Moron Motorists #3

InTheWoods

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby InTheWoods » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:47 am

dungee wrote:On day 4 of the 1 meter rule I was trying to trust that the drivers would play nice so was riding very left. Most were excellent and left plenty of space when passing, then halfway up Camp Hill I was buzzed by a Translink bus, came within 200mm of me at speed which was a little closer than I'd like. Sent a link to my video footage to Translink offering to share it with the police also if need be and I received this great response.

Dear Chris

Thank you for your contact with TransLink.

TransLink and our delivery partners place great importance on providing a high standard of customer service, and I was concerned to read your feedback about your recent experience with a 267 route bus driver.

We understand that bus drivers are a key factor in your level of satisfaction and as such, we require them to conduct themselves professionally to provide a positive customer service experience. Every driver participates in customer service training during their induction and regular refresher training is provided.

I regret that on this occasion, the driver’s actions have not met your expectations. From your account of the incident, it would appear that the driver has also not met the standard required by TransLink and our service provider. As such, the matter has been referred to Veolia to conduct an investigation and address this matter as most appropriate based on their findings.

We value your feedback in our endeavour to make travel easier for our customers while delivering quality customer service. I thank you for taking the time to bring this matter to our attention.

I trust that this information is of assistance, should you require further information about public transport in South East Queensland please visit the TransLink website at http://www.translink.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . Alternatively, the TransLink Contact Centre is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week on 13 12 30 or for callers outside of the TransLink service area on 07 3851 8700.

Last night heading up the hill I was passed by 3 buses, all passed very carefully with lots of room, I hope the word has gone around the depo's to pass safely.
Its a form letter. I've had similar from them before, although then I heard back from the bus people to say they were going to include my video in their training so it did actually get forwarded. Every little bit helps in the end, hopefully.

herzog

Postby herzog » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:13 pm

Care to post the video or are you waiting on a police response first?

HiChris

Postby HiChris » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:16 pm

I'm happy with Translink's response so I'm not sending it to the police, I think if they handle it internally and I get the police involved we will just generate another cyclist hater. I'll post a link to the video this evening.

herzog

Moron Motorists #3

Postby herzog » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:38 pm

Hopefully they do actually handle it internally rather than simple delete your email.

It's a bit concerning that the poster above commented that it's a generic form letter.

The fact that they even *have* a form letter for this suggests that it's happening frequently enough. It also suggests that whatever they are doing to 'handle it internally' isn't having much of an effect on the behaviour of the drivers.

fingy

Postby fingy » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:21 pm

Easter weekend nearly ended before it began :(

HiChris

Postby HiChris » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:04 pm

Close pass http://vimeo.com/92228195#t=0s action is about 50 seconds in.

alexander

Postby alexander » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:06 pm

fingy wrote:Easter weekend nearly ended before it began :(
dumb ass driving there. it's broad daylight, and they haven't even looked. because if they had they would have easily seen you.

nice work to avoid that, you could have easily gone across the hood.
If you've got a $10 head, get a $10 helmet

alexander

Postby alexander » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:22 pm

dungee wrote:Close pass http://vimeo.com/92228195#t=0s action is about 50 seconds in.
more than close, and I like how it's a busy road and you're making sure that everyone is able to pass, but take the lane to protect yourself and don't be a gutter bunny, otherwise they'll do that to you every time. It's your life and they don't care about it as much as you do, so be the person who got tooted and lived, rather than dead. ;)
If you've got a $10 head, get a $10 helmet

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:32 pm

Fark!

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:56 pm

That turkey needs a good kick up the coit :x
Dogs are the best people :wink:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:45 am

alexander wrote:
fingy wrote:Easter weekend nearly ended before it began :(
dumb ass driving there. it's broad daylight, and they haven't even looked. because if they had they would have easily seen you.

nice work to avoid that, you could have easily gone across the hood.
+1

please tell me you are taking that one to the cops

arkle

Postby arkle » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:55 am

http://road.cc/content/news/116750-text ... es-cyclist

“I just don’t care because I’ve already been through a lot of !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! and my car is like pretty expensive and now I have to fix it,” an Australian driver told police when she was questioned about a collision that resulted in a cyclist suffering severe injuries including a fractured spine.

“I’m kind of pissed off that the cyclist has hit the side of my car. I don’t agree that people texting and driving could hit a cyclist. I wasn’t on my phone when I hit the cyclist”, 21 year old Kimberly Davis said when interviewed by police in the Australian state of Victoria about the collision.

Her trial was told that Davis - who was driving on a provisional licence - had exchanged 22 text messages during her journey before hitting the cyclist and had used her phone 44 times in all. She originally faced 47 charges with one charge for every use of her phone.

It later emerged that between the time of the incident and this week's court hearing Davis was caught drink driving, registering a blood alcohol content reading of .07.

arkle
http://www.facebook.com/SteveHargreavesArtwork
instagram: @stevehargreavesartwork

minhyy

Postby minhyy » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:18 am

2 mins from home, riding down fairly wide/quiet road with no centre line, P plater swerves towards me and back out again, obviously to rile me up. Didn't flinch, but gave him a confused look as we crossed paths :?
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

Marto

Postby Marto » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:51 pm

herzog wrote:Hopefully they do actually handle it internally rather than simple delete your email.

It's a bit concerning that the poster above commented that it's a generic form letter.

The fact that they even *have* a form letter for this suggests that it's happening frequently enough. It also suggests that whatever they are doing to 'handle it internally' isn't having much of an effect on the behaviour of the drivers.
I've also received that form letter (in response to the "I dont give a s**t about the legislation" episode). It probably sits on their intranet under complaint letters, named cyclist_bus_complaint.doc, with [insert bus route] in the appropriate place.

Doesn't inspire much confidence that anything was done.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:05 pm

Marto wrote:
herzog wrote:Hopefully they do actually handle it internally rather than simple delete your email.

I've also received that form letter (in response to the "I dont give a s**t about the legislation" episode). It probably sits on their intranet under complaint letters, named cyclist_bus_complaint.doc, with [insert bus route] in the appropriate place.

Doesn't inspire much confidence that anything was done.
Is this translink re buses? Haha.

herzog

Postby herzog » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:41 pm

Sounds like a police report is called for. That might put a rocket under them.

Marto

Postby Marto » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:52 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:
Marto wrote: I've also received that form letter...
Yes - sound familiar? For context for those outside of Brisbane, it is a Translink reply letter to complaints, see http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 9#p1114814" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; .

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:44 pm

From the comments in that link;

I love Aussies! It must be the high-octane mix of low IQ and inability to recognize the consequence of action.

(Which is why I emigrated away)

Accurate for a seemingly large proportion of Aus and particularly pertinent with respect to driving attitudes :(
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Ross

Postby Ross » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:47 pm

Driver does 200km/h in Operation Tortoise

http://www.news.com.au/national/breakin ... public_rss" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A 23-YEAR-OLD man who was allegedly clocked driving at 200km/h in a 100km/h zone on NSW's mid north coast has been charged with speeding offences and had his licence suspended.
Interesting that they suspend his licence on the spot (and confiscate the plates off the car) just for speeding. Yet a driver hits a cyclist with their car and kills or maims them and the driver can get off with as little as losing only 1 demirit point. In which Universe is this acceptable? Not the one I live in. :?

Ross

Postby Ross » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:20 pm

Driver runs over cyclist’s bike and drags it 1km

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslo ... 6888225532" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:08 pm

Ross wrote:Driver does 200km/h in Operation Tortoise

http://www.news.com.au/national/breakin ... public_rss" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A 23-YEAR-OLD man who was allegedly clocked driving at 200km/h in a 100km/h zone on NSW's mid north coast has been charged with speeding offences and had his licence suspended.
Interesting that they suspend his licence on the spot (and confiscate the plates off the car) just for speeding. Yet a driver hits a cyclist with their car and kills or maims them and the driver can get off with as little as losing only 1 demirit point. In which Universe is this acceptable? Not the one I live in. :?
In Victoria this is covered under fairly recent 'Hoon driving' legislation. Amongst all the burn-outs, drink-driving and drug-affected driving, police can also impound/immobilize the car of someone they have "reasonable grounds for believing" has committed the offence of driving more than 70kmh over the speed limit, on the spot for 30 days for first offence. For 3 years, or complete forfeiture (car-crushing) for further offences.

