Moron Motorists #3

khendar

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby khendar » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:36 pm

fat and old wrote:Cyclist killed by truck this morning down the road from me, on Victoria Rd, Northcote.

Interesting that Fairfax has placed a vid of do and don't for car/cyclist interactions....and it's good.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/cycli ... zjynj.html

BianchiCam and summerknight....famous again!
Bloody hell! I felt that last one with the taxi in my teeth.

RIP

jimmyjames

Postby jimmyjames » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:08 pm

fat and old wrote:Cyclist killed by truck this morning down the road from me, on Victoria Rd, Northcote.
Pretty scary - I rode past there about 10 mins after the accident and paramedics were performing CPR. Not cool.

I would probably ride down Victoria Rd 4 days out of 5... will have to be more careful along there from now on.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:32 pm

Interesting that Fairfax has placed a vid of do and don't for car/cyclist interactions....and it's good.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/cycli ... zjynj.html

BianchiCam and summerknight....famous again!
Yeah, it is quite a good video but the first scene is a car approaching the corner of Flinders and Swanston Sts from Swanston St heading South. Um, cars are not allowed on that bit of road, why was it there?

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

BianchiCam

Postby BianchiCam » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:14 pm

Some of the comments on that poor bloke are just unbelievable. Especially after the young girl getting hit by the hit and run. Only enforces the view that victim blaming is alive and well if you are an older rider.

Still seething even after 2 years of that truck pass. No newspapers would touch it even after i spoke with the Age and also Mick O'Reilly SMH. To this day. I still dont understand why they never picked it up. It had police incompetence, multiple video of same truck.
I pretty much handed the police my own investigation to find out if it was the same driver in all 3 passes.
It was. And the 'help' from police? Sweet fa. Might even post up the very first email i recieved from police regarding my complaint and very near death. 2 years has passed so it may be time. Still have all the files, all the video and all the correspondance.
Leaving Vic was the best thing i did. Even jf some police up here are mupoets too.
Cam

Scott No Mates

Postby Scott No Mates » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:21 pm

I really should take up cycling!

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:34 pm

BianchiCam wrote:Still seething even after 2 years of that truck pass. No newspapers would touch it even after i spoke with the Age and also Mick O'Reilly SMH. To this day. I still dont understand why they never picked it up. It had police incompetence, multiple video of same truck.
It's just journalists Cam. I'm getting the same overpromise underdeliver from Bicycling Australia at the moment. Too much else going on, or maybe they get inundated with people wanting them to write on stuff and we just get lost in the snowstorm.

Hence I ended up doing my own write-up.

http://www.simplycyclingtraining.com/mi ... ce-part-1/

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:22 am

jimmyjames wrote:
Pretty scary - I rode past there about 10 mins after the accident and paramedics were performing CPR. Not cool.

I would probably ride down Victoria Rd 4 days out of 5... will have to be more careful along there from now on.
Same here. I've never felt it was dodgy before.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:51 pm

Ross wrote:Dashcam footage shows runaway car ploughing into vehicle in Melbourne

http://www.news.com.au/technology/innov ... d320c22ee0
DASHCAM footage has captured the dramatic moment that an out-of-control car smashes into a parked vehicle, crushing it before ploughing into the side of a hospital.

The video shows the car driving out of the carpark of the Austin Hospital in Heidelberg in Melbourne’s northeast at 5.17pm on Thursday before losing control as it crosses Burgundy St.

The car careers over an embankment and crushes into the parked vehicle’s front windscreen.

Mr Fisher said he believed no one had been injured in the crash except for the driver, who was in a stable condition.

“He was conscious walking out of the car from what I understand … I spoke to his son and he said he was 96 years old but the looking all right,” he said.

I saw the driver interview on the news last night :X
A great little precis about what is wrong with our licensing system with respect to elderly drivers :roll:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... crash.html

A 96-year-old World War II veteran who launched into parked cars has blamed his vehicle for the accident, saying modern pedals are 'the stupidest bloody thing they ever invented'.

'That's the stupidest bloody thing they ever invented putting two pedals an inch apart.'

His driver's licence is now being reviewed, and Victoria Police will conduct a medical review before determining if Mr Whitworth will be able to stay behind the wheel.
He isn't quite ready to give up driving just yet.
'If you can drive better than I can good luck to you, I've been driving since 1941,' he said.
The family of a 96-year-old WWII veteran caught in a terrifying car accident that saw him 'fly' over a parked vehicle say they warned him four years ago to give up his licence.

Silly old fool still can't see he lacks the requisite ability to safely operate a motorvehicle and wants to keep driving.
Seriously, how many people have to be badly injured or killed before the system is reviewed. Sheer dumb luck nobody was in this case.
Without that monumental display of incompetence (which the driver blames the car for :x :x ) this dangerous individual would not be having his licence reviewed.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:06 pm

'That's the stupidest bloody thing they ever invented putting two pedals an inch apart.'
Only been that way since... probably when he started driving. Some would say that having only two pedals to choose from is an improvement to having three, plus a headlight dimmer.
'If you can drive better than I can good luck to you, I've been driving since 1941,' he said.
The family of a 96-year-old WWII veteran caught in a terrifying car accident that saw him 'fly' over a parked vehicle say they warned him four years ago to give up his licence.
Somebody is living in denial. :roll:
Silly old fool still can't see he lacks the requisite ability to safely operate a motorvehicle and wants to keep driving.
Seriously, how many people have to be badly injured or killed before the system is reviewed. Sheer dumb luck nobody was in this case.
Without that monumental display of incompetence (which the driver blames the car for :x :x ) this dangerous individual would not be having his licence reviewed.
This is a massive problem.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

westab

Postby westab » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:55 pm

I agree that it is an issue - but lets not kid ourselves. If we think it is only an issue for those the other side of 70 / 80 / 90.... (please choose whichever age you think appropriate).

