Moron Motorists #3

DG1984

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby DG1984 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:30 pm

I'd be demanding to speak to someone else - that is disgraceful. Couldn't make out the plate on the YouTube video - is it in the higher res version straight off the camera?

BianchiCam

Postby BianchiCam » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:00 pm

No usable footage of the rego plate. Guy was hurtling along and I really am not that impressed with the fly 12.

BianchiCam

Postby BianchiCam » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:05 pm

AUbicycles wrote:BianchiCam - can you give a short summary as I only have the second part. Do you have video of the truck for the first occasion?
Chris, don't fully understand what you are asking mate. The other two shaves are tagged to the video. One from May and the other from November 2015.
The only other trucks (prime movers) with those colors are a fruit and veg supplier but they have all the livery.

Cam

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:42 pm

Didn't realise it was compiled in the same video.

I agree, the first and second truck do appear to be the same - or at least are an identical make and model based on distinguishing features (and match the 3rd truck).

The night time footage will be the hardest to decipher (to confirm) however there are a few fragments available in the compressed youtube version - so with the original and scrubbing between frames, you hopefully will be able to confirm some of the characters to get a 'fairly good' match.

If you really get stuck with this, let me know and I can see if I can any further.

--

It is horrendous driving and particularly with the first which very clearly push you over with the wind force. I think that you have sufficient footage which can also be checked (measured) to confirm that the truck driver has not passed safely - so check the Victorian laws to know under exactly which law the driver could be prosecuted. You now need to have the conviction to follow through and be prepared to go to court - when you let the officer know this, they know you are serious.

--

The second thing is to try and identify the workplace (etc). Obviously do this safely and also without sharing details online. If struggling to get action by the police and the driver is an employee, their employer wont be pleased to learn about the behaviour of the driver.

Cheers
Christopher
Cycling is in my BNA

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:43 pm

Bianchicam, can you PM me your email address? I'll send you a copy of my original covering letter, my initial statement and the final, formal written police statement.

Mine seems to be getting traction but is still in progress. The young officer was quite confident of getting a conviction when we parted after meeting last weekend.

Going to the front desk and making a verbal complaint you are always going to get these lazy coppers trying to put you off becasue it is easy to do so. We need to distinguish ourselves, and convince them we will make it worth their while and back them up if they put the effort in to go to court. Chasing up this offense is going to involve them in several hours worth of work at a minimum. We need to respect that and match the commitment.

I dealt with that particular buyer's objection up front. I sent my formal letter of complaint and version of events with still image captures, one of which was edited to show measurements, with a copy of the DVD by registered mail and stated clearly that I expected the guy to be TIN'd and if necessary I would be available to testify if needed.

My intent was to send two messages:
1: I am serious and will follow you up, and I am establishing a paper trail because I intend to demand an accounting if nothing happens
2: I understand the constraints they operate under and will back them up.

It took me a few hours to get the first one sorted. Hopefully subsequent reports won't be so time-consuming.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:06 pm

BianchiCam, surly the single incident with identifiable number plate should be sufficient for an infringement to be issued. Do we have to wait for someone to be killed before they are issued with a $300 fine?
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

BianchiCam

Postby BianchiCam » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:38 pm

Thanks guys, and TG I shall get in touch.
Felt quite despondent today at work and was a grumpy furter (I'm a chef, so probably goes with the territory)
Anyhoo, got to thinking black thoughts when I checked my phone after work (5pm) and no messages/missed calls from the cops.

Got home and had a play at the three vids using all the software I had.
This was a good thing as I put on my detective hat for a bit and tried to find similarities in all three.
The main vids to compare are the one with the front number plate that was taken in NOV 2015 and the one taken on the 21st Thursday of July.
The Nov vid was taken with the rear Fly 6, the latest one with the Fly 12 (fly 6 was on but can't see a dam thing as the lens got all mucky from wet dirty roads)
Even managed to get the first letter of the trailer, comparable decals on the side of the rig. Lack of any business signage on either videos and a couple of others. There is no doubt this is the same truck.
This driver needs a hiding. Twice I've had to bail now.
There must be other riders who have had contact with this moron.
I have since fired off an email and cc'd another officer who also rides, so there is now someone else in the picture.
Pretty sure BB is watching!
Will update.

