Moron Motorists #3

find_bruce

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby find_bruce » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:05 pm

Uber drivers have started identifying their cars with little signs in the back window & thus appear to be among the worst drivers in the CBD. Makes sense when you consider how bad the average taxi driver & they had to pass a second driving test that uber drivers haven't

Todays shining example nearly lost his wing mirror as he changed lanes without looking
Anything you can do, I can do slower

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:35 pm

Aushiker wrote:
Scott_C wrote:The footage starts on Kings Park Road where a texting driver killed a cyclist 2 years earlier:
BTW what was the outcome of that for the driver?
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-01-29/d ... ld/7125710

Three year sentence, 18 months non-parole period starting in Jan 2016. 3 years drivers license suspension. Odds are that she is back in the community already and will probably be back on the roads in 14 months (as I think this sentence pre-dates the law change that driving bans only start counting once they are released from prison).

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:37 pm

Scott_C wrote:
Aushiker wrote:
Scott_C wrote:The footage starts on Kings Park Road where a texting driver killed a cyclist 2 years earlier:
BTW what was the outcome of that for the driver?
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-01-29/d ... ld/7125710

Three year sentence, 18 months non-parole period starting in Jan 2016. 3 years drivers license suspension. Odds are that she is back in the community already and will probably be back on the roads in 14 months (as I think this sentence pre-dates the law change that driving bans only start counting once they are released from prison).
I wonder if she's over the mental health issues that impaired her concentration and ability to drive (nice excuse) or does she get her licence back nevertheless. :roll:

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:40 pm

find_bruce wrote:Uber drivers have started identifying their cars with little signs in the back window & thus appear to be among the worst drivers in the CBD. Makes sense when you consider how bad the average taxi driver & they had to pass a second driving test that uber drivers haven't

Todays shining example nearly lost his wing mirror as he changed lanes without looking
Hadn't added 2 and 2 together but have defiantly noted an increase in newish cars struggling to stay in lanes, pulling random u-turns etc etc so stickers or roof mount sign sounds like a good idea, so you can give them a wide berth.

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:39 am

Not sure if its behind a paywall (from the sunshine coast) ...

The only silver lining with this is that Reno Malley has more than likely lost his driver's authority permit. Getting pinched for any sort of violence or assault generally translates into an automatic cancellation of any public driving permit (bus, taxi, uber etc).

'I'll kill you!': Cyclist run off road by raging driver

A WELL-MEANING cyclist who tried to intervene in a road-rage incident, became a victim himself after a protracted attack which saw him run off the road.

After seeing Reno Malley stop his car in front of another driver on a Peregian road and begin swearing and punching their window, the passer-by told the infuriated man "it's not worth it” and to drive away.

But, as the cyclist rode away Malley followed him and cut across the bike lane, causing the man to be pushed off the road.

Malley threatened to kill the cyclist, then drove 200m up the road and waited for the cyclist to catch up before again threatening to kill him.

The cyclist put his bike up on its back wheel in front of him for protection, but Malley got out of his car and began to punch it, causing it to fall to the ground before eventually driving away.

He today pleaded guilty to common assault in Maroochydore Magistrates Court.

Malley's lawyer admitted to the court the "circumstances don't read well”, but blamed his client's initial explosive tirade on his employment as a taxi driver and disdain for dangerous driving.

Magistrate Ron Madsen said while there was "no physical harm” to the victim, the incident would have been "terrifying” and sentenced Malley to 10 months' probation.
Go!Run!GAH!

Ross

Postby Ross » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:11 pm

https://www.policenews.act.gov.au/news/ ... -slow-down
Monday, 27 November 2017, Publish time: 2:20pm

ACT Policing is appalled by the lack of common sense displayed by some of ACT’s drivers.

So far, for the month of November 2017, ACT Policing has issued the following traffic infringement notices (TINs) in relation to significant speeding offences:

14 TINs for exceeding the speed limit by more than 45km/hr
39 TINs for exceeding the speed limit by more than 30km/hr but less than 45km/hr.

