Moron Motorists #3

Ross

Re: Meanwhile, in Brisbane, the drunks are avoiding the road

Postby Ross » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:11 am

murbul wrote:
Thoglette wrote: Later reports indicate unlicensed driver in an unregistered vehicle three times over the limit. But it's technically not a roadway. So what to charge the driver with?
The offence of drink driving is found in Section 79 of the Transport Operations (Road Use) Management Act 1995 and provides that a person commits an offence if they drive, attempt to put in motion or are in charge of a motor vehicle whilst over the legal alcohol limit. This section makes no mention of having to be on a road.
There was a guy a while back (couple of years or so) who was drink driving at a B&S event and ran over someone sleeping in the paddock. There was much discussion about it at the time here at BNA.

Ross

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Ross » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:14 am

"Despite the footage being filmed in a vertical format typical of mobile footage, and bobbing up and down at what appeared to be chest level, Mr Butt said he had filmed it on a GoPro attached to his hat."

http://www.bordermail.com.au/story/5182 ... ing/?cs=11

What a load of BS. So obviously filmed using a mobile phone unless the guy is a midget. Bet the cops do nothing about it .

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Meanwhile, in Brisbane, the drunks are avoiding the road

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:27 am

Ross wrote:
murbul wrote:
Thoglette wrote: Later reports indicate unlicensed driver in an unregistered vehicle three times over the limit. But it's technically not a roadway. So what to charge the driver with?
The offence of drink driving is found in Section 79 of the Transport Operations (Road Use) Management Act 1995 and provides that a person commits an offence if they drive, attempt to put in motion or are in charge of a motor vehicle whilst over the legal alcohol limit. This section makes no mention of having to be on a road.
There was a guy a while back (couple of years or so) who was drink driving at a B&S event and ran over someone sleeping in the paddock. There was much discussion about it at the time here at BNA.
I was thinking of that one too. The law didn't apply as he wasn't driving on a road. The law has since been changed
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:33 am

Ross wrote:"Despite the footage being filmed in a vertical format typical of mobile footage, and bobbing up and down at what appeared to be chest level, Mr Butt said he had filmed it on a GoPro attached to his hat."

What a load of BS. So obviously filmed using a mobile phone unless the guy is a midget. Bet the cops do nothing about it .
Yes, got to say the truckie's on a sticky wicket here unless he has a chest mounted Go-Pro mount (and a loose one at that). I would like to analyse the original recording's format as well to try and verify the device but I fear we have Buckly's chance there.
However, I would say, even tho the four cyclists are well within the law we normally single out if a truck is coming up behind on a country road. Looks like you've made an effort and often gets an appreciative wave or honk on the horn. Ok this is a pain if it happens every couple of minutes but not every 10-20 mins which is my experience out in the sticks in NSW. If the traffic is that busy that the singling manouvere becomes a pain maybe a single line might be more appropriate (tho admittedly not required)

Richard

silentC

Postby silentC » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:27 am

I doubt he's ever seen a GoPro if he thinks he can mount one on the peak of his cap....
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:27 pm

silentC wrote:I doubt he's ever seen a GoPro if he thinks he can mount one on the peak of his cap....
and I don't know if you can rotate them 90degrees either, can def flip the image 180 though.

Filming in portrait mode is one of my pet hates.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:46 pm

silentC wrote:I doubt he's ever seen a GoPro if he thinks he can mount one on the peak of his cap....
Google it. It can be done and products exist. (Though of course that doesn't mean he's necessarily telling the truth).

uart

Postby uart » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:04 pm

Ross wrote:"Despite the footage being filmed in a vertical format typical of mobile footage, and bobbing up and down at what appeared to be chest level, Mr Butt said he had filmed it on a GoPro attached to his hat."
It's interesting that his "hat" goes down below steering wheel level at 0:41 isn't it. :shock:

silentC

Postby silentC » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:44 pm

AdelaidePeter wrote:
Google it. It can be done and products exist. (Though of course that doesn't mean he's necessarily telling the truth).
Well you learn something new every day.
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:55 pm

silentC wrote:
AdelaidePeter wrote:
Well you learn something new every day.
I don't know of any GoPro setting that gives anywhere near the kind of aspect ratio shown in that video, though: does such a setting exist? I know there's a "narrow" setting, but it still produces videos that are slightly wider than their height.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:56 pm

The duty lawyer said the facts were accepted and Waheed came to Australia on a student visa four years ago from Pakistan.

