Moron Motorists #3

zero

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby zero » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:42 pm

DarrylH wrote:Also, lights on top of a helmet may be too high to be seen in a rear view mirror at that range. Cars have rules for light height - is there any rule for bikes?
They can be seen fine, however whether the driver can interpret them correctly I'm open on - and its probably a reason that despite having 2 bikes, I have my lights on my bars. Note that with bright headlights on the bars, I've had the same thing happen, and I've been a passenger in a car when the same thing has happened, and I've been riding a motorcycle behind a car that did the same thing in broad daylight into the rear wheels of a bus (with obviously most of the bus visible ahead of their car), which was shortly followed by the car stopping, the passenger getting out and vomiting from fright.

All that usually happens is the bicycle saves the idiot from contact by being narrower.

myforwik

Postby myforwik » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:18 pm

This a combination of moron motorists, and me silly cyclists. I was looking right for a gap to enter the lane and almost ran into truck who decided to do a swing out reverse.

This is in QLD and its 70km/hr. So if the 1.5m meter pass rule comes and, and I claim the lane... drivers will have to squeeze down to one lane, or hit me, or ignore the rule. Either way I can't see it working very well. There is no way every moron hot headed motorist is going to put up with a bicycle putting down the road at 30km/hr holding them up.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:35 pm

MM today was the tradie ute with trailer this morning who blew through a red light and had to swerve left to miss the white van who was legally turning right out of the side street (with the green light may I add). I was jogging at the time towards the set of lights and heard the group of three tradies who were walking on the other side of the road shout a warning. The ute missed the van by centimetres because of his last minute swerve. And then the ute just kept going. I mean, it was 6:30AM in the morning, but seriously, EYES OPEN!

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:48 pm

DarrylH wrote:Also, lights on top of a helmet may be too high to be seen in a rear view mirror at that range. Cars have rules for light height - is there any rule for bikes?
No.

Rule 259 (in Victoria) requires a white headlight and a red rear light, mounted either on the bike or on the rider. That is all.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:02 pm

As has pointed out it is legal to have lights on the helmet. I, like trailgumby, run my main set on my helmet angled down at the road, although I do also have a strobe mounted on the bars. The advantage of having a bright set on your helmet is you can light up cars entering from side streets. I had several SMIDSY incidents where drivers probably missed me due to a combination of windscreen pillars blocking my bar lights, as well as reduced brightness due to viewing my lights from an angle. Since putting the lights on the lid I have since had no issues.
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

Marto

Postby Marto » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:09 pm

Can the 1 meter rule be applied retrospectively?

Moron from this morning. I guess I was hidden from view behind the van earlier on, but note how the car's left mirror is visible from slightly before they started their lane change until I would have been visible in the left side window. They indicated too late also (see if you can see it - their red brake light was flashing on the video, maybe LEDs in sync with the camera shutter/refresh rate).

I made sure I yelled out nice and loud as the windows were closed, and those Mercs probably have good sound insulation.

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:16 pm

He's not overtaking you, MOD rule isn't really relevant.

He is changing lanes and failing to give way to a vehicle already in the lane. And changing lanes across a solid lane line marking. So 2 rules there, its already covered well enough.

Annoying, but you had time to avoid it once you saw it happening fortunately.

dmwill

Postby dmwill » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:34 pm

Believe it or not, the latest model S-class probably would have seen you and overridden driver input.

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:05 am

dmwill wrote:Believe it or not, the latest model S-class probably would have seen you and overridden driver input.
I wonder if Warnie has one yet.
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:54 am

myforwik wrote:There is no way every moron hot headed motorist is going to put up with a bicycle putting down the road at 30km/hr holding them up.
Yeah it's weird that. On Sunday a cruisy ride on the MTB allowed me the time to observe that the old knackered old truck with horses in the back going the same pace as most average cyclists up into Palmwoods at the pinch resulted in no complaints from drivers, no horns or yelling. Then later on a old Morris minor van struggling to get up the hill near the school going much slower than me or Pam would go, again attracted no attention with a small vehicle procession behind it. Pam even commented " we are quicker than that, why are they not shouting or beeping at him" this is why I would gladly pay $50 for rego and ctp in Qld per rider over 18 and be provided with a tag simular to a dog registration tag, hanging from my saddle or tool bag. MM would not have a comment to stand on.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:11 am

Marto wrote:Can the 1 meter rule be applied retrospectively?

Moron from this morning.
good ol oxley rd/clivenden ave. never disappoints.

Ross

Postby Ross » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:50 am

Wakatuki wrote:
myforwik wrote:There is no way every moron hot headed motorist is going to put up with a bicycle putting down the road at 30km/hr holding them up.
Yeah it's weird that. On Sunday a cruisy ride on the MTB allowed me the time to observe that the old knackered old truck with horses in the back going the same pace as most average cyclists up into Palmwoods at the pinch resulted in no complaints from drivers, no horns or yelling. Then later on a old Morris minor van struggling to get up the hill near the school going much slower than me or Pam would go, again attracted no attention with a small vehicle procession behind it. Pam even commented " we are quicker than that, why are they not shouting or beeping at him" this is why I would gladly pay $50 for rego and ctp in Qld per rider over 18 and be provided with a tag simular to a dog registration tag, hanging from my saddle or tool bag. MM would not have a comment to stand on.
Yes. I'd even pay the same rego for my bike as I do the car if it meant respect and tolerance from motorists but we all know it wouldn't make the slightest bit of difference. I thin it's because we are vunerable road users (to use a trendy catchphrase) and motorists know they can bully cyclists and get away with it (ie not damage their vehicles). If they tried it on with a backhoe or a horse float then the motorist may well come off second best.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:09 am

Ross wrote:[
Yes. I'd even pay the same rego for my bike as I do the car if it meant respect and tolerance from motorists but we all know it wouldn't make the slightest bit of difference. I thin it's because we are vulnerable road users (to use a trendy catchphrase) and motorists know they can bully cyclists and get away with it (ie not damage their vehicles). If they tried it on with a backhoe or a horse float then the motorist may well come off second best.
Hi Ross,
If motor cars a registered on weight that would only cost us 2 and sixpence... :D
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

Marto

Postby Marto » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:03 am

jasonc wrote:

Moron from this morning.
It is a place to be primed for action. Being further right in the lane can help, unlike me on this occasion. Drift a bit left and they will snipe through.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:05 am

Marto wrote:
jasonc wrote:

Moron from this morning.
It is a place to be primed for action. Being further right in the lane can help, unlike me on this occasion. Drift a bit left and they will snipe through.
have had issues there too

duncanm

Postby duncanm » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:46 pm

Moron from this morning. I guess I was hidden from view behind the van earlier on, but note how the car's left mirror is visible from slightly before they started their lane change until I would have been visible in the left side window. They indicated too late also (see if you can see it - their red brake light was flashing on the video, maybe LEDs in sync with the camera shutter/refresh rate).

I made sure I yelled out nice and loud as the windows were closed, and those Mercs probably have good sound insulation.

that's a SMIDGAF. The guy passed as you were waiting behind the van, so he knew you were there.

He just couldn't be bothered waiting to see how fast you took off and expected to be able to slip in behind the van.

zero

Postby zero » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:50 pm

He drove round you and the van hoping to get in front of both before the intersection, about all that is going to discourage those is being in the mirrors all the time and really close to the van and not all the time, as he would cut off a car if he thought he could too. Airhorns sometimes make them stop, but you have to still ride as if they are going to collide with you and thus avoid it.

zero

Postby zero » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:53 pm

Saw a car dumped in balmain today with the door smashed to straight out, the plastic trim on the ground below the door and an ambulance leaving the area, though not with lights on. Couldn't see the driver so I reckon that driver doored a car and got physically struck by the car that they doored (either hand or body getting out).

westab

Postby westab » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:15 pm

Had a MM on Saturday nearly run up the back of me. I was riding up to a cross roads where I was on a Stop sign. I signalled to turn left (I had seen the paint repair van behind) and slowed.
There was no other traffic about so I did the right thing and STOPPED at the stop sign; the van then nearly ran up the back of me (he too was turning left but had no intention of stopping) and skidded to a halt. :shock:

After we both went round the corner the driver then stayed alongside, put the window down and proceeded to yell abuse as me informing me that all bicycles don't stop for stop signs and that I had nearly caused an accident because I had followed the road rules. (Colorful metaphors left out). I very rarely get treated like this - and could hardly believe that I would get told off for doing the right thing.

About 2 min. later I rode past said van with the driver getting his gear out and going inside; I stopped and in my most proper english asked the driver of the van to be more careful next time - a very sheepish driver apologised. It was the sort of sorry you get from a kid when caught red handed - hopefully next time he will look.
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:49 pm

http://youtube.com/watch?v=HEog-H9xEZE& ... Eog-H9xEZE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sent from my android thingy using Crapatalk

zero

Postby zero » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:57 pm

trailgumby wrote:http://youtube.com/watch?v=HEog-H9xEZE& ... Eog-H9xEZE

Sent from my android thingy using Crapatalk
I'd call it all fun and games, but he was pretty close to spilling it on a major road through lack of experience. Safer for the rest of the road using public than a stolen car though at least.

Tomca74

Postby Tomca74 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:01 pm

Posted this on the commuting thread, but I think it probably belongs here. Some creative driving :roll:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4moTYZs7ik4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:07 pm

Tomca74 wrote:Posted this on the commuting thread, but I think it probably belongs here. Some creative driving :roll:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4moTYZs7ik4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I don't understand the one with the camry (not knowing the area). Is he driving on the path, or?

Tomca74

Postby Tomca74 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:15 pm

wellington_street wrote:
Tomca74 wrote:Posted this on the commuting thread, but I think it probably belongs here. Some creative driving :roll:

I don't understand the one with the camry (not knowing the area). Is he driving on the path, or?

No just a really bad bit of service road and he was zig zagging all over the place, accelerating then braking hard, just like if he was in his cab

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:36 pm

Tomca74 wrote:No just a really bad bit of service road and he was zig zagging all over the place, accelerating then braking hard, just like if he was in his cab
Ah ok. It looked like a really confusing bit of road on the video so I can't blame him too much for being confused as to where he's going, avoiding the pole and potholes etc. Terrible bit of road.