Moron Motorists #3

silentC

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby silentC » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:10 pm

Not my vid:

"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

uart

Postby uart » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:21 pm

silentC wrote:Not my vid:

FFS that was close! :shock:

Do you know what state that was in? Surely if it's somewhere with minimum passing distance laws then the police would act on that?

silentC

Postby silentC » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:33 pm

Yes it is not far from where I live (NSW). It is an 80 zone so minimum passing distance is 1.5m.

I told them they should report it but not much I can do since I wasn't there. We have to start reporting these things, especially if there is video. You get those passes around here every so often and it's only a matter of time before someone gets collected. Unfortunately there is a lot of animosity amongst motorists who live and travel on that road and if someone does get skittled, they will just all chant 'told you so'.
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

Ross

Postby Ross » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:33 pm

Woman allegedly crashes car while seven times the legal limit

Strange language by the newspaper, headline should read "Woman crashes car while allegedly seven times the legal limit." There is no doubting that she crashed the car (the car isn't a self-driving one and didn't crash itself... :roll: ), the only "doubt" or bit that needs proving is the BAC. :idea:

Then there is the bit in the story, about the "drivers", implying there was more than one driver. AFAIK it is only possible for one person to drive a car at a time, unless perhaps it was one of those dual-control driving school cars. Or maybe the "alleged" woman (using PC newspaper language now, she might identify as another sex...) tried to swap seats with the passenger in an attempt to show police she wasn't driving.

Who writes this stuff, work experience kids? I thought you needed to go to university and get a degree to be a journalist? It looks like they failed the first course. :roll:

No doubt she will recieve a very harsh penalty, something like a slap on the wrist with a damp lettuce leaf. :roll: :|

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-new ... 4zby9.html

A woman who allegedly crashed her car while seven times the legal blood alcohol limit will face the ACT Magistrates Court on Friday.

Police said they were called to a crash in a Tuggeranong car park about 11am on April 13.

One of the drivers, a 42-year-old woman, was taken to Tuggeranong Police Station for a breath analysis. Police allege she returned a reading of 0.335, seven times the legal limit.

The woman's licence was suspended immediately.

jindydiver

Postby jindydiver » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:18 am

Ross wrote:Woman allegedly crashes car while seven times the legal limit

Strange language by the newspaper, headline should read "Woman crashes car while allegedly seven times the legal limit." There is no doubting that she crashed the car (the car isn't a self-driving one and didn't crash itself... :roll: ), the only "doubt" or bit that needs proving is the BAC. :idea:

Then there is the bit in the story, about the "drivers", implying there was more than one driver. AFAIK it is only possible for one person to drive a car at a time, unless perhaps it was one of those dual-control driving school cars. Or maybe the "alleged" woman (using PC newspaper language now, she might identify as another sex...) tried to swap seats with the passenger in an attempt to show police she wasn't driving.

Who writes this stuff, work experience kids? I thought you needed to go to university and get a degree to be a journalist? It looks like they failed the first course. :roll:

No doubt she will recieve a very harsh penalty, something like a slap on the wrist with a damp lettuce leaf. :roll: :|

A woman who allegedly crashed her car while seven times the legal blood alcohol limit will face the ACT Magistrates Court on Friday.

Police said they were called to a crash in a Tuggeranong car park about 11am on April 13.

One of the drivers, a 42-year-old woman, was taken to Tuggeranong Police Station for a breath analysis. Police allege she returned a reading of 0.335, seven times the legal limit.

LOL
Meanwhile, everyone else understands that when two cars collide in a car park that there is the chance two drivers are involved.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:43 am

jindydiver wrote:
Ross wrote:Woman allegedly crashes car while seven times the legal limit

LOL
Meanwhile, everyone else understands that when two cars collide in a car park that there is the chance two drivers are involved.
What do you expect, they are motorists and motorists are sacred cows. Of course the reporting is going to be lenient. And besides, they also have the presumption of innocence from journos.

Compare the nice reporting before to these two "motorists" (they have motorised vehicles) using a road tunnel:

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-l ... 6514b8e8ca

cogs19

Postby cogs19 » Tue May 01, 2018 9:07 am

myforwik wrote: I'll be interested to hear what happens with this. The dash lines at the end of the bike lane seem to indicate you are meant to give way to traffic in the lane beside you.
The dash lines span the car lane - typical at any roundabout. The give way also applies to bikes, but, as with cars, only for vehicles already on the roundabout.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Tue May 01, 2018 11:06 am

cogs19 wrote:
myforwik wrote: I'll be interested to hear what happens with this. The dash lines at the end of the bike lane seem to indicate you are meant to give way to traffic in the lane beside you.
The dash lines span the car lane - typical at any roundabout. The give way also applies to bikes, but, as with cars, only for vehicles already on the roundabout.
I think he means the transition from bike lane to everybody lane just before the roundabout. Here

https://www.google.com/maps/(AT)-37.794943 ... 312!8i6656

Before the resheet, but you can see them. The broken lines at the end of the bike lane.

