Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

cp123

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby cp123 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:19 am

gawd that truck driver is a knob.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:32 am

The red lights is for traffic coming out of the Nundha bypass Tunnel.

Marto

Postby Marto » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:09 pm

zero wrote:Moron musicians thread ?
Could be the truck's sound system?

They also seemed to go close to the car approaching the T-intersection to the main road.

They can't plan:
1. What they are doing at any moment.
2. The next few seconds ahead.

herzog

Postby herzog » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:49 pm

cp123 wrote:gawd that truck driver is a knob.
I'd say that's worth a solid 15 second blast of the airzound.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:48 pm

for your amusement (occasional strong language warning) :)

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:42 pm

Wast of time and breath, Jules. Haters gotta hate. Much better to just wave and blow kisses - it leaves you with a happy feeling of delight, rather than a frustrated seething cr#ppiness.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

hannos

Postby hannos » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:20 am

I agree with IP, waste of your time.

I'm assuming he wants you to ride in the unmarked bicycle lane that is full of parked cars? interesting theory...

And cyclists apparently don't pay rates now? Another interesting theory...
2010 BMC SLC01

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:26 am

Moron cab yesterday. See how many seconds I held him up by as he was gesticulating for me to keep further left.

New strategy. Use the word "buddy" when I am thinking of a vastly different word :).

Handy having head mounted cam and 1080p res now with the new camera.
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

oxonabike

Postby oxonabike » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:17 am

Typical must get past the cyclist moment. Might have uttered some unsavoury comments. As per usual, no actual delay would have been caused had they just waited. Forward camera pointing into the sun, so lighting is not the greatest.

clydesmcdale

Postby clydesmcdale » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:51 am

Must buy a camera for the commutem as these thing are always much more amusing when seen in motion.

Last night, coming up to the crest of Logan Road at Holland Park just before Marshall Road. In the "cycle lane" (door zone) doing about 25, and a Silver SAAB at great speed cuts me off, brakes hard and takes a carpark on my inside, missing me by about 1.5m. I brake and swerve out to miss. As I pass, I decide to be a bit cheeky and give his driver's side mirror a slap folding it forward. Just as a gentle reminder of how close I was. I then carry on through the lights and roll down the hill. As I pick up speed, I now see that the Silver SAAB is in chase blasting on the horn and yelling something incomprehensible as he gets along side. Obviously upset that I touched his car. I pull out the bidon in preperation for a quick blast of water through the passenger window, but he's pressured by traffic banking up behind and reluctantly picks up his pace to go ahead of me. All whilst still on the horn and pontificating.

Must have been in a hurry to cut me off, but then decided with all that time he just saved, he could spend a few moments chasing down a cyclist. All under control, had many "outs" and was more than willing to discuss with him if he chose to stop, which unfortunately he didn't.

Edit: Probably shouldn't have touched the mirror, potentially putting myself in harm's way. But it was an off the cuff decision. With hindsight, I won't do it again.

Big_Red

Postby Big_Red » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:38 am

clydesmcdale wrote:Must buy a camera for the commutem as these thing are always much more amusing when seen in motion.
Amen to that, even if it is just to show the footage to the police, so they can throw the book at some of these losers.

Had a must-get-past-the-cyclist moment to on the way home from work today while steaming along the downhill on Lambert St, East Brisbane (before Shafston Institute) and some tosser in a bright orange Ford Focus XR5 overtakes me on the wrong side of the road midway through the S bend, (which i always stick to nearly the middle of the road to avoid this particular stunt happening) then he cuts back into the proper side of the street no more than a metre from my front wheel and brake checks me. Sorely tempted to squirt the entire contents of my bidon through his open window at that point, but i was beyond coherent thought and only would have gotten further enraged and kicked the bejesus out every panel of the car, then thrown the mtb through his windscreen to show my displeasure at nearly being road kill. Had another car/cyclist been travelling the other direction through the s-bend they'd have been wiped out by this moron. Gah! Is there something in the water at the moment?

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:58 am

Big_Red wrote:
Had a must-get-past-the-cyclist moment to on the way home from work today while steaming along the downhill on Lambert St, East Brisbane (before Shafston Institute) and some tosser in a bright orange Ford Focus XR5 overtakes me on the wrong side of the road midway through the S bend, (which i always stick to nearly the middle of the road to avoid this particular stunt happening) then he cuts back into the proper side of the street no more than a metre from my front wheel and brake checks me. Sorely tempted to squirt the entire contents of my bidon through his open window at that point, but i was beyond coherent thought and only would have gotten further enraged and kicked the bejesus out every panel of the car, then thrown the mtb through his windscreen to show my displeasure at nearly being road kill. Had another car/cyclist been travelling the other direction through the s-bend they'd have been wiped out by this moron. Gah! Is there something in the water at the moment?
Made me laugh, cause those thoughts regularly run through my head on that stretch. Lambert St attracts the best of the best.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:49 pm

Not surprised you were wound up, I got a blood rush out of that one...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:57 pm

Boognoss wrote:Moron cab yesterday. See how many seconds I held him up by as he was gesticulating for me to keep further left.

