Moron Motorists #3

London Boy

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby London Boy » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:39 pm

yugyug wrote:Still, maybe just let the air out? That can still be a hassle, though belligerent OAP drivers tend to wear their NRMA membership like a war medal.
Remove the valve cores. Easy done, just needs a wee gadget that takes up no space in your pocket.

spirro

Postby spirro » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:40 am

I'm going a reasonable speed down this hill but this impatient VW driver is determined to get passed me. Notices a traffic island ahead and has to slow down suddenly to avoid hitting it. If only they waited 5 more seconds they could have passed me safely.

Focus Cayo Evo 2.0 2014

TheWall

Postby TheWall » Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:40 pm

^^ whilst a tad silly, and certainly preventable if they just looked a little further ahead this is not quite MM status.

That is reserved for the ones who go ahead with move despite the changing conditions from when 1st committed to the move. They gave you some width to on the pass as well.

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:07 pm

London Boy wrote:
yugyug wrote:Still, maybe just let the air out? That can still be a hassle, though belligerent OAP drivers tend to wear their NRMA membership like a war medal.
Remove the valve cores. Easy done, just needs a wee gadget that takes up no space in your pocket.
Or... Remove valve cap, insert small stone, replace valve cap.

This leaves you long gone by the time that the tyre is flat enough to notice.

:wink:

Cheers,

Cameron

HiChris

Postby HiChris » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:37 pm

I was an NRMA road service guy about 30 years back, used to carry a box of valve cores in my van, was a common thing to turn up to a job and all 4 were missing. Always wondered what they done to someone to suffer that fate.

mmc22

Postby mmc22 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:36 am

Moto rider decided I had to get out of his way. His reasoning "you don't have a motor"
Suggested he'd learn the law and the 1m safe distance passing rule. Also suggested he accompany me to the Police station which can be seen to the right of screen if he wanted to take it any further.
I also pointed out he was on camera and he asked if there was audio. There is but you can only just hear us talking if it's turned right up.

I'd say he was less than 20cm from me. As there's no number plate on the front of the bike... not much I can do. Number plate starts with a 945 i think, but couldn't make out the rest as i allowed him to pass before i moved up... for my own safety.

Thought i'd get more understanding from motos... I guess not.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:22 pm

a car turned right while I was going straight along a T-intersection. I think she was surprised and sheepish when I pulled up along side her at about 50km/h. She wouldn't look at me

yugyug

Postby yugyug » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:00 pm

mmc22 wrote: Thought i'd get more understanding from motos... I guess not.
Good on you for telling him straight. Motorbike riders have been giving me some grief too in the last month or so.

It's a pretty bad indication of how poor our licensing programs are when even motorbike riders, whose training and licensing is tougher than that for car drivers, still don't know the rules and best practice for cyclists on the road.

RedlandSteve

Postby RedlandSteve » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:51 pm

Some candidates over the last couple of months...

^(cross-posted to dumb cyclists thread as I didn't need to make the overtake http://bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic ... 0#p1240247" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)^

spirro

Postby spirro » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:20 pm

I nearly got doored this morning

Focus Cayo Evo 2.0 2014

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:52 pm

spirro wrote:I nearly got doored this morning

Don't ever ride in the door zone. Take the lane. Your life is more important than slowing car for 10 seconds.

spirro

Postby spirro » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:38 pm

biker jk wrote:Don't ever ride in the door zone. Take the lane. Your life is more important than slowing car for 10 seconds.
The road is usually bumper to bumper with cars during peak time, and the bike lane is always full of parked cars. There's a school on this road also. I usually try to keep my distance from the parked cars but it's hard when you're sandwiched between moving cars and parked cars. Most cyclists on this road stay on the edge of the bike lane.
Focus Cayo Evo 2.0 2014

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:20 pm

spirro wrote:
biker jk wrote:Don't ever ride in the door zone. Take the lane. Your life is more important than slowing car for 10 seconds.
The road is usually bumper to bumper with cars during peak time, and the bike lane is always full of parked cars. There's a school on this road also. I usually try to keep my distance from the parked cars but it's hard when you're sandwiched between moving cars and parked cars. Most cyclists on this road stay on the edge of the bike lane.

It looks like the council has painted a nice new looking yellow bicycle in the middle of the traffic lane. If you ride over the crankset of that you will be much safer for that stretch. You can't be accused of holding up the other traffic if that 10s clip is typical for the conditions.

Cheers,

Cameron

dmwill

Postby dmwill » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:53 pm

RedlandSteve wrote:Some candidates over the last couple of months...

