Moron Motorists #3

pj

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby pj » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:07 am

mikesbytes wrote:
pj wrote:
find_bruce wrote: BUT - that particular path, along Bourke Rd, is an abomination that should not have been built. Part of the problem is the gaps in protection, but more fundamentally is the large number of driveways crossing the path, including heavy vehicles & every crossing is an uncontrolled intersection in which looking for cyclists before crossing, let alone giving way, is the exception rather than the rule.
Totally agree, it's often safer to take your chances on the road.

Cops were out patrolling it on Thursday, assume they were checking for bells........ :D

Is that the spot where the truck unloads on the bike path?
Yes that's the spot, you can just about see the scrap yard sign to the left of the rear cop.

Would be could if that's the reason they were out cruising but I'm a bit of a sceptic.

duncanm

Postby duncanm » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:51 am

human909 wrote:
find_bruce wrote:Bidirectional paths can work well & were responsible for a significant uptake in cycling, particularly from females, WHEN they are properly protected.
Agreed and recognised. But the effect you describe could be readily gained from non bidirectional paths without the safety concerns.
find_bruce wrote:This is especially true when there is a row of parked cars - it is less likely for a cyclist to get doored because they are riding towards the person opening the door and if they do, it is less likely to injure. The best ones are in the inner city where there are few if any driveways crossing the path.
Again agreed. But still inferior and against best practice to single directional paths on the correct side of the road.

If you are going to go to the very significant expense of putting in sepparated infrastructure why continue with what is recognised to be a dangerous exercise.
exactly. There are so many reasons not building that sort of infrastructure is better than building it.
- its a complete waste of money
- motorists expect you to use it, not the road
- it is unsafe
- no more infrastructure will be built near that location, 'because there's already a bike route'

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:40 pm

pj wrote:
mikesbytes wrote:
pj wrote:
Totally agree, it's often safer to take your chances on the road.

Cops were out patrolling it on Thursday, assume they were checking for bells........ :D

Is that the spot where the truck unloads on the bike path?
Yes that's the spot, you can just about see the scrap yard sign to the left of the rear cop.

Would be could if that's the reason they were out cruising but I'm a bit of a sceptic.
They were probably on the way to the Doughnut shop near the domestic terminal. Cycling to make it calorie neutral
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:43 pm

anthbear wrote:
It's a little scary out there at times, too many people don't give a rat's about bike riders and too many texting whilst driving.
Agreed.
It is now ubiquitous. I see it every time I drive a vehicle and quite often when I ride a bike. :evil:
Needs to be a mandatory licence suspension, given how extremely dangerous it is.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:13 pm

warthog1 wrote:
anthbear wrote:
It's a little scary out there at times, too many people don't give a rat's about bike riders and too many texting whilst driving.
Agreed.
It is now ubiquitous. I see it every time I drive a vehicle and quite often when I ride a bike. :evil:
Needs to be a mandatory licence suspension, given how extremely dangerous it is.
Yep. Same as drink driving

pj

Postby pj » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:30 am

mikesbytes wrote: They were probably on the way to the Doughnut shop near the domestic terminal. Cycling to make it calorie neutral
That's awesome :lol:

Tamiya

Postby Tamiya » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:36 am

pj wrote: Cops were out patrolling it on Thursday, assume they were checking for bells........ :D

how come noone ever rides dressed like a copper on a bike... Hmm... :twisted: :)

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:28 pm

The driver hasn't be charged as he said he didn't see the house [only kidding]

https://www.theage.com.au/national/vict ... 50dv7.html

Note: it was the vehicle that lost control, not the motorist
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

pj

Postby pj » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:11 pm

Tamiya wrote:
pj wrote: Cops were out patrolling it on Thursday, assume they were checking for bells........ :D

how come noone ever rides dressed like a copper on a bike... Hmm... :twisted: :)
Good idea might reduce close passing :P

Ross

Postby Ross » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:22 pm

Rode 240km last Sunday and 140km this Sunday and pleased to report no MM. There were a couple of guys in V8 Landcruisers going a bit fast going the other way but as they didn't interfere/interact with me I don't count them as a MM.

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:19 pm

Tamiya wrote:

Most likely because that's the one practice guaranteed to make the police even more anti-cyclist than they already are? Pretend to be a police officer and the actual police officers won't be too happy with you.

