Moron Motorists #3

kb

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby kb » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:48 am

I think it's because indicating gives other drivers a chance to squeeze you out. Better off taking them by surprise.

Ross

Postby Ross » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:01 am

mattwilkinson wrote:
(I have nothing against a $6 spy camera - where'd you get it BTW?)
Fleebay,
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/310571044434 ... 1439.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I just bought one of these but I'm having trouble understanding the Franglish instructions on how to use it. Is it the button on the right closest to you that turns it on (if holding with key ring closest to you) and the other button that makes the video work? Can you take still pics? Is it a replaceable battery? Do you need a video storage card to make it work or does it have limited internal memory?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:36 pm

find_bruce wrote:Are you sure they meant to indicate ? Sometimes I wonder if they accidentally hit the indicator as the turned the wheel :roll:
No accident. Extending a digit to brush against the stalk whilst actually turning the wheel is fast becoming the standard down here. :(
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

mattwilkinson

Postby mattwilkinson » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:49 pm

Ross wrote:
mattwilkinson wrote:
(I have nothing against a $6 spy camera - where'd you get it BTW?)
Fleebay,
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/310571044434 ... 1439.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I just bought one of these but I'm having trouble understanding the Franglish instructions on how to use it. Is it the button on the right closest to you that turns it on (if holding with key ring closest to you) and the other button that makes the video work? Can you take still pics? Is it a replaceable battery? Do you need a video storage card to make it work or does it have limited internal memory?
Hi Ross,

The 2 buttons closest to you do not work, Well they shouldn't. These are dummy buttons and I don't even know why they are there.

The other 2 buttons nearest to the lens are the ones that work. Hold down the 'longer' button for a couple of seconds until it turns on.

To take a photo:
Just press the short button once, The LED should flash

To take a video:
Hold down the short button, It will flash a few times & let go once the LED turns off.
Now it is recording, To stop recording just hold down the same button til the led comes on again.

Now press the 'long' button to turn it off.

PM me for anything else!

Matt

VRE

Postby VRE » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:03 pm

kb wrote:I think it's because indicating gives other drivers a chance to squeeze you out. Better off taking them by surprise.
Sounds like the Wild West analogy works really well. Taking them by surprise is the 'quick draw of the gun'. This would almost be funny, if it wasn't costing cyclists' lives.

MisuVir

Postby MisuVir » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:50 pm

find_bruce wrote:Are you sure they meant to indicate ? Sometimes I wonder if they accidentally hit the indicator as the turned the wheel :roll:
On my way home tonight (yay for working on Saturday), I was passed by a car on approach to a roundabout. They were indicating right going into the roundabout... and exited left. Not sure if they were just being stupid or if their indicators were wired the wrong way around.

jindydiver

Postby jindydiver » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:51 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
No accident. Extending a digit to brush against the stalk whilst actually turning the wheel is fast becoming the standard down here. :(
It is already the standard here in Canberra :?

skull

Postby skull » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:12 pm

jindydiver wrote:
Mulger bill wrote:
It is already the standard here in Canberra :?
It needs to be due to the fact if you ever inform other drivers you are about to change lanes they speed up and close the gap blocking you out.
Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:41 am

I seemed to cop the angry moron today.

Riding South down Beach Rd a car just reverses out into the bike lane without looking, hey, let's not worry about the traffic, there's a bike lane to reverse into and they don't matter. As I passed him I let fly a few choice words. He passes me a bit later and screamed something out the window, I didn't hear it but it didn't sound like an apology. Then a few hundred metres up the road he stops, presumably to have a friendly chat. I'm doing a decent speed so I'm not stopping to entertain him, what's he going to say, that somehow it's my fault he reversed straight in front of me? Later he passes me again honking his horn. Any guesses as to what he was driving? Bit obvious really - a prestige brand 4WD which would probably founder on anything but bitumen.

I just can't stand this attitude of extreme selfishness and then getting upset because other road users don't just acquiesce to their obvious importance. What a moron.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

jindydiver

Postby jindydiver » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:27 am

skull wrote:
It needs to be due to the fact if you ever inform other drivers you are about to change lanes they speed up and close the gap blocking you out.
Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2
Yep, another truism for canberra roads

Ross

Postby Ross » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:16 pm

Not sure if this has been posted somewhere already, I had a look and couldn't see anything.

A British pub landlord who says on FB that he wants to smash his 4WD into cyclists' rear wheels before later backpedaling and apologising

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BPJlKOECEAATF8V.png:large" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

arkle

Postby arkle » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:22 pm

Ross wrote:Not sure if this has been posted somewhere already, I had a look and couldn't see anything.