BianchiCam

Postby BianchiCam » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:43 pm

mikesbytes wrote:BianchiCam, surly the single incident with identifiable number plate should be sufficient for an infringement to be issued. Do we have to wait for someone to be killed before they are issued with a $300 fine?
That was a crap overtake for sure with an oncoming car coming the other way. But I'd either being recently brushed off with a previous incident or I knew the cops would do little. all we can do in Vic is push for careless driving and I dont think that would have been taken up.
Dont go forward with Vic Police cos someone passed too close. No harm no foul down here. You need to have your life flash before your eyes or even better get killed before much happens down here.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:33 pm

BianchiCam wrote:
mikesbytes wrote:BianchiCam, surly the single incident with identifiable number plate should be sufficient for an infringement to be issued. Do we have to wait for someone to be killed before they are issued with a $300 fine?
That was a crap overtake for sure with an oncoming car coming the other way. But I'd either being recently brushed off with a previous incident or I knew the cops would do little. all we can do in Vic is push for careless driving and I dont think that would have been taken up.
Dont go forward with Vic Police cos someone passed too close. No harm no foul down here. You need to have your life flash before your eyes or even better get killed before much happens down here.
Disappointing

What about;
1. sending it to the company expressing your concern that someone could get killed
2. and when you get no reasonable response, sending it to the media communicating the danger and the lack of a suitable response from either the company or the police

BianchiCam

Postby BianchiCam » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:19 pm

No company signage. One man operation by the looks of it. In the hands of the cops but now that I have shown that is more than likely it's the same truck, I am not so worried if they take a few days to investigate.
Otherwise all the driver of 1PB 4 U G could say was " oh no, wasn't driving along that road, or can't remember" because there (was) reasonable doubt it was the same truck.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:39 pm

Riding along waterworks road this afternoon when a dinky 4wd wannabe like a rav4 went past. Front passenger and rear passenger (just kids) yelled some obseneties out. Riding along and was just about to catch up (within 100m) when it swerved into my lane to undertake traffic waiting at the red light that just changed to green and raced up behind the cyclist infront of me. Saw the passenger put his head out the window. What i wasnt expecting was to see the rear door open. Thankfully the driver swerved back into but bloody hell. Went flying past the other cyclist and set a few prs but couldnt get a good read of the plate.

Bloody interstate idiots.

TheShadow

Postby TheShadow » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:45 am

Lukeyboy wrote:Riding along waterworks road this afternoon when a dinky 4wd wannabe like a rav4 went past. Front passenger and rear passenger (just kids) yelled some obseneties out. Riding along and was just about to catch up (within 100m) when it swerved into my lane to undertake traffic waiting at the red light that just changed to green and raced up behind the cyclist infront of me. Saw the passenger put his head out the window. What i wasnt expecting was to see the rear door open. Thankfully the driver swerved back into but bloody hell. Went flying past the other cyclist and set a few prs but couldnt get a good read of the plate.

Bloody interstate idiots.
He's probably the nephew of IntheWoods neighbour (the one with the diesel 'Cruiser/Patrol with bar, wheels, lift kit) over at the The Gap, and on his way home from a family reunion there.
But opening the rear door, I can't say that I've seen that one before. All I can say to be optimistic is that your observations indicates a high probability that Darwin's Law will remove them from the roads sooner rather than later, and it will be another car that does the job. It will be recorded as "just an accident" in the statistics.

r2160

Postby r2160 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:30 pm

Currently at Fairfield Police reporting this

The trucks rear wheel guard actually brushed my elbow
-----------
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever" Lance Armstrong

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:23 pm

TheShadow wrote:He's probably the nephew of IntheWoods neighbour (the one with the diesel 'Cruiser/Patrol with bar, wheels, lift kit) over at the The Gap, and on his way home from a family reunion there.
But opening the rear door, I can't say that I've seen that one before. All I can say to be optimistic is that your observations indicates a high probability that Darwin's Law will remove them from the roads sooner rather than later, and it will be another car that does the job. It will be recorded as "just an accident" in the statistics.
Past me outside The Gap park and ride. Nearly dooring the other cyclist happened outside The Gap Village shopping center....

And its the second time I've seen a passenger open the side door when near a cyclist.

