Moron Motorists #3

Lukeyboy

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:06 pm

Doing 45-50kph and I see a 4WD start to creep forward so I decided to quickly light up the cars interior with the helmet light as a don't pull out warning. He ends up pulling out across my path. Even raised his hand to shield his eyes from the light. Bastard.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:15 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:Doing 45-50kph and I see a 4WD start to creep forward so I decided to quickly light up the cars interior with the helmet light as a don't pull out warning. He ends up pulling out across my path. Even raised his hand to shield his eyes from the light. Bastard.
I hope you gave him a mouthful.

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:05 pm

Not the worst I've seen, and not to me, but you'd have thought that a Queenslander would know better. It is so hard to convince some drivers to cross the paint sometimes.

Cheers,

Cameron

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:10 pm

Going opposite ways but I did drop a few choice words in his direction under breaking. Even made sure to light up the inside of his car until he was completely past me.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:29 pm

Something I discovered today, despite their apparent inability to see you, moron drivers can still understand sign language.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:30 am

elantra wrote:They say it happens a lot these days but I am still shocked . Saw a lady driving along a busy road today looking down at her phone, presumably text messages.
Even worse - was a Victorian driver.
VIC rego plates and was not a hire car
A couple of weekends ago I was taking the Western Freeway detour in my car along Ballarat Road due to the resurfacing works . At the last traffic light before we hopped back on the freeway both the car in front of me (a P-plater) and the guy in the 4WD in the lane beside me missed the change of the traffic lights to green as they were both looking down at their laps. The guy beside me proceeded to continue looking down at his lap as we were accelerating to 100kph. I wasn't comfortable hanging around him after seeing the obvious phone usage and lack of awareness. At least the P-plater seemed to put her phone down to drive.
Last edited by Summernight on Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

silentC

Postby silentC » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:44 am

Before mobile phones and laptops, one of the execs at work was well known for reading his paper at the traffic lights. Twice that we know of he rear-ended the car in front because the lights would change and he would start moving off while still reading.
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

duncan16v

Postby duncan16v » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:44 pm

Anyone know if the Talia Jade Van-Rysewyck case has returned to court? Google is silent on the matter.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/stor ... ot-guilty/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:10 pm

Blast the horn if you see people using their phone or not paying attention. It's a Pavlovian manipulation, but it works. People bhave badly on the roads because no one "calls them" on it. If they get blasted, it breaks their pattern, even just a little bit. They KNOW they shouldn't be using their phone. It just jolts them out of their comfort zone when they realise that something happened outside the car that they weren't expecting.

Cinder

Postby Cinder » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:38 pm

Xplora wrote:Blast the horn if you see people using their phone or not paying attention. It's a Pavlovian manipulation, but it works. People bhave badly on the roads because no one "calls them" on it. If they get blasted, it breaks their pattern, even just a little bit. They KNOW they shouldn't be using their phone. It just jolts them out of their comfort zone when they realise that something happened outside the car that they weren't expecting.
I love doing this, particularly to people in convertibles. If nothing else you can ruin their conversation....
*** insert signature here ***

Biffidus

Postby Biffidus » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:29 pm

I had to wait for this genius the other morning...
He was doing about 40 in a 60 zone while completely engrossed in his phone.

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:34 pm

Xplora wrote:Blast the horn if you see people using their phone or not paying attention. It's a Pavlovian manipulation, but it works. People bhave badly on the roads because no one "calls them" on it. If they get blasted, it breaks their pattern, even just a little bit. They KNOW they shouldn't be using their phone. It just jolts them out of their comfort zone when they realise that something happened outside the car that they weren't expecting.
I did exactly that to a stupid girl in a small Mazda while driving in yesterday's peak home. She was weaving all over the lane on the Gore Hill freeway (80kph peak hr traffic flowing at 70+). When I was along side I saw her looking down at her phone. A lot of tooting on my part got her attention. Idiot.
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

cp123

Postby cp123 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:22 pm

Duncan - I asked the same question about 10 days ago on both the cycle and safe cycling Australia FB pages. The reply was that she was given an extension to the second extension but that they had a number of Sydney locals who were keeping an eye on it with a view to attending.

I reckon the longer she gets away with it the less chance she'll have of getting pinged!!! :evil:

duncan16v

Postby duncan16v » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:29 pm

cp123 wrote:Duncan - I asked the same question about 10 days ago on both the cycle and safe cycling Australia FB pages. The reply was that she was given an extension to the second extension but that they had a number of Sydney locals who were keeping an eye on it with a view to attending.

I reckon the longer she gets away with it the less chance she'll have of getting pinged!!! :evil:
:roll:

herzog

Postby herzog » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:34 pm

Justice delayed is justice denied

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:41 pm

find_bruce wrote:Something I discovered today, despite their apparent inability to see you, moron drivers can still understand sign language.
:lol: :lol: :lol: You have a way with words :D

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:51 pm

Tonight's first MM was my local Liberal candidate at the last state election, Jesse Jacobs:

Jesse pulled about a metre out onto the road in front of me at a T-intersection before eventually deciding to give way. I'd already pulled well away from the curb and eased off the speed when I saw the headlights approaching so was in no real danger but you'd think someone who has their name written in foot high letters on the side of their car would pay more attention to their driving.