Other examples of high speed detection this month are:

154km/hr in a 90km/hr zone (64 kilometres over the posted speed limit) on Caswell Drive.
126km/hr in a 60km/hr zone (66 kilometres over the posted speed limit) on John Gorton Drive.
160km/hr in a 80km/hr zone (80 kilometres over the posted speed limit) on William Hovel Drive.

Officer in Charge of Traffic Operations, Station Sergeant Marcus Boorman stated, “Canberra drivers are not only gambling with their lives, but with the lives of others”.

ACT Policing would like to see everyone make it home safely for Christmas.

A further example of poor driving, is about 10.00am on Friday, 24 November 2017, ACT Policing detected a motorist travelling at 94 kilometres an hour (km/hr) in a school zone (40 km/hr speed zone) on Launceston Street, Phillip.

It is alleged there were also road workers, on the road at the time.

The 25-year-old driver from Hughes has incurred a $2,136.00 fine and accrued six demerit points.

li2099

Postby li2099 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:48 pm

Perfectly bright sunny Saturday arvo:
https://vimeo.com/244618257

CaffeineAU

Postby CaffeineAU » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:26 pm

Ross wrote:A further example of poor driving, is about 10.00am on Friday, 24 November 2017, ACT Policing detected a motorist travelling at 94 kilometres an hour (km/hr) in a school zone (40 km/hr speed zone) on Launceston Street, Phillip.
Not looking to excuse what the guy did, but why are the school zones active at 10:00 AM? In Sydney they're generally 8:00-9:30 (and if they are outside those hours then the times are marked in red on the signs)

Of course, I lived in Adelaide when they brought in the school zone speed limits that were active 'when children present' :roll: Do you have to stop and ask each slightly youthful looking person for ID to determine their exact age? :P

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:36 pm

In the ACT they are 40km/h for the whole term, no time restrictions.

Cheers

Cameron

CaffeineAU

Postby CaffeineAU » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:39 pm

ironhanglider wrote:In the ACT they are 40km/h for the whole term, no time restrictions.

Cheers

Cameron
Errk, that is something I'll have to remember when I'm down there next. Thanks!

jindydiver

Postby jindydiver » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:09 am

ironhanglider wrote:In the ACT they are 40km/h for the whole term, no time restrictions.

Cheers

Cameron
That is at least 8am till 4pm week days :wink:

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:19 am

jindydiver wrote:

Cheers

Cameron
That is at least 8am till 4pm week days :wink:
Makes more sense than just in the morning or afternoon, especially around high schools. Our local high school has kids entering and leaving all day.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

jindydiver

Postby jindydiver » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:45 am

Where that fellow was booked is a tertiary college (years 11 and 12)

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:08 pm

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:23 pm

Had two on the way in to work this moring. The first was run of the mill MGIF - I was in front of her & it didn't matter that I was riding downhill at 50k in a 50k zone, maintaining an appropriate distance from the car in front & there was a car coming the other way, she MGIF & closed shaved me to do so, whereupon she had to brake to avoid running into the car in front.

But at least she missed me, unlike MM#2 who wanted to turn left out of a petrol station - stopped about 2 m back from the curb & not blocking the shared path. I have some experience with moron motorists in this situation & on seeing her head firmly fixed to the right I hit the air-zound. As her head never deviated from the right I stopped, anticipating that she would drive off without looking & sure enough that's what she did.

What I didn't anticipate was that she was going to swing the wheel hard left & run into me anyway. Wound down her window & said that she didn't see me because she was looking at the traffic to her right. Funny how some drivers don't see that as an admission of negligence.

No harm to me or my bike, a few scratches along her passenger mudguard & mirror, presumably from where she hit my front rack.

The really sad bit is that she gave every indication of being a moron, but she still managed to exceed expectations.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:14 pm

Seems like it's a morning for pairs, in size 36 shiny red shoes.