What gives this guy greater MM status is the AMG badge he has stuck on a non-AMG model.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:27 am

Me versus white van man today... I entered the one lane bridge ten seconds before he did. He didn't slow down so I took off his wing mirror with my elbow. C'est la vie.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:32 am

toolonglegs wrote:Me versus white van man today... I entered the one lane bridge ten seconds before he did. He didn't slow down so I took off his wing mirror with my elbow. C'est la vie.
Its ok, he doesn't use the mirrors anyway :)
Anything you can do, I can do slower

Bentnose

Postby Bentnose » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:50 am

Had a bunch of idiots overtake me in a Landcruiser ute sound the very loud airhorn as they went past then threw a bottle out of the window to smash on the ground in front of me, thankfully most of the glass ended up on the other side of the road.This was just minutes after somebody passed me on the same road and missed me by about 3 inches, this was Doctors Gully/Bridge Inn Roads in Doreen.
No signature

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:19 am

spirro wrote:
That IS NOT a bike lane. It is the road shoulder and you do not need to use it, you are enititled to ride on the road itself. Do not ride in the door zone unless you are doing 10kmh. If you "only" do it when there are cars overtaking that is the worst time to do it, as they will run over your already broken body when it is thrown in front of their vehicle and they can't stop in time.

For your own safety, dont do it, please.

See the yellow bicycle, ride on that. If you get abuse just point at it.

RedlandSteve

Postby RedlandSteve » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:22 am

InTheWoods wrote:
spirro wrote:
That IS NOT a bike lane. It is the road shoulder and you do not need to use it, you are enititled to ride on the road itself. Do not ride in the door zone unless you are doing 10kmh. If you "only" do it when there are cars overtaking that is the worst time to do it, as they will run over your already broken body when it is thrown in front of their vehicle and they can't stop in time.

For your own safety, dont do it, please.

See the yellow bicycle, ride on that. If you get abuse just point at it.
Whether a bike lane or not (it is not), bike lane use has been totally optional in Qld as of 1 Jan 15. http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Safety/Queens ... rules.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cyclists in bicycle lanes

From 1 January 2015, a cyclist is able to choose whether or not they wish to ride in a bicycle lane where 1 is provided. The lane is there if they wish to use it but they will not be obliged to use it.

This change is consistent with the rules for other special purpose lanes (for example, buses do not have to use bus lanes and drivers do not have to use transit lanes). It will take away an unnecessary limitation on cyclists using the road as legitimate road users.
If it is not safe do not use it. No problems.

simlin

Postby simlin » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:29 am

That is fine for QLD. The law in SA still is that if a bicycle lane is present you must ride fully within it...unless it is unsafe to do so...which fully applies if it puts you in the door zone in my opinion. Take the lane.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:03 am

Bentnose wrote:Had a bunch of idiots overtake me in a Landcruiser ute sound the very loud airhorn as they went past then threw a bottle out of the window to smash on the ground in front of me, thankfully most of the glass ended up on the other side of the road.
had a similar type of vehicle (dull grey Landy ute or similar) driving on the other side of divided road in Doncaster yesterday evening. we were on a bunch ride waiting in service lane for stragglers - stationary. bogan spots us from way over on the other side of the road and gets on the horn and gives us the finger. i imagine they think they are doing a community service, in their own special way :roll:

spirro

Postby spirro » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:01 pm

biker jk wrote:
spirro wrote:I nearly got doored this morning

Don't ever ride in the door zone. Take the lane. Your life is more important than slowing car for 10 seconds.
So to clarify something with this video. At the beginning of the video you see the bike symbol is on the line where the shoulder starts, then where the dooring nearly occurred, the symbol is in the middle of the lane, then once I pass the parked cars, the symbol moves back onto the line near the shoulder.

So what's the go with that? Is it a bike lane, then not a bike lane around the parked cars, then becomes a bike lane again?
Focus Cayo Evo 2.0 2014

RedlandSteve

Postby RedlandSteve » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:51 pm

It is a farcical situation. For a bicycle lane to be in effect, a painted marking of a bicycle symbol is not enough. It is a marked lane that is started by either a sign or white road marking with both the bicycle symbol and the word "Lane". There is another set of conditions for when they end as well.

What you encountered in the footage was bicycle awareness zone markings. Suppose to create "awareness" of bicycles and/or to mark out a preferred (often unsafe) path for a rider to take. There is no legal effect. The BAZ do not indicate that there is a special purpose lane for bicycles to use.

TrikeTragic

Postby TrikeTragic » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:43 pm

Bentnose wrote:Had a bunch of idiots overtake me in a Landcruiser ute sound the very loud airhorn as they went past then threw a bottle out of the window to smash on the ground in front of me, thankfully most of the glass ended up on the other side of the road.This was just minutes after somebody passed me on the same road and missed me by about 3 inches, this was Doctors Gully/Bridge Inn Roads in Doreen.
We breed 'em good 'ere in the north, maaaate. :?
Alan
BentCyclist

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:21 pm

dmwill wrote:
RedlandSteve wrote:Some candidates over the last couple of months...

What gives this guy greater MM status is the AMG badge he has stuck on a non-AMG model.
Ahahaha first thing I thought too!
Veloviewer

MS-DOS Phone. For when you want it done right.