New strategy. Use the word "buddy" when I am thinking of a vastly different word :).

That video would be such a great one to throw to the police - overtaking well across double-lines, bold as brass. He don't deserve no taxi licence! :roll:
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Big_Red

Postby Big_Red » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:16 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
Not surprised you were wound up, I got a blood rush out of that one...
While i don't consider that i do a lot of riding, averaging about 3 commutes to work a fortnight (2,500km) for 2012, yesterday was the first time i've had anything like what i described above happen to me. It was such an unbelievably stupid thing for the driver to do, i just couldn't wrap my head around the situation at the time and had i confronted the driver i would have lost the plot. I've driven cars for 25 years, but i have never seen such a flagrant disregard for safety before. I'm going to order one of those keyfob cameras tonight, which should be sufficient for capturing MM's in the act. I'll have to look at that vid at home as youtube is banned at work.

I've doubled the amount of commuting on bike to work this year so i'm hoping not to see an increase in the amount of MM's...

coffeeandwine

Postby coffeeandwine » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:40 pm

il padrone wrote:
Boognoss wrote:Moron cab yesterday. See how many seconds I held him up by as he was gesticulating for me to keep further left.

That video would be such a great one to throw to the police - overtaking well across double-lines, bold as brass. He don't deserve no taxi licence! :roll:
Consider calling the Cab company as well.

I had an interesting encounter with a taxi myself last night (commute home). Approaching a roundabout, only traffic in sight was a cab coming towards me, he decided to suddenly turn right without any use of indicators. I pick this up as he is into his turn.

Luckily (?) I always approach this intersection with caution (roundabout comes at the foot of a steep descent, poor visibility of traffic entering from my right), so was able to brake sharply but still had to turn the corner with him. I rang the cab company and spoke to the supervisor who was very good, understood my position. I asked him to have a quiet chat to the driver and ask him to be more careful about always using his indicators. If I had been a child, less experienced on the road, or not alert, I would have been over the bonnet or under the car; if i had been a cop, he would have a few extra demerit points.

Bad drivers don't help the image of the company.
Merida 903 from the LBS; Diesel engine

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:04 pm

coffeeandwine wrote:Consider calling the Cab company as well. [snip] Bad drivers don't help the image of the company.
+1 Silver service may take it more seriously than most - they want to have a reputation for a high class service.

You might try complaining to NSW Transport as well - they are the body who issue a taxi driver's authority to drive. Online form is http://www.131500.com.au/customer-service/feedback/taxi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:06 pm

I use those taxis quite a lot, I'll keep an eye out for that one. :wink: They are usually one driver one car, in my experience. A bit of normal conversation will soon work out if it is the same anti-cyclist driver.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:50 pm

Must get to queue at Balaclava Rd quickly! Why do they bother?
This roundabout is supposed to be replaced by traffic lights, but I think the project is delayed a fair bit!
I come through there around 4:45pm most days, so it is usually pretty quiet.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:31 pm

queequeg wrote:

This roundabout is supposed to be replaced by traffic lights, but I think the project is delayed a fair bit!
Good, lights at that intersection are very long overdue!!!

I emailed Silver Service's enquiries email last week from my work email with a link to the video, and a suggestion that as a company we'd be looking at which cab companies we prefer to use. I got a read receipt but not reply. I'll follow up next week :-).

Sent from my iSomethingorother using Tapatalk HD
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:13 pm

Boognoss wrote:
queequeg wrote:

I emailed Silver Service's enquiries email last week from my work email with a link to the video, and a suggestion that as a company we'd be looking at which cab companies we prefer to use. I got a read receipt but not reply. I'll follow up next week :-).

According to the RMS site (http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/roadprojects/ ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), the roundabout is now due to be replaced Q1 this year.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:19 pm

queequeg wrote:
Boognoss wrote:
queequeg wrote: Must get to queue at Balaclava Rd quickly! Why do they bother?

According to the RMS site (http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/roadprojects/ ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), the roundabout is now due to be replaced Q1 this year.
Thanks for that. They are running out of months in Q1 too.......

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:17 pm

Helleau 8) I'm back :mrgreen:

Interesting incident last week with a bus driver

skull

Postby skull » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:15 pm

probably should not have continued to inflame the situation in a road rage fashion.