Moron Motorists #3

jasonc

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby jasonc » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:51 pm

Bianchicam - i have a Google sheet where i keep track of all my submissions. Edit: Most common response is nothing wrong. Second most common is nothing

BianchiCam

Postby BianchiCam » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:27 pm

I have yet to have any case dismissed on basis of measurements.
Never. Ever.
All come within
something smells.

Ross

Postby Ross » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:45 pm

Zac Efron nearly got hit by a bus when Hugh Jackman took him out cycling on the streets of London

http://metro.co.uk/2017/12/30/zac-efron ... n-7191832/

Asked about training with Hugh for the film, Zac says, ‘I cycled with him in London but I’m not one to ride a bike early in the morning in traffic so it turned out to be quite dangerous.

‘I followed Hugh around a few cars and suddenly there was a double decker bus right in front of me.

‘I slammed on the brakes, went under the front tyre and narrowly missed death.

‘Hugh was on the other side of the road and stuck up his thumb and just said, “You good? Let’s go.”‘

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:48 pm

Is it just the reporting or do drug affected drivers tend to kill others rather than themselves? I guess if that's the case its because the front of the car has better protection for the occupants than the side of the car.

And to make this tragedy worse, the survivors had their phones stolen while in hospital

https://www.9news.com.au/national/2018/01/02/10/24/man-to-face-court-after-phones-stolen-from-christmas-day-crash-victims-bedside
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:24 pm

mikesbytes wrote:Is it just the reporting or do drug affected drivers tend to kill others rather than themselves? I guess if that's the case its because the front of the car has better protection for the occupants than the side of the car.

And to make this tragedy worse, the survivors had their phones stolen while in hospital

https://www.9news.com.au/national/2018/01/02/10/24/man-to-face-court-after-phones-stolen-from-christmas-day-crash-victims-bedside

I recall reading that alcohol affected persons may have a better chance of reducing body trauma on account of their body being relaxed at the point of impact. Iow being so out of it that you don't spontaneously tense up to resist impact can help distribute the force more evenly.
Go!Run!GAH!

silentC

Postby silentC » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:35 pm

Don't know but the guy who was on his way home from the methadone clinic when he wiped out 3 of a family of 4 didn't survive the experience...

I don't think driving whilst on methadone is illegal per se, only if it affects your driving ability. Not sure how they establish that. According to some sources there is no evidence that it affects your ability to control a motor vehicle, but the Australian Police website suggests that it does. Quite possibly it made him drowsy and he lost focus or fell asleep.

Which begs the question if you disregard the warnings and drive after taking cold and flu tabs, it that illegal? I don't think it is but it could well lead to an accident. Some prescription drugs can also affect your ability to drive. For example my father takes medication for restless leg syndrome but it makes him drowsy, so he avoids taking it when he has to drive.
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

Ross

Postby Ross » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:55 pm

Elderly motorist driving Car crashes into Giant Adelaide bike shop in Hindmarsh Square (my correction of the headline... :roll: )

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/law- ... 1e03bbf333

A CAR has crashed into the Giant Adelaide bike shop in Hindmarsh Square, causing up to $100,000 of damage.

The driver, in his 80s, had parked in front of the Giant bike store and hit the accelerator when he thought he was reversing about 11.20am on Tuesday.

But the hatchback drove forward, mowing down a metal bollard, the $30,000 glass sliding door and 20 high-end mountain bikes worth $150,000 at the front of the store. :(

Store manager Sean Reynolds had to help the shocked driver reverse the car to “get it off the counter”.

“I opened up the car door and the elderly gentleman was there with his foot still flat to the floor,” he said. :shock:

“The wheels were just spinning up against the counter.”

“I reached in to turn the ignition off and take his foot off the accelerator but didn’t know where the rest of our staff were.”

PA

Postby PA » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:35 pm

Have to admire the old drivers competitive spirit, still going for maximum points.

Glad there were no injuries.
In the morning, we RIDE.

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:41 pm

Since bicycles were involved, I guess he will get off the hook with SMIDSY
Go!Run!GAH!

Ross

Postby Ross » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:59 pm

Some more MM news...

https://policenews.act.gov.au/news/medi ... rit-period

ACT Policing is disappointed with the disregard shown on our roads over the Christmas period and are calling for drivers to take more responsibility on our roads as we head into 2018.

Operation Safe Christmas / New Year was conducted between Friday 22 December 2017 and Monday 1 January 2018.

Unfortunately, officers from the Traffic Operations Team had to deal with a number of drivers who have not got the message about safety on our roads.

Detective Acting Station Sergeant Marcus Boorman said “while most drivers are doing the right thing, it is frustrating that some show a blatant disregard for not only their own safety but the safety of all road users through excessive speed, drink and drug driving”.

