westab wrote:
GeoffInBrisbane wrote:
redned wrote:
It looks like he was trying to squeeze into the left hand lane by obstructing the cycle lane. LHL wasn't going anywhere anyway!
That's exactly what he was doing. Couldn't possibly have a gap to the car in front! When he moved across all the other traffic was stationary so it's not like he was caught out by a sudden stop...just MGTF.
Geoff - that's one low act - you did well to not react. I had one like this a couple of years ago near my home. Complete fool stops across the shared path lane at an entrance to the parkland I ride through every day; blocking me from moving and then gives me a mouthful about rego, etc.... blah....blah... Well for once I just can't be bothered saying a word as I know he will go in 10 seconds or so. My "mate" who I see doing his morning run (most the time) he is blocked too but coming the other direction.

He is not so patient - he continues across the "crossing" (ie bonnet) leaving size 20 permanent footprints as a reminder that it was so smart. We both smiled - driver moved on. The driver might have been keen to take the cyclist on but the 6 ft 5" (both height and shoulder width) islander friend - not so much.

One of my neighbors who follows rugby league told me later that he was one of the first grade players from a particular club; he was always just a friendly smile and wave guy out for a jog to me. At the time I was glad that I didn't hear of him getting into trouble - like some have been known to do. I would have been happy to contact the club if he had.
Hahahaha great story!

As for the bloke in the golf, I doubt it was deliberate, it was just a complete lack of thinking...
Veloviewer

MS-DOS Phone. For when you want it done right.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:57 pm

GeoffInBrisbane wrote: [nosey mode]What were you doing over that part of town?[/nosey mode]
Work has moved. Boundary St is the safest way out

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:18 pm

Riding around some back streets this afternoon, I'm doing a left turn at slow speed quite close to the kerb, only to be confronted by a car almost head on! :shock: :evil:

Little SUV taking the 'racing' line because he couldn't handle going at a sensible slow speed. He had to swerve very suddenly.

Scott No Mates

Postby Scott No Mates » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:30 pm

g-boaf wrote: Little SUV taking the 'racing' line because he couldn't handle going at a sensible slow speed. He had to swerve very suddenly.
Found one of those as well on a very quiet back street just as I was setting off.

Then plenty of others blissfully looking only to their left not both ways.
I really should take up cycling!

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:13 pm

do i bother reporting it?

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:50 pm

OK, setting myself up here.

No, as (1) it wasn't that close, and (2) you were riding 2 abreast (legally), but with wide spacing, so were not making it easy.

Whilst I don't like close passes, that wasn't imho, a close one. Closer than it needed to be, yes, but not close.

I also think that just because us cyclists can legally ride 2 abreast, we don't always need to and need to think about when it's done, regardless of how many lanes are available.

Fire away if you wish :)

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:59 pm

I disagree with some of the things you said. At this stage, unless someone convinces me otherwise, I won't be reporting it

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:25 pm

Don't reckon you'll get much love from the Jacks on that one. Yeah, a bit close but not too much of a sphincter clencher.
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

tallywhacker

Postby tallywhacker » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:36 pm

had this on the way home this evening. What you can't see or hear in the video is he started blasting his horn and that it was close to start off but then the moron started cutting in after his cab was in front of me. I only included the bus at the start as the correct way to pass (it quite surprised me as buses along Alexander Drive generally give me the same treatment as the truck)

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:20 am

jasonc wrote:I disagree with some of the things you said. ....
What things out of interest ? I guess we all have different tolerances :)

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:58 am

MichaelB wrote:
jasonc wrote:I disagree with some of the things you said. ....
What things out of interest ? I guess we all have different tolerances :)
Personally, I would disagree that they were widely spaced, the law allows up to 1.5m between riders (measured between the outer extremes of the riders, i.e. elbow to elbow or shoulder to shoulder) for which my 'rule of thumb' measurement is 'could the riders touch hands with arms extended.' From the still I would estimate the distance between riders as much closer to 1m than the legal maximum of 1.5m.

I don't like riding much closer in than 1m because (as a big guy) I can't give a legal hand signal with less than 80cm clearance without hitting the next rider over (hand signals require the arm to be fully extended and I have long arms).

I would also strongly disagree with the suggestion that groups shouldn't be paired up when riding on multi-lane roads (at least when the traffic is as light as it is here) as my experience is that you get much better vehicle behaviour when you are as wide as a car and that when drivers see a single cyclist at the end of a long line they will commence overtaking without thinking about where the lead cyclist is and how far the lead cyclist will travel before the overtake is complete which ends up with dangerous situations like cars being in the middle of an 'in the lane' overtake as the group goes through a roundabout or other pinch point.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:35 am

(AT) Scott_C - thanks for that. Whilst I respect the fact that we are allowed to ride two abreast and at a certain spacing, my point is that we do not have to , and at times should consider whether it's the better thing to do by riding in single file.

Sure it's nice to talk to your mate on a ride, but that can also be done at the coffee stop. I've seen too many occasions of the two abreast being done in the wrong space (going up hill for example ..), so thing discretion is the better part of valour.

Meh, good to have a sensible discussion. 8)