To be honest, I'd not thought about it before. Is it a give way situation? H909 or IP would be up on this.

Edit...see the difference here...roundabout (AT) Canning St (about 3 k's away, and one council)

https://www.google.com/maps/(AT)-37.782083 ... 312!8i6656

And before anyone gets too cocky :wink: an earlier attempt at Canning St, same roundabout. Note the lane marked through the thing!

https://www.google.com/maps/(AT)-37.782459 ... 328!8i1664

human909

Postby human909 » Tue May 01, 2018 12:42 pm

cogs19 wrote:
Myforwik is correct.

For roundabouts with better design approaches, bicycle lanes have no such dashed lines and merge into the general roadway lane. Bonus points if the council includes sharrows and arrows such as in the examples given by 'fat and old'
fat and old wrote:To be honest, I'd not thought about it before. Is it a give way situation? H909 or IP would be up on this.
Absolutely its a give way situation. Normal merging rules apply. Cyclists have to give way. I normally would leave such lanes long before the intersection.

One of my pet cringes and cyclist behavior is cyclists who ride in shoulders and cross in front intersections on their left without checking behind them. This is particularly dangerous on high speed rounds with sliplanes. The cyclists are both putting themselves at great risk and ignoring their obligation to give way to traffic on the roadway.

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Tue May 01, 2018 12:49 pm

fat and old wrote:
cogs19 wrote:
I think he means the transition from bike lane to everybody lane just before the roundabout. Here

https://www.google.com/maps/(AT)-37.794943 ... 312!8i6656

Before the resheet, but you can see them. The broken lines at the end of the bike lane.

To be honest, I'd not thought about it before. Is it a give way situation? H909 or IP would be up on this.
Victorian Road Safety Road Rules 2017, Rule 148
(1) A driver who is moving from one marked lane (whether or not the lane is ending) to another marked lane must give way to any vehicle travelling in the same direction as the driver in the marked lane to which the driver is moving.
Penalty: 5 penalty units.
Under Victorian Road Rules this is a give way situation. Rule 148, quoted above, applies if the "bike lane" is a properly defined bike lane, otherwise Rule 87 applies if the "bike lane" is a shoulder with bike symbols on it.

Victorian Road Safety Road Rules 2017, Rule 87
(1) A driver entering a marked lane, or a line of traffic, from the far left or right side of a road, or from a shoulder of a road, must give way to any vehicle travelling in the lane or line of traffic.
If it is a properly defined bike lane and it finishes without the lane marking returning to the edge of the road then it is a merge and Rule 149 applies.

Victorian Road Safety Road Rules 2017, Rule 149
A driver in a line of traffic that is merging with one or more lines of traffic travelling in the same direction as the driver must give way to a vehicle in another line of traffic if any part of the vehicle is ahead of the driver's vehicle.
Practicality should say that line markings are applied such that Rule 149 is prevalent due to the difficulties of yielding to vehicles that are coming from behind in the other scenarios but the Rule 87 and Rule 148 markings seem to be the most commonly applied because road designers don't care about cyclists and don't tend to know the road rules.

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Tue May 01, 2018 1:05 pm

Are we still talking about cogs19's roundabout incident from p.701? Here is a screen grab. The car is passing the give way lines on the entrance to the roundabout, and its back is in line with a zebra crossing; but a metre or so further back there is another, thinner dashed line across both the car lane and the bicycle lane, more or less in line with the front of the parked white/silver car. I haven't seen a marking like this before but, as far as I can tell, it means both lanes end at this point; and I can't see any indication that one lane must give way to the other.

Therefore I think this is a merge situation, and the car had to give way because it was behind the bicycle.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Tue May 01, 2018 1:53 pm

AdelaidePeter wrote: Therefore I think this is a merge situation, and the car had to give way because it was behind the bicycle.
Not a merge situation as per above, but no need to give way as Cogs was in front.

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Tue May 01, 2018 2:30 pm

fat and old wrote:
AdelaidePeter wrote: Therefore I think this is a merge situation, and the car had to give way because it was behind the bicycle.
Not a merge situation as per above, but no need to give way as Cogs was in front.
The discussion above was concerned with the case where the bicycle lane ends at a dashed line, but the car lane is continuing. But to me Cogs19's case looks like both lanes end, so it's a merge.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Tue May 01, 2018 2:38 pm

AdelaidePeter wrote: But to me Cogs19's case looks like both lanes end, so it's a merge.
Yup. It's an intersection not an "end of lane" situation. But IANNAL and those who are would state that it's "arguable" (i.e. will generate billable for the barristers)
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Tue May 01, 2018 2:44 pm

silentC wrote:I told them they should report it but not much I can do since I wasn't there. We have to start reporting these things, especially if there is video.
It's a shame the number plate is not visible. Beyond the close pass, there's being over a solid white line. While traffic's coming the other way. (forcing the oncoming car off the road, BTW)

You don't need the copyright owner to submit the report. Just get them to supply the video and a promise of a statement.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Tue May 01, 2018 3:40 pm

AdelaidePeter wrote:
fat and old wrote:
The discussion above was concerned with the case where the bicycle lane ends at a dashed line, but the car lane is continuing. But to me Cogs19's case looks like both lanes end, so it's a merge.
That line you refer to is the end of that zig zag marking, and it's in the car lane only. The lines you think continue across the cycle lane are the end of the cycle lane; the bit I asked about being a give way line. I'm honestly not sure what they're (the zigzags) for, but as it's along the length of the car lane I don't think the end of it means end of lane. The give way lines are the end of lane, and they are at least 6-8 meters past the cycle lane merge. Only one lane at the give way lines. At least that's my understanding. Happy to be wrong. Again.

Again, I expect H909 or IP would know what those zigzag markings are.

silentC

Postby silentC » Tue May 01, 2018 3:48 pm

Thoglette wrote: It's a shame the number plate is not visible. Beyond the close pass, there's being over a solid white line. While traffic's coming the other way. (forcing the oncoming car off the road, BTW)

You don't need the copyright owner to submit the report. Just get them to supply the video and a promise of a statement.
I'll talk to them about it tomorrow. They have a rego number which matches the vehicle type but unfortunately it's not visible on the footage.
- Me

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Tue May 01, 2018 3:58 pm

fat and old wrote:
AdelaidePeter wrote: The discussion above was concerned with the case where the bicycle lane ends at a dashed line, but the car lane is continuing. But to me Cogs19's case looks like both lanes end, so it's a merge.
That line you refer to is the end of that zig zag marking, and it's in the car lane only. The lines you think continue across the cycle lane are the end of the cycle lane
Aha. After replaying the video I can see that you are correct. It's a bit hard to see the dashed line at the end of the bicycle lane, because it looks like one of the "dashes" has been painted over by the zebra crossing; but that might be clearer on a forward facing video.

chriso_29er

Postby chriso_29er » Tue May 01, 2018 8:40 pm

Too me any give way/merge is moot anyway. Both vehicles were well into the roundabout with the bike clearly and safely in front.
I think the moron thought the bike was going to turn right around the roundabout, so went for the dive down the outside.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Tue May 01, 2018 9:08 pm

Funny how people drive like they can't see you but can always see in their rear view mirror 8) Moron on Middlemss St at North Sydney with two wheels in the bike lane coming down (another stupid contraflow bike lane, and yet another Hilux) seemingly doesn't see two intense flashing lights, but his ranty shout told me that he clearly saw me give him a two finger salute after he passed.

silentC

Postby silentC » Wed May 02, 2018 12:45 pm

Yes that always amuses me. They do the buzz pass, you give them the finger, so they slow down and want to know what your issue is. As I said to one guy if you didn't think you did anything wrong, why were you looking in your rear vision mirror after you passed me to see my reaction?
- Me

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed May 02, 2018 8:14 pm

silentC wrote:Yes that always amuses me. They do the buzz pass, you give them the finger, so they slow down and want to know what your issue is. As I said to one guy if you didn't think you did anything wrong, why were you looking in your rear vision mirror after you passed me to see my reaction?
Love it.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed May 02, 2018 8:23 pm

I got close passed by some young tradies of a particular ethnic where high performance cars are popular. All I did was shake my head and got the fingers out of the window. He was looking for a reaction
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Thu May 03, 2018 12:26 pm

http://www.news.com.au/technology/innov ... 88242c5ee3

When the public clicks on, I wonder if this will make MMseven more moronic as they hide their mobiles even more discreetly (and hence, more dangerously) as they drive ????
Go!Run!GAH!

BobtheBuilder

Postby BobtheBuilder » Thu May 03, 2018 9:02 pm

Apologies if this is a repeat post, but has anyone seen this guy from Aberdeen?!?

Takes name and shame to a very OCD level!!