“My team issued 297 infringements during the Double Demerit period with the majority of these being related to excessive speed. This type of behaviour is reckless and can have disastrous consequences” Acting Station Sergeant Boorman said.

Examples of excessive speeding detected by police during the Double Demerit period include:

• 172km/h in 80km/h zone – Drakeford Drive
• 149km/h in 100km/h zone - Majura Parkway
• 155km/h in 60km/h zone - Springvale Drive (residential street)
• 106km/h in 60km/h zone - Aranda
• 150km/h in 100km/h zone - Majura Parkway (driver also charged with drug driving)

In addition to numerous speeding infringements, the Traffic Operations Team conducted 9000 Random Breath Tests resulting in the apprehension of 20 drink drivers and 108 Random Drug Tests from which 27 drivers tested positive to prohibited substances.

A female driver, with three children in the vehicle, returned a blood alcohol level of 0.107, which is more than double the legal limit. Another driver was detected with a blood alcohol level of 0.176, over three times the legal limit.

Six drivers were also apprehended for driving while disqualified.

Ross

Postby Ross » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:02 pm

But wait...there's more

Police investigate after motorist speeds down bike path and footbridge in Isaacs

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-new ... 0bwki.html

People were forced to get out of the way for safety as a motorist hurtled at speed down a bike path and footbridge at Isaacs on New Year's Eve, police say.

Police are seeking witnesses after seeing the driver in a stolen white Nissan Pulsar on the green belt next to Yamba Drive about 7am.

The driver failed to stop when directed by police and then drove in an erratically toward Mawson.

They said the vehicle was driven at speed on the bike path and across a foot bridge, causing at least two people to get out of the way to avoid being hit.

Police believe there were numerous people on the bike path that may have seen the incident and ask they contact police on 131 444.

Alternatively, information can be provided anonymously via Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000, or via the Crime Stoppers ACT website.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:04 pm

Ross wrote:Elderly motorist driving Car crashes into Giant Adelaide bike shop in Hindmarsh Square (my correction of the headline... :roll: )

He's going to be hero on the FB bogan pages

uart

Postby uart » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:21 pm

Cheesewheel wrote:Since bicycles were involved, I guess he will get off the hook with SMIDSY

Yes, the police have already said that "he did the best he could" and that "no charges would be laid". (joking)

PA

Postby PA » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:42 pm

uart wrote:
Cheesewheel wrote:Since bicycles were involved, I guess he will get off the hook with SMIDSY

Yes, the police have already said that "he did the best he could" and that "no charges would be laid". (joking)

How could they lay any charges, the eight unlicensed unregistered cyclists had all left the scene. :D
In the morning, we RIDE.

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:46 am

solmanic
Location: The glorious hills of the Sunshine Coast hinterland

Postby solmanic » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:35 am

Ross wrote:Elderly motorist driving Car crashes into Giant Adelaide bike shop in Hindmarsh Square (my correction of the headline... :roll: )

And yes, it's a Peugeot driver!

CaffeineAU

Postby CaffeineAU » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:41 am

I have a Peugeot, and I haven't driven into even a single shop!

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:24 pm

CaffeineAU wrote:I have a Peugeot, and I haven't driven into even a single shop!

It’s only a matter of time!
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

TrikeTragic

Postby TrikeTragic » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:17 pm

Drive in local cycle shops: now there's a business opportunity if I ever heard one. "Would you like a bidon with that group set, sir?" :)

Cheers
Alan
BentCyclist

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:48 pm

TrikeTragic wrote:Drive in local cycle shops: now there's a business opportunity if I ever heard one. "Would you like a bidon with that group set, sir?" :)

Cheers

It's the opportunity to sell you a bike rack

Spent a few hours riding through bianchicam's area this morning. I reckon i had more close passes this morning than i had all of last year. Had my fly 12 on so will have a look at the footage when i get home

kenwstr

Postby kenwstr » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:30 pm

I'm in shock! Today, I indicated to merge across (no lane marking) to pass a parked car and the following car (about to overtake) actually backed off and let me come across and pass the parked car......... :shock:

No seriously, this actually happened.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:38 pm

kenwstr wrote:I'm in shock! Today, I indicated to merge across (no lane marking) to pass a parked car and the following car (about to overtake) actually backed off and let me come across and pass the parked car......... :shock:

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:51 pm

kenwstr wrote:I'm in shock! Today, I indicated to merge across (no lane marking) to pass a parked car and the following car (about to overtake) actually backed off and let me come across and pass the parked car......... :shock:

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:38 pm

uart

Postby uart » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:29 pm

mikesbytes wrote:Appears to have been hit by his own mate, who was hooning

Arh! With moron friends like that who needs enemies!

Return to “General Cycling Discussion”