AKO

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby AKO » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:30 pm

Yesterdays ride. A wee bit close.

[/quote]

BianchiCam

Postby BianchiCam » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:34 pm

Gee Zus! There is absolutely no excuse for passing that close. Noted he was towing dirt bikes and proberly had low self esteem issues so by buzzing you it made him feel good about himself.
What a tosser!

AKO

Postby AKO » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:36 pm

When they turned left just after this the passenger wound down his window and gave me a wave. That peeved me off no end.

BianchiCam

Postby BianchiCam » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:45 pm

I'd be off to the Cop shop for sure. Did you get the plate on that?

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:01 pm

If your original video is better resolution than the youtube clip you should be able to get the rego. It's almost readable on youtube at 0:18 seconds.

AKO

Postby AKO » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:13 pm

Rego is clear as day on the original and I have already been to the cop shop. They didn't have any officers available so one will ring me apparently.

hannos

Postby hannos » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:24 pm

AKO wrote:Rego is clear as day on the original and I have already been to the cop shop. They didn't have any officers available so one will ring me apparently.
Keep chasing them up. I assume you got a COPS reference number?

linds

Postby linds » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:14 pm

Yesterday I was hooned twice by some P platers whose plan was to come slowly up behind me and scream into the side of my face on the way past. I didnt get the plate number...but recognised the car. It parks in my street so I will get the rego and duly pass onto police asap. Idiots will cause an accident if they havent already. I seem to attract the local P platers, usually in utes-strange phenomenon. I havent had a ride in the last few weeks where something like this has not happened.

Postieboy

Postby Postieboy » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:18 pm

P-PLATERS :evil:

I have left a lot of nothing in this one to highlight a few important points.

1. The road is quiet
2. My general road position and how my position within the lane constanty changes (bumps in the road at 1:12 show my typical position).
3. Only the drivers displaying P-Plates fail to overtake correctly.

What other things can I do in the future to prevent this as it was very very close.

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:59 pm

To the cops who were riding their motorbikes along the bikepath that runs underneath the Riverside Expressway this afternoon, what's wrong with using roads like everybody else? :roll:

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:14 pm

linds wrote:Yesterday I was hooned twice by some P platers whose plan was to come slowly up behind me and scream into the side of my face on the way past. I didnt get the plate number...but recognised the car. It parks in my street so I will get the rego and duly pass onto police asap. Idiots will cause an accident if they havent already. I seem to attract the local P platers, usually in utes-strange phenomenon. I havent had a ride in the last few weeks where something like this has not happened.

Leave a note on their car. What it says and how permanent that note is is up to you

linds

Postby linds » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:30 pm

thought had crossed my mind.....

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:43 pm

AKO wrote:Rego is clear as day on the original and I have already been to the cop shop. They didn't have any officers available so one will ring me apparently.
Keep us informed what happens.
That was seriously dangerous driving and I and no doubt many others have also experienced similar.
Those morons need a therapeutic slapping. I was angry watching that.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:25 pm

Postieboy wrote:What other things can I do in the future to prevent this as it was very very close.
ride in the right wheel track. you're more in the middle/left wheel track

jules21

Postby jules21 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:56 pm

Postieboy wrote:What other things can I do in the future to prevent this as it was very very close.
you can't do anything. what you can do is report to police - there was no reason for him to do that, other than to intimidate you. that's what the police are for.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:29 pm

Generally I'd say the left wheel track should normally be enough to have drivers react well, but as you know "P" stands for "prat" so no helping them. Just wide rider and do a bit of wobbling if you like - claim your lane space. That lane looks too narrow for you and a car to share, so you're well advised to sit in the middle to claim it . Another strategy that may or may not appeal, but really does work, is to ride with panniers, or one right pannier. Or get a "Safety Wing", this plastic spacer that 'persuades' them to keep clear.

Just some ideas.

Yes, and that silver car's "Prat" driver needs some serious re-education.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:50 pm

AKO wrote:Yesterdays ride. A wee bit close.
[deleted] me!

Such a nice boy, he didn't want to endanger other road users by overtaking against the lines...

Don't let go of the local plod on this one, this dill needs a lesson . I near soiled meself watching the vid :(
jules21 wrote:there was no reason for him to do that, other than to intimidate you. that's what the police are for.
Must live in a rough area... :|

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:02 am

Postieboy wrote:P-PLATERS :evil:

I have left a lot of nothing in this one to highlight a few important points.

1. The road is quiet
2. My general road position and how my position within the lane constanty changes (bumps in the road at 1:12 show my typical position).
3. Only the drivers displaying P-Plates fail to overtake correctly.