I think retaining a drivers licence is a privilege and one that should be continually earned. I have not been tested on any competence for my driving since 1988 - and whilst I keep up to date with most rule changes driving has changed so much since then and then the cars have changed.

With my work I'm a "first aider" and I have to do my CPR every year for something I hopefully never need; and most likely never will - don't you think that we should have to do some sort hazard perception test(at the Roads office) every 10 years and in the 5 years in-between your spend 15 min in a simulator checking on your skills and abilities to control a vehicle.

It might actually reduce the more than 1000 people we kill on the roads every year - and help us all be educated closer towards best practice.
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:29 pm

westab wrote:don't you think that we should have to do some sort hazard perception test(at the Roads office) every 10 years and in the 5 years in-between your spend 15 min in a simulator checking on your skills and abilities to control a vehicle.

It might actually reduce the more than 1000 people we kill on the roads every year - and help us all be educated closer towards best practice.
Absolutely. This would be the simplest way to increase driver knowledge. Sit some sort of computer based test every 5 years. You need to go in there and get a photo anyway, why not answer a few questions and see if you can avoid a simulated targets before you get your photo taken.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:51 am

Yeh I too have to do CPR every year and First Aid every 3 years. And like most I haven't had any form of driving test since the 20th century.

Part of the problem the 96 year old has with loosing his license is the dependency on driving that is induced by a car mentality society resulting in poor infrastructure for cycling and poor public transport.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

BianchiCam

Postby BianchiCam » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:55 pm

Had a response for this yesterday.
Officer could not move on this as it does not show 'beyond reasonable doubt'
Used the cosine effect with cameras and says he could not be sure the vehicle did not cross the centre lines
Offered to send him the edited video (Only sent screenshots through hoonline) but he was not interested in taking it further.
I need to work on my technique.
Thoughts?

kenwstr

Postby kenwstr » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:51 am

Having seen many videos with calibration lines, if the tyres cross the lower edge of the frame, the motor vehicle is too close. In this case though, the camera appears to be off axis, that is not aligned with the bikes centre line. The lens axis is angled across the road somewhat. If you set some measured out tapes on the ground and photograph that with the camera in the exact same alignment, you will have some calibration marks to put over the image. Best is if you do a grid so you have both side clearance and fore/aft distances. That way you can clearly show the angle the car is travelling and whether it will obtains 1.5 m by the time it pass you. In this case though, it seems pretty clear to me that it didn't. I have to assume the cop just doesn't want to be bothered with it.

In any case, it's still an illegal overtake as the car is sharing the same lane with you.
If you project the centre line of the road and the track of the car tyres, I suspect these lines will show there is no way the car could possibly have changed into the overtaking lane.

You can also scale across the lane, parallel with the lower edge of the frame. Compare this with a measurement of the lane width will give you the distance from the car to the lane edge. It is then simple maths to calculate the maximum possible clearance from the bike if you assume the bike is more left than it obviously is just to make the point. It is difficult to get the true position of the bike as it is not on the lens axis.

Ken

BianchiCam

Postby BianchiCam » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:09 am

You are travelling at around 22 m per sec at 80 klicks so unless the elderly lady suddenly swerved into the other lane then back within a second.
Well. Im going with, 'put in the too hard basket' and blame the prosecutors as is what happened.

Ross

Postby Ross » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:32 pm

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-new ... zo2eb.html
A Canberra motorist had a hair raising experience in the city on Saturday morning.

A car travelling on the on-ramp from London Circuit onto Commonwealth Avenue collided with the guard rail and became wedged on the structure.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:52 pm

^ a gold camry. No more needs to be said

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:54 pm

BianchiCam wrote:Had a response for this yesterday.
Officer could not move on this as it does not show 'beyond reasonable doubt'
Used the cosine effect with cameras and says he could not be sure the vehicle did not cross the centre lines
Offered to send him the edited video (Only sent screenshots through hoonline) but he was not interested in taking it further.
I need to work on my technique.
Thoughts?

Send it to him anyway, on DVD, with a covering letter. You know where to find a template 8)

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:57 pm

Ross wrote:http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-new ... zo2eb.html
A Canberra motorist had a hair raising experience in the city on Saturday morning.

A car travelling on the on-ramp from London Circuit onto Commonwealth Avenue collided with the guard rail and became wedged on the structure.

A hair raising experience, collided with the guard rail?

So it just happened did it? The way it is written is as if the driver had nothing to do with the accident.

What a ridiculous way of describing the accident.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

BianchiCam

Postby BianchiCam » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:44 pm

That should really read. 'A guardrail collided with a car'

human909

Postby human909 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:37 am

Odd thing. It doesn't seem to be an impediment to police to press dangerous driving charges when their own lives are at risk.
https://mypolice.qld.gov.au/blog/2017/1 ... glenorchy/
https://www.facebook.com/QueenslandPoli ... mYYIAqGBF4

$2500 fine and 6 months loss of licence...

Yet motorists who cause harm or kill cyclists from similarly reckless dangerous driving regularly get off with far less.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:03 am

Qld police self protectionism is rife

BianchiCam

Postby BianchiCam » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:10 pm

I concur

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:00 pm

Some older footage of a WA driver so distracted by their mobile that they don't notice the cop trying to pull them over. The footage starts on Kings Park Road where a texting driver killed a cyclist 2 years earlier:

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:26 am

Scott_C wrote:The footage starts on Kings Park Road where a texting driver killed a cyclist 2 years earlier:
BTW what was the outcome of that for the driver?