Moron Motorists #3

familyguy

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby familyguy » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:19 pm

Highlights the point well, better pic. Will use that one for my council submission.

murbul

Postby murbul » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:56 pm

familyguy wrote:Will suggest to council that the line markings to turn the corner from Park to Sutherland be dashed around the corner further out.

Jim
In my experience, a bit of paint isn't going to do anything. This need a more serious redesign. As an example, I see this almost every morning: https://twitter.com/bruisedchickpea/sta ... 1686273029

human909

Postby human909 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:57 pm

Scott_C wrote:
human909 wrote:Why does NSW continue to insist on using on road bidirectional cycleways!?
We are seeing more of these abominations here in Perth despite them being illegal to use in the contraflow direction if there is any opposing vehicular traffic unless there is physical separation between the road and the cycleway, not just paint. (Both the car and the bike violate WA Road Rule 114 with them both liable for a $150 fine and 2 demerit points for the driver).
Honestly it boggles the mind. There is plenty of research supporting the dangers. And these implementatons aren't exactly cheap. IMO if you are going to half ass it then stick with the poxy painted bicycle lanes. Otherwise do it properly.

To my knowledge Melbourne tried this once and it was a failure and recognised as such (Fitzroy St, St Kilda). There has certainly been plenty of mediocre bicycle infrastructure here too but the lessons of on road bi-directionals has mostly been learnt from what I can see.

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:06 pm

murbul wrote:
familyguy wrote:Will suggest to council that the line markings to turn the corner from Park to Sutherland be dashed around the corner further out.

Jim
In my experience, a bit of paint isn't going to do anything. This need a more serious redesign. As an example, I see this almost every morning: https://twitter.com/bruisedchickpea/sta ... 1686273029
I agree with murbul on this, paint doesn't change driver behaviour. You would be better asking for them to increase the size of the protective island between the bike and the road and extend the bikelane paint job so that the contra-flow stopline lines up with a position with adequate sightlines (i.e. keep the current design concept but move it to where you actually have adequate sight to cross safely).

While painted lines would reinforce that you are doing the right thing and the car is lazily cutting the corner they won't prevent you getting your front wheel taco'ed.

Thoglette

A bad week for the pro team cyclists

Postby Thoglette » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:08 am

Is it holiday time in 2GB land?

18 April
George Bennett 'lucky to be alive' after being hit by car in training
. "I was riding fast and a car was coming the other way. It didn't see us, and it turned left across the road and I went straight into the side of him and I went over. Luckily I went over the car but I ripped the roof rack off with my knees.
19 April
Haller struck by car while training
Katusha-Alpecin's Marco Haller was struck by a motorist who ran a stop sign while training in Austria on Thursday, suffering multiple fractures to his left knee. The team estimate he will be out for several months and will miss the Tour de France, where he was due to be one of Marcel Kittel's main lead-out men.
Young French rider shot by gunman in passing car
Clément Delcros, who rides with the AVC Aix-en-Provence team, took a bullet to the shoulder from a gunman in a passing car before riding to the nearest hospital for treatment.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:41 am

Same car, same road as 2 months ago. :roll:

uart

Postby uart » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:41 pm

jasonc wrote:Same car, same road as 2 months ago. :roll:
Seriously that guy had to wait a whole 5 seconds and then it would have been 100% safe to pass. What a moron!

Have you got the footage of the same guy on the previous incident. Pass them both along to the police. He should at a minimum get done for an unsafe overtake.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:58 pm

From last time

I referenced this case in the case logged today

b4igo

Re: A bad week for the pro team cyclists

Postby b4igo » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:17 pm

Thoglette wrote:Is it holiday time in 2GB land?
Clément Delcros, who rides with the AVC Aix-en-Provence team, took a bullet to the shoulder from a gunman in a passing car before riding to the nearest hospital for treatment.
Rode himself to hospital!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Things are pretty rough when you have to dodge bullets as well as cars!!!

jasonc

Re: A bad week for the pro team cyclists

Postby jasonc » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:44 pm

b4igo wrote:
Thoglette wrote:Is it holiday time in 2GB land?
Rode himself to hospital!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Things are pretty rough when you have to dodge bullets as well as cars!!!
Tis but a flesh wound

HenryCharlie

Postby HenryCharlie » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:14 pm

jasonc wrote: Same car, same road as 2 months ago. :roll:
Plod desperately needs to have a word with him/her, that was almost a head on with that truck. :shock:
I overtook some people going uphill once.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:44 pm

HenryCharlie wrote:
Plod desperately needs to have a word with him/her, that was almost a head on with that truck. :shock:
Sadly the police station it's going to doesn't have a track record of actioning these cases in a positive manner

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:12 am

jasonc wrote:
HenryCharlie wrote:
Sadly the police station it's going to doesn't have a track record of actioning these cases in a positive manner
If there is enough detail on the original video to identify the trucking company you could try an end run around the police by talking to the truckie and seeing if they will lodge a complaint about the vehicle being on the wrong side of the road in the face of oncoming traffic.

uart

Postby uart » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:17 pm

Scott_C wrote: If there is enough detail on the original video to identify the trucking company you could try an end run around the police by talking to the truckie and seeing if they will lodge a complaint about the vehicle being on the wrong side of the road in the face of oncoming traffic.
Yes I was thinking along those lines too Scott. I'm thinking that the police might actually take action on this one for the simple reason that there was another road user endangered who isn't a cyclist.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:30 pm

uart wrote:
Scott_C wrote: If there is enough detail on the original video to identify the trucking company you could try an end run around the police by talking to the truckie and seeing if they will lodge a complaint about the vehicle being on the wrong side of the road in the face of oncoming traffic.
Yes I was thinking along those lines too Scott. I'm thinking that the police might actually take action on this one for the simple reason that there was another road user endangered who isn't a cyclist.
i checked the video and i can't recognise the truck at all. :(

Bentnose

Postby Bentnose » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:46 pm

Was indicating right to pull into a side road when the large 4WD that was waiting at the stop sign to pull out of the same road pulled straight out in front of me and I had to take evasive action. I yelled out first "rider" then "are you blind or something" the women stopped and yelled back "I'm sorry, a##ehole". I'd say if you (lightly) swear at the person you're meant to be apologizing to then you're not really sorry at all, I didn't use any 4 letter words.
No signature

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:28 pm

We had a two ****head group ride this morning. Yelling abuse while travelling on the opposite side of the road, in the opposite direction. :roll:

commute

Postby commute » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:16 pm

Riding along a work in progress "bike boulevard" this morning. I had to come to a stop because when I approached one of the slow points there was cars coming from the other direction, and someone had decided to do a 200IQ parking effort in the bike lane.

If there hadn't have been oncoming traffic, I would have just cycled through the slow point. But since I had already come to a halt, out came the phone...

dmwill

Postby dmwill » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:59 pm

A quick call the the local council could have made the owner's day.

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:20 am

How wide is that cycle lane at the slow point?
May be just photo but it looks as if my trike or velomobile wouldn't fit through so I'd have to use the road anyway.

caneye

Postby caneye » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:25 pm

2 careless drivers in one week.

this was during my morning commute. Oakes Road is a very popular rat run used by local residents to avoid the Pennant Hills gridlock. I've had a number of close shaves at this roundabout but this was by far the closest :evil:
I also met a rider who was knocked out cold when going through the same spot.

weekend ride ..

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:57 am

commute wrote:Riding along a work in progress "bike boulevard" this morning. I had to come to a stop because when I approached one of the slow points there was cars coming from the other direction, and someone had decided to do a 200IQ parking effort in the bike lane.
That, to me, is a passive aggressive local parking there knowing full well what they were doing.

Jim

commute

Postby commute » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:37 pm

John Lewis wrote:How wide is that cycle lane at the slow point?
May be just photo but it looks as if my trike or velomobile wouldn't fit through so I'd have to use the road anyway.
I tested a few of the bike lanes out with a croozer bike trailer the other week and while it did fit through most of them, there was very little clearance, I would estimate less than 50mm each side. What amazed me was they were not even consistent size, in one of them the trailer did not fit through and it jumped on to the kerbs.

I informed the council that morning about the Landcruiser's parking. They said they would send a ranger to investigate.

myforwik

Postby myforwik » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:00 pm

cogs19 wrote:Here's the video of the incident that I raised with the police.

Would be good to see whether peeps think I should pursue this beyond seeking compensation for damage to the bike. Excuse language.
I'll be interested to hear what happens with this. The dash lines at the end of the bike lane seem to indicate you are meant to give way to traffic in the lane beside you.

The drive is a mupet, but the law can be really weird. Its like how all merges on freeways are 'giveway', yes no one does, they just merge in and make the cars on the highway make a spot for them.

myforwik

Postby myforwik » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:25 pm

mikesbytes wrote:
Ross wrote:Driver denies he was to blame for collision with pedestrian

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia ... ocid=ientp

What a tool, all he needed to do was continue driving straight in his lane, the Ped was about 5mtr's past that lane by the time of impact
The roads really are the wild west. This guy was 100% on the phone, he didn't follow the curve at any time.

Crazily enough, the law is meant to be based on action and not outcome, so even if the pedestrian died, he would still just face a fine and walk away - as do the 1,000+ at fault drivers per year that kill people.