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby antigee » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:04 pm

my understanding absolutely legal parking (Victoria) ...... :shock:

(Park Rd, Donvale)

murbul

Postby murbul » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:28 pm

antigee wrote:my understanding absolutely legal parking (Victoria) ...... :shock:

(Park Rd, Donvale)
Maybe this?

0785 Stopped - obstruct access from a bicycle path 198(1) - $97

http://classic.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/ ... /s198.html

antigee

Postby antigee » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:16 pm

murbul wrote:
antigee wrote:my understanding absolutely legal parking (Victoria) ...... :shock:

(Park Rd, Donvale)
Maybe this?

0785 Stopped - obstruct access from a bicycle path 198(1) - $97

http://classic.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/ ... /s198.html
rookie error - checked the shortened vicroads interpretation of the road rules - which says:

"You are not allowed to park, stop or leave your vehicle.............across a footpath, bicycle path or passageway or footpath ramp, unless a sign allows it.." https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/safety- ... -park-here

whilst the actual road rule quoted by murbal includes "A driver must not stop on a road in a position that obstructs access by vehicles or pedestrians to or from a footpath ramp or a similar way of access to a footpath, or a bicycle path which seems a bit more specific on access to/from a bicycle path .... (underscores added) the shortened version manages to miss out bicycle path :?

pj

Postby pj » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:39 pm

Pushy driver following too closely.....

My microphone is terrible so you can't hear the driver but she apologises and says they don't have these in the Northern Territory, not sure if she was referring to the concrete refuge island she clipped or my bike?

They must not use indicators in the Northern Territory either ;-)

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:24 am

(Park Rd, Donvale)
Have this cards printed and put it under the windscreen wipers?Image
ps, I don't recommend keying the car.
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:16 pm

People react better to help than aggression "Mate you might want to park your car somewhere else - lots of cyclists use this lane & it would be a shame if your car got scratched as they tried to get past."
Anything you can do, I can do slower

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:17 pm

then this one is interesting. Thrifty hire car will be getting a communication shortly

human909

Postby human909 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:36 pm

jasonc wrote:then this one is interesting. Thrifty hire car will be getting a communication shortly
Could you get a more blatant MGIF? That driver decided he had an issue with you before he even got on the road.

pj

Postby pj » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:37 pm

jasonc wrote: then this one is interesting. Thrifty hire car will be getting a communication shortly
What the hell is going on here? They drove down the wrong side of the road to try and get in front, then for some reason they have decided to do a u turn and go back in the opposite direction? :?:

uart

Postby uart » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:00 am

jasonc wrote: then this one is interesting. Thrifty hire car will be getting a communication shortly
Hi Jason, I'm also wondering what was going on with that Mr Thrifty car video. It appears that he comes up the wrong side of the road (from a business on the other side?). Sees you and immediately sets his sights on running you off the road and verbally abusing you (though I can't quite make out all he says).

Was there anything prior to this? Can you let us know what was going on there.

human909

Postby human909 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:29 am

uart wrote:Was there anything prior to this? Can you let us know what was going on there.
I think the whole thing was sparked off by the fact that the jasonc wasn't riding in the cycle lane. Red flag to a bull for an avid Courier Mail reader. The motorist incensed by seeing this thought it be best to teach the cyclist a lesson. :roll:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:43 am

Uart - driver pulled out of drive way of business didn't really want to give way. I'm turning right in 50m. No use using the bike lane.

antigee

Postby antigee » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:50 am

human909 wrote:
uart wrote:Was there anything prior to this? Can you let us know what was going on there.
I think the whole thing was sparked off by the fact that the jasonc wasn't riding in the cycle lane. Red flag to a bull for an avid Courier Mail reader. The motorist incensed by seeing this thought it be best to teach the cyclist a lesson. :roll:
reckon standard "i've got a job to do, mate" manoeuvre just moving car to park it at the vacant lot ?

would have been pretty close to the ped' if jasonc wasn't in the way :shock:

uart

Postby uart » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:33 pm

jasonc wrote:Uart - driver pulled out of drive way of business didn't really want to give way. I'm turning right in 50m. No use using the bike lane.
Yeah mate, I saw on the video that you were turning right there. :)

So basically this guy is just outraged because you are there, no other reason. Unbelievable! :x