She said he found the laws ‘quite different here’ compared to Pakistan and he did not realise he would be in trouble if he continued to drive.
* Convicted for driving without a licence three times;
* $20,620.63 in outstanding fines
* Working part-time; supporting family. What is the chances these fines will ever get paid?

Outcome? ....
The lawyer asked for fines as opposed to prison as he was working part-time in a kebab shop and had a family to support....

She [Magistrate] sentenced him to seven months imprisonment suspended for 12 months and disqualified him from driving for 12 months.
Conclusion?: The Magistrate is a waste of time; the laws are a waste of time and this was a total waste of our money. Shouldn't bother prosecuting, just let people do what they like.

Source: Weekend Courier

Ross

Postby Ross » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:12 pm

Follow up story - cyclists side of the story. Three of the riders are solicitors...

http://www.bordermail.com.au/story/5185 ... age/?cs=11

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:20 pm

Surprise surprise it includes a poll. The level of ignorance of the law shown in the poll should not be surprising I suppose :cry: . It seems driving a B-Double using a mobile phone is now okay :roll:

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:49 pm

I've heard unconfirmed whispers he had kids in the cab with him too.

Frackin hope not

EDIT. Just had another look at the video with a headset on. Sure sounds like a kids voice...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

HenryCharlie

Postby HenryCharlie » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:10 am

Yes, he's a great role model for his children.
I overtook some people going uphill once.

silentC

Postby silentC » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:29 am

Another day another d***head. Tried to overtake me going into a roundabout. I heard him on my wheel so I pulled across to take up the lane about 5 metres out, so he starts ranting out the window at me as we go into the roundabout, with him beside me on my right. Consolation was that I know he was going to go straight ahead in the roundabout, same direction as me, because it leads to the beach car park where I was heading and he goes there every morning to meet his loser mates and sit there pretending to check out the surf, even though none of us have ever seen him or any of his mates actually in the water. He changed his mind and turned right, presumably to avoid a confrontation because where he was going is a dead end. That made me feel a little bit better but I bet the story his mates down at the car park heard was a different version of events.
- Me

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:29 am

silentC wrote:Tried to overtake me going into a roundabout.
Stupid thing is that 90% of the time a bicycle is going to pass through the roundabout quicker than a car anyway.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

silentC

Postby silentC » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:37 pm

Yeah I was probably doing 30 something on the approach until I had to look around to see what he thought he was doing. There are concrete median strips on the approach, so no way was I letting him get up beside me.

Anyway it made him take an unnecessary detour, so all good. His mates were down at the car park waiting for him but I thought better of letting them know he'd be a bit late :)
- Me

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:09 pm

silentC wrote:Tried to overtake me going into a roundabout..
Car drivers, on the whole, have no clue about cyclist speeds through roundabouts. Claiming the lane is the only option.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:05 pm

Thoglette wrote:
silentC wrote:Tried to overtake me going into a roundabout..
Car drivers, on the whole, have no clue about cyclist speeds through roundabouts. Claiming the lane is the only option.
Except you could have omitted "through roundabouts". I've had left or right hooks by motorists who were clearly convinced they had enough time to turn in front of me, and I believe the main cause of this is complete failure to correctly estimate my speed. There are probably also other cases where bad speed estimation by motorists causes problems for cyclists.

silentC

Postby silentC » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:08 pm

yes as I've said before, you may as well be a piece of street furniture, you don't come into their estimation until you're in their bloody way...
- Me

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:39 pm

(never mind)

silentC

Postby silentC » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:09 pm

Are you psychic? Just as I clicked into this thread and read your interesting post to it, "In Bloom" by Nirvana was playing on the radio.
- Me

Ross

Postby Ross » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:12 pm

Driver denies he was to blame for collision with pedestrian

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia ... ocid=ientp

Ross

Postby Ross » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:18 pm

Driver crashed into police, service station with kids in car, police allege

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia ... ocid=ientp