The second MM came along 500m further up the road where I stopped at a stop sign preparing to continue straight ahead when the car waiting to turn right at the stop sign across the way pulled out across me as I entered the intersection. Unwilling to risk crossing in front of him I slowed and rode around the back of his car as I gave him a free candid assessment of his driving skills and character.

HiChris

Postby HiChris » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:06 am

Had a semi-trailer pass me at speed with about 300mm to spare on Old Cleveland Rd yesterday, it was quite an effort to maintain control as the trailer wheels rumbled by in the 70k zone. Sent the footage and pic showing the incident to the Police. Lets see if they do anything about this one?

I'm thinking if I had taken more lane here I may just be a red smear on his bumper as he showed no inclination to slow or avoid me. Perhaps he was otherwise occupied. Unfortunately I couldn't catch him at the next set of lights, I was a little angry...

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:55 am

dungee wrote:Had a semi-trailer pass me at speed with about 300mm to spare on Old Cleveland Rd yesterday, it was quite an effort to maintain control as the trailer wheels rumbled by in the 70k zone. Sent the footage and pic showing the incident to the Police. Lets see if they do anything about this one?
if they don't contact me and I'll send you a copy of my speeding ticket to ask them what laws they are enforcing.

Ross

Postby Ross » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:31 am

Rest day today so just doing an easy 16km commute to work. 20 metres from home MM backs his Toyota Kluger 4WD out of his driveway and almost over my. Luckily I see MM backing out the driveway and anticipate what is likely to happen and swerve out of his way. I continue on my way to the end of the street (about 50 metres) and same MM roars past me to get in front so he can turn without getting held up by pesky cyclist (that's presuming he actually saw me in the first place). I'm slightly annoyed because he slows ME down by having to come to a stop at the intersection but I'm not in a hurry and I figure I'm much better off if this MM is far away from me.

elantra

Postby elantra » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:15 pm

warthog1 wrote:
wellington_street wrote:
warthog1 wrote:He was lucky he didn't get stuck at the lights 1 k up the road. :x
Yes, the one thing I do like is that on my commute there are traffic signals every block or two so a close-passing moron doesn't get far before I have the opportunity to discuss his/her behavior with them, or go sailing past all the stopped traffic blowing kisses.

This morning's genius told me "well you shouldn't be riding in the middle of the road" (three lane, one-way road where only the middle lane goes straight so I'm in the middle lane) - I'm sure he'd be whinging at those law breaking cyclists if I wasn't in that lane :roll:
I was pretty bloody angry so its probably a good thing I didn't catch up with him. There is a good chance I'll see him again sometime though, at least I'll have more chance of being a bit more rational.

Yep you can't win with this morning's type of moron you encountered. We are a very stupid country.
Australia, nice place, shame about (some) of the people.

Really, there must be a huge amount of psychology about what happens (unfortunately) to one's ego and rationality when behind the wheel of a car.

silentC

Postby silentC » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:38 pm

Hello, my name is Darren and I used to be a road rager.

I was shocking when I was in my 20's and early 30's driving around Sydney. Man didn't I own the road. I even road raged one of the senior guys from work once without realising it. Fortunately he didn't recognise me. You'd think I would learn my lesson after that but no. I guess I was always in a hurry to get somewhere, mostly work. It was completely irrational and not at all like my usual persona, which is generally laid back. The way I turned it around was to stop listening to Triple J in the car (this was back in the days of alternate rock, not the poppy stuff they play these days). I tuned in Classic FM and it was amazing how much difference it made to my commute. So there is your answer.
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby antigee » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:33 pm

Biffidus wrote:I had to wait for this genius the other morning...
He was doing about 40 in a 60 zone while completely engrossed in his phone.
might have been turning the iron off

http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/forg ... zs5md.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or as Paul from Sydney points out in the comments - recording a tv program?

"I already have this technnology and its in android. I can use my mobile while driving my car and use Foxtel. I can records, change channels etc. I can also use my Sony Media Centre and stop a DVD playing (not sure why) or play one........." :roll:

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:04 am

silentC wrote:Hello, my name is Darren and I used to be a road rager.

I was shocking when I was in my 20's and early 30's driving around Sydney. Man didn't I own the road. I even road raged one of the senior guys from work once without realising it. Fortunately he didn't recognise me. You'd think I would learn my lesson after that but no. I guess I was always in a hurry to get somewhere, mostly work. It was completely irrational and not at all like my usual persona, which is generally laid back. The way I turned it around was to stop listening to Triple J in the car (this was back in the days of alternate rock, not the poppy stuff they play these days). I tuned in Classic FM and it was amazing how much difference it made to my commute. So there is your answer.
Just one small warning: if they say they are about to play Shostakovich's 5th Symphony, turn off the radio. One serve of that and you will be swerving to run people over (3rd movement is the killer from memory). Magnificent piece of music but I think Dimitri forgot to take his anger management pills that morning ;)

What is it about drivers and how their behaviour appears in patterns? On this morning's commute, StKilda Rd today, I had to swerve around about 5 cars which had half-parked to drop someone off and left their rear end over the bike path. Normally see this once every now and again, but a whole bunch did it this morning. Selfish gits, just can't be bothered getting properly off the road and figure the quite busy bike lane is fine to block. Also a car standing in the bike lane on Beach Rd this afternoon. Seems to have been the day for the morons to block the bike lanes :evil:

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

Percrime

Postby Percrime » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:11 am

DavidS wrote:Seems to have been the day for the morons to block the bike lanes :evil:

DS
Tis m experience that this is every day