Moron Motorists #3

InTheWoods

Moron Motorists #3

Postby InTheWoods » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:26 pm

MM#2 got closed so I figured we could start a new thread that was back on topic.

I'll start

So its before peak hour, the roads are not particularly busy so traffic is moving well, and 890 RHK races up behind me and decides to honk the horn to make me get out of the way, even though they have a clear lane beside them. Then close shaves me to teach me a lesson. Watch from 2:15 for that bit. There is not enough room for a car and a bike to share a lane through a lot of parts of that road so I may as well legally sit wider where I'm more visible and don't have to put up with drivers sharing my lane while part of their car is in the next lane over (which is illegal).

Doing 30+kmh on the uphills and up to 52kmh on the downhills.

The psychedelic colours are due to the camera. New one is in the post :)

skull

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby skull » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:32 pm

riding on acid.

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:33 pm

skull wrote:riding on acid.
Yeh maybe the colour changing car was all in my imagination :)

Biffidus

Postby Biffidus » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:28 am

I saw a lady reading a book while driving at 90km/h on the way home today. She was all over the place too.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:36 am

Really makes you think about some of the drivers out there.

The other day I was on a recovery ride going along Sandgate road past the servo there. I was only going about 10-15kph at the time. Crossed the first driveway and looked to see if anyone was pulling out and I see a car driving slowly out from behind one of the futherest away fuel bays. Just before I crossed the second driveway I check again and she was still a distance away creeping... going slowly. Got halfway across and suddenly the car is just a few metres from me with what looked like a phone in hand looking the complete and opposite way. She slams on the brakes and just misses taking out my rear wheel. Before I even came to a stop to say a few choice words she was speeding off along the road. I reckon she pulled out from the bay and then got/sent a text message. She then looked up and saw the break in traffic through the empty bays so she gunned it. She then quickly looked to the left for anyone one the footpath but failed to correctly check for oncomming traffic instead focusing on beating the traffic. If I had of caught up to her at the next set of lights she would have heard a few words from me and maybe missing a side mirror :lol:. Seriously there are some numbnut drivers out there. Even if she had seen me and stopped she still would have been able to get out ahead of the oncomming traffic :roll:

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:03 am

Bloke behind me on the Gateway motorway the other day, smoke in one hand, mobile phone in the other. :evil:
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

darkelf921

Postby darkelf921 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:04 pm

I had a close call at a roundabout the other day:

http://youtu.be/V07mtVNATl8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Swearing was inevitable as I didn't see the car until it was almost upon me. Sound occurs faster than the video.
My YouTube http://goo.gl/UlJrkN Channel

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:25 pm

I'm so over idiot motorists, that I don't even bother commenting on them any more.

Two weeks ago I was approaching a two lane round about. I rode the shoulder "lane" until 50 metres before the round about, checked back behind me, and there was no traffic in sight (a good 100 metres to a set of lights), so I crossed over to the right lane as I was going around the round about taking the second exit from where I was entering.

20 metres before the round about this guy speeds up behind me, beeping his horn and yelling "get off the road", and then pulls in to the left lane next to me, continues beeping his horn and yelling at me to get off the road and threatening me with a beating. I didn't say a thing, just looked at him briefly, then concentrated on the round about to make sure there was no traffic coming around from the other directions.

He ended up going straight through the round about, while I went around to the right.

No other traffic, except for a white 4WD that came up behind him as he took off.

Some people are just w@nkers and not worth worrying about.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:47 pm

briztoon wrote:I'm so over idiot motorists, that I don't even bother commenting on them any more.

Two weeks ago I was approaching a two lane round about. I rode the shoulder "lane" until 50 metres before the round about, checked back behind me, and there was no traffic in sight (a good 100 metres to a set of lights), so I crossed over to the right lane as I was going around the round about taking the second exit from where I was entering.

20 metres before the round about this guy speeds up behind me, beeping his horn and yelling "get off the road", and then pulls in to the left lane next to me, continues beeping his horn and yelling at me to get off the road and threatening me with a beating. I didn't say a thing, just looked at him briefly, then concentrated on the round about to make sure there was no traffic coming around from the other directions.

He ended up going straight through the round about, while I went around to the right.

No other traffic, except for a white 4WD that came up behind him as he took off.

Some people are just w@nkers and not worth worrying about.

Well handled, didn't give him any oxygen, just the attention he deserved.....none.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

birdbrain

Postby birdbrain » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:41 pm

Whilst not cycling related my moron motorist award goes to the dopey P plater who drove her car into a tree yesterday morning. There were no other cars about so I suspect she was texting or playing with her phone. Daddy was there yelling and she was squating on the ground throwing her arms in the air. Looked like a fairly new Toyota about to be written off. Makes you think even more about your safety when riding when you see these brain dead idiots around.

Biffidus

Postby Biffidus » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:18 pm

I had a truck swerve around me this morning, cutting off another truck in the right lane. When the second second truck beeped the other one swerved back into his lane and brake checked him.

I couldn't make this stuff up.

I have two 100m stretches on my 20km commute where I have to claim the lane as the road is narrow with no bike lane and people just don't like to wait 20 seconds for me to get out of their way.

fingy

Postby fingy » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:22 pm

In an Ipod world of his own

Must...beat...bicycle...