A British pub landlord who says on FB that he wants to smash his 4WD into cyclists' rear wheels before later backpedaling and apologising

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BPJlKOECEAATF8V.png:large" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Here he is, bless him.

https://www.facebook.com/james.walker.31392410" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

arkle
http://www.facebook.com/SteveHargreavesArtwork
instagram: @stevehargreavesartwork

BianchiCam

Postby BianchiCam » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:00 pm

Not so much a Motorist, but me this time. Had my trusty Cherrybomb light just a tad too close to the rear wheel. Along Shoreham Rd, Red Hill it decided that it would rather lay on the road in a gazillion pieces. Wasn't till I got home I remembered that it had my rechargeable batteries in it. Moron me more like!

Bah77

Postby Bah77 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:34 pm

You really dont expect to hear a scooter like sound coming up behind you on a cycle path.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:48 pm

Bah77 wrote:You really dont expect to hear a scooter like sound coming up behind you on a cycle path.
you obviously don't live far from me bah - that's the western fwy bikeway outbound coming up to the kenmore rd overpass.

Bah77

Postby Bah77 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:53 pm

Yeah that's the place, but i don't live that close to there, just went for a ride in that direction after doing a lap of coot-tha.

Timeonabike

Postby Timeonabike » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:26 pm

ldrcycles wrote:
Timeonabike wrote:This probably belongs to the category of Lamest Heckling of a cyclist ever...but it was done from a car so here it is.

On my ride home last night, some young ninny decides to lean out of a car window and yell out, at maximum throat tearing volume, "Guess what? Looks like your wheels are spinning".

It was so lame and so loud that I didn't even think it was directed at me, until I saw the video later on.
Huh? I don't get it.
I still don't.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:18 pm

Is your fridge running?

FuzzyDropbear

Postby FuzzyDropbear » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:15 am

Bah77 wrote:You really dont expect to hear a scooter like sound coming up behind you on a cycle path.
Those things are a pet hate of mine. Although, everytime I see one in winter, the rider is all geared up in a massive coat and thick pants, while I roll on by comfortable in my shorts and light jacket, I know I'd prefer to ride and be warm than to be lazy and cold. The local coppers did book a couple of them a while back when they were being abused and since them, the numbers of them have died down thankfully.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:20 am

That's just a recipe to be pulled over by police with that buzzing mosquito noise. Why not have an electric version that's dead quiet and more incognito? :|

nescius

Postby nescius » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:01 am

A couple from this morning:

1. Moron scooter rider must get in front then left hooks me turning into a driveway, unfortunately for him he overcooked it and ended up in the grass on the side of the driveway. I guess he seriously underestimated my speed, which I think must have been 40+ kmh at that point. I don't think he dropped the scooter, but hopefully he gave himself enough of a fright that he won't try that again in a hurry.

2. Moron Magna driver passed me way too close on a near empty road that was two lanes each way (Macarthur Ave for the locals), I guess changing lanes into the empty lane to his right was too much trouble, much better to endanger my life instead. Naturally I caught him at the next intersection, where he demonstrated that not only was he blind but he was also deaf, my window knocking and polite words went completely unheeded. How do these people manage to keep hold of their drivers licence?!
Scott Spark 900 RC | Yeti Arc | Yeti SB130 | Trek Madone 4.5 | Look 695 SR ipack

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:15 am

nescius wrote:2. Moron Magna driver passed me way too close on a near empty road that was two lanes each way (Macarthur Ave for the locals), I guess changing lanes into the empty lane to his right was too much trouble, much better to endanger my life instead. Naturally I caught him at the next intersection, where he demonstrated that not only was he blind but he was also deaf, my window knocking and polite words went completely unheeded. How do these people manage to keep hold of their drivers licence?!
he's thinking "oh shoot i'm in for it now.. just play it cool, pretend like there's nothing going on" :)

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:24 am

jules21 wrote:
nescius wrote:2. Moron Magna driver passed me way too close on a near empty road that was two lanes each way (Macarthur Ave for the locals), I guess changing lanes into the empty lane to his right was too much trouble, much better to endanger my life instead. Naturally I caught him at the next intersection, where he demonstrated that not only was he blind but he was also deaf, my window knocking and polite words went completely unheeded. How do these people manage to keep hold of their drivers licence?!
he's thinking "oh shoot i'm in for it now.. just play it cool, pretend like there's nothing going on" :)
I've been thinking that one of these might be handy for the deaf motorists lately ;).

Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:32 am

Boognoss wrote:
jules21 wrote:
I've been thinking that one of these might be handy for the deaf motorists lately ;).

is it wrong that I was looking for one that weighs less? :oops:

Bah77

Postby Bah77 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:34 am

Summernight wrote:That's just a recipe to be pulled over by police with that buzzing mosquito noise. Why not have an electric version that's dead quiet and more incognito? :|
Unless he is riding it through southbank with the motor running, you'd never see a cop on those cycle paths? I know i haven't. Just don't use the engine on where the path crosses the road.

An electric setup would also cost heaps more than just bolting on a motor wouldn't it? I'd say cheap and fast was probably more this guys thinking.