TheWall

Postby TheWall » Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:18 pm

r2160 wrote:Currently at Fairfield Police reporting this

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EwF9ybQU42w

Hit and run...b@st@rd!! Wow...changing lanes is like so hard!?!

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:38 pm

r2160 wrote:Currently at Fairfield Police reporting this

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EwF9ybQU42w

Wow certainly report that.

But when there is a truck behind you and the lane is not wide enough to share, its even more important to take the lane. When I'm on Waterworks rd (the one Lukey just mentioned), the bigger the vehicle approaching me, the wider I will ride in the lane.

I don't feel it was malicious as such, in that he had hung back and only slowly passed you, I think it was just really poor (and dangerous) driving.

r2160

Postby r2160 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:44 pm

While I appreciate your view, the worst part is that the truck is a LEFT HAND DRIVE. Which means the driver knew EXACTLY how close he was to me
-----------
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever" Lance Armstrong

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:09 pm

The drivers concern was not loosing a few seconds commuting. The safety of other road users was less important

duncanm

Postby duncanm » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:48 pm

mikesbytes wrote:The drivers concern was not loosing a few seconds commuting. The safety of other road users was less important
in a garbage truck? Interesting...

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:51 pm

r2160 - if the driver touched you then it is technically a collision. With the size / weight of the truck, it is understandable that it didn't register with the driver that they made contact with you, though it doesn't excuse the risky and unsafe overtaking.

Trailgumby has been providing good guidance with regard to formalising this with the Police and ensuring that you are prepared to go to court - which is a must for anyone serious about getting a result.

If this is active with the Police - during the process you may want to limit the information you now share until it is over.
Cycling is in my BNA

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:08 pm

r2160 wrote:While I appreciate your view, the worst part is that the truck is a LEFT HAND DRIVE. Which means the driver knew EXACTLY how close he was to me
In addition AFAIK garbage trucks are dual control and while they are not in a 'picking up' area the drivers are meant to be driving from the right. The driver does appear to be in the left position, but is a bit hard to see, and he certainly doesn't appear to be stopping to pick up bins either.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

PA

Postby PA » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:23 pm

bychosis wrote:
r2160 wrote:While I appreciate your view, the worst part is that the truck is a LEFT HAND DRIVE. Which means the driver knew EXACTLY how close he was to me
In addition AFAIK garbage trucks are dual control and while they are not in a 'picking up' area the drivers are meant to be driving from the right. The driver does appear to be in the left position, but is a bit hard to see, and he certainly doesn't appear to be stopping to pick up bins either.
Just cyclists.
Mouse magnet

citywomble

Postby citywomble » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:02 pm

Hi r2160,

Actually very easy to see the driver is on the LHS at about 27 sec. He clearly picks up something shiny (a phone.?) and looks at it (perhaps pressing the text button to read a message) That might also explain why he hangs back much longer than necessary, nothing to do with giving room to a cyclist. This is classic behaviour from a driver reading a text - hence the delayed movement until about 37 sec when he can be seen moving something's again.

Conjecture I admit, but clearly in the LH seat.

Absolutely shocking driving, potentially lethal and, with the new overtaking laws in NSW, unequivocally illegal.

BianchiCam

Postby BianchiCam » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:13 am

Sure will be many many butt hurt morons down this way when Vic finally drags itself into line with other states.
Reading many of the comments on the vid I posted with the truck.
Some are in complete denial of road rules it is absolutely frightening.
Now I'm off to buy a helmet cam. Something small like the Drift Stealth 2.

silentC

Postby silentC » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:28 am

I don't see much butt-hurting going on here. But then I don't know of any of our bunch here who has referred a close pass. One of the guys is a highway patrol cop and he has 3 on video, and another guy has couple as well. The cop prefers to deal with it by speaking to the driver himself. It's a shame because he is a perfect witness and it would help the stats. At the moment, if you look at the number of people booked for close passes, it would seem that it rarely ever happens.

Meanwhile I had a guy come up behind me about 7:30 yesterday morning and give me a blast. I turned around and gave him the finger, so he sped around me (blind left-hander in a 50 zone). At the T intersection we had been approaching, we're both turning right, and I pulled up next to him. He just wanted to shout at me from the safety of his car, so I let him know what I thought of him too.

One of the guys reckons it's the Aussie diet that causes it. Too much red meat...
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me