Eyes painted on

rosscojj

Postby rosscojj » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:46 pm

A couple of Close Passes and SMIDSY's... last few rides have been good though after a bad streak.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:07 pm

fingy wrote:In an Ipod world of his own
cruze driver deserves a medal. well done
Eyes painted on
please report

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:34 pm

jasonc wrote:
Looking at that (bearing in mind it is difficult to tell with real certainty) i would say the cruze driver was the one who was most at fault. The magna certainly wasn't driving with any sort of predictability yet the cruze decided to speed up before they had any real idea what was going on. Especially as the magna was indicating, even if it was far too late.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:48 pm

ldrcycles wrote:
jasonc wrote:
Looking at that (bearing in mind it is difficult to tell with real certainty) i would say the cruze driver was the one who was most at fault. The magna certainly wasn't driving with any sort of predictability yet the cruze decided to speed up before they had any real idea what was going on. Especially as the magna was indicating, even if it was far too late.
understand what you're saying but they stopped in times. to me that means they were "driving to the conditions"
one of those ones where if you see a moron, you back off situations. unfortunately the late jim murcott driver training didn't teach that

human909

Postby human909 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:04 pm

InTheWoods wrote:There is not enough room for a car and a bike to share a lane through a lot of parts of that road so I may as well legally sit wider where I'm more visible and don't have to put up with drivers sharing my lane while part of their car is in the next lane over (which is illegal).
I cyclist should never have to justify him/herself for riding in a lane.
InTheWoods wrote:Doing 30+kmh on the uphills and up to 52kmh on the downhills.
Are you sure you aren't riding a motorbike?

duncanm

Postby duncanm » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:10 pm

jasonc wrote:
ldrcycles wrote:
jasonc wrote: cruze driver deserves a medal. well done
understand what you're saying but they stopped in times. to me that means they were "driving to the conditions"
one of those ones where if you see a moron, you back off situations. unfortunately the late jim murcott driver training didn't teach that
nup.. they weren't paying attention. Magna clearly had their right indicator on at 0:10 in the vid.

(edited: at 10s, it might be their one active brake light, but the indicator is definitely on at 0:12)

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:22 pm

human909 wrote:
InTheWoods wrote:Doing 30+kmh on the uphills and up to 52kmh on the downhills.
Are you sure you aren't riding a motorbike?
No, I just go at 95% through there so I can get somewhere quieter faster.

DentedHead

Postby DentedHead » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:44 am

I had a "Ute Ninja" tonight on the drive home from work. Approaching a set of triggered lights on a T intersection when they were changed and went red (I was a few hundred mt away). The intersection has a decent view of all approaches but I couldn't see what had triggered them, and assumed it must have been a Ped. As I approached, I saw a mud covered Ute pass under the street lights and turn right (into my lane). It was then I saw the faint glow from his tail-lights. I assume they were as mud covered as the rest of the Ute as I couldn't see them till he was pretty much parallel to me and well away from the street lights, and I never saw his headlights at all. By the time the lights changed again, he'd faded into the night, and I turned into my service lane access at the same lights.

No danger to me, but still damn stupid.

Dent.

Big_Red

Postby Big_Red » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:15 am

First page of MM3 and there are some absolute shockers sofar. Going to Daisy Hill Forest to do some bush bashing tomorrow on the mtb from 6.30am and will be glad to be off the roads if the above behaviour is anything to go by...

Postieboy

Postby Postieboy » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:25 am

Ooh goodie I've been waiting for this thread to start off again.

Here's one of mine from a while ago. I would have cleared that intersection in a matter of seconds.

Last edited by AUbicycles on Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: wrapped in the "Share Youtube" tag to fix the video display.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:32 am

Postieboy wrote:Ooh goodie I've been waiting for this thread to start off again.

Here's one of mine from a while ago. I would have cleared that intersection in a matter of seconds.

That one is def worth reporting to the transport company if you can work out who it is.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

lump_a_charcoal

Postby lump_a_charcoal » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:31 am

bychosis wrote:
Postieboy wrote:Ooh goodie I've been waiting for this thread to start off again.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/_d_yWKuJGe4[/youtube]
That one is def worth reporting to the transport company if you can work out who it is.
It is Cootes, as per 6 seconds in.

Try here.

http://www.ienergyservices.com/content_ ... istory.seo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

anonymousmoose

Postby anonymousmoose » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:55 am

InTheWoods wrote:MM#2 got closed so I figured we could start a new thread that was back on topic.

I'll start

So its before peak hour, the roads are not particularly busy so traffic is moving well, and 890 RHK races up behind me and decides to honk the horn to make me get out of the way, even though they have a clear lane beside them. Then close shaves me to teach me a lesson. Watch from 2:15 for that bit. There is not enough room for a car and a bike to share a lane through a lot of parts of that road so I may as well legally sit wider where I'm more visible and don't have to put up with drivers sharing my lane while part of their car is in the next lane over (which is illegal).

Doing 30+kmh on the uphills and up to 52kmh on the downhills.

The psychedelic colours are due to the camera. New one is in the post :)
Is it possible to forward that video to the traffic police? Maybe I missed it but did he also not indicate when overtaking you?