First one was my fault. I made the mistake of going single file coming into a roundabout and Miss Green Pee decided to try an overtake on my mate *IN* the roundabout ahead of me. He heard her coming and moved over a few inches with his hand out to send a signal that there wasn't enough room (seems she didn't understand my outstretched arm, waving hand, and yelling "don't do it!") and she blasted him on the horn.

Second was Lawnmower Man. Approaches from the right. Comes to a stop. Then sees it's a cyclist and goes anyway. Same ride buddy almost contacts the trailer. Then, 400m up the road, he's pulled over and unloading his equipment. We have a polite chat but he is intent on being curt and abusive.

Will post videos later.

tcdev

Postby tcdev » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:56 pm

bychosis wrote:Makes more sense than just in the morning or afternoon, especially around high schools. Our local high school has kids entering and leaving all day.
In NSW they're 8-9:30am and 2:30-4pm. As I understand it, that's a blanket restriction in an attempt to cover all the start/end times of schools across the state.

Now my daughter's (primary) school starts at 9:25am, and kids are not supposed to be inside the school grounds before 9am. So for an hour every morning, there's a limit but no kids. Even worse, the limit is lifted only 5 mins after her school starts, when plenty of kids are still (literally) running - late - into the school, when an accident is more likely to happen.

And when I went to school, we finished at 2:25pm on Fridays - 5 mins before the restrictions start. And Wednesdays almost the entire school would pour out the gates around lunchtime to make their own way to sport - totally unrestricted. That's commonplace amongst high schools everywhere. Not to mention the fact that most high schools empty in about 5 mins; what high school kid wants to hang around school for any longer than absolutely necessary?

When traveling in the states I saw signs specifying a restriction "When School Children Are About".

I don't know the right answer. :(
2015 Giant XTC Advanced 29er 1 (2016 frame)
2011 Schwinn Sporterra Comp
2021 Giant Contend AR1

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:25 pm

tcdev wrote:
I don't know the right answer. :(
500m radius no standing zones around schools. No cars for kids to run out from behind then. As a bonus all kids and their parents will get some much needed exercise. Standard exclusions of buses and disabled parking exempt of course

tcdev

Postby tcdev » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:49 pm

jasonc wrote:500m radius no standing zones around schools. No cars for kids to run out from behind then. As a bonus all kids and their parents will get some much needed exercise. Standard exclusions of buses and disabled parking exempt of course
And the hundreds of residences within that radius? Not going to work.

Kids running out from behind cars is only part of the issue. Only a few days ago I was walking with my (kindergarten) daughter to school and we happened upon her classmates (twins, a boy and girl) with their grandmother. When we got near the crossing the boy saw a friend on the other side of the road and took off, straight across the street, completely ignoring his grandmother's shouts for him to stop. Fortunately the traffic stopped but the point is, he was completely oblivious to it and I only shudder to wonder what would have happened if we weren't at a crossing...
2015 Giant XTC Advanced 29er 1 (2016 frame)
2011 Schwinn Sporterra Comp
2021 Giant Contend AR1

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:44 pm

tcdev wrote:
jasonc wrote:500m radius no standing zones around schools. No cars for kids to run out from behind then. As a bonus all kids and their parents will get some much needed exercise. Standard exclusions of buses and disabled parking exempt of course
They don't own the road out the front of their house. Still applies

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:46 pm

jasonc wrote:
tcdev wrote:
They don't own the road out the front of their house. Still applies
Based on that logic, then all motor vehicles should be banned from all roads during the travel times to/from school, as school children may be walking on any of those roads
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:54 pm

Sounds good to me

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:37 pm

Ross wrote:Image
Wow, seems light compared to Vic. 6 demerit points out of a limit of 12 in the ACT, while you'd get 8 out of 10 in Victoria for that.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:47 pm

Max 10 demerit points in Vic? When did they change that?

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:56 pm

In NSW more than 45km/h over the speed limit comes with an automatic license suspension. Do it in a school zone & its 7 demerit points & a fine of $2,530