What other things can I do in the future to prevent this as it was very very close.
Move further out into the lane and force them to go around you. I'd say the P-Platers in that video are just not that good at judging clearances. Educate them by riding wide enough so that there is no doubt they can't fit next to you.
I find that the second I let my guard down and ride in the left wheel track, someone decides to shave me. If I ride middle to right wheel track, I very rarely get that treatment.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:06 am

Bejeebus, seems things are a good bit rougher in NSW :shock: .

I would never need to ride to the right of the centre of the lane to get decent treatment from Melbourne drivers. I do usually use panniers, but even riding the road bike I'll just ride in the left wheel-track and that is usually enough to convince drivers they need to move over. Of course some do lane-split, but 95% + will give a good margin.

Undertow

Postby Undertow » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:01 am

il padrone wrote:Bejeebus, seems things are a good bit rougher in NSW :shock: .

I would never need to ride to the right of the centre of the lane to get decent treatment from Melbourne drivers. I do usually use panniers, but even riding the road bike I'll just ride in the left wheel-track and that is usually enough to convince drivers they need to move over. Of course some do lane-split, but 95% + will give a good margin.
Its the same (as NSW) in QLD, or at least it is where I ride in brisbane. left hand wheel track will stop most close shaves, but you've gotta go in the right hand wheel track if you wanna stop them all.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:15 pm

Rode home from work about 4:30pm on Easter Saturday after spending an overtime day in the office. It was the worst I've been treated by motorists in a very long time. Lost count of the number of close passes and instances of horn abuse.

I was less than 6km into the 20km ride when I had enough and lost it with the idiots in a silver Toyota/Nissan/Mazda medium sedan with ACT plates driven by a blinged-up Indian on Military Road near the MacDonald's.

Unfortunately (or fortunately) the mirror refused to separate from its mounts, despite my best efforts. :oops:

The stupid woman passenger's excuse was "you were in the middle of the lane". And? If you have enough room enough to move partially into the next lane you have room to move into it completely :evil:

Note to self: don't ever assume people will play nice. Use camera at all times when riding on the road. Plan B in case of omission of camera: use knee or shoe on side of rear fender instead of bruising hand on mirror (kidding)

FuzzyDropbear

Postby FuzzyDropbear » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:25 pm

:shock: at some of those passes in the last few videos, I fail to comprehend how people think this sort of driving is acceptable behaviour. They are essentially using their vehicles as weapons to intimidate others, so not sure how these things are constantly overlooked.

On riding in the right wheel track, I would never dare do that, I'd be riding in constant fear that someone would just clean me up. :?
trailgumby wrote:Rode home from work about 4:30pm on Easter Saturday after spending an overtime day in the office. It was the worst I've been treated by motorists in a very long time. Lost count of the number of close passes and instances of horn abuse.

... Use camera at all times when riding on the road....
I'm always amazed how you can go a few weeks with everyone being nice and then all of a sudden, you get a ridiculous number of people being morons.. How does that work? I'm really thinking about getting an airzound thing when I get back from leave for these reasons.

And yeah, anyone I know who starts commuting, I send them out to get a Jumbo video camera, for $40, it's cheap insurance and instead of police going off statements, you can hand over a camera and they can have a look at the incident for themselves. Provide them with evidence and you'll be a whole lot better off than a 'he said she said' situation.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:52 pm

FuzzyDropbear wrote:On riding in the right wheel track, I would never dare do that, I'd be riding in constant fear that someone would just clean me up. :?
I would very rarely ride on the right, but often ride right in the middle, for safety and ability to maneuver easily. Here is how it works:

FuzzyDropbear wrote:I'm always amazed how you can go a few weeks with everyone being nice and then all of a sudden, you get a ridiculous number of people being morons.. How does that work?
Probably pretty closely related to the anti-cyclist rants of various shockjock DJs and journos. :evil:

human909

Postby human909 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:00 pm

FuzzyDropbear wrote:On riding in the right wheel track, I would never dare do that, I'd be riding in constant fear that someone would just clean me up. :?
How does riding in the left wheel track (or the gutter) make you less fearful?

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:12 pm

Cyclists are often the worst with it - holding the misguided view that we are always required to ride as far to left as possible. We are bludgeoned into misguided submission by the over-bearing motorist mind-set. Keeping left applies to all vehicles and only on two-lane roads. On multi-lane roads there is no such requirement, for drivers or cyclists :o

Surprised about that? Well re-read your road rules :idea: