Moron Motorists #3

RobertL

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby RobertL » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:03 am

pj wrote:In the second clip the driver was less than 40m from a stationary queue of traffic, what was he hoping to achieve?
But he had no idea that there was a stationary queue of traffic 40m ahead - how could he have? Did you expect him to look up? Plan ahead? That's not how it's done!

pj

Postby pj » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:36 am

RobertL wrote:
pj wrote:In the second clip the driver was less than 40m from a stationary queue of traffic, what was he hoping to achieve?
But he had no idea that there was a stationary queue of traffic 40m ahead - how could he have? Did you expect him to look up? Plan ahead? That's not how it's done!
:lol: he must have been dazzled by my rear light
find_bruce wrote:Oh look, here is a green lane that doesn't have any cars in it, the perfect place to drive my urban assault vehicle

Police are apparently "reviewing" the incident. What's the bet it is brushed off as a whoopsie & nobody got killed so its all ok

That's a shocker, lucky nobody got hurt.

Az0r_au

Postby Az0r_au » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:38 am

He has pleaded guilty to possessing a prohibited drug but also faces charges of resisting arrest, riding a bicycle furiously, not wearing a helmet, being in custody of a knife and possessing equipment for administering a prohibited drug.
Hahaha. TIL that "riding a bicycle furiously" is a crime!

malnar

Postby malnar » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:10 am

Had fun messing with a guy's mind yesterday.

Was driving at 60 in a 60 zone. Cars ahead of me doing about 60. Single lane but it's a wider than standard lane. Navara or similar behind me far too close & positioned on the right of the lane. I ease off to 55 & move over to the left of the lane. He could almost pass me, but couldn't, hahaha.
Next, he's on the horn. So, I slow to about 50 and at a roundabout come to a stop for a second or two even though there's nothing on the right. A lot more horn use then of course + arm flails. Last seen turning left into a 50 zone with aggressive acceleration. Towing a trailer too. Goose.

sobmal

Postby sobmal » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:50 am

malnar wrote:Had fun messing with a guy's mind yesterday.

Was driving at 60 in a 60 zone. Cars ahead of me doing about 60. Single lane but it's a wider than standard lane. Navara or similar behind me far too close & positioned on the right of the lane. I ease off to 55 & move over to the left of the lane. He could almost pass me, but couldn't, hahaha.
Next, he's on the horn. So, I slow to about 50 and at a roundabout come to a stop for a second or two even though there's nothing on the right. A lot more horn use then of course + arm flails. Last seen turning left into a 50 zone with aggressive acceleration. Towing a trailer too. Goose.
Passive or aggressive? its of little difference as you both were using a car to intimidate.. Its terrible that we have to share the road with the likes of both of you.

malnar

Postby malnar » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:14 am

Ok so what do you do in that situation, nothing?

hunch

Postby hunch » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:40 am

I seem to remember in motorcycle advanced training, the official line to discourage tailgating, was to progressively reduce speed....so wouldn't go as far as saying that's anything like intimidation. The momentary stop at the roundabout, might be considered at worst, a bit discourteous, but usually if anybody is doing stuff out of the ordinary, normally a sign to me in both car and bike to give more than ample room for the unexpected.

Of course, with the road rage loonies out there now, you might end up being chased with a chainsaw. :lol:

Ross

Postby Ross » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:22 pm

malnar wrote:Ok so what do you do in that situation, nothing?
Yes, not your job to enforce the law. You were just antagonising the other driver and causing/contributing to the road rage.

human909

Postby human909 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:23 pm

Ross wrote:Yes, not your job to enforce the law. You were just antagonising the other driver and causing/contributing to the road rage.
How is driving enforcing the law? His "job", as you put it,is not to put his own safety at risk.

If somebody is dangerously tailgating you the solution isn't to speed up. :wink:

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:47 pm

malnar wrote:Had fun messing with a guy's mind yesterday.

I slow as you did but let them pass these days, letting them know they are dicks. Used to return the behaviour, but with age comes more kama :wink: . Just think what his poor wife and kids have to deal with when he gets home.

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:09 pm

My strategy is to slow down a bit, then accelerate to make a gap.

But sometimes that is not feasible, like yesterday when the tailgater was a semi-trailer; in that case I just took evasive action to let him pass. Yes I know that's caving into bullying, but I figure he will eventually get noticed by the cops.

Sully

Postby Sully » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:50 am

You need a couple of these.

cogs19

Postby cogs19 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:57 am

cogs19 wrote:
cogs19 wrote:This evening I was rear ended by a motorist going through a roundabout.

Typical issue of wanting to get in front of me and failing, so honked at me persistently. I slowed in the roundabout and gestured "what do you want" and there was a flurry of activity in the driver seat indicating for me to move over to the left - which I refused to do. The car then lurched a couple of times towards me in a threatening manner, the second time connecting with my back wheel resulting in buckling and a broken spoken. There was then a verbal altercation - she then drove off.

So it is with the police now. Constable was pretty friendly and showed concern. She is seeking to contact the driver and urge her to exchange details. And then she says the police will no longer be involved. There will only be an investigation if the driver disputes my story. BTW it's all on camera (front and rear) and witness stopped and kindly gave me her number and said she is willing to make statement.

So does anyone find this strange - a driver (according to me) causes an accident and then drives off and the police are not interested in following that up with a view to penalising her?

Anyway - I'll keep you posted.

Been commuting for over ten years, with cameras for the last three, and this is first time needing to go to the police.
Just a follow up:

Police contacted me today and have decided to charge the driver. The officer left a message so didn’t get any of the finer details. I’ll follow up tomorrow. All I know is she has a date in court. I still don’t have the driver’s details - I’ve got a bill for a new wheel with her name on it!
Finally received a confirmation of the finer details on this one. Driver has been charged with Careless Driving and Leaving the Scene of an Accident. The prosecution (ie police) has recommend a Diversion Order. I'll be providing a copy of receipts for repairs and replacement of the back wheel. So I expect I will be fully compensated in due course. Seems like a satisfactory outcome.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:24 am

cogs19 wrote:So it is with the police now. Constable was pretty friendly and showed concern. She is seeking to contact the driver and urge her to exchange details. And then she says the police will no longer be involved. There will only be an investigation if the driver disputes my story.
Sorry for being late to this - one possible explanation for the Constable's statement is that, in NSW at least, if a person is issued with an infringement notice (as opposed to a Court attendance notice) - the person has a choice of paying the fine or taking it to court. Unless they take it to court, the police have no further involvement & the fines are dealt with by the Office of State Revenue. I think that other states have similar processes, but I haven't checked.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:31 pm

Idiot in a Range Rover today.

Coming up to a tram stop where the road narrows and non-trams have to go in a thin section, he is too far behind to get past me but does so anyway, cutting me off after passing very close. Later I get past him again and I get a close pass for my trouble.

Was back ahead of him a few hundred metres later and that was in not particularly heavy traffic (school holidays).

I just don't get it. Didn't save the moron even 1 second. Probably caused his blood pressure to rise and all for nothing.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

TrikeTragic

Postby TrikeTragic » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:48 am

^^^^^^
MGIF Gene is dominant in some. :cry:

Cheers
Alan
BentCyclist

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:48 pm

malnar wrote:Ok so what do you do in that situation, nothing?
During H/V training my son was told repeatedly that the horn was a warning device, only to be used in an emergency or similar. So for two months after getting his license every time someone blasts him he stops the truck, checks that it’s all good then asks the driver what the emergency is? :lol:

Thankfully the novelty wore off.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:42 pm

sobmal wrote:Passive or aggressive? its of little difference as you both were using a car to intimidate.. Its terrible that we have to share the road with the likes of both of you.
These days if someone wants to climb into my trunk I just gradually ease off the throttle and let them pass when there's an opportunity. Don't want to suprise them. Nor will I reward aggressive behaviour by speeding up. Too many ways for it to go seriously pear-shaped.

pj

Postby pj » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:43 pm

Check this out, we can only dream.......

"We have launched a web portal for people to report traffic offences and upload evidence"

human909

Postby human909 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:23 am

pj wrote:Check this out, we can only dream.......

"We have launched a web portal for people to report traffic offences and upload evidence"
We can only dream...

I would dream of even stronger charges. If I threaten somebody with a deadly weapon then I charged with something more than 'not paying attention'.

There should be ZERO tolerance of threatening vulnerable users with motor vehicles. It shouldn't be treated as a mere traffic offence.

Az0r_au

Postby Az0r_au » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:47 pm

human909 wrote: I would dream of even stronger charges. If I threaten somebody with a deadly weapon then I charged with something more than 'not paying attention'.

There should be ZERO tolerance of threatening vulnerable users with motor vehicles. It shouldn't be treated as a mere traffic offence.
Agreed, should be an "agrivated" version of the charges for drivers that intentionally drive like this.

uart

Postby uart » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:47 pm

human909 wrote: I would dream of even stronger charges. If I threaten somebody with a deadly weapon then I charged with something more than 'not paying attention'.
Yep, I was thinking exactly the same thing.

Say I had a gun license and I start using my gun to intimidate my neighbors. Only the ones I don't like of course. Maybe fire off a few bullets close to their heads if I see them in the street. Enough to put them in significant danger, but hey I just missed so no real damage. What? So I could expect a tiny fine, and to keep my gun license. Just go about business as usual - maybe do it again next week. Not likely! :x

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:45 pm

uart wrote:

Say I had a gun license and I start using my gun to intimidate my neighbors. Only the ones I don't like of course. Maybe fire off a few bullets close to their heads if I see them in the street. Enough to put them in significant danger, but hey I just missed so no real damage. What? So I could expect a tiny fine, and to keep my gun license. Just go about business as usual - maybe do it again next week. Not likely! :x
Will your neighbour be able to provide video evidence of the bullet going past them, supported with measurements and find a Police officer willing to lay charges?
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

pj

Postby pj » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:50 pm

mikesbytes wrote:
uart wrote:

Will your neighbour be able to provide video evidence of the bullet going past them, supported with measurements and find a Police officer willing to lay charges?
Also why were you walking on that street? Was there not a safer street you could have walked down? One with less stray bullets?

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:30 pm

PJ you do realise that is pretty much how a significant part of our population is treated if they report a particular crime
Anything you can do, I can do slower