200kmh in a 100 zone..... hardly just a bit of speeding. Would you regard such a driver as a dangerous hoon? I know I would.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Ross

Postby Ross » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:38 am

il padrone wrote:
200kmh in a 100 zone..... hardly just a bit of speeding. Would you regard such a driver as a dangerous hoon? I know I would.
Yes he may be a hoon and yes it was excessive speed he was travelling at (though it was on a freeway) but he didn't actually have a crash or indeed hurt anyone. As I said there are drivers who run into cyclists and maim or kill them and they are free to go until months later when they have their court appearance and often after giving some flimsy excuse the magistrate gives the offender a token punishment. To my way of thinking the two incidents are worlds apart in seriousness and consequence and the punishment for each is around the wrong way. Or perhaps the harsher penalty should apply to both.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:37 am

Had trouble getting a NSW Police Officer to take a report of dangerous driving seriously ? Perhaps it was this officer
Canberra Times wrote:Off-duty officer charged over Sydney chase

A Sydney police officer will face court after he allegedly fled from police on a motorcycle, speeding and running a red light, while he was off-duty. Police said officers were patrolling Eastwood in northwest Sydney at about 3am on Friday when they saw a motorcycle speeding. Officers said they pursued the bike as it ran a red light and then continued travelling at an estimated speed of 120km/h in a 50km/h zone. The man was eventually stopped on a pedestrian lane way and was given a road-side breath test, which returned a negative result.

He is due to appear at Burwood Local Court on June 4, facing police pursuit and failing to stop for a red traffic light charges.
Some might think this is a damning indictment on NSW Police. I take a different view - Not too long go the police officer would have been sent on his way with a naughty boy comment
Anything you can do, I can do slower

Ross

Postby Ross » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:33 pm

It will be interesting to see the outcome of this. IMO he should get instant dismissal and then deal with the courts on the charges.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:35 pm

Marto wrote:
Lukeyboy wrote:
Marto wrote: I've also received that form letter...
Yes - sound familiar?
Indeed it does.

Dear Luke

Thank you for your contact with TransLink.

TransLink and our delivery partners place great importance on providing a high standard of customer service, and I was concerned to read your feedback about your recent experience with a 590 route bus driver.

We understand that bus drivers are a key factor in your level of satisfaction and as such, we require them to conduct themselves professionally to provide a positive customer service experience. Every driver participates in customer service training during their induction and regular refresher training is provided.

I regret that on this occasion, the driver’s actions have not met your expectations. From your account of the incident, it would appear that the driver has also not met the standard required by TransLink and our service provider. As such, the matter has been referred to Brisbane Transport to conduct an investigation and address this matter as most appropriate based on their findings.

We value your feedback in our endeavour to make travel easier for our customers while delivering quality customer service. I thank you for taking the time to bring this matter to our attention.

I trust that this information is of assistance, should you require further information about public transport in South East Queensland please visit the TransLink website at http://www.translink.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . Alternatively, the TransLink Contact Centre is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week on 13 12 30 or for callers outside of the TransLink service area on 07 3851 8700.

Kind regards

TransLink Customer Support
The Brisbane City Council didn't want to hear anything about it and told me to report it to Translink who will now forward it to Brisbane Transport which is a council owned and run bus operator for the Brisbane City Council............ Pass the parcel. Maybe I should follow it up with a reply about what further action or actions has been taken to improve that these types of incidents don't occur again.
Last edited by Lukeyboy on Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.